Stop eating breakfast. Here's why.

Options

Replies

• JOJOTRAINER
    Options
    I actually do just the opposite... my biggest meal of the day is breakfast and basically I taper my food intake from there. I never miss a meal (I eat 4 meals per day on average). I used to be a competitive bodybuilder and followed the same taper method and was easily able to lose 20 to 30lbs when needed. I think dinner should consist of a small amount of food and definitely don't eat 2 hours before sleep. And, I can't say this enough, drink lots and lots of water whether you are thirsty or not.

That's what works for me! :wink:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    People just don't seem to get it.

I can GUARANTEE you that I can eat one meal a day for the next 7 days and eat at a 500 calorie deficit, get my minimum protein and fat macros, and my servings of fruits and veggies in that one meal and I will be just as healthy and still lose weight as if I was eating a bunch of meals including BREAKFAST.

Also no one is saying that this approach is good for diabetics or a person with a medical condition. Not sure who pulled that into this. Just saying.

Actually this approach is GOOD for Diabetics and HYPOGLYCEMICS provided that the food they do eat is fat and protein based with carbs coming from vegetables and minimal fruit.

I was able to keep my blood sugar in check and on an even keel when I was Intermittent Fasting daily. My schedule changed and I started eating breakfast and now my blood sugar is all out of whack. I believe I will have to go back to IF'ing to get everything lined back out.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Sorry...never giving up breakfast! It is my favorite meal of the day!!

lol me too! I love breakfast and the fact that lots of other dieticiens and experts says its good for you is just icing on my breakfast!!!!

See, this I have no problem with what-so-ever. If you're reason for eating breakfast is because you like it, and you feel that it sets you up for success, then thats a GREAT thing!

The problem is that there are lots of people eating breakfast only because they've been told that they "should". THIS is what I have a huge problem with.

It's obvious from the posts here that some people find that a healthy breakfast helps them follow their diet, while others find that skipping breakfast helps them follow their diet. As far as I'm concerned, if it helps you follow your diet and eat healthy, than it's a good thing.

Also I need to add... Dietitians telling you to eat breakfast? Im almost half way through my 3rd year as a dietetics major and they DO NOT teach you anything that says breakfast is mandatory. We learn how the body works and how metabolism works in detail.

The reason you see so many dietitians and such telling you to eat breakfast is becuase they look out for public health. Its because the majority of breakfast skippers eat higher than their TDEE, has nothing to do with the magic breakfast time. Its just correlation not the cause. The cause is EATING ABOVE YOUR CALORIES. Breakfast does not boost the metabolism.

But, But, But...............Kelloggs and General Mills says it does. :tongue:
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I actually do just the opposite... my biggest meal of the day is breakfast and basically I taper my food intake from there. I never miss a meal (I eat 4 meals per day on average). I used to be a competitive bodybuilder and followed the same taper method and was easily able to lose 20 to 30lbs when needed. I think dinner should consist of a small amount of food and definitely don't eat 2 hours before sleep. And, I can't say this enough, drink lots and lots of water whether you are thirsty or not.

That's what works for me! :wink:

I've heard of people having success with this method as well. I'm glad it worked so well for you. One thing I've always believed is, if you want to know how to cut fat, ask a bodybuilder.
  • strawberryromper
    strawberryromper Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    But, as the other poster stated: Don't tell other people what they're doing for THEM is wrong.

I think this is the issue most of the dissenters in this thread have really had. It wasn't posted as an option. It was a statement, "Stop eating breakfast", and that just doesn't work for everyone.

A lot of the disagreement has also not been posted as suggestions or options though, either- they are stating 3-6 meals a day and the necessity of breakfast as fact. People can do whatever works for them, but this isn't a matter of only one side (IF) not playing nice and everyone else going "But breakfast works for ME." They're also saying, "But breakfast is necessary for YOU."

