Protein = fat

Options

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    What ninner said... Also, just an fyi. Spinach has more protein than red meat and zero grams of fat.

And zero nice flavour too :)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Ok, so Protein does NOT equal fat. However, my point is, if you are eating alot more protein to offset some other thing like carbs just be aware that the Meat food Group has more fat then the dairy and carb food groups. So it's important to pay attention to your fat intake. As always talk to a doctor to find out what your body is missing to know the best diet for yourself.

A side note: eating alot of fiber can help reduce the amount of fat your body absorbs.

unless your eating lean proteins...

so i'm not really sure of the point of this entire post, since fats are not bad for you, nor do they make you fat

Great post!! I was thinking the same thing.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Thats just an odd statement to make on this site since it is a calorie tracking website?

And protein powders, chicken breast, lean ground turkey, lean ground beef, turkey breast, lean cuts of steak..... just dripping with fat eh?

When someone says replace carbs with protein that doesn't mean their fat is going to sky rocket
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Did you know my next door neighbor has three rabbits?

I shall sleep better tonight with this valuable information! :)
  • Grokette
    Options
    What ninner said... Also, just an fyi. Spinach has more protein than red meat and zero grams of fat.

You would have to eat A LOT of spinach to even come close to the protein you'd get from a steak.

Thanks Lockef for being the voice of reason........

I can't believe some of the things that are stated as facts on here...............

Does one really think that spinach has more protein than ANY meat? Let alone red meat?
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    A wise MFPer once told me cheeseburger = headphones. I think the same applies here.

Wait, are you saying I shouldn't eat my headphones? Oh man. :grumble:
  • Grokette
    Options
    Thats just an odd statement to make on this site since it is a calorie tracking website?

And protein powders, chicken breast, lean ground turkey, lean ground beef, turkey breast, lean cuts of steak..... just dripping with fat eh?

When someone says replace carbs with protein that doesn't mean their fat is going to sky rocket

I intentionally swapped my fat and carb intake when I changed my lifestyle. Protein intake is about the same..............

I eat upwards of 70% fat (and most of that fat is saturated in the form of animal fats and coconut products), around 20-25% protein and 5-10% carbs. Of course this fluctuates a bit day to day, but it is similar to what I just mentioned for the most part.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options

Did you know the human head weighs 8 pounds?

Did you know that bees and dogs can smell fear?
    Options

You would have to eat A LOT of spinach to even come close to the protein you'd get from a steak.

Thanks Lockef for being the voice of reason........

I can't believe some of the things that are stated as facts on here...............

Does one really think that spinach has more protein than ANY meat? Let alone red meat?

I agree. Just checked the database. 1 cup of spinach = 1g of protein? :huh: Did i miss something here? lol
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Cee134 says
    Sorry for trying to help people. Guess I'll stop. (not really) Since alot of people are being told to sub protein for carbs. In which case their fat intake will go way up, and yes too much fat is bad for you. If you are unaware of this then the suggestions made by other MFP is really bad if your looking for a sub for carbs.

People just research a diet change before you make any changes. As always talk to your doctor first. That's all I care about people knowing.

lol, over 50% of my calories are from FATs. I am tiny and have very low body fat. Your posts are getting too defensive and not making any sense. We need fats. And we need meats. We are not herbivores! Where are you getting your information, and where does MFP say to sub carbs for protein?

The only safe substitutes for protein is Fats if you don't want to spike your insulin response with too many carbs in a meal. Please research your statements and provide full informative resources and examples if you wish for people to be "helped" by your "advice". I'm just trying to be helpful for you, since you seem friendly and well intentioned.
    Options

I intentionally swapped my fat and carb intake when I changed my lifestyle. Protein intake is about the same..............

I eat upwards of 70% fat (and most of that fat is saturated in the form of animal fats and coconut products), around 20-25% protein and 5-10% carbs. Of course this fluctuates a bit day to day, but it is similar to what I just mentioned for the most part.

I always enjoy looking at your diary :D Paleo is interesting :]

Better watch out though, he is warning you *tisk tisk*

I increased my protein and fats too! :D 120-150g of protein and 53g of fat ( im trying xD)
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Where's my baseball.
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    millionsofpeaches:

what? did you really post that? lol. ugggh. :sad:
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options

My world has forever been changed.. thank you kind sir!
    Options
    millionsofpeaches:

what? did you really post that? lol. ugggh. :sad:

Of course! Haven't you ever watched Popeye?!?!?!
  • RunKristaRun
    Options
    fats = 9 calories per gram
    carbs = 7 calories per gram
    proteins = 4 calories per gram

4 does not = 9

Therefore,

fats do not proteins
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

au contraire mon frere - actually the fat group has the most fat. It's that top part of the food pyramid filled with olive oil and butter - you know the one.

I will concede that water is wet, though.

Not when it's frozen. BAM! I just rocked YOUR world.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Show me the money Jerry. Show me the moooooney...

jerry-maguire.gif

Joking aside I think the OP makes a reasonable observation so I don't know what all the **** swinging is about. Ok, in terms of body recomp goals it might not be that important but in health terms you might want to watch your trans fat levels.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    To the extent that you can follow this advice, that is the extent that you will succeed.

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/DietaryGuidelines/2010/PolicyDoc/Chapter2.pdf
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    fats = 9 calories per gram
    carbs = 7 calories per gram
    proteins = 4 calories per gram

4 does not = 9

Therefore,

fats do not proteins

well, biology and organic chemistry is officially still up in the air about fats and proteins;
    fats = 9 to 7 calories per gram
    proteins = 2 to 6
    carbs = 6

because fats and proteins can be disassembled and reassembled for maintence and biochemical processes, not just for energy.

carbs from alcohol can be disassembled and take away from protein in the body. Anyway, who needs science when we now just found out that we can get everything we need from spinach? :tongue: