Too much protein Keto?

Options
bgsv9
bgsv9 Posts: 4 Member
Is 80 gr of protein a day too much? I’m doing the Keto diet (along with 16:8 intermittent fasting) and I’m struggling to find foods that I like that aren’t high in protein. I’m a big fan of salmon and chicken but I read online that it’s not good and you can gain even more weight. I’ve been keeping my carbs under 28 grams and my fat a bit higher than 50 gr. I’ve also been keeping my calories under 1200.

Mind you my BMI is 38

Answers

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    You need protein. And yes, @rileysowner is correct. Even us non-keto folks are fine with more protein. If we’re exercising, we actually need more.

Mayo Clinic has a good article about this.
    https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.org/hometown-health/speaking-of-health/are-you-getting-too-much-protein#:~:text=Anywhere from 10% to 35,, or 50–175 grams.
    But the key point is here:
    eekejzvemyr2.jpeg

I’d like to highlight another important aspect of your diet.
    You’re setting yourself up to become deficient in protein, and calories. Unless you are very short, and/or significantly disabled to the point that even walking across your living room is difficult or impossible, you really really need to be eating a lot more calories.

A lot more.

1200 is the rock bottom amount of calories for a healthy adult human.
    Routinely eating under 1200 calories is likely to make you feel absolutely miserable.
    And potentially harm your health long term.
    This process of losing weight and getting healthier should not feel like a punishment.

Here’s a helpful calculator to assist you in finding a caloric intake that will work for you.

https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/
  • Moijo02022
    Moijo02022 Posts: 59 Member
    edited June 5
    Options
    Keto I do 75% fat 20% protein 5% carbs as recommend on diet doctor web site, (free 2 week meal plan's)
    I use in with mfp to track those macros, then I know how many grams of everything I eat and drink adds up to that balance.
    As for calories I know mfp calculates to lose 2lb a week you should eat 1200 calories but when eating keto style you will lose better if you eat lots more calories so you are better to set your mfp to lose 1/2lb a week which gives you plenty more calories to use.

I have 150g protein per meal 3x a day. I lose a good few pounds a week when I do keto.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,934 Member
    edited June 6
    Options
    Moijo02022 wrote: »
    Keto I do 75% fat 20% protein 5% carbs as recommend on diet doctor web site, (free 2 week meal plan's)
    I use in with mfp to track those macros, then I know how many grams of everything I eat and drink adds up to that balance.
    As for calories I know mfp calculates to lose 2lb a week you should eat 1200 calories but when eating keto style you will lose better if you eat lots more calories so you are better to set your mfp to lose 1/2lb a week which gives you plenty more calories to use.

I have 150g protein per meal 3x a day. I lose a good few pounds a week when I do keto.

I swear it is not beat up on @Moijo02022 time.

But numbers. Don't. Work. As written.

150g protein per meal. 3 meals a day. is 450g protein or 1800 Cal from protein. If protein is 1/5 of total calories, then total calories are 9,000 per day.

At 5% of 9,000 Cal, 450 Cal will come from 112.5g carbs.

112.5g carbs and 450g protein... I don't think you would be in ketosis by that point.

Let's now pretend that 150g of protein is SPLIT over three meals.
    That's 600 Cal of protein. 150 Cal of carbs. 2250 cal of fats. For a 3,000 Cal diet. You better be quite active trying to lose while taking in 3000 Cal a day.

If the protein is 150 Cal, that's 37.5g of protein which could turn out to be a problem long term. Not as big a problem as the 750 Cal a day diet.

Even if protein is 15g a meal. That only brings us up to 45g of protein per day. Probably within RDI but not GREAT for someone losing weight. And a total of 900 Cal per day of intake.

So. Our pick are 750 or 900 Cal a day, or 3000 or 9000 Cal a day

I vote that the numbers make no sense!
  • Moijo02022
    Moijo02022 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

I swear it is not beat up on @Moijo02022 time.

But numbers. Don't. Work. As written.

