I have lost 20 lbs in six weeks and have never felt more alone~!

2»

Replies

• ernestrodgers82
    ernestrodgers82 Posts: 208 Member
    @Lady_Magenta Just before you joined MyFitnessPal took away the daily chat and automatic updates between friends. You can still message friends, but what good does that do? I've made my thoughts known on the Playstore reducing my previous 5 stars to 3. Hang in there. Maybe if enough people complain. the functionality will come back.
  • ernestrodgers82
    ernestrodgers82 Posts: 208 Member
    Interbeing wrote: »
    Congratulations on 20 lbs, it is a real accomplishment! I am coming back to MFP, not so much for weight loss, but to get my cholesterol levels down without statins. There used to be a daily feed when I was active on MFP a few years ago, it appears to have changed and I can't seem to find it. I did have a lot of online friends in the past and it was a great motivator, hopefully I can find the setting to activate it again. Best wishes! BTW, I am sending a friend request.

MyFitnessPal got rid of the daily newsfeed this summer. It's a real letdown as I enjoyed communicating with "my band" of merry fitness warriors.
  • walnutt1961
    walnutt1961 Posts: 4 Member
    Congratulations on the weight loss! I agree with you concerning the newsfeed.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,166 Member
    The weight you have lost so far is commendable. And an excellent start.

Now for the tough love that no one wants to read. :)

Everyone is different but I don't look to others for a pat on the back when I lost the weight and got my health back in check. I did it for me and I walk alone in this journey.

I am in this for life, and I am self-reliant to my core. All I need is my family and my dog in my life. I don't need or want fake internet friends to make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

just keeping it real... :)
  • Blueberries59
    Blueberries59 Posts: 62 Member
    @Lady_Magenta - Check out some of the discussion groups that are current - no formal joining necessary. Just jump in. I participate in Just Give me 10 Days, finishing up Round 275 tomorrow and starting Round 276 on the 23rd. It's an eclectic group with different goals, but share the same goal of sticking with it for just 10 days.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 11,202 Member
    I hope those tater tots are baked, not fried! Remember you have to cook them longer to still get that crispness.

My apologies that I missed seeing your initial intro post. I make it a point every Monday to make a round in the "Introductions" forum and post a quick blurb to every new face I see, just a quick "Welcome!" along with some helpful links to get started. But there are some weeks my work requires me to be away from my desk for several days in a row, which unfortunately means some new members slip past without my awareness.

For what it's worth, I have been using MFP for 15+ years, always the free version (except one year I was given a free upgrade to premium, never used the additional features, barely noticed when my account reverted to the free version). Like you, I concentrate on moderation over restriction, and using MFP I lost 40+ lbs of fat, bulked up 25 lbs of muscle, and am vastly different now than when I started. You're well on your way to making huge changes, but don't forget to not only take photographs along the way (the mirror lies and says you never changed, which compared to yesterday you haven't, but compared to several months ago...) but also tape measurements, since there will be times ahead when the scale lies and says you did not change (or worse GAINED weight) when the tape says your waist is smaller.

Oh, and not all of us guys are creeps or weirdos. Some of us are just geeks instead. 🤣
  • HeartInTheClouds43
    HeartInTheClouds43 Posts: 4 Member
    @Lady_Magenta Congrats on losing 20 lbs! I'm sorry no one answered sooner! I think it's this new MFP format. It makes it more difficult to interact with other people on here. It was much easier with the old format. Feel free to add me if you'd like! Keep up the amazing work!
  • joisfit
    joisfit Posts: 9 Member
    I've lost 25 pounds in 135 days doing the same as you. I do not exclude any type of food, but practice portion control. I have about another 45 pounds to go, so I am in it for the long haul. I had been obese for some time, but after the death of my son last February I started over-eating big time. In June I decided that eating is one thing I can control. I'm aiming for 1 pound loss a week. Anything more requires a calorie restriction that I cannot maintain long term.
  • Interbeing
    Interbeing Posts: 45 Member
    It certainly seem like a lot of people miss the Newsfeed site, hopefully they will bring it back. Day 5, doing well, hitting my exercise and diet goals. Best wishes everyone!
  • Lady_Magenta
    Lady_Magenta Posts: 13 Member
    xbowhunter wrote: »

Everyone is different but I don't look to others for a pat on the back when I lost the weight and got my health back in check. I did it for me and I walk alone in this journey.

I am in this for life, and I am self-reliant to my core. All I need is my family and my dog in my life. I don't need or want fake internet friends to make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Tough Love! That's my thing and no worries. I like honesty, it beats the alternative by a mile!

