STARS 9 WEEK HOLIDAY CHALLENGE (CLOSED GROUP)

Options

Replies

• MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    QOTD - Thursday, September 29: What is one of your favourite recipes?

Apple Granola Breakfast Bowl

1 apple peeled and cut into chunks
    1 Nature Valley Granola Bar (½ of a 2 bar package)
    1 ½ tsp. sugar free vanilla pudding mix
    1 tsp. splenda
    1 ½ tsp. cornstarch
    ½ tsp. cinnamon
    Dash salt
    1/3 cup cold water

In a medium sized microwaveable bowl place pudding mix, splenda, cornstarch, cinnamon & salt. Add 1/3 cup cold water and stir until blended. Add apple chunks to the bowl and stir them in the mixture. Microwave for 2 ½ minutes but leave in microwave for another 90 seconds so it thickens up. Meanwhile crunch up granola bar in little pieces. Remove bowl from microwave and stir in granola bar pieces.
  • ChatSournois
    Options

Great question!-Looking forward to reading the recipes. My favourite is home made burger:

1 small onion
    1/4 of red pepper (capsicum)
    Teaspoon of olive oil
    Shake of paprika
    100g of 'Super Lean' beef steak mince
    'Rustic' bread bun

Dice the onion & pepper in to teeny cubes and then cook them in the olive oil, over a low heat. Throw in a shake of paprika and let them soften (but not brown). When they are cool, mix them with the mince and then shape in to a patty. I leave this in the fridge to firm up and then I cook it in the oven. Depending on your taste, you can add a slice of low fat cheese to your burger and some cherry tomatoes & lettuce. I serve it with a side salad with balsamic vinegar dressing.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

REcipes? Cooking? What's that?

We hardly ever cook anything. When we do it tends to look like:

Barilla Plus Spaghetti - 4 ounces
    1 tbls of olive oil with minced garlic and sliced onion cooked down in it, also whatever italianish spices I have.
    pre-cooked chicken dinner sausage heated up (like the kind they sell at costco)

toss the spaghetti in the oil. Add sausage. Win game.

I don't cook a ton of veggies because we don't cook enough to eat them before they go bad. I try to get in my veggies when I eat out
  • jereedy1089
    jereedy1089 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i LOVE white chicken chili too!!! I like to add diced fresh tomatoes, jalepenos, cayenne pepper, and diced green chiles in mine! Gives it a kick!
  • mrivera713
    mrivera713 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

I'm enjoying tuna melts

1 small can of drained tuna (water)
    1 Thomas' Bagel Thin (Whole Wheat)
    1 Roma tomato
    1 packet of mayo
    1 Slice of American Cheese

While the bagel is toasting I mix the mayo in the tuna and I slice my tomato. Once the bagel is toasted I put my tuna on the bagels, then 3 or 4 thin slices of tomatoes on each bagel and I use to use 2 slices of cheese, but for lower calories I will just split a slice of cheese and put it on each bagel...
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    09/28-2011 QOTD, Wednesday: Have you resolved any emotional issues connected to your weight? And What's the biggest one you have over come, if any?

Wow. This is a loaded question for me. I would say I have some resolved emotional issues and some unresolved. I too am an emotional eater. I also felt that I never quite measured up to expectations of growing up. I was also the victim of what for the purposes of my answer I will just say was "unwanted attention" in my late teens and again in my late twenties. Both times after successful weight loss. The instances ranged from minor to pretty serious and left me reeling from feelings that there was somthing wrong with me! Pretty sad for a young person with poor self esteem anyway.

So what did I do? I became a driven workaholic and became a succesful women that has the world at her fingertips. Except of course for the one thing that eludes me......a healthy body. I found I could medicate all of the feelings from all the things above by stuffing myself with the foods that made me fat again. Of course science tells us now that over feeding the body with bad carbs releases some of the same chemicals in the body that some drugs do. On the upside the unwanted attention stopped (sarcasm).

I have found that excercise has been a life saver in dealing with these feelings. I can feel them sweating right out of my body. I have found that medatative practices, such as prayer, soothing music and making oneself still can calm these feelings. Apparently answering these questions is pretty cathartic too because I feel pretty calm at the moment!
  • prizmaa
    prizmaa Posts: 62 Member
    Options

This is one of my favorite snack recipes!