Probably the best way to sum the actual arguments up is: "Breakfast is not necessary for me and others. I perform better without breakfast. Perhaps you would too." vs. "Breakfast is something that I like or need, so this is interesting to think about, but not something I will do."
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    *wonders if I should step back in this thread or not*

People still don't get it.
  • cad429
    Options
    Thank you OP for the information! I think this may be exactly what I needed! I have never in my life had to "diet" or even work at losing weight until now so this concept is new to me and I'm just trying to figure out what works for me. A little back story on me, I've never in my life been a breakfast eater: I'm just simply not hungry in the mornings. In 8 years of "adulthood" my weight has maintained pretty much, fluctuating maybe 5-8 lbs, eating whatever I wanted (pure crap diet, I was definitely "skinny fat") and occasional exercise but an overall active lifestyle. I think the .5-1 lb weight gain over 8 years can easily be attributed to aging and slowing metabolism. So then I got pregnant! I started eating breakfast because I wanted to be as "healthy" as possible for my baby. I ate great during pregnancy, gave up sodas and caffiene, gained a healthy 30 lbs and worked hard to do everything "right." 6 weeks after having my baby I was 4 lbs over my prepregnancy weight. A year later I had gained 15 lbs!!! Maybe having a baby totally wrecked my metabolism?! But nothing else changed post baby except that I had a baby and now was eating breakfast everyday. Granted my food wasn't the best, but it was no different that what I've eaten my whole life. So a few months ago I changed my lifestyle, started eating clean, exercising, the works. The first 2 months I lost 13 lbs. Now for the past month and a half I've been stuck! The scale hasn't budged! I've upped calories, lowered calories, upped cardio, changed up the routine, everything and the scale is just not budging! I'm thinking I need to cut carbs. Coincidentally the bulk of my carbs are coming from my fruit and oatmeal breakfast. As a side note, my husband only eats dinner most days due to his hectic work schedule and his weight has maintained for years. He's 6' 180 lbs and eats whatever he wants. Anyways thanks for the different viewpoints. I never felt quite right force feeding myself every morning. On days I don't work I naturally don't eat "breakfast" until at least noon even though I wake up at 8 because I'm simply not hungry and just wait until I'm hungry to eat. Alright now I'm off to read leangains! Thanks again!
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    all I have to say is
    *cough* bull *kitten* *cough*
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Nope. I like my Kashi cereal too much to let it go.

you can only eat cereal in the morning right after you wake up?

Reminds me of that cereal commercial where people travel across the world so it will be morning and they can eat their cereal. What advertising moron came up with that!? Wouldn't it make more business sense to tell people it's okay to eat cereal anytime? It was good enough for Sienfeld.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    *wonders if I should step back in this thread or not*

People still don't get it.

Im waiting for more xD
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Self control is key in weight loss, which includes not eating when you feel hungry, or eating even if you are not, in order to make wise choices by keeping our metabolisms active and staying in calorie goals. So no, we don't always "listen to our bodies," we intelligently guide them.

I.E.- Eat breakfst even if not hungry.

WHY? Please, tell me, WHY do we need to eat breakfast if we aren't hungry? I look forward to hearing what you have to say, since you've spoken so definitively.

The WHY is the metabolism reference I gave. Simply put: Eating in the morning activates your metabolism, which is beneficial in weight loss. The later you eat the more hours of fully activated metabolism you miss out on. It's simply a weight loss strategy. If you don't want to do so that's fine, but you are missing out on easy help. Of course there is research to back up anything someone would want to validate, so even though I do work in the medical field, and have benefitted from this myself, and have had several patients in the past lose weight simply by adding a healthy breakfast to their routine... it's still up to everyone to decide on their own.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Self control is key in weight loss, which includes not eating when you feel hungry, or eating even if you are not, in order to make wise choices by keeping our metabolisms active and staying in calorie goals. So no, we don't always "listen to our bodies," we intelligently guide them.

WHY? Please, tell me, WHY do we need to eat breakfast if we aren't hungry? I look forward to hearing what you have to say, since you've spoken so definitively.

