WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER

Options

Replies

• SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to check in. I am going to my strength training class this morning. I am having a tough time this weekend..feeling hungry. Yesterday was definitely a very picky day and the scale is showing it. UGH!! Today...I am starting with breakfast and exercise and a plan for the rest of the day.

Have a good day!
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    @ Amanda,

Just think of it as one of your down days. I have been getting them a lot these past few years. My goal is getting down to 135 or so and I can already see my body dripping. I workout but it's going to take a long time for my skin. (IF EVER) to tighten back. I look in the mirror and I'm not really excited about what I look like. Even in a bathing suit my inner thighs look pretty bad.

HOWEVER, I am really happy to be losing the weight and at this point don't care about the sagging part. I just will try to tone up more at the gym. I have done just cardio so I heard it is best to try to do both so. That is my plan.

BESIDES, I have ranted many times on this post and have always gotten support. We are not alone in this journey that is for sure.

Chin up and enjoy your day. You are a beautiful women keep that in mind.

Kathy (plantlady)
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Good Morning everyone!!!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting here drinking coffee and waiting for my steel cut oats to finish cooking, so I thought I would pop in before my day get crazy with birthday party prep. It's nice and cool now and I have the doors and windows open. That will change before the day is over but it's great now. I can hear the neighbors chickens and a donkey just brayed. It seems someone within hearing distance usually has a donkey. I just love their grating hee haw.

One day when we first moved here, I saw a peacock in the woods that border our drive. DH thought I had lost my mind when I told him but it was really there. It had gotten away from someone who lives not too far from here. Another time I opened the door and found a huge feral momma pig and several of her offspring. THAT was not such an amusing day. :noway: :explode:

Amanda - I feel kind of inadequate even trying to respond to your post, seeing as I am nowhere near as successful as you at losing the weight.

I don't think you should beat yourself up about wanting tighter skin. No, it's not the issue that the weight was, or your heart surgery, or probably many other things in your life but we're human and always want a bit more than we have. There is nothing wrong with that. Maybe looking yourself in the mirror and rattling off a few good points about the weight loss (you are here and active for the new twins, heart surgery was easier, your knees feel better...) will help when you get aggravated at the skin issues. Also, your skin probably is still shrinking. So you may well have more improvement in that area.

Sorry, I tend to rattle on. :embarassed:

It's time to get moving. Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Faye
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    GOOD morning!

Grammie, Scol, Julie, Britborn: WELCOME! This is such a wonderful place for support, friendship and we look forward to getting to know you!

Amanda: You have done SO well...I think we always find something we don't like about ourselves! Go find an old photo from "before" and perhaps that will cheer you up:-)

SallyCC: I too had a "picking" day yesterday. There was nothing in particular that I was craving, I was just hungry. I had a very good week before and I hate to ruin it with the extra nibbling. I too, plan for a heathier day.

faye: enjoy the birthday party!

DH and I are going out in the boat for a picnic on the water. It is sunny and calm for a change here and we have been gone so long this year. I hope that the shrimp are still around and that I can come home with enough for dinner!

Everyone have a good day! Kackie:heart:
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Hi Everyone:

I don't know what is happening, but I keep losing my posts and they were long ones too. It gets frustrating :explode:

There are too many posts again to answer personally.

Welcome to all the newcomers. You will enjoy it here.

I am still having a hard time with my mouth and I have to go for another root canal next week. The pain is down but not gone. I need to get a couple of crowns done as well. Thank heavens my hubby has a dental plan or I would be in big trouble :wink:

For you that have lost weight, congrats :flowerforyou:

Oh, and Sissy, a special shout out to you - enjoy your cruise and I can't wait to see a picture on you in "your dress" :drinker:

I have been down with a migraine the last couple of days but thank heavens it is easing off today. I am affected by weather and we have had a lot of rain the past few days so I think that is where the migraine came from and stayed for so long.

I love reading the posts, so much interesting news and I learn so much. I had never heard of a coke cola cake before; I am interested to find out if you really use cola to bake it? Does it have a soda pop taste at all?

Well, Ladies, I will run for now and talk again soon. I just wanted to try and post again and hope this one makes it!!!

Love, Cathy xx
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Cathyxx

try using your word pad program side by side this site. That way you can save it and paste into POST REPLY when you are finished. That is what I do if I have a long post.
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am down with a nasty cold. Hopefully it is of short duration. Will have to get out and get me some cold medicine. First I will eat some home made chicken soup.

:flowerforyou: Welcome to all newbies. You will find a lot of support on this forum.

- I quickly read through the recent posts. Amanda, I am glad you shared your thoughts. I am personally thinking of having some tummy work done, to get rid of some flab. Your weight loss of course has been amazing and more than many. Funny how our minds work. You have done fantastic and I admire you.

Okay, I am fading as I type and better get to the store and then back to bed.

:heart: Rebel
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Just got in from my walk/run this morning .... I ran in the rain! ..... I use the term "run" very loosely ..... probably looks more like a shuffle than a run!