Sticky Bars

-half a banana
    -1/4 cup of chunky peanut butter (natural and organic, if possible, without hydrogenated oils)
    -1 cup unsweetened granola
    -Wax Paper

Mix and mash ingredients in bowl.
    Spoon onto a sheet of wax paper. Roll up contents into a hot dog shape. Set in freezer for about 90 minutes.
    Cut into 4 parts. Eat frozen or throw in the microwave for 10 seconds.

This recipe is so easy and fast to make and it tastes really yummy! I prefer to eat mine frozen :)
  • jnell82
    jnell82 Posts: 136
    Options
    i LOVE white chicken chili too!!! I like to add diced fresh tomatoes, jalepenos, cayenne pepper, and diced green chiles in mine! Gives it a kick!

sounds yummy! I should try that!
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    QOTD - Thursday, September 29: What is one of your favorite recipes? (please share with your fellow stars)

I like this question. I have one but it's kinda of bad if you have no control.

So as many of you know I had kinda melt down yesterday. Not sure where all the emotions came from but they came on after I ate the below. So please beware.

Chocolate Banana Quesadilla - ok so I just came up with that name. :tongue:
    1 whole wheat tortilla
    1 small banana
    1-2 tbsp of Nutella
    sprinkle a cinnamon

Heat up a griddle spray with cooking spray. Spread the Nutella on the tortilla, add the cut up bananas fold in half and put on the griddle. Warm it threw on both side. Sprinkle some cinnamon on it and you have a AWESOME sweet snack.

Caution - it's very hard to limit the intake on this one, plus you have to watch what kind of tortilla you get. Go for something low carb, low sodium to save yourself some grief when indulging in this sinful snack.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Any good recipes and share

Unfortunately I don't have any good recipes but I am enjoying reading y'all's!
  • 6eighteen11
    Options
    QOTD - Thursday, September 29: What is one of your favourite recipes? (please share with your fellow stars)

I have a major sweet-tooth, and I love everything I've made so far from the blog Chocolate-Covered Katie!
  • mariahhatfield
    Options
    QOTD - Thursday, September 29: What is one of your favourite recipes? (please share with your fellow stars)

I love lasagna, and Betty Crocker does a good job at "healthifying" recipes. All the ones I've tried are delicious! This one is my favorite so far!

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/healthified-lasagna/8c5a7c36-02fb-4e4c-afad-352540dcb5dc
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options

I really don't have any recipes that can be written down. Most are just thrown together and don't have set measurments.
  • Eatone1
    Eatone1 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Here's a Weight Watchers recipe that I've had for years but just recently tried and LOVED it. I made this for my mom over the summer and she and my hubby raved over it. I've made it a few times since and sometimes will swap the scallops for shrimp or imitation crab (especially because scallops are pretty pricey). This is super tasty and really low cal.

Garlic Pasta with Lemony Scallops and Tomatoes (Note: the lemon could be omitted)

Ingredients:
    8 oz linguine (I've substituted spaghetti squash before)
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 lb scallops
    1 pint grape tomatoes (I use regular tomatoes---I'm pretty picky and don't like grape tomatoes)
    2 garlic cloves
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (I cut mine to 1/8)
    1/4 cup sliced fresh basil (I use a few teaspoons of dried)
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1. Cook linguine according to package directions.
    2. Heat 1 tspn of oil in skillet over med-high heat. Add scallops and cook until browned and just opaque in center. 3-4 minutes. Transfer the scallops to a plate. (I drained the juice in the pan)
    3. Heat remaining tspn of oil in the same skillet over med-high heat. Add tomatoes, garlic, salt, and crushed red pepper. Cook about 5 minutes. Add linguine and scallops; heat through. Remove from heat and stir in basil and lemon juice.

Serving: 1 Cup (Makes 6 servings) 244 Cal, 3 g fat, 0 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 37 mg Chol, 376 mg Sod, 32 g Carbs, 2 g Fib, 20 g Prot, 29 mg Calc.
  • Eatone1
    Eatone1 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    QOTD - Thursday, September 29: What is one of your favorite recipes? (please share with your fellow stars)

I like this question. I have one but it's kinda of bad if you have no control.

