What was the worst thing someone said to you regarding your

Options

Replies

• swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have long since forgiven him for this but parents- please note- that saying mean things about your childs weight will not help them lose it!

That is SO true. My mom was very thin as a teen/young adult and then gained a ton of weight when she got married, and she tries very hard but has always been overweight (she also has PCOS). I think she was so disappointed in herself for getting fat (since she'd been so thin before) that she just wanted to try everything in her power to make sure I didn't make the same mistakes. I truly think she had NO idea how much she hurt me with her comments. The worst part is, I was never really overweight until a couple of years ago- I was always well within my healthy range. Here's a few I can remember:

In middle school, when I was VERY thin- this is what set me up to be so afraid of gaining any weight:

"Don't ever gain weight- in high school people that are fat don't have friends or get dates."
    Said numerous times when I commented on a wealthy friend (I was jealous of all the "stuff" she had- but she was overweight)- "She has NOTHING on you. She would kill to be you- being thin is a thousand times better than having more stuff."

In high school/beginning of college, I was 5'4 and 130-135 pounds (ironically, this is my goal weight now). If I excercised and dieted like crazy, I could get down to 120, and then my mom would see me gain from that and get afraid that I was going to "go crazy." These are all things she said during that period-
    (When coming back from working at a summer camp) she grabbed my stomach and said "What did you find so interesting to eat up there?"
    -"Someone already looks like they gained the freshman 7 or 8. It's not like you look terrible now, but I assume you want to look like you did before."
    -"Remember when you were so fit and thin?"
    -"Should you be eating that?"
    -"I can't believe you would think about wearing a 2 piece suit with your figure"
    -"That outfit is only flattering on skinny people."
    -"I looked for an extra large, but could only find a large" (when buying me shorts- remember I said I was a size 4).

Of course it only got worse as I got bigger...in college I dreaded visiting home because I knew she'd make comments about my weight. I truly believe that she was a HUGE factor in what made me think it wasn't okay to be 135 pounds and eventually gaining. If I thought that was healthy and fine, I could have easily maintained it. However, I got trapped into yo-yo dieting and binge-starve cycles trying to lose weight at that size. I think she truly thought she was doing what was best for me by encouraging me to be thin and happy, but she ended up being a big root of the problem. Parents- DON'T DO THIS TO YOUR KIDS!
  • rockabillymama
    rockabillymama Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    some girl walked up to my husband and I and hit on him right in front of me then we he looked at her like she was a smelly dead animal, she looked me up and down and said "i don;t know why you'd wanna be with that, when you could be with this"
  • november03
    november03 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Lately everyone has been asked me if I am pregnant. My youngest will be 5 next month and she also asked me if I had a baby in my tummy, because it keeps getting bigger. That in it self was a kick in the pants to start this program…..
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    This makes me sad. People are so mean. Stay away from people who hurt you.
  • jilleebean777
    jilleebean777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Wow this thread brings back awful memories.
    All my friends were thin. I was the "chubby or fat girl"

My mom said some pretty awful things too but always followed it with "i love you and don't want you to be fat"

The one comment that really hurt me was when I was walking from my car into Wal-mart...just minding my own business and this car full of teenage guys passes by me and they are laughing.
    One hangs out the window and screams.
    HAVEN'T YOU EVER HEARD OF JENNY CRAIG??

I just felt devastated and humiliated.

Now I'm 8 lbs from goal and 6 lbs from 100 lost and ...I get hurtful comments but it's the opposite.

I'm obsessive over my weight now..like I am supposed to just stop trying or I've lost enough..just take a rest.

Make up your mind people either you want me healthy or you want me fat.

My 2 younger sons....they used to say things ...I know kids do and they dont' mean it bad.

Now they are my biggest fans. My baby boy says to me mama you look so beautiful and skinny!

I am glad i make them proud.

Nichole

The part where people are saying "just take a rest", "you are almost there" etc....some people are blessed with a high metabolism, and it sucks when you aren't and you HAVE to continue to STAY where you are. There is NO STOPPING, it's going to be a constant for the rest of your life, like you said "you either want me skinn/healthy or fat!!"

I can't believe how many of you out there had MOTHERS that put you down like that. I think that would be the most hurtful thing in the world is to have my mother say/have said some of the things I have read here.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Wore a purple suit to work and one of my much smaller male co-workers started singing the Barney song. Put that suit in the thrift shop box as soon as I got home.
  • AmberXenon
    AmberXenon Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    When I was about 11, my grandmother said to me: 'It's a good thing you're intelligent, because you'll never be attractive."

Thanks for ruining my self esteem, Granny. ><!
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    When I was eleven I overheard a conversation between my mother and my grandpa's wife. Grandpa's wife said that I was "quite a chunk" and my mom told her I was just fine the way I was. Grandpa's wife said, "I just don't know what to think. She was fine until she turned ten and then she puffed up like a balloon!"

When I was a kid my mom and my aunt were trying to coordinate having a picture taken of all us kids together. They wanted to make sure our outfits did not clash, and thought about even doing matching outfits. My brother said, "How are you going to get an outfit for Sis that will match the other girls? They wear frilly little dresses and she gets mumus from Jonesville Tent and Awning. "

I worked in a credit union as a teller, and I actually had a member stand at my teller window and say that my husband must be really lazy. When I asked him why he thought that he said that lazy men were always with fat women because they didn't have to work during sex - they could just "smack her *kitten* and ride the wave." After he said that he proceeded to stand there in front of me and laugh until tears rolled down his cheeks. A few weeks later my husband and I were out for a drink with friends and I actually saw this same creep in the bar. I pointed him out to my husband, and he and one of our male friends walked over to confront him. They told him that he needed to apologize to me. He said that he was just speaking the truth and it was not his fault that I had "more rolls than a bakery." He also said that I needed to learn to take a joke. I walked out at that point with the other friend that was with us. I don't know what else was said after that and my husband never told me, but I do know that the man never came to my teller window again. Some people are just big meanie jerk heads (as my daughter would say)!
  • rachelnutting
    Options
    If I hear one more time that I have childbearing hips or that with my waist to hip ratio I will never have to worry about heart disease.....
  • momtimesone
    momtimesone Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was told by a guy I was totally in love with that he was mentally attracted to me but not physically and that he was attracted to me before I gained weight

Had another male friend once tell me that he would of visited me at my work a long time ago but he saw how fat I was and could not fathom that I had gotten that big so he decided it was best to avoid me because being seen with me was not good.

A male friend told me to watch out for his best friend because the guy is a chubby chaser then proceeded to tell me I could sit up front in his jeep because I would not fit in his back seat as his male friend was much thinner. When we where at a party together he told me to go up the stairs behind him because we would both not fit on the stairs together.

My son comes to me and says to me its ok if your fat momma I love you anyways..It should not be ok its why I am making this change.

Hitting it off with guys on the phone and chat but when I meet them in person there is always a really good excuse to end the date early sometimes within minutes of meeting and even thought I described myself truthfully they still say I read you where BBW I just did not think you where that obese.

I use insults and put downs to drive me to reach my goal so I can say I did it and I managed to do it with class and dignity and without hurting another. I will never treat anyone like I have been treated and the one true reason behind my weight loss is so that I can live a long life for my son as I am only 32 and have lost both my parents to weight related deaths within the past two years and It hurts every day I never want my son to go thru this kind of sadness at such a young age.
  • lovelee79
    lovelee79 Posts: 362
    Options
    -Gramma: "maybe we should stop feeding you"
    -Husband: "all the fat on your body and stomach are just not attractive !"
    -Male stranger at a party: "yeah so you are pregnant right?" (Do men really think women drink alcohol when pregnant? wtf ??!!)
    -Male stranger at a new years party: "So nice to see you out in your condition, being pregnant and all.." (really WTF?!)
    -Male stranger at a bar: "are you really pregnant?"
    -Male stranger at house boating party: "she drinks lots of beer, look at her beer belly"

These are just some that I can remember. I have cried many times over these insulting comments.
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    some girl walked up to my husband and I and hit on him right in front of me then we he looked at her like she was a smelly dead animal, she looked me up and down and said "i don;t know why you'd wanna be with that, when you could be with this"

Oh I hope you kicked her *kitten*! haha
  • AZChatterB
    AZChatterB Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    When I got my first place, I went furniture shopping for a living room set. I went to a local store that had a good reputation and the salesman told me I would need something sturdy because of my weight (I weighed about 170 lbs at the time). I was mortified and left. Lucky for me I found a great couch, love seat, and recliner at another store. I was able to pick out the fabrics and had the set for over 20 years.

By the way, I got a great sense of satisfaction when that first store went out of business.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    My stepfather was insanely cruel and used to abuse me over everything, his favourite subject being weight. When I was 105lbs he'd say things like:
    "You're fat and pathetic, no man will ever want you."
    "You deserve a man who'll hurt you and abuse you, maybe then you'll learn."
    He would make jokes about my weight in front of people. He once stood over me for an hour screaming at me while I cried, forcing me to do crunches.
    Then when I actually got chubby, at about 140lbs, he would simply sneer at me and say "You're a f*****g embarrassment, I don't want to be seen with you or have anyone know we're related."
    Any time my weight came up my mother would act weary, disappointed, and angry, saying I was chubby to spite her and she had no time for me until I would 'do the right thing and lose weight".
    Then they used to get mad at me for not having any self esteem. Wtf?
    Needless to say, I cut them out of my life about a year and a half ago and have never been happier.

Good for you. When they are really old and call you because they need someone to change their diapers, call up the local nursing home and have them pick the two of them up. Sorry but it just makes me so mad that your mother didn't come to your rescue. I hope you have a wonderful life!
  • kmrodger
    Options
    and yet i'm still skinnier than you
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I climbed trees and played outside for hours just like my sisters and my friends but I was the fat one. I had a great uncle that would tell me in front of a crowd that I must run my sisters away from the table to get so fat. I found out years later he was a freakin pervert. Glad I was fat! There are many more but fortunately I learned a long time ago that some people are just ignorant, others are just mean and some folks - well, if they had a brain they would probably take it out and play with it. I took the crap as a child but not as an adult. If you rattle my cage I will bite so beware.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Some of these things are just heartbreaking!! I can't imagine parents saying these things to their own kids. Omg, I don't care if my daughter was obese I would encourage her to be healthy & try to HELP not put her down and ruin her self confidence. It's clear that statements made to kids at a young age really stick with them.

PS--feel free to add me if you need more supportive buddies :)
  • nana2boys
    Options
    I just wanted to cry when I read some of these.
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    'Do you wear a body suit to squeeze the fat in?' ... I was getting ready for a night out and he said it in front of the whole party!
  • kallibrae
    kallibrae Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It wasn't so much as what they said, but what they did.
    I was spat on in grade 4 for my weight.