Replies

• Aurelina
    Aurelina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump! ((-:
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    First day w/o cravings, and at 47g of carbs total for the day. Well, the wine is calling, but that will have to be after I unearth my glutes. lol, getting there! Frekin ripped everywhere but my upper thighs and my hips. And that's with out any lower body weights due to the dog bite.

The dog bite is finally healing, but a ruptured vein in the soleus is the main cause of pain. Limited mobility, and intense burning when the heart rate goes up! Doc.s are monitoring everything.

My torn illiacus is on the mend too. That was an injury sustained in August due to multiple freak incidents compounding the area with multiple injuries until a strain occured. It's stable now and the Doc. is happy that there is almost full range of motion back. Thank you yoga for that! I started incorporating abwork again, yeah!

Come on gals and guys, stay safe and remember to not take the bait those zombies are laying out there. There's allot of zombie attacks going on in the message boards from some pretty cruel people. Please don't fall for mob zombie tricks. Also, what happened to CoachNyla? Was she abducted by pirates? I hear that there's rumors that the top MFP success stories and inspirations are jumping ship. :(
  • PrimalMorningMoon
    PrimalMorningMoon Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Day one of no diet soda. I'm on my 5th glass of water. And my 5th trip to the bathroom! LOL

Yay!! Going no soda is hard, and cold turkey is the only way!! You go!
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Day one of no diet soda. I'm on my 5th glass of water. And my 5th trip to the bathroom! LOL

Yay!! Going no soda is hard, and cold turkey is the only way!! You go!

I agree. My nemesis is Crystal Light. I have yet to stop it although I've cut down. Graysgirl, you're right ... cold turkey is probably best.

Hockey7fan ...
    Proud of you for ditching the soda. "running to the bathroom" ought to be in the database! lol
  • PrimalMorningMoon
    PrimalMorningMoon Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    graysgirl: Hiker, body weight exercises, and just got a kettlebell...learning new ways to be active in the Primal Blueprint style.
    5'3"
    Waist: 39"
    Hips: 45"
    CW180
    GW140
    Weight Loss Path since 9/2010
    Primal since 10/10/2011
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    My FB friend, Adam Farrah of "Strong is the New Skinny" and "The Paleo Dieter's Missing Link" wrote a post that I think every single challenger on our thread will benefit from reading, especially if you are new but even the veterans. He also has cool free paleo stuff on his blog. :bigsmile:

http://practicalpaleolithic.com/paleolithic-diet-blog/it-really-does-get-better

For those who have struggled with changing their way of living, are currently struggling or will struggle...It Really Does Get Better!
  • ResilientWoman
    Options
    ResilientWoman aka Illyeanna, Voluntary Moderator for October Whole 30, Leptin Reset - Date: Oct. 7, 2011. Height: 5'7.5"
    Weight: 248.0 lbs
    Neck: 15.5"
    Upper Arm (Left/Right): 15"/15"
    Lower Arm: 10.75"/11"
    Chest: 46.75"
    Bust: 49"
    Band: 41"
    Waist: 44"
    Hips: 49.5"
    Thigh: 24.5"/24.75"
    Calf: 17"/17"
    Ankle: 10.75"/10.5"

CavewomanCoby - training for Tough Mudder

Momof8munchkins - Leptin Reset, Weight: 214 lbs, Measurements: notebook.

justamyagain - 10/3/11 - SW 169.4 lbs
    Bust 36.5”
    Waist 33”
    Hips 41.5”

MUDDERinTRAINING aka Stacy - training for Tough Mudder. October 3, 2011
    Height: 5'1"
    Weight: 107 lbs
    Bust: 32"
    Waist: 23.75"
    Hip: 34.75"
    Thigh: 20.25"
    Body Fat: 28%*
    *at goal weight, need to drop body fat percentage

