VERTICAL CHALLENGERS! Home to all shorties out there. (OPEN)

Options

Replies

• jilleebean777
    jilleebean777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    About me......

I am 5'2" and live in Phillipston, Ma (central Ma area). I have a DD who is going to 5 on Nov. 5th, and a loving Husband. We were married 1.5 years ago, May 7th, and have been together for a little over 8 years. We are in the process in looking for a house to call our own. I am a 911/Police Dispatcher and work 3-11pm. I have not struggled with weight my whole life, only since I got out of school, and stopped playing sports.

I lost a lot of my weight and was close to my goal (10-15lbs off) when I started planning my wedding. The stress of planning and the stress of watching what I was eating became too much for me (I am an emotional eater) and i gave up on the "eating better". I therefore gained 40-50lbs back, and I am starting again on my journey.

I know that I can do it, I was there once before! This time I feel like I have more support then I did before with family, friends, and this site.
  • thelegendhorse
    Options
    I am 4'8 so this sounds good to me ;)
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I have added myself to the roster. I go by Sassy, am 41 years old, live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and have 3 kiddos (young adults) who are 24 (d), 21 (s) & 18 (d). I also have 2 grandchildren who are 4.5 (gd) and 14 months (gs). I was always slim and fairly active until I was in a car accident 12 years ago. I developed some heath issues since then but I've decided they aren't going to stop me or slow me down.

I gained about 60-65 lbs within 6 months of the accident and my weight continued to climb until November 2010. It was around this time when the last of my children moved out of the house and I was trying to find something to do with myself. In November, a local gym decided to have a contest to see who could get in the best shape based on their individual starting point. To start the contest, you were weighed, measured, given a fitness test and provided with your body composition. After the 12 weeks, you went back to the gym to have the same things done and to see how much you improved. I struggled during the fitness test and it was the wake up call that I needed. I decided to apply myself, in the ways I knew how to, and ended up losing 7 lbs during that time. This loss was enough to kick start my belief that I could lose weight despite my health issues and the medication I was taking. I began looking for other ways to motivate myself. I also joined MFP in November to track my weight loss but stopped using it shortly after the contest ended. It wasn't until March 2011 when I saw a friend post her weight loss on facebook and noticed that she was using MFP that I really started to utilize the program. In March 2011, I started logging my food AND losing more weight. I also started exercising and logging that as well. I found challenges on the Message Boards and starting joining them. It's the challenges that provide me with the motivation and accountability I need to keep going.

At the beginning of the contest in November 2010, I weighed in at 229 lbs!! :sick: Since then, I have lost a total of 51 lbs!! :bigsmile: I am off all but one of my medications and my health has greatly improved, as has my endurance and fitness level. I have about 50 more pounds to lose but I am DOING this and I WILL reach my goal weight!!

Good luck to all you Vertical Challengers... we can do this!! :flowerforyou:

Welcome aboard! I know the feeling when it comes to accidents. I was in a car accident two years ago and my neck and back have not been the same since. It definitely makes it hard to exercise but I've found my way around it so far :flowerforyou: .
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    so, i've added myself onto the roster! good stuff. now just to get my butt into gear!
  • L2M1D52
    Options
    How's everyone doing with the challenge? I have to admit I need work on this water intake. I normally get to 6 and can't go any longer lol! Maybe I need to start measuring it.
  • jilleebean777
    Options
    I got in 60 minutes at the gym, 20 on the elliptical, and the rest toning!! YAHOO!!
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    How's everyone doing with the challenge? I have to admit I need work on this water intake. I normally get to 6 and can't go any longer lol! Maybe I need to start measuring it.

I had been increasing my water intake over the last month or so and find that I drink at least 64 ounces each day without thinking about it much anymore. It just needs to become a habit. A good habit that gets rid of one of those bad habits.
  • L2M1D52
    Options

I had been increasing my water intake over the last month or so and find that I drink at least 64 ounces each day without thinking about it much anymore. It just needs to become a habit. A good habit that gets rid of one of those bad habits.

I actually drink nothing but water before I started to want to lose weight. When I was younger I went over 3 years with nothing but water. I just for some reason don't think to take in liquids as often as I use to.
  • graceea
    graceea Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! I was referred to this forum and am SO happy to find people who are short as I am! I'm 4'10"!!!!
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm so amazed at how many short girls there are on here!! And even shorter than me (by a LOT)! I'm the shortest person I know, where have the rest of you been hiding!?

