Arrogance vs Self Confidence

Options
1235»

Replies

• catlover98611
    catlover98611 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I talk about my weight loss, my clothing size, my endurance, my love for life, my kids, my food plan, my addictions, the way my *kitten* looks in my size 1 jeans, I talk about everything....After being buried by 85 pounds of fat for the past 14 years, I don't really care what other people think about it. Am I arrogant in that thought or just confident???? Proud of it, either way. Embrace your success and find someone who will celebrate your successes with you. :flowerforyou:
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Next time she says something like that--(for instance when you hit her with the m&m and pepsi diet comment--LOL)-- tell her "don't hate the player, hate the game"...and then walk off chuckling. She sounds a little jealous and could use a little humor injection.
  • jpd10905
    Options
    So this has been bothering me a little well to be honest a lot. I made the comment to a friend the other day about how proud I was of my legs. They are way more toned now that I have been running and I can actually see my muscles without having to flex. After saying this to her....She told me that I shouldn't let my head get to big. That it was an arrogant statment to make.

In saying this please note she is not a close friend.....more of a coworker than anything

So what are your thoughts....When does self confidence stretech over into arrogance?

She sounds jealous. Be proud of your accomplishments and rock your new legs!
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    I suppose the original subject here is interesting. I don't know. Do people find it arrogant that, every time you finish an exercise on MFP, it logs it on your wall? Or every time you close out your diary (if you have it set for public view), your "friends" look at your diary and find that you eat something that's maybe more expensive or see that you're eating a ton of foods that they cannot eat? I don't know if you could really call it arrogance.

I don't see how this really compares to the OP's question. MFP is a community for logging your food and exercise. The default setting is for these things to post to your wall. It's not really arrogance that you use the tools as they were intended (although, in my case, laziness because I can't be bothered to customize it! :tongue: )

Now, if I were to print out my food diaries and show them to my coworkers, friends, and family while pointing out how much better/more nutritious/expensive my food choices were than theirs- that might be arrogance. (And annoying to the extreme)

To the OP- the actual comment cannot be judged without any other context. It sounds harmless enough, but her response (which is being pegged as extreme or jealous by most) implies that perhaps she's heard comments of this nature one too many times and that you are crossing a line with her. Especially since she is, as you said, not even really a close friend, but rather someone you happen to know from work.

I talk to one of my coworkers about fitness and nutrition. Because he cares. We make recommendations to one another over coffee in the morning. I do *not* mention my diet or exercise routine in casual conversation with anyone else- because they have given no indication that they care at all.

When I have a great run, and share that with my friend, he knows that I am just excited about my progress. If I were to bring up my run time in random conversations with people I happen to be in meetings with, they would see me as arrogant (or maybe crazy)
  • horizonflight
    Options
    I don't see how this really compares to the OP's question. MFP is a community for logging your food and exercise. The default setting is for these things to post to your wall. It's not really arrogance that you use the tools as they were intended (although, in my case, laziness because I can't be bothered to customize it! :tongue: )

Now, if I were to print out my food diaries and show them to my coworkers, friends, and family while pointing out how much better/more nutritious/expensive my food choices were than theirs- that might be arrogance. (And annoying to the extreme)

Do people always have to look and interpret comments negatively? What's the matter? I was backing her up nonetheless! I was merely giving an example firstly, secondly, an individual had posted information regarding the OP's prior wall posts when the individual was "befriended" to her. And thirdly, you're merely giving your opinion to her, so why "quote" my opinion and deflect something like that? Really not necessary.
  • ABetterBalance
    Options

Do people always have to look and interpret comments negatively? What's the matter? I was backing her up nonetheless! I was merely giving an example firstly, secondly, an individual had posted information regarding the OP's prior wall posts when the individual was "befriended" to her. And thirdly, you're merely giving your opinion to her, so why "quote" my opinion and deflect something like that? Really not necessary.

:huh: Hmmm, not quite sure what got you so upset, but ok then. I guess that just serves as a demonstration of what a lot of people have posted- what one says and how someone else interprets it are not always going to be the same. As for your firstly, secondly, etc...

1) You were giving an example. And I was responding to that example. I, personally, do not interpret the sharing of information through the default settings the same way you do. And, seeing as the nature of the message boards is discussion (and not just one-sided agreement with the OP or else) I shared my thoughts.

2) I did see the comments from the poster who was at one time friends with the OP. Since I am not (and was not) on her friends list, I do not know what he saw or how true his statements were. Since it's all pretty subjective anyway, I chose not to address that.

3) I quoted your opinion, because what you said is what prompted me to post at all. I wanted to respond to what you posted, and I quoted it. When I read the boards, it always helps *me* follow a thread and train of thought when people use the quote feature.

I read 100x more than I actually post on her. When I *do* post, I am lazy about it. :happy: I quoted you to address what you had said (because I found it interesting) and then I addressed the rest of my comment to the OP, instead of posting multiple responses. More efficient- and I like efficient! (and I believe I differentiated between the two clearly)
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    beating-a-dead-horse.gif