I have had a very busy/active weekend ..... burned too many calories yesterday to bother putting them all on .... scrubbing and oiling a new deck we have put around out pool ..... I tested the heart rate monitor and for 30 mins I did 293 calories ..... and I worked for hours ..... yeah!

I stupidly weighed myself again this morning (why can't I just leave it to once a week) ... very depressing.... I have gone back up .... but I feel good and I am really confident I am on the right track .... but if I don't start getting some results soon I am worried i will just follow my usual track record and give up.... I don't know what more I could be doing really....

Rebel - so sorry you are unwell .... I've just got over a really bad cold/flu thing myself and the chicken soup works wonders .... my husband made me a big pot - jewish mothers penicillin he calls it ..... get better soon.

Cathy - root canal sounds very painful ..... hope it is all fixed for you soon..... dental is so expensive isn't it .... I have luckily inherited pretty good dental genes and so far my kids have as well.

Kackle - picnic on the boat sounds fabulous.... hope you had a lovely day and got a good catch of shrimp (we call them prawns).

Faye - what a lovely place you must live .... donkeys, chickens, pigs, peacocks .... I'm envious.

Amanda - you must have worked so hard and should be so proud of yourself .... I'm sure you must have had other down days during that journey and you must have got over them and onwards .... embrace your moods, look after yourself and you will get over this feeling and start seeing the positives again ..... everyone has days when they feel unattractive (even supermodels I've heard!) ...... and as you said yourself ..... you have a baggy "little" bum .... at least your baggy bum is little now! .... it could be worse but that doesn't help pick you up now ...... .:flowerforyou:

To everyone else..... I just love reading about your lives .... its great to feel such wonderful friendship and support here.

Have a great day everyone, Lisa:bigsmile:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Welcome julie, scol and grammie. You've all come to the right place for motivation!

Did yoga today (Sat). Didn't realize how late it was and I almost missed the farmer's market. Bought some more bok choy and persimmons (they are soooooo sweet). I haven't done any pilates lately so I think tomorrow I'll do a pilates DVD.

Faye - how do you cook your bok choy? Lately I've been steaming mine and then using it in soups.

Sandy - A big "hello" to you, too. So many new people, that's wonderful!

Amanda - that colonoscopy's prep is no fun, but it sure beats the alternative...huh????

Cathy - yup, you use coca cola in the cake. But, honestly, it didn't have that much of a coca cola flavor, at least I didn't think so. More of a chocolate flavor. but it is GOOOOOODDDDDD (good for the tastebuds, not for the scale...lol) The coca cola is in the cake batter and in the frosting, but to me, they both taste very choclatey

It's Sunday, I did an hour of pilates today. Tomorrow I'll take the extreme pump class. After the class, I need to go to WalMart to get Vince some Claratin then I'll probably go practice bowling. It's supposed to be nice weather so I'd like to finish stringing the popcorn for the tree if I can. Getting ready to host bunco here Tuesday night, you know, things like vacuuming.

Say, does anyone know if you can freeze persimmons? I'm not talking persimmon pudding (never had that until I moved to NC). Got some real sweet persimmons at the farmers market and I don't want them to go bad before I can eat them. Also, I steamed some bok choy, can that be frozen?

Oh, does anyone have a good recipe (with nutritionals) for a crockpot dish of mainly veges? I'll look online to see if there's one for a ratatoulle (or however it's spelled)

Guess that's about it from me for now. Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • topaz2986
    topaz2986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Evening Everyone!

Welcome to all the new kids!

Renny....Feel better soon. Colds are no fun. It's not fair to not feel well in the fall...it's such a beautiful season to be out and about. I like essential oils in my bath when I get a cold...eucalyptus and tea tree oil. Eucalyptus really helps the stuffiness.

Kackie....A picnic in a boat sounds awesome. A picnic anywhere sounds so very relaxing. You've given me a great idea on how to spend some relaxing time w/Eric. We need to get out more.

Amanda...Be happy. You've made wonderful accomplishments! I think a moment of self-pity can be cleansing. Let it all out and then get back to enjoying all your successes! I've done the yo-yo dieting all my life as well and I worry what will be left hanging around when I finally start to get my scale to move. The thought of more flexibility, better bp and cholesterol, etc. is helping to keep me focused.

I didn't get around to finishing any of the projects that I wanted to :explode: Spent yesterday getting caught up on cleaning, shopping. Today...laundry, budget/bills. Sadly, I did alot of sitting around too. I was so worn out this w/e after a busy week at work. I need to get out more and enjoy the great weather we're having in South Jersey!

Everyone have a great nite!

Rita
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I think there are several reasons that I am not troubled by my flabby "leftovers" after losing weight. I have never been a person to wear skimpy garments or show skin or even wear shorts or a bathing suit. I think maybe I was an Orthodox Jewish woman or a Christian missionary in another life because I tend to wear long pants, long sleeves, and turtle necks all the time. Since I live in a cool northern climate, there is rarely a day that calls for really summery clothing and since I'm colder than anyone else, I wear long sleeves when everyone else is wearing a tank top.

