Why are they taking the newsfeed away?

Options

Answers

• jamie610811
    jamie610811 Posts: 1,735 Member
    Options
    How to self implode MFP 👏👏👏 whoever made this decision should easily get a job with Bud Light 👍👍
  • tjbonsignore23
    tjbonsignore23 Posts: 12 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    That really sucks!
  • melissaaridgeway
    melissaaridgeway Posts: 278 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    Same. I just got back from taking a 1 month hiatus and my entire support system is gone.

I saw many people posting about Lose It! and I checked it out but I'm not finding any of its social features remotely close to a "newsfeed". Maybe it's because I've only fiddled with it for an hour and I need to look deeper but I haven't found a good solution to the newsfeed feature yet.
  • lanamcmuffin
    lanamcmuffin Posts: 7 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    yes, Newsfeed is gone. I always looked forward to seeing my friends' progress. it really sucks! why did they mess with it?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    Some of my friends have set up private groups and invited friends from their friends list to join. It’s hit or miss. Some of the groups are quite active, most have already gone dead. Depends on your friends and your willingness to participate.

Takes a little more time to navigate at first, but you can save seats (how MANY times have I lost posts before I could post them to the newsfeed?!) and it’s super easy to add photos or screen shots of various progress indicators.

• mecmh
    mecmh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Seems like they will lose most of their subscribers, including me, if this isn't just a temporary glitch
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    It’s not a glitch….
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    It was purposely removed. They made the announcement last month.
  • angela55530
    angela55530 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    So disappointed with MFP for removing the newsfeed. I see no reason to continue using the app anymore. Switching to Lose it.
  • DarleneGroover1
    DarleneGroover1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bring back the newsfeed, I hate the new change.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    I saw many people posting about Lose It! and I checked it out but I'm not finding any of its social features remotely close to a "newsfeed". Maybe it's because I've only fiddled with it for an hour and I need to look deeper but I haven't found a good solution to the newsfeed feature yet.
    a lot of folks did go there. It has its shortcomings, such as no pics or gifs because people were abusing them, and there is a bit of lag, but there is a newsfeed. On the iphone app anyway, tap to Discover on the bottom right then hit the friends tab at the top right. To create your own wall/feed post, hit post. There is also a groups tab that is like the forums. You can find friends in there, or invite them via email. Some people like the website better but I haven’t played with it much. Some folks are also trying MyNetDiary but it doesn’t have any newsfeed (yet?), only walls that you’d have to go to individually.

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,346 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    Some of the groups are quite active, most have already gone dead.
    Are you personally quite active in one or more groups? If not, how are you finding that some groups are quite active?

For instance the largest group "Fitbit Users" hasn't had any active in a week. The second largest "Low Carber..." has had a small handful this month. And those are the two largest. And there are about 10,000 groups right now. The vast majority have been abandoned for years. If not the largest groups how does one identity the "active" groups?
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    Laurayinz wrote: »
    a lot of folks did go there. It has its shortcomings, such as no pics or gifs because people were abusing them, and there is a bit of lag, but there is a newsfeed. On the iphone app anyway, tap to Discover on the bottom right then hit the friends tab at the top right. To create your own wall/feed post, hit post. There is also a groups tab that is like the forums. You can find friends in there, or invite them via email. Some people like the website better but I haven’t played with it much. Some folks are also trying MyNetDiary but it doesn’t have any newsfeed (yet?), only walls that you’d have to go to individually.

I’m one of the My Net Diary converts.

I tried Lose It too, but cancelled yesterday.

I’m not sure yet how all the social features will work out, but so far I find that MND is superior to MFP for logging and other features.

Two examples:
    I logged. Gluten free stroopwaffle yesterday.
    But the package nutrition data didn’t match what the app said.
    So, as directed, I sent a couple pictures of the package, including the nutritional information.
    In less than 24 hours someone behind the scenes had updated the app data, and adjusted the calories in that day’s calorie budget.

That’s a massive improvement over MFP.

And the premium version has a registered dietitian you can message and receive an answer in less than 24 hours.
    I’ve already seen the dietitian advise someone who was restricting too much that they needed to stop restricting and talk to their doctor about eating disorders.

The dietitian also answered my question about how to set my calorie goal in the app so it wouldn’t go over my limit automatically.
    (important due to my mobility issues)

And the ability to log blood glucose in the app is nice.
    As is the fact that the app allows you to track a huge amount of nutrients.

I’ll be hanging out on the forums here for a while, but ultimately I think that MFP is no longer the gold star app that it used to be.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    Some of the groups are quite active, most have already gone dead.
    Are you personally quite active in one or more groups? If not, how are you finding that some groups are quite active?

For instance the largest group "Fitbit Users" hasn't had any active in a week. The second largest "Low Carber..." has had a small handful this month. And those are the two largest. And there are about 10,000 groups right now. The vast majority have been abandoned for years. If not the largest groups how does one identity the "active" groups?

Hi Chris. I was already in three or four groups, all started by MFP personnel. Three haven’t had posts in over a year or two, and one is down to a post every week or two- mostly from me, reporting scammers and spammers.

After newsfeed died I had several friends start groups, which I joined. One, from a favorite user, had a small flurry of posts when first formed but nothing since the 5th. Ditto for another. A third has so many rules I’m overwhelmed and seldom post or check there. A fourth has a zillion members, with only a handful posting their workouts and calories. TBH I had that blocked from sharing myself because I just don’t care. I’d rather support in other ways, with messages of support rather than thumbs up for some exercise completed.

Only one group, private and very small, has any activity. And I’m grateful for it because several friends have joined so I can at least keep in touch with a few.

I’ve tried looking through groups for active groups but most everything I find is dead. I’m posting here in the boards and in two of my groups, but otherwise zero desire to join IG, FB etc.

I have too much time invested in learning MFP, setting up “meal” recipes, and creating a path to share meals with family member who is also on MFP. Not worth changing but NOT happy losing a strong friends network.

• YourWorstNightMary
    YourWorstNightMary Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    I don't see it anymore. I quite enjoyed it. Anyone have any insight?
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    The newsfeed function has been entirely discontinued by MFP. Most people who primarily used that area are moving to Lose It and My Net Diary to reconnect. There is a function called the Activity Feed that is supposed to be a substitute: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10915268/welcome-to-your-activity-feed#latest
  • straw6erries
    straw6erries Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    d7l2vkybux7j.png
    When I would go on my daily summary I use to see when my friend came on and how many calories she burned, now I don't see it and I am wondering why? And how do I get it back?