WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2024

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Michele - at your home what are the winter temperatures like? Snow?? Freeze?

We are all from such different areas, it is hard for us to tell you. You can get good help at a local independently owned nursery - not a big box store, or some place with a section of plants, but a true nursery, you pay more but you will get help from someone who really knows what they are talking about.

Be careful when depending on the tags on plants, it should be correct on what plant it is but they are printed in one place in the US (I can't remember if it is Minnesota or Michigan) and is based on their climate, so something that says partial shade - really needs almost full shade at my house, but might need no shade at your house.... That is why a local master gardener or nursery person is worth the time and money. It is cheaper than replacing plants !

smiles Kim
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Kim! I knew someone else would know better! :smiley:
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Just checking in.
    Dh was in a mood plus says not feeling good- Said he has had diarrhea for the past seven days. Not sure if he has had it that long or not, or exagerating a bit. Not sure if it is stress or what. From his mom and work, good possibility.
    He isn't talking to me- ignores when I try and talk to him.
    Planned on making fresh ramen topped with grilled salmon, kamaboko(two kinds), soft boiled egg then green onions for lunch. He didnt feel like eating so told him to let me know when he wanted it.
    I made it for son and his girlfriend at dinner time. Dh was at his mom's.
    I made a fresh batch of ramen when he got home and brought it to him. An hour later he sat it on the cutting board in the kitchen, didn't say anything. I just found it in there- hadn't even tried a bite of it.
    Won't be very good tomorrow- soaks up too much broth- but wasn't going to dump the whole big bowl of it.
    mnlsu7xq51nt.png
    Second bowl also got the egg and grilled salmon- I took the picture while the egg was cooking. Those were for son and his girlfriend

Talked to my mom. There is a big fire just north of town. It looks to be close to where my sister lives. I am trying to check in with her but she isn't responding on FB(even though it shows she is online/active on FB) Three hours and still she hasn't responded- Not new for her- unless she wants something- then she is bugging me.
    Praying they get it under control soon.
    My aunt and a good friend live a little ways away but aren't in the evacuation ordered area right now(sister is close to the recommended evacuation area)

Gave all four kittens and the old momma cat flea baths this afternoon. Was able to do three all by myself- they all did great- son and his girlfriend did one by themselves and both got scratched(I think the kitten didn't like the sound of the water or it wasn't warm enough-not sure. They smell so good and had so many fleas, poor little things. When they are wet you could really see them. I will see how they are next weekend and give them another if needed.

Will catch up reading tomorrow.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to try and catch up a little. No drama here, thank goodness. Just disrupted routines due pt appointments, girls’ road trip to Crater Lake, annual tests and exam.
    Pip conVERYgrats on first place woman in the MS ride.
    Very belated welcome @christelsnyder Chrisivy in NE PA. We’re glad you found us too!
    Through pg 14, more later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,373 Member
    edited June 17
    Options
    Off out to Creative Writing shortly. Then Monday Painters after lunch. I’m so ready for Summer Break!

Carol: So sorry about your Gdaughter. I hope it heals quickly.

Michele: 4 kittens wouldn’t be my choice, 😝 but I’m sure you and Vince will
    Love them.

Machka: That room looks so spacious and cool. I used to do all my own decorating, so know how hard that job can be, but so rewarding.

🤗🤗🤗 and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I received next Monday's class outline for the diabetes prevention class. It's all about portion control and tracking. Guessing how many calories are in a portion of food v. what the real count is - illustrated by something like MFP where we enter that info. I know this is new to many people in my class. My experience so far has been if my goal is to lower carbs and concentrate on lean protein, fiber and healthy fats, the calories take care of themselves.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

https://www.thekitchn.com/a-visual-guide-to-100-calories-of-nuts-snack-tips-from-the-kitchn-201778

l3mvor5en30b.png

https://imgur.com/a/100-calories-OrMaG

q0ui7h3bt2bf.png

And a lot more under both links.

Machka in Oz

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,112 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies!

Not much is going on here. My cough is lingering so I finally found the cough drops. But I slept better last night.

Lisa, my mom was into the joy of giving things away to a good home. I remember in college I brought a boy home for dinner mostly because he was giving me a ride, and he was nervous about what my parents would think. My mom gave him three men's suits, gently used but perfect for him. He kept trying to figure out the hidden meaning!

Today's goal is to drive my Dad's car a bit. It feels huge and overpowered to me. It sits a bit lower than mine, so visibility is worse, too. But I can do this.

And I have a mystery odor in the fridge to track down.

And I'm reading "The Good Daughter" by Karin Slaughter. It's so violent I have to take breaks. And such a departure from the usual romance plot that I wonder where it is headed. I keep looking for the sexy male lead but no one fits the stereotype. Hmm. It's good for me to read something different.

Have a great day! May you be happy, healthy, safe and free!

Annie in Delaware
  • Machka9
    Options
    This year I am turning 62 which is kind of a "meh" age for me. There's a part of me that does not really wish to celebrate, or do anything Facebook card obligatory silly thing. I have my birthday off on there, I don't mind if people say it, just not a fan of family members that don't say boo all year then on my birthday its all love and smiles. Seems so artificial.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

Happy Birthday!

• Machka9
    Options
    (((Allie, Tracy))) Prayerrs

I just finished bowl of fresh picked strawberries. I have a patch at son's house. We have had so much rain they are doing great! I eat them with fresh pineapple. I do not miss the cake. Six months now mostly gluten free. Now down 20 pounds. 163 this morning!