I am in this for life (the rest of my life). I am in control now over some of my health issues and if I don't stay on track, I will just go back to feeling miserable. I finally understand that I am the captain of this ship. I have only this one life and this one body. Time to give it the special treatment it needs.

The biggest difference perhaps. Now I think about what I (my body) needs instead of giving in to what I want. (I sound smarter than I am but I had a few lightbulb moments lately.

I am alone in this journey. The skinny and normal-size people around me don't understand how I feel and what kind of fight it is. I am happy for them and they support me.

Do I need a pat on my back? No, but it feels darn good to get one lol

• Lady_Magenta
    joisfit wrote: »
    I've lost 25 pounds in 135 days doing the same as you. I do not exclude any type of food, but practice portion control. I have about another 45 pounds to go, so I am in it for the long haul. I had been obese for some time, but after the death of my son last February I started over-eating big time. In June I decided that eating is one thing I can control. I'm aiming for 1 pound loss a week. Anything more requires a calorie restriction that I cannot maintain long term.

Dear Joisfit!

I am truly sorry for your loss. I can not imagine they pain you must feel.

I am in awe of your willpower. I have now lost 22 lbs and you are spot on, yes, portion control is the main key to success. I never knew what six ounces of fish or meat looked like. Now I do :) It's so much less than I used to eat.

I hope somehow we can stay in contact. I am not sure how it would work without a newsfeed, but I will send you a friend request and if you don't mind, I will check on you now and then -and of course I will brag and gloat as well. :)
  • vedra_b
    vedra_b Posts: 136 Member
    I feel you I had like 2 friends. This year I said I was going to go outside my comfort zone. So I went to my 30 year high school reunion. I reconnected with some friends from high school and we went on a girls weekend trip. On that trip we reached out to a couple of other high school friends and met up. Had a blast! I would never have done that in the past. And my two friend were in the same boat I was they did not have a lot of friends either so it was wonderful. I have pushed myself to say yes to things I would not normally and that has connected me with not only old friends but new as well. Get out there and get a little uncomfortable you might be surprised on what you find.

• jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 274 Member
    Congratulations! Your hard work is paying off. I found a really great thread - Women 200lb+, Let's Be Hallo-Queens This October!!! It doesn't matter what your weight currently is, or your goal. Everyone's invited and accepted. Every month they start a new thread. I don't know how to post a link otherwise I would include it. So please search for the thread and join us.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,166 Member

Tough Love! That's my thing and no worries. I like honesty, it beats the alternative by a mile!

I am in this for life (the rest of my life). I am in control now over some of my health issues and if I don't stay on track, I will just go back to feeling miserable. I finally understand that I am the captain of this ship. I have only this one life and this one body. Time to give it the special treatment it needs.

The biggest difference perhaps. Now I think about what I (my body) needs instead of giving in to what I want. (I sound smarter than I am but I had a few lightbulb moments lately.

I am alone in this journey. The skinny and normal-size people around me don't understand how I feel and what kind of fight it is. I am happy for them and they support me.

I have seen people on here say I couldn't loose the weight because I had no friends. Nice excuse!
    How about try to take ownership for your self induced issues and dig in and put the work in.

:)
  • Lady_Magenta

I have seen people on here say I couldn't loose the weight because I had no friends. Nice excuse!
    How about try to take ownership for your self induced issues and dig in and put the work in.

:)

I don't judge others and their stories or their excuses. My wildest guess is I have more excuses anyway or I wouldn't have 100+ to lose. We all have a story and different reasons why we gained weight. I think everybody who signed up here wants to put the work in (besides people on weight loss meds they have a bit of an advantage) but it's not that easy. Knowing that I have 80 more pounds to lose is overwhelming that's for sure. I need to relearn everything about food eating, and measuring. I met up with a nutritionist because I had thousands of questions.

I suppose it might be harder for women to 'put the work in'. There is family and kids and if they don't need to lose weight, then you cook regular meals for them and you face temptations with every meal.

Honestly, if nobody had answered this post either, I would have left here because being alone on a social media site with thousands of people, just doesn't make you me feel good.

I am for honesty and tough love but I also believe in kindness and understanding!

• Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited October 22
    Hi @Lady_Magenta ~ welcome

The Challenge discussion forum has advertisements for new and on-going challenges. A lot are monthly and start fresh 1st of the month. The nice part is joining an active group with people working on similar goals and chatting together

One of my favs was mentioned earlier - the monthy 'Ultimate Accountability Challenge' (UAC) The challenge is public until the 6th when it goes private, and a new one opens for each month. Everyone is welcome.