TheGlen - Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 229.5 lbs
    Neck: 17.25"
    Waist: 44"
    5K: 38:57

iluv2travel aka Jenny - Height: 5'1"
    Weight: 110 lbs
    Waist: 26"
    Bust: 34"
    Hips: 36"
    Thighs: 21"
    Calves: 14"
    Goal: lower body fat %, reduce migraines, feel more energized.

hpsnickers1 -

Grokette, founder of September Whole 30, co-moderator -

StephieJMann - Height: 5'5
    Weight: 177lbs
    Waist: 31"
    Max amount of pushups: 10
    Max amount of tricep dips: 10

jamk1446 - Voluntary Mentor, Veteran of this WOL, Here by my invitation to support the new challengers and lighten my load as moderator (I am a single mom, building my own business, fighting my way out of poverty by tooth and nail and cannot always be here). Your sig says it all, "At goal weight 5 years eating real food." Thanks for all your patience and education of posters here, Jamk! Goals: Getting better quality/quantity sleep.

scagneti - Bicep: 10.5"
    Chest: 34.5"
    Waist: 27"
    Stomach: 29" (finally got rid of that bloat!)
    Hips: 34.5"
    Thigh: 20"
    Weight - 126.6 lbs

msbanana aka Anna - Height: 5'9.75" [Note: was seriously injured on Oct 5 and didn't drop out! You go girrrrl!]
    Weight: 170.2 lbs
    Bust: 39"
    Waist: 30.5"
    Hips: 40.5"
    Right thigh: 21.5"
    Right calf: 15.5"
    Right bicep: 12.25"
    Barbell bench press: 135 lbs (3 sets of 8)
    Dead lift: 185 lbs (3 sets of 6)
    Squat: 225 lbs (3 sets of 8)
    1 mile: 7:45
    5K: 27:56
    12K: 67:34

livraynesmom - full time active duty military, goals: higher function in military duties and in maternal ones.

Donna808Mauka -

jmeej -

EdelweissViola -

busywaterbending - Height: 5' 3” [Injured Oct. 6, 2011, still in the challenge. Keep healing!]
    Weight: 112.4 lbs
    Bust: 34”
    Waist: 24.75"
    Hips: 34.5"
    Right thigh: 21 in*
    Right calf: 12.75
    Right bicep: 10.5
    *Goal - slimmer thighs

cbear017 aka Claire - Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 154 lbs
    Train: 4x a week, HIIT
    Alcohol: 2 glasses per week

TrufflePig -

KBGirts -

hockey7fan -

mnext7e - Oct. 1, 2011.

Ayla20103005 - Oct. 6, 2011
    Height: 158 cm/5'2"
    Weight: 89 kg/196 lbs
    Training: Strength 3 days/week, Cardio 20 minutes 3 days/week

Graysgirl - Date: Oct. 10, 2011 Height: 5'3"
    Waist: 39"
    Hips: 45"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Training: Hike, body weight exercises, kettlebell

KavemanKarg -

carriebgood -

kh145 aka Karen - Leptin reset, paleo Date: Oct. 13, 2011. Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 222.8 lbs
    Training: Kettlebells (40 - 50 swings/evening). Bodyweight (10 or 20 sumo squats) ... would like to work in a Tabata routine
    Play: (also slow movement) Walking in Nature. Take along my camera to record my surroundings. I go to bird watch which expands my mind as I'm learning all the new species.
    Building tribe: Good for social aspect as I meet new people every time I head out.
    Goal: to follow the reset as closely as possible and swing with the bells. Regain a more wholesome life. Concentrate on the positive and move away from any stressful drama.

kerriknox - Oct. 11, 2011

TattooedMommy42 -

mj_zepeda -

nmbasilico - Official starting date: October 15, 2011. Height: 5'3"
    Weight: 159 lbs
    Bust: 41"
    Waist: 36"
    Hips: 41"
    Thigh: 22.5"
    Goals: Less fat, more energy, healthier life

ladybugss -

ettawelk -

thinnerjenn -

alexaransome -

asugar -
  • ResilientWoman
    Options
    Still looking for the starting date and stats from some of you. Please post here and I'll copy them into the master list. Busywaterbending has offered to throw it all into a spreadsheet and keep track of it all for us. Since my computer is still being repaired and I don't understand the loaner computer's spreadsheet software yet, I say we let her. LOL

We'll give everyone a little more time to chime in with their numbers and whoosh, go for it, BWB.
  • ResilientWoman
    Options
    [Also posted in Palelo Support? thread but I know that not all of you have time to look at both threads so here it is.]

First, sorry I have no pics.

Second, I've finally invented the Perfectly Paleo Pumpkin Spice Coffee Drink. I cannot call it a latte because there isn't any cow milk. I cannot call it a breve because there isn't any half and half or even my beloved grass fed heavy whipping cream.

Third, here's the recipe:

1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
    1 teaspoon Cloves
    1 teaspoon Ginger
    1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
    French Market, CDM or Community Coffee & Chicory (all of these brands make "Coffee & Chicory", don't get 'pure' coffee by mistake, you'll be disappointed. They are each available online, at any grocery store in New Orleans or at your local Asian market. Look in the Vietnamese section.)

Combine in your coffee basket by putting the spices in first and then covering with 1 Tablespoon or more Coffee and Chicory for each 6 ounce "cup" of coffee in your drip coffee maker.

Per mug:

1 strong cup (or mug or vat) of above spiced New Orleans Style Coffee & Chicory

1/4 cup (or 2 Tablespoons) of Organic Canned Pumpkin (not pie mix, just pumpkin)

2-4 ounces (4-8 Tablespoons) of Coconut Cream (not coconut milk which has more water) If you add the pumpkin first and then the hot coffee, saving the coconut cream for last, you'll know the amount is right because of the color of your coffee will clue you in.

Allow coconut cream and pumpkin to come to room temperature while you wash last night's paleo dishes (oops), boil water and make a fresh pot of spicy coffee & chicory. Winter is coming soon so maybe split a few logs for your caveman fire later in December or January.

Pre-warm your favorite coffee mug with boiling water. Dump water into sink or throw at something dirty to save effort later. If throwing at dirty cavekid or grokling, avoid eyes. Add room temperature pumpkin to hot but empty mug. Add hot spiced coffee & chicory. Stir, whisk or blend with immersion (stick) blender. If your mug is not cavewoman or caveman sized, expect to feel less than groksome when you burn yourself with hot coffee. Add room temperature coconut cream by the Tablespoon or ounce so that you know how much you added and can dutifully track accurately on MFP later. Stir throughly without re-burning your fingers. Tell them they can have some paleo aloe later.

Do not add sweetener. Taste it already! You may find that it is just perfect the way it is. If you must sweeten after getting a grok-sized glug, use real food. Sweeten with liquid vanilla stevia (works like magic on me and my 6 year old), raw local honey but only a fraction of a teaspoon or else you'll drown out the subtle sweetness of the coconut cream and the pumpkin's fragrance.

Do not whine to me when you have pleased your primal palate so well that you can no longer read "Pumpkin Spice Latte" on all the coffee signs around town without harrumphing that you wouldn't bother after tasting the *REAL* food version. It's not my fault. I didn't hold a large club over your head and make you try it.

Have a great Fall and don't avoid your seasonal goodies, just transform them from mundane, chemical loaded cr*p to works of gastronomical art that also build muscle, burn excess fat and heal our brains and bodies.

:glasses:
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    nice, I'm so gonna try that fall drink receipe! Thank you. I usually just throw some peppercorns and a dash of cinnamon to my coffee for a bit of spice, but your coffee idea sounds so awesomely addicting....
    :tongue:
    I love the motivational link that you sent. Nice. BTW, I will get on the spreadsheet asap, and I will have it available for download offsite for anyone who PMs me!!! I will not let anyone gain access to it w/o the password, okay? Have you noticed, we have close to 5k hits on our thread? lol, we have got to be pretty popular here.