I finally figured out where that Tab was at the bottom of the page you were talking about :D

My only suggestion is (and it may be too late for this, I know nothing about spreadsheets) is maybe we could alphabetize the profile names? Only because i have to hunt for mine :D But if it only alphabetizes the names and not the rest of the lines then it would be all messed up. So you know what I mean.

I'm excited to be able to put in an exercise number OVER the amount thats required of us! I'm getting my water in, and exercising six days a week. I love the 20 minute 30DS sessions. It makes it so easy to get in a workout.
  • Shellitz
    Shellitz Posts: 188
    Options

I'm confident that I'll meet the excercise minutes, and I am determined to get this water drinking right! I am not very good at drinking enough, like at all. I rarely drink anything other than water (except for my one cup of tea in the morning) but I still struggle to meet it. I guess it is all about getting into the habit of it!

I will say one thing though - I keep going "oooh crap i need to drink more water!" and gulping some down to catch up....and it's making me pee A LOT hahahahahaha must work on the sipping often method I think!
  • jilleebean777
    Options
    Got in all my water, and 60 min at the gym!! HURRAY!!

Glad to see so many of you are doing well too!
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    trying to workout at least an hour during the week...so far so good...30 minutes on the weekend....Good with water except for the weekend, came in short a couple of glasses.
  • Terri_39
    Terri_39 Posts: 122
    Options
    I think I've just found my soul sisters...LOL. 5'0" here!
  • jilleebean777
    Options
    Hope everyone is having a good day!! ixgvxh5918u_2epqdewjb6.png

weighed in today and lost 8lbs this week!! Got in 60 min of exercise with the trainer cardio/toning together., And amhalf way done with my water!!
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I just found this thread. Great Idea. Wish I found it sooner. I'm almost 5'1". I've never joined one of the groups. How do I record the challenge, etc.?

I found it and have added myself.
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I hope it's okay...I sorted the spreadsheet alphabetically...does anybody mind?
  • L2M1D52
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I hope everyone is doing well on the challenge :happy:

Let’s start round 2 of getting to know each other. It would be great to have more participation to keep the chat up and alive. We have close to 90 people in the group, we can do it!

So here are some hopefully fun questions.

1. What is one place you haven’t traveled that you would love to go to?

Mines would be anywhere in South America.

2. Do you know any jokes? If so, tell us one.

I have one that I always thought was so lame but given that I’m in the field I thought It was funny. Here it goes…

How many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb?

...................................... Give up? …………………………….

One, but the light bulb has to want to change! :laugh: HAHAHA I know I’m probably the only one laughing. :laugh:

3. Do you know how you got your name?

My mother ended up picking Lisa because her boss was having a child at the same time and his daughter was born before me and he took the name she was going to name me. I hate my name and always wanted to change it. My name was supposed to be Christina. Another name she had for me was Illiana. Which sounds pretty in Spanish. I thought it was cool because it looked like my state and my neighboring state combined Indiana and Illinois. However, I’m glad she didn’t because that was the name of our garbage company later on and I could imagine the jokes that would come my way. LoL

Now it’s your turn to answer the questions!
    :smile:
  • jilleebean777
    Options

The Great Barrier Reef to go snorkling

Well this one os sorta lame too, it always makes me smile though.....What's clear and smells like carrots??

Bunny farts!! :laugh:

Well I'm not sure the real exact reason, but there is always one that my mother told me, *my mother is a very sarcstic, funny woman* and she told me, keep in mind my name is just Jill, my brother Eric, 2 simple names. So she continued to tell me one day that she chose these names incase we were "special" so to speak, that we would still be able to spell our names. *note she said this straight faced to an at the time 12 year old (me) and then walked away LOL So I'm not completely sure....
  • L2M1D52
    Options

The Great Barrier Reef to go snorkling

Well this one os sorta lame too, it always makes me smile though.....What's clear and smells like carrots??

Bunny farts!! :laugh:

Well I'm not sure the real exact reason, but there is always one that my mother told me, *my mother is a very sarcstic, funny woman* and she told me, keep in mind my name is just Jill, my brother Eric, 2 simple names. So she continued to tell me one day that she chose these names incase we were "special" so to speak, that we would still be able to spell our names. *note she said this straight faced to an at the time 12 year old (me) and then walked away LOL So I'm not completely sure....

Haha, I've never heard the bunny joke. You mom does sound pretty funny. I wonder if she really thought that haha.