:bigsmile: My friend who splits her time between Texas and here just came back for awhile and wanted to get together to talk so I suggested a walk and we had a beautiful autumn afternoon with the leaves turning for our walk that was close to two hours.

:flowerforyou: Lisa, I weigh myself twice a day and don't let the numbers bother me. Right now after too many days of high sodium and high calorie eating my weight is up 3 pounds above what my ticker says which is two pounds higher than my goal........I am determined to stay to the healthy path and not be discouraged by the number.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Kathy (plantlady) I hope I'll be hearing from you a lot more......you have been so important to me since I started MFP......I know you can reach your goal :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: Rebel, get well soon
  • Sweetpea3963
    Sweetpea3963 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    "Procrastination is the termination of motivation." I saw this somewhere (can't remember - might have been on this site), but this is how I have been feeling lately about exercising. I really need to get moving and stay on track with the exercising. Hopefully, tomorrow is the day for that. Let's see how many of us can get at least a 1/2 hour of exercising in tomorrow and post it on this blog. I will if you will..........

Thanks ladies.

Renate
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone:

I don't know what is happening, but I keep losing my posts and they were long ones too. It gets frustrating :explode:

I am still having a hard time with my mouth and I have to go for another root canal next week. The pain is down but not gone. I need to get a couple of crowns done as well. Thank heavens my hubby has a dental plan or I would be in big trouble :wink:

Oh, and Sissy, a special shout out to you - enjoy your cruise and I can't wait to see a picture on you in "your dress" :drinker:

I have been down with a migraine the last couple of days but thank heavens it is easing off today. I am affected by weather and we have had a lot of rain the past few days so I think that is where the migraine came from and stayed for so long.

I love reading the posts, so much interesting news and I learn so much. I had never heard of a coke cola cake before; I am interested to find out if you really use cola to bake it? Does it have a soda pop taste at all?

Well, Ladies, I will run for now and talk again soon. I just wanted to try and post again and hope this one makes it!!!

Love, Cathy xx
  • westernjoy
    Options
    Hi Everyone:

Love, Cathy xx
  • topaz2986
    topaz2986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    "Procrastination is the termination of motivation." I saw this somewhere (can't remember - might have been on this site), but this is how I have been feeling lately about exercising. I really need to get moving and stay on track with the exercising. Hopefully, tomorrow is the day for that. Let's see how many of us can get at least a 1/2 hour of exercising in tomorrow and post it on this blog. I will if you will..........

Thanks ladies.

Renate

I love the quote, Renate! I'm in. I was just thinking about setting some goals for the week....now I know where to start!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    So I used the corn we grew this summer. (not the greatest but it was fun) and I made a spicy crab corn chowder. It was a really filling dinner and was jus the right thing on a cloudy fall day. I am starting to find my balance. Eating healthy and execising whenI can. Not beating myself up about it. I hope you all had a lovely weekend and here's to a great week.
  • westernjoy
    Options
    Sorry ladies trying to use my phone for this site. My fingers are way to big for this.
    Cathy I have the same problem with my laptop. I was told I was told that I'm moving my hand
    Across the sensor. So when I'm using my laptop every couple of sentence I copy it so
    I lose it I just paste it in

Been a pretty rough week 2 extra graveyards. Went over today on my eating. Breasfast was left over cous cous
    Had KFC pot pie 790 calories for dinner
    Hopefully tomorrow after getting up I will do better.
    This week will be better.
    I will be getting a 25 inch flat screen for my garage. Costco has it for 169.00 It will be nice to be able watch tv
    Or a movie will I'm on the rowing machine. Have'nt found a decent ellipical machine. Going to keep looking.

Welcome all newcomes.
    Hope everyone has a great week
    Joyce
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    (((Amanda))), yeah, we aren't going to have the bodies we envisioned, time is not our friend in that regard. By the time I get to goal I'll have lost 144 lbs so I'm guessing a lot of loose skin. I'm not sure how it's going to bounce back, or if it will. And truthfully, I'll probably do a consult for removal if a lot remains after being at a stable healthy weight for a few years. We each have our own journey in that regard.

Had a great day on the golf course and now will pay for it by having to stay up late and work on my paper. Almost have made all the notes I need to in order to get started. In fact, better head down now.

Hugs to you all, and here's to a great day tomorrow.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Good morning ladies

:smile: I've started my exercises again yeay :happy: :happy: I've started with a 10 mins exercise video this morning after the dog walk, so far I've already got 4916 steps on my ped. I aim to go for a walk at lunchtime, I'll probably not get home in time for the evening dog walk (Daughter normally takes them late afternoon now so as not to be walking on the common in the dark) but I hope to continue with 10 mins for the rest of the week and then increase it gradually.

:flowerforyou: Renate - that quote just about sums me up! I hope to get in a bit more exercise - I'll let you know tomorrow how I did.

Sorry a quick post today, I've got to get moving and get ready for work.

Take care everyone. :heart:

Viv xx