*Serious subject* - Protection while walk/jog/running in you

Options

Replies

• BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    You people are scary. I'm glad it's illegal to carry guns, knives (as weapons) and pepper spray here.
    I could point you to all kinds of research that proves an armed populace is safer than an unarmed one - even for those who choose not to be armed. The majority of US has had ever-increasing levels of freedom for self-defense and concealed carry permits for the last 20 years and violent crime has gone down apace. At the same time, US states which have resisted the trend to allow legal citizens to arm themselves have seen crime increase. The UK and Australia also saw upsurges in violence when they disarmed law-abiding citizens. Occupied-home invasions are almost unknown here because criminals don't want to get shot either.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Oh, and to all those who think they are safe because "weapons" are illegal where you live: all that means is that only the criminals are armed. If some scumbag is out looking to rape you and cut your throat, he sure as hell doesn't give a damn about the illegal knife he's carrying.

gunzone.jpg
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of guns period --- but I do carry a mace/noise thingie.

Another great thing is to get a RoadID --- unless you carry your wallet with all your other stuff.
    You never know when you're going to faint, trip, get hit by a car. I always wear my RoadID too.

I personally would not want to walk or run around my neighborhood if I knew everyone was packing a gun. Yuck. That's why I go to a gym where they are banned.
  • MsWilder1
    MsWilder1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good topic and I agree. Theres alot of crazy things happening out there. I go with a partner, eithr my daughter in law or my husband, and us girls take pepper spray. Rather be safe..then sorry
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options

Another great thing is to get a RoadID --- unless you carry your wallet with all your other stuff.
    You never know when you're going to faint, trip, get hit by a car. I always wear my RoadID too.

I personally would not want to walk or run around my neighborhood if I knew everyone was packing a gun. Yuck. That's why I go to a gym where they are banned.

I used to go to a gym where guns were banned too. Oh, except for the gun in my duffle bag of course. But I was probably the only guy in the place who had a gun in his duffle bag. Or was I?
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options

Respectfully, do you really think criminals care about guns being banned anywhere? Just so you know, you probably pass lots of people every day who carry guns concealed. You need not worry about the law-abiding citizen who carries a gun, you need to worry about the guy who has no regard for the law or you. Be safe, be alert. :smile:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Carrying a gun without knowing how to use it quickly and effectively is a nice recipe for your attacker grabbing it and shooting you with it instead of the other way around. As a gun-owner, I do not recommend ANYONE pickup a firearm without proper training in gun maintenance, usage, storage, safety, and the law. If you pull a gun on someone, you had better be able and willing to use it with lethal force.

Also, anyone considering carrying a firearm should know the laws in your state about concealed weapons. Carrying a firearm onto a state or county park is a felony in many states as is carrying one within certain distance of government buildings, public schools, etc. which may lie along your running trail. Carrying them into the national parks without a permit is also a felony. 20 national parks do not allow loaded firearms at all (also a felony if you get caught). Nearly every state also requires you to have a concealed weapons permit to carry a firearm underneath in a non-visible way. These permits require you to complete classes in proper gun safety and the laws in your state.

For those of you who don't want to take the time to learn how to properly use a firearm, take a self-defense class instead and carry pepper spray.

I'm all for women (and men too) being prepared to defend themselves, but just don't be stupid about it and do something that could cost you your freedom, enormous amounts of money, or your life.

EDIT: Wikipedia has an outstanding articles about current gun laws by state for those of you who are interested in reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you brought this up - it really is a good topic. The last thing you want while trying to live a long and healthy life is for it to be cut short while you're doing so!! Deterrance is always good, so even something like a whistle or pepper spray to keep the guy away works 95% of the time. Someone else said it but I have a couple big dogs and I'm usually out running/walking with them... they generaly keep people away - friendly people too! :P But I may also start carrying a knife or some type of spray. Thanks again!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You people are scary. I'm glad it's illegal to carry guns, knives (as weapons) and pepper spray here.

Wow! Thanks for being judgmental against people who simply want to never be victims. I'm sorry your country denies your the simple right of owning a weapon and being allowed to protect yourself against bad guys. I wish you all the best.

Not so much judgmental as cultural differences - something that seems like the norm in some parts of the world is gobsmacking in other parts. It's what makes international forums interesting!

I'm getting used to these weapons conversations on MFP now but it is still amazing to me that regular people talk so casually about carrying weapons for self protection, that is just not heard of where I live.
    This isn't a criticism, just an observation and request for understanding that what seems normal to some of you is simply astounding to many of us.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Moving is always an option. There is always something you can do, you might not want to do it and it might be hard, but you can always pick up your stuff and move.

And no, the original post was about bringing protection along with you, not about safety. The post isn't about wearing bright reflective clothing, carrying pepper spray (mace is illegal FYI mostly), having a phone on you, running with your dogs, being aware of your surroundings...it was solely about bringing a weapon with you.

I'm not a gun advocate, and I'm not naive. And I don't appreciate those implications at all. I run a lot, I'm smart and when it's dark I run in well-lit areas with no music and look over my shoulder often. I just don't believe in guns. I'm a realist, but I don't believe that I (or anyone else) should have to carry a gun. And as a somewhat serious runner, I would not be running in an area where I felt that unsafe. I would rather run on a treadmill, drive 30 minutes to a safe area or not run at all.

Really moving is always an option? How much money do you make that you can go around buying a new house when you feel the need.

As far as looking over you shoulder, try being pulled into a car with a bunch of young teens beat the crap out of and then raped, all the while running in a place you fill safe. Look over you shoulder all you want it wont stop that from happening, trust me I know.

People are abducted, killed and raped in places they feel safe all the time.

As far as the OP original statement I believe she is trying to make people aware of things around them and to be safe and to protect them selves in a safe manner that are aware and trained in.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Moving is always an option. There is always something you can do, you might not want to do it and it might be hard, but you can always pick up your stuff and move.

And no, the original post was about bringing protection along with you, not about safety. The post isn't about wearing bright reflective clothing, carrying pepper spray (mace is illegal FYI mostly), having a phone on you, running with your dogs, being aware of your surroundings...it was solely about bringing a weapon with you.

I'm not a gun advocate, and I'm not naive. And I don't appreciate those implications at all. I run a lot, I'm smart and when it's dark I run in well-lit areas with no music and look over my shoulder often. I just don't believe in guns. I'm a realist, but I don't believe that I (or anyone else) should have to carry a gun. And as a somewhat serious runner, I would not be running in an area where I felt that unsafe. I would rather run on a treadmill, drive 30 minutes to a safe area or not run at all.

Really moving is always an option? How much money do you make that you can go around buying a new house when you feel the need.

As far as looking over you shoulder, try being pulled into a car with a bunch of young teens beat the crap out of and then raped, all the while running in a place you feel safe. Look over you shoulder all you want it wont stop that from happening, trust me I know.

People are abducted, killed and raped in places they feel safe all the time.

As far as the OP original statement I believe she is trying to make people aware of things around them and to be safe and to protect them selves in a safe manner that are aware and trained in.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

Respectfully, do you really think criminals care about guns being banned anywhere? Just so you know, you probably pass lots of people every day who carry guns concealed. You need not worry about the law-abiding citizen who carries a gun, you need to worry about the guy who has no regard for the law or you. Be safe, be alert. :smile:

You also need to worry about the dumbass who gets road rage or pissed off if you cut in front of their bike when they had a bad day. People are scary. I've actually seen someone get out of their car in a traffic jam and walk up and smash someones window. Law abiding citizens who know how to use guns are just as likely to rage and someone without one.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Oh, and to all those who think they are safe because "weapons" are illegal where you live: all that means is that only the criminals are armed. If some scumbag is out looking to rape you and cut your throat, he sure as hell doesn't give a damn about the illegal knife he's carrying.

we never said we were more safe, just not every country has the same mindset the usa has on weapons. so for us to choose alterier protection is much more common sence then to strap a gun to our thy, knowing i live in the middle of know where in a town of 7000 people im pretty happy with the protection i have
  • BrewerGeorge
    Options

You also need to worry about the dumbass who gets road rage or pissed off if you cut in front of their bike when they had a bad day. People are scary. I've actually seen someone get out of their car in a traffic jam and walk up and smash someones window. Law abiding citizens who know how to use guns are just as likely to rage and someone without one.
    That doesn't happen though. CCW permit holders are - by definition - one of the most law-abiding groups of people. If they weren't they couldn't qualify for the permit. Statistic prove that it is extraordinarily rare that a CCW permit is revoked for cause.