150g protein per meal. 3 meals a day. is 450g protein or 1800 Cal from protein. If protein is 1/5 of total calories, then total calories are 9,000 per day.

At 5% of 9,000 Cal, 450 Cal will come from 112.5g carbs.

112.5g carbs and 450g protein... I don't think you would be in ketosis by that point.

Let's now pretend that 150g of protein is SPLIT over three meals.
    That's 600 Cal of protein. 150 Cal of carbs. 2250 cal of fats. For a 3,000 Cal diet. You better be quite active trying to lose while taking in 3000 Cal a day.

If the protein is 150 Cal, that's 37.5g of protein which could turn out to be a problem long term. Not as big a problem as the 750 Cal a day diet.

Even if protein is 15g a meal. That only brings us up to 45g of protein per day. Probably within RDI but not GREAT for someone losing weight. And a total of 900 Cal per day of intake.

So. Our pick are 750 or 900 Cal a day, or 3000 or 9000 Cal a day

I vote that the numbers make no sense!

Hey I can understand that, you 2 have more experience with calorie deficit than myself ,
    I’m no expert just giving my experience of doing keto for 2 weeks at a time via diet doctor meal plans. I’d have around 3500 cals a day when I logged my food intake on here.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,934 Member
    edited June 6
    Options
    You must be very very active then! 🤷‍♂️

So you're splitting 150g of protein into three meals basically
  • Blueto88
    Blueto88 Posts: 7 Member
    edited June 9
    Options
    There's so much complicated talk about weight loss in these forums when really it's a very simple formula. Get your carb intake down (research what's an appropriate amount), exercise more, preferably every day, even if it's just walking and stick to your chosen plan. You don't need to worry about calories, fat, protein yada, yada, yada.

We consume way more than we need, we do it out of habit. Don't be too precious about dieting, but do due diligence. Don't give yourself more to rationalise about. It's not going to be easy but it will be rewarding. And if you can do it, you will have learnt the most valuable lesson there is. If you can overcome your mind, you can achieve anything else in your life.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    Blueto88 wrote: »
    There's so much complicated talk about weight loss in these forums when really it's a very simple formula. Get your carb intake down (research what's an appropriate amount), exercise more, preferably every day, even if it's just walking and stick to your chosen plan. You don't need to worry about calories, fat, protein yada, yada, yada.

We consume way more than we need, we do it out of habit. Don't be too precious about dieting, but do due diligence. Don't give yourself more to rationalise about. It's not going to be easy but it will be rewarding. And if you can do it, you will have learnt the most valuable lesson there is. If you can overcome your mind, you can achieve anything else in your life.

Maybe you don’t need to worry about protein, calories, or fat.

:p
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    edited June 9
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

Without an appropriate calorie intake, you can watch your carbs all you like. Perhaps for you it effectively lead you to a calorie deficit, but it's not guaranteed.
    If there is one thing that is important for weight loss it's calories.

I would have thought that weight loss would have been the more important factor for weight loss. :)
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

Last time I checked, you do need a certain amount of fat, and if you are losing weight and/or exercising, you certainly need to make sure you get enough protein. Oh, and to lose weight, ultimately you do need to watch your calorie intake.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    ….. as recommend on diet doctor web site, (free 2 week meal plan's) …..

This is the part that catches my eye. Just because someone has an IG, TikTok, or website, doesn’t mean they’re reliable- especially if their ultimate goal is to sell you a plan.

I hope you’ve put some research into make sure this online diet doctor is legit and trained, and not just gone by kudos and success stories he’s posted on his own website.

Horror stories of “diet gurus” stealing before and after photos from Success Stories threads here and elsewhere, and using them without permission to claim their “own” successes.

• neanderthin
    Options

This is the part that catches my eye. Just because someone has an IG, TikTok, or website, doesn’t mean they’re reliable- especially if their ultimate goal is to sell you a plan.

I hope you’ve put some research into make sure this online diet doctor is legit and trained, and not just gone by kudos and success stories he’s posted on his own website.