Challenge focuses on daily consistency with food and movement and also, an optional topic of the day. Here's a link if you're interested in checking it out. (Nov should open soon about 10/26.)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/147143-ultimate-accountability-challenge-october-2024

Personally, i joined MFP to be with people who are talking this stuff. Tools here are cool but can get that anywhere. It is a lot quieter since the exodus this past summer when the newsfeed ended (and the main way people followed comments of their friends.)

But, there are a lot of caring people still, and hopefully the forums and groups will rebound more. In the meantime, there are sincere active groups hanging in the challenges and in the discussion forums - hop on in... it's worth it, imo ;)
  • sillix
    sillix Posts: 3 Member
    Congratulations on a job well done. I used to have some MFP friends but only one is still active and that is my brother-in-law :-).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,178 Member
    There is apparently an "activity feed" that has been added by clicking on your picture/name and bringing up "profile/activity". Have not used yet. But that's because I've generally been cutting back on MFP.

I have to say that I made a number of meaningful connection on MFP these past 10 years. Some on my feed and some via the forums. They certainly helped and opened my eyes to ways other people were both successfully and unsuccessfully trying to tackle problems.

Both loss and maintenance, for me, have proven to be a science fair experiment with a good dose of self discovery.

Be willing to try and adapt. And persevere.

You know how levers work? length multiplies the force that you apply? The same applies to small changes that cumulatively add up when you apply time.

Ultimately, friends or no friends, YOU are the one who has to put in the work and effort to do the figuring out of what will or will not work for you long term.

Best of luck. You've started out real well!
  • TempesT94
    TempesT94 Posts: 1 Member
    I feel your pain. I've lost 34 pounds over the course of 12 months, and neither mentally nor socially anything changed for me. Was about to give up - took a break for 1 to 1.5 months, regained about 8 pounds and now I generally feel better, because I recovered mentally and physically. For the past few weeks I've been more social and actually met some people irl. Nothing I would call a genuine "friend" but its enough to socialize. More importantly tho, I feel like I can finally recognize my own progress and have the energy again to continue my diet for quite some time.

Not sure if this helps, but stay strong. If you cant go any lower, you can only go up! :)
  • binglebandit
    binglebandit Posts: 531 Member
    Congrats on all your hard work paying off! I totally get what you mean about MFP. I joined in 2012 and I spent every morning and every evening before bed reading posts, looking at my friend feed, and getting hyped. I came back recently to get back into weightloss mode and it just isn’t the same. There aren’t many new posts and I find myself mostly scrolling through forum posts that have accumulated while I was gone (success threads).

For daily inspiration I now mostly lurk on Reddit but I don’t have friends there either.
  • colemancd
    colemancd Posts: 1 Member
    Big Congrats! I like your approach. And 20 pounds in 6 weeks is AWESOME. You didn't mention exercise. Have you added a routine?
    Keep it up. Great job.
  • Lady_Magenta
    colemancd wrote: »
    Big Congrats! I like your approach. And 20 pounds in 6 weeks is AWESOME. You didn't mention exercise. Have you added a routine?
    Keep it up. Great job.

No, I haven't. My joints are aching and I am huffing and puffing like a locomotive, but less than just two months ago. My doctor wants me to start slowly and to be honest, I have done a lot of research in the last weeks. I bought a pedaling machine because I saw it on TV and it made sense. One of these impulse buys turned out to be not too bad. I can pedal manually or let the machine do it for me, which I dislike because it shows my limitations. I ordered a small, affordable set of dumbbells (not too heavy) and have looked into chair yoga. That's about it for now. Just walking up and down the stairs 10 times, or going 10 times to the end of the backyard and back is a big accomplishment.

I need to relearn how to walk longer distances. The combination of age, weight and pain has been hindering me in the past, and of course my laziness. I thought I start with 15 min a day doing something out of the ordinary that feels like exercise -even though it might be laughable to many.

I need to bite the bullet -so it feels.
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 2,738 Member
    @Lady_Magenta Congrats on all the positive changes you have made, way to go! Sorry I just now saw the message above by @lesdarts180 but I definitely agree that this health journey is so much more fun and effective when taken together with like-minded friends, for mutual support and inspiration.

I’m on my phone right now so I can’t send a link, but I will send you an invitation to the Ultimate Accountability Challenge. Please come take a look and join us if you’d like! (Anyone else reading this, you are of course invited as well. Let me know if you’d like an invitation, or simply come find our group in the Challenges area.)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!