To me one of life's simple pleasures is picking a fresh strawberry and eating right then!

The last few years we've had a row of strawberry plants in raised beds around the railing of our front step. They're right there when I come in and go out. :)

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im going to hop in the shower in a bit,my head still filled up..but hoping the shower relieves it a bit ,down another lb can't wait until I get in the 100s yipee ,not to far away..
    Tracy has another appointment tomorrow as do I ,told her to keep me in the loop.watching Miles Wednesday and Saturday night ,have a baby shower on Sunday.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,094 Member
    edited June 17
    Options
    (((Sue)))

I am not counting calories so much.

1. The quality of the food Non GMO, Organic if possible. grassfeed milk, cheese, meat is the most important to me
    2. Avoiding gluten products and grains like corn, rice, barley as much as possible
    3. Eating sitting down and calm a environment if possible
    4. Fresh Herbs from my garden
    5. 12-16 hours between dinner and breakfast
    6. Watching for added sugar and fruit juice in the few processed foods I do eat
    7. Learning more about where the food comes from wild fish versus farm raised
    8. Wheat, corn, sugar, salt are in many commercially prepared foods in this country. Animals like cows are fed a grain based diet to fatten them up rather than than grassfed which is the food that is best for their health.
    9. Most meals have at least 5 different fruits or veggies in them. Yes herbs count as part of this.
    10. Healthy food =healthy me

I have lost quite a bit of my belly fat. I thought it was mostly due to weight loss. I recently learned that stress is just as big a contributor to belly fat. I live in the world so I still have stress, but nothing like the stress I had in recent years.

I made another batch of yogurt using grassfed organic whole milk. I let it ferment for 14 hours rather than 12. It turned out much thicker and creamier. I am very pleased.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    (((Sue)))

I am not counting calories so much.

1. The quality of the food Non GMO, Organic if possible. grassfeed milk, cheese, meat is the most important to me
    2. Avoiding gluten products and grains like corn, rice, barley as much as possible
    3. Eating sitting down and calm a environment if possible
    4. Fresh Herbs from my garden
    5. 12-16 hours between dinner and breakfast
    6. Watching for added sugar and fruit juice in the few processed foods I do eat
    7. Learning more about where the food comes from wild fish versus farm raised
    8. Wheat, corn, sugar, salt are in many commercially prepared foods in this country. Animals like cows are fed a grain based diet to fatten them up rather than than grassfed which is the food that is best for their health.
    9. Most meals have at least 5 different fruits or veggies in them. Yes herbs count as part of this.
    10. Healthy food =healthy me

I have lost quite a bit of my belly fat. I thought it was mostly due to weight loss. I recently learned that stress is just as big a contributor to belly fat. I live in the world so I still have stress, but nothing like the stress I had in recent years.

I made another batch of yogurt using grassfed organic whole milk. I let it ferment for 14 hours rather than 12. It turned out much thicker and creamier. I am very pleased.

Margaret -

You are doing so well and I appreciate you sharing these tips. I tend to eat dinner early, perhaps too early and even with eating a lot of protein and not many carbs, I still seem to get hungry before bed.

Can I ask what your meal plan is - do you eat three meals per day? And do you have an evening snack - if so, what do you choose?

I'm hoping the diabetes prevention class addresses the snack/hunger before bed issue. I intend to bring it up. :p

Lanette
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    ‘nother quick check in before PT and breakfast.
    Heather, la Parisienne? Va va VOOM! “Imaginative empathy” alas not here. I’m astounded at how clueless I can be about other peoples’ feelings.
    Through pg 18, time to get up off my b u + t, play balance games, do shoulder/knee PT and eat breakfast before line dance class. More, later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections.
  • Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Lanette: Great about your lipids and Triglycerides being better. How wonderful the "Blind" man is great with dogs!

Margaret Turk: My son took us to a strawberry farm a few years ago. We had fun picking the strawberries. It went pretty fast!

Heather: So great tht you are doing well and getting outside!

KJ(Kelly). Such good news that the event went well!

Lisa: Wonderful that your visit with your son and family went well! And that you were able to send him off with food!

RvRita: I love your meals! Fish stuffed with shrimp with panfried potatoes and summer squash sounds delicious!

Rebecca: Great you were able to play the piano!

Grandmallie: I am sorry about the dizziness. Did you call your doctor?

Tracey: The scrapbooking demo day sounds like fun!

Machka: Your blue room and flooring look very nice!

Kylia: I hope Cali's health improves!

Ginny:Rather exciting to be retiring and also moving! Will the move be a lot of work?

Michele: I hope Vince is feeling better!

Carol: I am thinking about your grandaughter and your son's family. Praying that her leg heals quickly and well!

My son came for 4 days! I cooked 3 meals. Creamy Chicken Fajita Pasta, Chicken Florentine with spinach and pasta with ground beef and tomato sauce. We went to a bar/restaurant that was having a car show and enjoyed walking among the cars. We were suppose to hear a band on Saturday night...early around 6pm but this was canceled. We walked around downtown a little bit! There is a new book store I wanted to take a glance at.

I am suppose to be attending a 9:30 am exercise class but don't sleep well and am missing it. I am sitting on my back deck in the mornings and enjoying the back yard. Maybe I am meant to be doing this at this time!

I purchased some bigger pots to replant my plants. Then next year, I will decide about putting them into the ground or purchasing a raised garden bed. I need to get to replanting the plants!

My son and I watched Killer of the Flower Moon. That is quite a true story. Like something one would read in a mystery book.

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia