WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2024

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,416 Member
    How to Fix a Sedentary Lifestyle

Modern advances make our lives easier, but they've led many of us to adopt a more sedentary lifestyle. Moving less and sitting more is linked to several health conditions and is believed to be a significant cause of the obesity epidemic.

Sitting for longer than four hours per day significantly increases your risk for cardiovascular disease (perhaps even more than smoking), diabetes, and several other obesity-related conditions.

The article provides 12 tips ...

https://www.verywellhealth.com/how-to-beat-a-sedentary-lifestyle-2509611

Machka in Oz
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,740 Member
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,201 Member
    No I can't take a nap. It's a four bedroom house but he has got to come make his noise three feet away from me. Grrr.

Today's big challenge is to overcome my reluctance and invite his friends to his birthday party that I don't want to host. I am off to a bad start.

Annie in Delaware
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,113 Member
    :)Annie, Does your grocery store offer a pick up option? We have been using that for several years. It allows us to browse, read labels, and add items to the grocery cart through the week before placing a final order and choosing a time to drive to the store and park in the curbside pick up spot and have someone bring our groceries to the car. At the height of the pandemic when my top priority was staying away from people, I decided that I could be happy with the groceries and sundries I bought from that one store, plan a week at a time, and order other obscure items from Amazon.

:)Allie, I, too, am concerned about you and hope you will continue to make caring for your health your number one priority.

:) Jake's multiple health problems cause him to be extremely fatigued. He says that the blessing is that it requires that he do a daily inventory of what's important so he can use his limited energy to do the things that are most important and ignore the rest.

:)Machka, Thank you for sharing the daily saga of your move. You are being so careful with everything and so aware of your husband's limitations. You'll will be happy you've done it this way.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,946 Member
    Machka- I say good for you..get a good sleep in.
    Flea- alot of factors for kidney transplant/ dialysis, first off..you have to have a matched donor.. my kids aren't interested
    Then you have to have a clean environment. Which right now..is very hard for me to do..or even keep up..as I am exhausted all the time.then once the transplant is done I will need to be having to going down to the hospital 45 min away twice a week for 6 weeks and have to stay away from most everyone and everything because of immune system.
    And I will be on so many pills I'll be rattling like a bean bag.
    I would at least like to get through the next few months comfortably so I can enjoy my cruise and my new granddaughter. And then we shall see what happens..
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,178 Member
    :heart:
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,645 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Annie, Does your grocery store offer a pick up option? We have been using that for several years. It allows us to browse, read labels, and add items to the grocery cart through the week before placing a final order and choosing a time to drive to the store and park in the curbside pick up spot and have someone bring our groceries to the car. At the height of the pandemic when my top priority was staying away from people, I decided that I could be happy with the groceries and sundries I bought from that one store, plan a week at a time, and order other obscure items from Amazon.

:)Allie, I, too, am concerned about you and hope you will continue to make caring for your health your number one priority.

:) Jake's multiple health problems cause him to be extremely fatigued. He says that the blessing is that it requires that he do a daily inventory of what's important so he can use his limited energy to do the things that are most important and ignore the rest.

:)Machka, Thank you for sharing the daily saga of your move. You are being so careful with everything and so aware of your husband's limitations. You'll will be happy you've done it this way.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

I can relate to how Jake feels on some days. Has he read the theory of the spoons? I'll look for it, just in case, and you can share it with him.

So thankful his new meds are showing positive changes.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • OregonMother
    Machka- I say good for you..get a good sleep in.
    Flea- alot of factors for kidney transplant/ dialysis, first off..you have to have a matched donor.. my kids aren't interested
    Then you have to have a clean environment. Which right now..is very hard for me to do..or even keep up..as I am exhausted all the time.then once the transplant is done I will need to be having to going down to the hospital 45 min away twice a week for 6 weeks and have to stay away from most everyone and everything because of immune system.
    And I will be on so many pills I'll be rattling like a bean bag.
    I would at least like to get through the next few months comfortably so I can enjoy my cruise and my new granddaughter. And then we shall see what happens..

I understand all that for transplant, but is all that true for dialysis as well? My friend mentioned that she knows someone who does at home dialysis. I'd not heard of that.

We want you around and healthy for a good while to come.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • OregonMother
    edited July 20
    Spoon theory, for those with chronic illnesses, and maybe others can relate, as well. It's a downloadable pdf so you can read it and not just about it.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,453 Member
    After work went and bought gas. $3.05/gallon. That’s a decent price.

Trying to buy Crocs at a decent price since I don’t need them immediately, I can afford to wait. Amazon has them at a decent price, only they don’t have them in my size. Guess I just have to keep checking back to see if they have them in stock.

Vince and I clipped all four kitties nails yesterday. Boy, as kittens they sure do grow fast! We need to put the extension on the water fountain. When we first got them, they were small enough that they didn’t need the extension. Now they do

Allie – add me to the list of people concerned about you

barbie – I like the way Jake is looking at his fatigue. He’s taking a negative and making a positive out of it

Flea – a friend of Jess’ was looking for a place down here and stayed with us. Her husband was on home dialysis. I’m pretty sure he had to do it every night but it gave him the freedom to be able to travel. He was in his 20’s or 30’s so not sure if Medicare covers it or not

Rita – that would be silly to return the TV. Make money on it, sounds good to me.

Think I’ll walk down to Food Lion. They have shrimp on sale (then again, it’s always on sale) but I should have some in my freezer.

Michele NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,113 Member
    Spoon theory, for those with chronic illnesses, and maybe others can relate, as well. It's a downloadable pdf so you can read it and not just about it.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR

:) Great article and worthwhile reading for everyone. I think Jake's point was that for most of his life, he wasted much too much time on things that weren't important and now he focuses on what is really important.

"The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials."---Lin Yutang