So as many of you know I had kinda melt down yesterday. Not sure where all the emotions came from but they came on after I ate the below. So please beware.

Chocolate Banana Quesadilla - ok so I just came up with that name. :tongue:
    1 whole wheat tortilla
    1 small banana
    1-2 tbsp of Nutella
    sprinkle a cinnamon

Heat up a griddle spray with cooking spray. Spread the Nutella on the tortilla, add the cut up bananas fold in half and put on the griddle. Warm it threw on both side. Sprinkle some cinnamon on it and you have a AWESOME sweet snack.

Caution - it's very hard to limit the intake on this one, plus you have to watch what kind of tortilla you get. Go for something low carb, low sodium to save yourself some grief when indulging in this sinful snack.

Oh my word! That sounds delicious!!
  • sboo
    sboo Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    QOTD - Thursday, September 29: What is one of your favorite recipes? (please share with your fellow stars

I dont, have a favorite recipe yet. I dont cook much. I keep it simple when it comes to me, stir frys and grilling.
  • KatrinaG2012
    Options
    QOTD - Thursday, September 29: What is one of your favorite recipes?

I really LOVE this protein shake

8 oz unsweetened almond milk
    1 scoop Jay Robb Chocolate whey protein powder
    1 cup of frozen cherries, blueberries or strawberries
    4 tbs PB2 (this is a powdered peanut butter without the oil)

Blend well then had a cup or more of ice and blend again really well. Qty of ice will determine thickness.

I sometimes add a bit of one of the plain or flavored stevia products depending on the sweetness of the fruit.
  • KatrinaG2012
    Options
    I think I will make this on Saturday! Duhhhh. I meant the scallop and linquini....
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    QOTD - Thursday, September 29: What is one of your favorite recipes?

This time of year I love soups and stews! If you use the right ingredients, you can eat a substantial amount of food for a low to moderate caloric impact.

Southwestern Soup

Ingredients:

· 3 cups water
    · 4 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
    · 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    · 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
    · 2 cups frozen corn
    · 2 cups salsa
    · 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
    · 1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano
    · 1 to 2 teaspoons dried basil
    · 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

In a Dutch oven, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle individual servings with cheese.

Yield: 12 servings (1-1/3 cups each).

i like to add ground beef or ground turkey, below are the calorie counts for each version:

original recipe: 212 calories
    ground beef: 309 calories
    ground turkey: 292 calories
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options

Sorry I am late on this one. I wasn't home yesterday to answer, and now I am going to give you this recipe from memory, so here goes. This is my favorite recipe ever, super nutritious and low in calories. I make a batch on Sunday and eat it for the rest of the week.

Grilled Corn Succotash
    - 1 bag of frozen corn
    - 1 bag of frozen edamame (out of the shells)
    - 1 shallot
    - 1-3 cloves of garlic
    - 1 red pepper
    - 1 lemon
    - 1-2 limes
    - olive oil
    - salt & peper
    - cilantro

place the edamame in a pot of water and bring to a boil. take out of pot, and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process
    saute the shallot and garlic with a bit of ollive oil in a large pan. Once the onion is translucent, add the bag of frozen corn and cook until some pieces are browned.
    Cut the red pepper in half, and place in the broiler. Broil until the pepper starts to get browned on both sides and is soft. Once the pepper is cooked, cut it into bite size pieces.
    Place the cooked edamame, corn, and red pepper into a large bowl.
    In another bowl mix approx 2-3 tbsp of olive oil with the juice from 1-2 limes, black pepper, and salt. Whisk together, and pour over the vegetable mix. Add additional olive oil as needed to make it moist (I also add extra lime, I think that is what makes it).
    Cut up some cilantro (I use about 1/3 of a bunch, I really like it.) and add to the mixture. Mix and serve. It can be eaten hot or cold. I like it better warm, but my husband likes it cold. So, it is totally up to you.

So yummy and refreshing. :) Enjoy!