Is this where it starts? With Disney Princesses?

Options

Replies

• poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Lol sounds like a lot of people are pretty defensive about this. But sorry to say, I know a LOT of mothers who only tell their daughters how precious and pretty they are. its princess princess princess. They do not compliment their daughter's many other great characteristics. Sounds like some of you are one of those. It is all about balance, isnt it?

You're the one calling people ignorant, yet you want to call those who disagree defensive? Hmmm....

Also, what you're talking about here in this post is completely different than what your OP is saying. Besides, just because a parent tells their daughters that they're pretty etc doesn't mean that they don't also compliment their other traits as well.
  • Mrrwmoo
    Mrrwmoo Posts: 44
    Options
    My mommy never called me a princess D;. Or that I was precious .___.;; She told me to not be stupid like all the other kids and do well in school XD.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Don't ever waste your time trying to have an intellectual conversation on MFP forums. Does not compute. I "get off" on discussions about this stuff, but that's because I'm a born nerd. Google "sociological images" and you'll find a safe haven for this kind of thing. Know your limitations.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    While I understand what that picture is saying, I watched (and loved) all of those movies and what's written is a far cry from what I got out of them.
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    What about all the social pressures of the men? :p

6b1ln.jpg

Nice. lol
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    What about Fiona?
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Don't ever waste your time trying to have an intellectual conversation on MFP forums. Does not compute. I "get off" on discussions about this stuff, but that's because I'm a born nerd. Google "sociological images" and you'll find a safe haven for this kind of thing. Know your limitations.

Yeah, all of us posting in this thread must be a bunch of stupid idiots.

I like to debate things too. This debate is just stupid and grasping at straws, along with pointing the blame at the wrong place.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If there was such an "unhealthy obsession with being thin" then North America wouldn't have the most obese people in the world. Please people!
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    thor1god1of1awesome Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    If there was such an "unhealthy obsession with being thin" then North America wouldn't have the most obese people in the world. Please people!
    +1
  • CAlexRose
    CAlexRose Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Lol sounds like a lot of people are pretty defensive about this. But sorry to say, I know a LOT of mothers who only tell their daughters how precious and pretty they are. its princess princess princess. They do not compliment their daughter's many other great characteristics. Sounds like some of you are one of those. It is all about balance, isnt it?

The message I got from your original post was't about "thinness" it was more about the self-worth of young girls/women in general. Waiting for a man to fix all of your problems and make you happy. You're not worth anything unless you have a man by your side.

I guess I missed the skinny reference in the photos and the captions.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options

Yeah, all of us posting in this thread must be a bunch of stupid idiots.

I like to debate things too. This debate is just stupid and grasping at straws, along with pointing the blame at the wrong place.
    You have read into what I've said much too far. You can't possibly engage in a legitimate debate about a topic when you're absolutely unwilling to entertain the other side of the debate for its validity for long enough to dismantle it. Calling it "stupid" is not dismantling, nor is it a debate.
  • ONE03
    ONE03 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

As do I. Thought of her instantly, when I saw the picture. :laugh: She is one quality girl.

There's going to be influences everywhere IMO. Kids have to grow up eventually and think for themselves. I actually thought the Disney movies were boring, when I was a kid.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    What about Fiona?

The lovely Fiona is not a Disney princess. The beauty of Shrek is the fun it pokes at Disney-esk movies.:laugh:
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    How do YOU know the mothers do not acknowledge or compliment their daughter's other traits?
  • skinnnyxoxo
    skinnnyxoxo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Haha, we're talking about this topic in Philosophy class.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    And by the way, I hate that people call them "Disney" princesses. Most of them are characters from European fairy tales from hundreds of years ago.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Meh, I don't get worked up over this. They're cartoons. Cartoons don't look like real people anyway. I LOVE these movies (Little Mermaid was my favorite when I was 4!!! LOL). I dunno, I guess I think people read too far into stuff like this. I never equated Disney princesses to real life when I was little.
    This. Disney is great entertainment and that's what it's for. People who don't buy into the whole "Fairy tale ending" need to vent and this is how they do it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    What about all the social pressures of the men? :p

6b1ln.jpg
    Haha! You just need to be rich and famous. You can be butt ugly and still get pretty women. Prince Charles was proof of that.
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    What about Fiona?

The lovely Fiona is not a Disney princess. The beauty of Shrek is the fun it pokes at Disney-esk movies.:laugh:

I was trying to throw everyone off! lol
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Can't wait for Disney to produce a Prince falling for a Prince fairy tale.............................................