Gaining Muscle is NOT that easy.

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Why do you think that Chyna used anything? Maybe she did, maybe she didn't. But a lot of bodybuilders don't use anything to get their body. Bodybuilding doesn't come overnight. No one will get a bodybuilders body in a month.
    China had lazer hair removal from her face, she has a deep voice, and had plastic surgery to have her jawline "feminized". Oh and when her female organ is the size of a baby boys sex organ............................
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    A person doesn't have to lift weights to have strength.
    That's true, but a 400lbs overweight guy and a 200lbs lean guy can have the same strength. If people looked at the 2, the assumption is that the lean guy emulates strength and the overweight guy is...........well overweight.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I took the 2-3lbs in 12 weeks and just doubled it. Blargh. Where's my roids? This is going to take forever...
    Boost yourself naturally........................heavy squats, deadlifts and barbell rows really boost natural hormones. And if you bomb legs for a session, it is anabolic!
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    That's true, but a 400lbs overweight guy and a 200lbs lean guy can have the same strength. If people looked at the 2, the assumption is that the lean guy emulates strength and the overweight guy is...........well overweight.

If the 400lb guy gets out of bed, he's lifting, which is probably why he's so strong. Now to convince him not to go on severe calorie restriction and cardio so he loses all the muscle...
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    it does not take a lot of effort to gain muscle mass. it doesnt even take heavy lifting. what it does take is time. I've gotten more results, mass wise, swimming in sweats than I ever have lifting. though I generally go more for indurance lifting than max.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents in this rant.

Shunshine, thanks for stating the obvious misconception. I find the frequent assumption of quick muscle gain quite frustrating as well.

It is hard work to gain muscle and well take time. I would throw out there that due to infinite physiological variables between the many individuals, some will gain quicker than others. Any "I gained 5 lbs of muscle in a month!" is highly suspect.

The newbie gain effect has been pointed out.
    I would suggest those that are significantly overweight and male may have the capacity to actually gain lean mass while on a caloric deficit when training appropriately. Reductions in body fat will lower estrogen levels. This, combined with proper training and a nutrient/protein rich diet and adequate rest, stimulating an anabolic state certainly promotes the retention of lean tissue.

Pure speculation on my part, but it would seem to me with favorable hormone conditions that the body would reach into fat stores of the significantly over weight to generate the energy required to generate the new tissue promoted by the new training stimuli (heavy lifting, etc.). Obviously the body would use such adaption when there is an obvious surplus of stored energy (approaching obese or greater), and the hormone conditions were favorable. I in no way would assume this as a general rule. However, the capacity in some individuals would not surprise me. As the fat stores drop, I would also speculate that capacity would diminish until such point that a caloric surplus is required for muscle tissue generation.

Just a hypothesis on my part though.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    China had lazer hair removal from her face, she has a deep voice, and had plastic surgery to have her jawline "feminized". Oh and when her female organ is the size of a baby boys sex organ............................

A lot of women have facial hair. I have seen women with a mustache. It's not because they have taken anything.

My point is, every bodybuilder doesn't take anything to get their muscles. Some people do go at it naturally.

Some women like muscular arms. Some like muscular abs. I'm not that woman. I like a tone body and that's why I aim to be toned and not muscular.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    it does not take a lot of effort to gain muscle mass. it doesnt even take heavy lifting. what it does take is time. I've gotten more results, mass wise, swimming in sweats than I ever have lifting. though I generally go more for indurance lifting than max.

Are you seriously saying that swimming is a better exercise to gain muscle mass than lifting?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Are you seriously saying that swimming is a better exercise to gain muscle mass than lifting?

No, he's saying swimming IN SWEATS is better for gaining muscle than lifting.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it's not that easy for men to put muscle on either.

Men do have it easier though.

Oh yea completely agree here ^^ def not easy for anyone to put on muscle! Takes time and HARD work

Hell I even have seen a few people say they are gaining so much muscle mass from walking, running, and even cleaning their house xD

LOL!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Wait! So that means that now since my clothes are too big and I swim in my sweat pants... I will gain muscle!!! Woot! "D Any person will build much more muscle LIFTING WEIGHTS than anything. I don't care if those weights are hay bales or tv's... its still weight. You will NOT build more muscle walking for a month than you would strength training (legitimately) for that month.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    So in 6 months of heavy lifting, eating at a surplus, I as a woman should expect about 5-6 pounds of muscle and 1.5-2 pounds of fat?

6 lbs of muscle still seems a bit high. As stated above 12lbs in a years time is for people getting the newbie effect :/

I took the 2-3lbs in 12 weeks and just doubled it. Blargh. Where's my roids? This is going to take forever...

I feel your pain. It is gonna take forever, but at least I love lifting heavy so I guess it won't be too unpleasant. I'm eating at or around maintenance, but I'm ready to up my calories further to put on some muscle.

Oh and I love my muscular arms! I used to have just normal thin arms (probably the infamous "toned" look some people are going for) and I far prefer my muscular arms now. Not only are they strong, but I think they look better in clothes as well. I was buying new blouses for work a few weeks ago and the saleswoman told me I had beautiful shoulders. :)
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    it's really really hard for chicks to gain muscle cuz they lack the man juice hormone and have less muscle mass to begin w/ than men. :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Anecdotes aren't evidence. I'll take the word from actual science behind how muscle is built and gained.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    A lot of women have facial hair. I have seen women with a mustache. It's not because they have taken anything.
    If you've seen Chyna before and after pics, there are OBVIOUS physical and structural traits that change due to anabolic steroid use. Like I mentioned before, a deepened voice, a pronounced "male" jawline, facial hair and enlarged female genitals are all side effects of anabolics on females who use them. It'd be one thing if she had facial hair, but to have practically all the side effects isn't from a "natrual" approach.
    My point is, every bodybuilder doesn't take anything to get their muscles. Some people do go at it naturally.
    I don't dispute this. I competed as a natural and still am. There are several natural bodybuilding competitions, but even then some of the competitors were users and dropped down from juiced to natural competitions.
    Some women like muscular arms. Some like muscular abs. I'm not that woman. I like a tone body and that's why I aim to be toned and not muscular.
    You've strayed from the topic. I will dispute your post that getting muscular fast can't happen unless you have musculature to show. In order to do that you would have to build it up and like it's been stated by factual evidence, it's not that easy to build muscle and even harder if you're a female due to lower levels of testosterone.
    You may be defining muscular as arms with low body fat. But if it were that easy and fast, then many females here who consistently weight train and diet shouldn't have issues with "bat wings".
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    While it's true that people can't gain 5 lb of muscle in a week, I think the #s that some people are claiming are really conservative assuming newbie gains. I gained about 10 lb in 2 months... are you guys suggesting that was 2 lb of muscle and 8 lb of fat? It certainly doesn't look like it to me.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    While it's true that people can't gain 5 lb of muscle in a week, I think the #s that some people are claiming are really conservative assuming newbie gains. I gained about 10 lb in 2 months... are you guys suggesting that was 2 lb of muscle and 8 lb of fat? It certainly doesn't look like it to me.
    Probability of maybe 5-6 lbs. The only way you can really tell is if you were measured before and now.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    You've strayed from the topic. I will dispute your post that getting muscular fast can't happen unless you have musculature to show. In order to do that you would have to build it up and like it's been stated by factual evidence, it's not that easy to build muscle and even harder if you're a female due to lower levels of testosterone.
    You may be defining muscular as arms with low body fat. But if it were that easy and fast, then many females here who consistently weight train and diet shouldn't have issues with "bat wings".

Your body can't speak for every woman's body, neither can mine. That's why we are all unique. I'm done.
  • soysos
    Options
    I'm saying its not hard to gain muscle mass. consistant athleatic conditioning over 5-6 years will gain as much if not more muscle mass as serius weight training over one year. again not hard just time consuming.
  • soysos
    Options
    Wait! So that means that now since my clothes are too big and I swim in my sweat pants... I will gain muscle!!! Woot! "D Any person will build much more muscle LIFTING WEIGHTS than anything. I don't care if those weights are hay bales or tv's... its still weight. You will NOT build more muscle walking for a month than you would strength training (legitimately) for that month.

try this some time and see hown you feel. warm up with 500m, then do another 1000 in 100m intervals with 30 sec in between, then another 500 in sweats seat pants sweat shirt, then cool down with another 500. do this 3 times a week for a month and you will gain a pound of muscle.