For some amazing workout ideas, check these out: http://artofmanliness.com/category/health-sports/ I wish I had a gym buddy I could work with that was my size so we can do this stuff. It's been quite some time since I've run courses, ropes, jumps, etc. but boy are they fun! I still have my minitrampoline back home. :smooched: NSV, finally doing good w/ my diet - calories have never been my concern, but getting the carbs low has been. Finally getting that final tweek down.

:drinker: Good morning, now go kick some fat.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin "Latte"?!?!?! That sounds FANTASTIC!!!

I have a little victory I would like to share...

I have a vice- it's dark chocolate. I love the stuff. I very rarely buy it but it's ALWAYS around at work. It has been 7 days since I've walked by the candy basket and grabbed a piece of chocolate. :noway: AND I managed to go 7 days without any Greek yogurt. (until this morning- I had a protein shake emergency. I started making my morning shake and remembered I was out of protein powder so I added plain Greek yogurt for the 17g of protein.)

These 2 vices have been the 2 things I've been hanging onto. The longer I've gone without them the better I feel and the easier it is. I have also noticed that without them my belly has gone down even more... Perhaps I am less tolerant to the dairy than I thought.

I'm feeling far less angsty this morning so here's to a good day- no thoughts of maiming idiots and no crying. Let's see how this lasts. OH! and I have a hard core WOD set up for tonight.

HIIT- 50M Sprints w/60 second rest x5

Deadlift (Heavy as I can go w/o jacking up my arm any more) 5 sets of 3 reps

Squat 3 sets of 8. I will break 225lbs today. I would like to see 235lbs.

Burnouts- 3 rounds
    Hacksquat (machine)- 20
    Kettebell swing- 20 (each arm)
    Front squat- 20
    lunge +twist- 20 (each leg)
    Squat Jump- 50
    Box Jump- 20
    Burpees- 20

Have an awesome day y'all!:smooched:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

I have learned that I can not venture very far out of my realm on the boards and I am looking into buying hosting space to create my own message board. I am going through my thought processes for how I would like it structured and go from there.

I just want to be around like minded people because the conflicts aren't there and everyone understands what is being said.

I refuse to let anyone steal my joy today. We are going to the world series game tonight and since we got in an all inclusive area I will be able to eat bunless burgers and hot dogs.

I may have 1 beer just to celebrate while I am enjoying the game. This is a choice I am making so I will suffer the consequences without belly achying or complaining.

Parting words: Stay Positive. Eat Real Food. Keep it simple.
  • Grokette
    Options
    I am hearing rumors that they may go the route with this site of not allowing anyone to be a part of the website in the near future that is doing an alternative weight loss program......... (i.e. - HCG, Atkins, Paleo, etc)

I am trying to find out if this is true. If it is, I am going to have to work faster to get us our own posting forum.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I am hearing rumors that they may go the route with this site of not allowing anyone to be a part of the website in the near future that is doing an alternative weight loss program......... (i.e. - HCG, Atkins, Paleo, etc)

I am trying to find out if this is true. If it is, I am going to have to work faster to get us our own posting forum.

I think I can understand not wanting to promote certain diet products or eating disorders but I'm not sure how they could police all the different eating programs that everyone is following. What about low-carbers that are doing so on doctor's orders? Or those groups with food allergies/ intolerances/ medical conditions like PCOS? What if you follow paleo because you were forced into it or else become debilitatingly sick? I could be naive, certainly unfair things happen every day, but I would like to think that if Mike/ Steven/ whoever wanted to lump our lifestyle choice in with something like HCG that we could state our case for why it IS healthy. There's enough of us to show smart diaries and healthy progress stats and pics and they could read back through the very many threads where they could see some very reasoned discussion, advice, opinions, and links to further prove our point. And so far, the posts and responses I have seen from Mike on other issues lead me to believe he is a fair, honest, and reasonable person who would be open to hearing us out.

The idea of us getting kicked out for doing what we feel is best for us is extremely upsetting but at this point it is only rumor. I haven't been here very long but I have seen this message board attacking and other nonsense run in cycles. We seem to be at a high point right now.
  • Birder150
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

I have learned that I can not venture very far out of my realm on the boards and I am looking into buying hosting space to create my own message board. I am going through my thought processes for how I would like it structured and go from there.

I just want to be around like minded people because the conflicts aren't there and everyone understands what is being said.

I refuse to let anyone steal my joy today. We are going to the world series game tonight and since we got in an all inclusive area I will be able to eat bunless burgers and hot dogs.

I may have 1 beer just to celebrate while I am enjoying the game. This is a choice I am making so I will suffer the consequences without belly achying or complaining.

Parting words: Stay Positive. Eat Real Food. Keep it simple.

I love going to ballgames, although I haven't been in a while. Comerica is right across the river from me where the Tigers play.
    Have a great time!
    I can't visit too many threads in the forums lately. Just too much drama. I prefer the sedate atmosphere of the paleo group.
  • Birder150
    Options
    Pumpkin "Latte"?!?!?! That sounds FANTASTIC!!!

I have a little victory I would like to share...

I have a vice- it's dark chocolate. I love the stuff. I very rarely buy it but it's ALWAYS around at work. It has been 7 days since I've walked by the candy basket and grabbed a piece of chocolate. :noway: AND I managed to go 7 days without any Greek yogurt. (until this morning- I had a protein shake emergency. I started making my morning shake and remembered I was out of protein powder so I added plain Greek yogurt for the 17g of protein.)

These 2 vices have been the 2 things I've been hanging onto. The longer I've gone without them the better I feel and the easier it is. I have also noticed that without them my belly has gone down even more... Perhaps I am less tolerant to the dairy than I thought.

I'm feeling far less angsty this morning so here's to a good day- no thoughts of maiming idiots and no crying. Let's see how this lasts. OH! and I have a hard core WOD set up for tonight.

HIIT- 50M Sprints w/60 second rest x5

Deadlift (Heavy as I can go w/o jacking up my arm any more) 5 sets of 3 reps

Squat 3 sets of 8. I will break 225lbs today. I would like to see 235lbs.

Burnouts- 3 rounds
    Hacksquat (machine)- 20
    Kettebell swing- 20 (each arm)
    Front squat- 20
    lunge +twist- 20 (each leg)
    Squat Jump- 50
    Box Jump- 20
    Burpees- 20

Have an awesome day y'all!:smooched:

Congratulations on your NSVs!
    Your WOD sounds like a winner. Happy sweating!
  • Grokette
    Options

I think I can understand not wanting to promote certain diet products or eating disorders but I'm not sure how they could police all the different eating programs that everyone is following. What about low-carbers that are doing so on doctor's orders? Or those groups with food allergies/ intolerances/ medical conditions like PCOS? What if you follow paleo because you were forced into it or else become debilitatingly sick? I could be naive, certainly unfair things happen every day, but I would like to think that if Mike/ Steven/ whoever wanted to lump our lifestyle choice in with something like HCG that we could state our case for why it IS healthy. There's enough of us to show smart diaries and healthy progress stats and pics and they could read back through the very many threads where they could see some very reasoned discussion, advice, opinions, and links to further prove our point. And so far, the posts and responses I have seen from Mike on other issues lead me to believe he is a fair, honest, and reasonable person who would be open to hearing us out.

The idea of us getting kicked out for doing what we feel is best for us is extremely upsetting but at this point it is only rumor. I haven't been here very long but I have seen this message board attacking and other nonsense run in cycles. We seem to be at a high point right now.

I have to say that I am a HUGE advocate for alternative weight loss methods as long as it is Doctor or Naturopath supervised...........

Also, I will speak as someone that has done the HCG plan for other medical issues than weight loss (even though the weight loss was a great added benefit). The plan in itself is not unhealthy or dangerous.

The same goes with low carb, Paleo, Atkins, etc.............

This was what one of the moderators stated when they locked a low carb thread yesterday and the same response was given for an HCG thread that was also locked that I posted on.

The very first sentence says it all. If they decide to go the route of not allowing anyone to post on any topic except for calorie counting / low fat, eat everything in moderation - groups such as ours will be pushed out.
    Dear Posters,

The staff of MyFitnessPal is actively reviewing our stance on topics that recommend or promote dieting methods that run counter to our site's own weight-loss recommendations.

In the meantime, please make sure to refrain from attacking or insulting other users.

Earnest and respectful debate on any message in the forums is acceptable. Attacking the messenger is not.
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    Grokette,

yes, sadly I have been messaged by Steven who informed me that the MFP owners/staff are seriously considering eliminating any "fringe" dieters from participating. Not sure if this includes paleo, but I defitnetely got the vibe that this will include the bodybuilding muscle heads for some weird reason. I do have a free meetup.com webpage I can offer us. That would keep the lurkers out.

Anyway, another crazy day at the gym. I love working out with my husband, but usually we do our own separate thing. I used to have a gang of gals who all lifted together and I really miss that gal pal gym time. The ladies at the gym I go to now are either obesely overweight and have no clue of how to break a sweat, but can miraclously stay on the treadmill in the dark of cardio cinema while text messaging each other, or are constantly eyeing me as I groan and pump while they stand next to their man who's doing the same thing as me. *sigh* I need to hear that my group pals here are tearing it up at the gym. You help motivate me. Right now I have images of the lazy women at my gym and the stink of the one gal on the treadmill this am who obviously has no hygiene rituals to speak of. Thank God I was wearing my perfumed sweat cuff on my wrist - kept that baby under my nose for close to 20 minutes!

Anyway, I never tire of hearing motivating and move your *kitten* stories like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh_yc6AKXLI&feature=related (Jenna Marbels' rant about the ladies at the gym). Share your workouts too please! :) And Grokette, happy baseball outing! It's gonna be a great game.
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    I would be interested in another way to stay in touch if that happens. I find these threads hard to follow anyway. Private group on facebook or meetup .. anything. Keep me in mind if you all go anywhere!

QUESTION: After being totally clean and grain free for over a month I have started to notice that I have an INCREDIBLE sense of smell again AND taste. I think I was actually intolerant to gluten or have celiac so I wonder if somehow it affected my sinuses/allergies!! (among the many other things it was doing to me.

Has anyone else noticed this going paleo?

NSV- 30 days and 3 inches LOST!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I am a HUGE advocate for alternative weight loss methods as long as it is Doctor or Naturopath supervised...........

Also, I will speak as someone that has done the HCG plan for other medical issues than weight loss (even though the weight loss was a great added benefit). The plan in itself is not unhealthy or dangerous.

The same goes with low carb, Paleo, Atkins, etc.............

This was what one of the moderators stated when they locked a low carb thread yesterday and the same response was given for an HCG thread that was also locked that I posted on.

The very first sentence says it all. If they decide to go the route of not allowing anyone to post on any topic except for calorie counting / low fat, eat everything in moderation - groups such as ours will be pushed out.
    Dear Posters,

The staff of MyFitnessPal is actively reviewing our stance on topics that recommend or promote dieting methods that run counter to our site's own weight-loss recommendations.

In the meantime, please make sure to refrain from attacking or insulting other users.

Earnest and respectful debate on any message in the forums is acceptable. Attacking the messenger is not.

I agree with you about doctor supervised programs and alternative therapies but many of the HCG'ers aren't. Beyond that, I don't know much about it and tend to stay away from those threads. I saw the low-carb thread and this message from the mod. I guess I didn't read that much into it based on the thread because there was so much misinformation and trolling. I haven't had any direct discussion with any mod and as I said above, maybe I'm being naive. I'd be very open to another forum, facebook, or meetup if it comes to that.