Horror stories of “diet gurus” stealing before and after photos from Success Stories threads here and elsewhere, and using them without permission to claim their “own” successes.

Yeah, diet doctor is not that. It's pretty much a click away from doing some investigation to actually see what they're all about and I suspect you didn't do that.

They have a few hundred video's interviewing individual scientists, PhD's in their field and discussing nutrition from every angle, which began in 2019 and the website has been around since 2011 and it's the largest low carb website in the world with around 350,000 visitors a day. They don't advertise any products, they don't sell any products or allow any advertising on their site and they don't take any industry money.

Here's Dr. Bret Scher in a quick video basically describing their ethos.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YPuUzvhBIAM

• MargaretYakoda
    edited June 10
    Options

Yeah, diet doctor is not that. It's pretty much a click away from doing some investigation to actually see what they're all about and I suspect you didn't do that.

They have a few hundred video's interviewing individual scientists, PhD's in their field and discussing nutrition from every angle, which began in 2019 and the website has been around since 2011 and it's the largest low carb website in the world with around 350,000 visitors a day. They don't advertise any products, they don't sell any products or allow any advertising on their site and they don't take any industry money.

Just because someone doesn’t steal before and after photos doesn’t mean they aren’t selling something….

This doctor promotes his books, podcast, and as you have linked to, his YouTube channel. He also has a program where people can pay him nearly $1000 to learn how to eat properly.
    a4a011gedv6o.jpeg

Is he on the level?
    Maybe?

But @springlerling62 has a good point.
    Diet Doctor absolutely is in the business of selling his own books, podcasts, and diet plan so caveat emptor.
    And those YouTube videos?
    He has 587k subscribers.
    If he has ads turned on, and each subscriber watched his videos just once he would earn almost $3k minimum in ad revenue alone.
    I suspect his podcasts earn a similar amount per 100k listeners.
    And all of that is media hype that - even without ads turned on - would drive people to buy his diet books and program.
  • neanderthin
    edited June 10
    Options

Just because someone doesn’t steal before and after photos doesn’t mean they aren’t selling something….

This doctor promotes his books, podcast, and as you have linked to, his YouTube channel. He also has a program where people can pay him nearly $1000 to learn how to eat properly.
    a4a011gedv6o.jpeg

Is he on the level?
    Maybe?

Diet Doctor absolutely is in the business of selling his own books, podcasts, and diet plan so caveat emptor.

Yeah, diet doctor is not Bret Schers website, he's an employee of diet doctor and a member of their board along with another 20 or so doctors and addition staff. And surprisingly enough he manages other sources of income other than sitting on the diet doctor board and the one your talking about is his own website where he personally gets involved with peoples health. What he charges is about average. Is it worth it, no idea, but I have listen to him enough over the years to think you could probably do a lot worse and spend more money.

The founder and CEO of dietdoctor.com is a Dr. from Sweden, Andreas Eenfeldt with a very interesting story and one that had repercussions across Sweden and there's even a butter shortage involved.

Here's the back story of dietdoctor if you or anyone is interested.

https://dietdoctor.com/about/the-story-of-diet-doctor
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options

a4a011gedv6o.jpeg

Is he on the level?
    Maybe?

Yeah, diet doctor is not Bret Schers website, he's an employee of diet doctor and a member of their board along with another 20 or so doctors and addition staff. And surprisingly enough he manages other sources of income other than sitting on the diet doctor board and the one your talking about is his own website where he personally gets involved with peoples health. What he charges is about average. Is it worth it, no idea, but I have listen to him enough over the years to think you could probably do a lot worse and spend more money.

The founder and CEO of dietdoctor.com is a Dr. from Sweden, Andreas Eenfeldt with a very interesting story and one that had repercussions across Sweden and there's even a butter shortage involved.

Here's the back story of dietdoctor if you or anyone is interested.

https://dietdoctor.com/about/the-story-of-diet-doctor

None of that goes against my point.

Caveat emptor.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I love this place. :D
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    I love this place. :D

oa4wzkn71z9v.jpeg