I did my Bachelor's thesis on this subject, and I could bore you all to death with statistics, but I don't think this is the venue for that. You can either trust me, or look up the info yourself if you care enough. It's all out there. Start with googling John Lott if you're interested.
  • elizetta
    Options
    I live in a state with bears, moutain lions and other large wild game so I often carry my bear spray. I have an awesome small can that fits and straps around my hand. I have not heard of anyone being attacked while running/walking the trails here but I did hear about a gal being attacked while camping with her two small children. She used the only thing nearby to protect herself and her children...wasp spray. It didn't cause long-term damage but the man said he'd never attempt an assault again during his court hearing. The point is that people must learn to protect themselves no matter by what means. So for people to say you're attempting to promote others in carrying guns/weapons, I'd have to say I have children that I would like to go home to after I jog so by all means carry whatever you feel confident using as long as it is legal and safely done.
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options

If he used his weapon illegally, or committed an act of violence, then he is no longer defined as a "law-abiding citizen", he then becomes the "bad guy". Law-abiding citizens are not the ones you need to worry about.
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

I could point you to all kinds of research that proves an armed populace is safer than an unarmed one - even for those who choose not to be armed. The majority of US has had ever-increasing levels of freedom for self-defense and concealed carry permits for the last 20 years and violent crime has gone down apace. At the same time, US states which have resisted the trend to allow legal citizens to arm themselves have seen crime increase. The UK and Australia also saw upsurges in violence when they disarmed law-abiding citizens. Occupied-home invasions are almost unknown here because criminals don't want to get shot either.

Could you post some of your links to this research? Causation based, not correlation, please.
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think most people are missing the point that carrying a gun or other weapon is not going to be an option for most of us, though. Personally, I would never carry something that could be used against me. Guns, knives, batons, even pepper spray. If I'm attacked, I'm not expecting it obviously, but the attacker is. How easy is it to get a weapon from the hands of someone who's shocked, scared and surprised?

There are so many ways to greatly lessen the likelihood of attacks:

Run with a partner.
    Run during daylight if at all possible.
    At night, run only in well-lit, populated areas.
    Vary your routine and path from day to day.
    Take your mobile with you.
    Carry a rape horn or whistle.
    Let someone else know when you are leaving and when you should be back.
    Stay aware of your surroundings and don't wear headphones that drown out surrounding noise.
    Don't be afraid to make noise if you feel someone is a threat. Don't worry about embarrassing yourself or the other person if there are doubts--it's way better to be embarrassed than to end up attacked. If someone starts approaching you and you don't feel safe in any way, start shouting stuff like, "Stay away from me. Stop it! Get away!" Basically anything to draw attention to the situation.

If for some horrible reason you are attacked, the best defense is to scream like a banshee. Scream your head off. Kick and punch like a mofo and AS SOON as you can, run like hell to get away. I've taken self-defense courses and this is the basis, really. It's about saving your own life and getting somewhere safe, not making the other person pay.

Honestly, if I were as nervous and scared about running outside as some on this thread, I would invest in a gym or a treadmill. A treadmill costs about as much as a gun. I don't think the stress of working out outside in fear would be worth it to me. But, to each his own.

I can't really judge other people who choose to carry guns or other weapons, I just wouldn't do that. And yes, I'm saying that as someone who has been violently attacked in the past, so please don't try to tell me that my view would change. Nothing's going to prevent every possible attack; I just think non-weapon ways of lessening the chances are a safer option.
  • BrewerGeorge
    Options

Could you post some of your links to this research? Causation based, not correlation, please.
    You have to consider correlation because there can be no control in social sciences historical statics. I can show you that CCW permits have gone up and that violent crime rates have gone down, but I can't prove that the permits caused crime to go down because we can't go back in time and know what would have happened without the increased CCW permits. The best I can do, rigorously, is prove that crime does NOT go up as weapons ownership and concealed carry increased as the naysayers often predict. There is also the fact that states like California and New York which have not relaxed their gun laws have not enjoyed as much decrease in crime as states like Florida which pioneered the current round of shall-issue permit laws.

It's been about 5 years since my thesis, so I don't have a bunch of links handy. Forgive my posting wikipedia and the lack of primary sources, but you can start here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_Guns,_Less_Crime
    http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=206&issue=007
    http://www.nraila.org/issues/factsheets/read.aspx?ID=78
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options

Honestly, if I were as nervous and scared about running outside as some on this thread, I would invest in a gym or a treadmill. A treadmill costs about as much as a gun. I don't think the stress of working out outside in fear would be worth it to me. But, to each his own.

I was totally behind you with this response until you mentioned that people who choose to plan ahead or carry a weapon are living in fear. That is the biggest bull**** "anti-gun" argument out there. I carry a spare tire in my truck, not because live in fear of getting a flat tire, but so I DON'T have a to fear getting a flat tire. Being prepared helps remove the fears. Altering your life to the point you avoid certain areas or run while looking over your shoulder is living in fear.

Again, your brain is the best defense against being a victim. Stop badgering people who choose to use several means of protection. If you don't like it, don't worry about it. I'm no threat to you if I carry a gun.