The WHY is the metabolism reference I gave. Simply put: Eating in the morning activates your metabolism, which is beneficial in weight loss. The later you eat the more hours of fully activated metabolism you miss out on. It's simply a weight loss strategy. If you don't want to do so that's fine, but you are missing out on easy help. Of course there is research to back up anything someone would want to validate, so even though I do work in the medical field, and have benefitted from this myself, and have had several patients in the past lose weight simply by adding a healthy breakfast to their routine... it's still up to everyone to decide on their own.

hasn't research shown that your metabolism actually increases during short term fasts due to the increase in plasma norepinephrine?

"even though I do work in the medical field, and have benefitted from this myself, and have had several patients in the past lose weight simply by adding a healthy breakfast to their routine"

nice you manged to fit 2 types of logical fallacies into 1 statement, impressive
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am in the breakfast is unnecessary if you don't want it, meals are all arbitrary anyway camp. But then I have always been a browser. I eat when I am hungry, not because a clock tells me to. That's insane.

I DO eat breakfast, but I eat it at 11 am after the school run and exercise. I then often skip lunch and eat at 4pm, 6pm and 8pm.

I should add, I don't time those meals, those are just the times I am in the house most days. As I said, I just tend to eat when hungry.
  • mittysmom
    mittysmom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank God!!! There is no way I can drink 64 oz of water a day!! This site also says you should drink 8 x 8, well now I know!! :drinker:
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to read all 15 pages of this thread, as I simply don't have time, but some people do have success with this. There's no one-size-fits-all with weight loss. My father, who has struggled with weight for years, used to be the eat breakfast,lunch and dinner guy, and even was a recreational runner for a bit. He's lost more weight over the past year using the Fast-5 lifestyle than anything he tried in the past. So it does work for some, and isn't necessarily unhealthy or counterproductive---try telling that to the 60 pounds he's lost this past year without doing any exercise simply because he changed the way he was eating by using the Fast-5. Is it for everyone? Nope. But just because it's not for everyone doesn't mean that it's for no one.
  • belinda_b
    belinda_b Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with this. For myself. Everyone is different though. Eating only fruit or nothing at all till noon or later just works for me. Always has.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Just pour the water on a 8x8 picture frame top it off and then drink it . There done LOL!!!
    Thank God!!! There is no way I can drink 64 oz of water a day!! This site also says you should drink 8 x 8, well now I know!! :drinker:
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options

Ok. . .here goes;

When you break your nightly fast you DO in fact get a small bump to your metabolic levels. HOWEVER, this small bump is not enough to actually BURN OFF the extra calories you eat during breakfast. So lets say, purely hypothetically, that you eat a 300 calorie breakfast. Yay for you, because you got a little bump in your metabolism. Just enough to burn about 20 extra calories. You've still eaten 280 more calories than if you'd skipped breakfast altogether.

It's also true that whenever you break your nightly fast you'll still get this metabolic bump. So if you wait to eat untill noon, you'll still get the same metabolic effect you would if you ate at 7 in the morning.

Chances are that the people you're talking about who started eating breakfast also started paying attention to the rest of their diet for the first time. In that case the weight loss once they started eating breakfast is a correlation, not a cause.

But you used the word "simply" when you mentioned that they started eating breakfast. This implies that they didn't change anything else about their eating habits. So you're insinuating that these people started eating MORE and lost weight. I'm sorry, but I don't buy that.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

"even though I do work in the medical field, and have benefitted from this myself, and have had several patients in the past lose weight simply by adding a healthy breakfast to their routine"

nice you manged to fit 2 types of logical fallacies into 1 statement, impressive

I'm trying figure them both out. I can see a post ergo propter hoc. What's the other? Sort of a reverse ad hominem?
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    So you're insinuating that these people started eating MORE and lost weight. I'm sorry, but I don't buy that.

This is absolutely TRUE in my case... and I'm not alone.