Half Marathon training support group?

Options

Replies

• linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Ran 5 miles yesterday with a 30:08 for my 5k. I'm so darn close to getting under 30 minutes. Oh well....haven't decided if I'm going to run today since I have the Monster Dash 5k tomorrow morning with my 9 yr old son and my girlfriend and her 3 kids. Should be fun!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have run a few half marathons. Last one was this past Sunday. I am always interested in ideas for my running but to also contrbute for everyone's benefit. Can I join this group and how does this all work. Do you just keep looking for this topic and add thoughts when they come ?
    Many thanks
    Saka

Welcome! How did your half on last weekend go? I ran one last weekend too. I have one signed up for in March, but would love one in December if I can find one or in January.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    I will be signing up for my first half marathon soon - it's not until the end of March next year, so lots of time to train (albeit through the winter!!). :smile:

I started Couch to 5K at the end of May this year and am totally hooked on running!
  • sakamanojr
    sakamanojr Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Half on Sunday the 23rd went very well. Training told me I should be able to run close to 11min/miles. So what I did was try to pace myself to 35min/5k. My 4 5k splits were between 34:21 for the 1st one and 33:28 for the last 5k split. I felt smooth and consistent throughout and finished in 2:22. Feel free to add me and send questions for anyone in this group.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I will be signing up for my first half marathon soon - it's not until the end of March next year, so lots of time to train (albeit through the winter!!). :smile:

I started Couch to 5K at the end of May this year and am totally hooked on running!

Running is addictive isn't it! Good luck on your training!!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Half marathon #3 tomorrow!
    Weather - 52 and sunny!

Details to follow. :) Have a great weekend!
  • adhillman01
    Options
    Still having a hard time getting back into a groove with my training. Right now my plans for races have been changing, so I don't really have a definite plan in mind. Last week turned out pretty well. Got in three runs, three days of strength and a rest day. This week was a washout. I didn't wake up early on Tuesday or Thursday for my run. Didn't have the energy Tuesday after work and Thursday I was busy. Really struggling with this new work schedule. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my runs in considering I am not a morning person and usually only get early AM workouts done about 2-3 times per week. I wish I was less of a snooze button pusher! Oh well, it's a work in progress. I have gotten better, but still not where I want to be. Anyways, sounds like everyone's training is going well and congrats to all the racers!
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Half marathon #3 tomorrow!
    Weather - 52 and sunny!

Details to follow. :) Have a great weekend!

Awesome! Good luck and I can't wait to hear how it goes!
    Also, need some pics of you and your hubby in those costumes! Can't wait to see how they turned out!
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Still having a hard time getting back into a groove with my training. Right now my plans for races have been changing, so I don't really have a definite plan in mind. Last week turned out pretty well. Got in three runs, three days of strength and a rest day. This week was a washout. I didn't wake up early on Tuesday or Thursday for my run. Didn't have the energy Tuesday after work and Thursday I was busy. Really struggling with this new work schedule. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my runs in considering I am not a morning person and usually only get early AM workouts done about 2-3 times per week. I wish I was less of a snooze button pusher! Oh well, it's a work in progress. I have gotten better, but still not where I want to be. Anyways, sounds like everyone's training is going well and congrats to all the racers!

I'm having an off week too. Struggled through several of my runs, and just not feeling it at all this week. I've got an 11 miler on Monday, hoping I can shoo this funk away before then!

I heart the snooze button more than chocolate.
  • slb106
    slb106 Posts: 70
    Options
    Oh man...I heart the snooze button as well! I'll snooze until I have about 20 minutes before I need to leave the house :ohwell: Morning workouts would never work for me. Ahhh...the freedom of not having kids yet. I must say, I'm impressed by all of the moms and dads in this thread. It must make it so much harder to find time to run, yet you still get out there! Great job!!

Kimert, good luck tomorrow! Can't wait to see pictures of your costumes!
  • sharonsjones
    Options
    I did my 12 mile run this morning. It went pretty good. Last mile was tough but I made it through. I did it at a 10.26 pace, total time was 2.05. Just two more weeks before my race I'm getting more and more excited. :smile:
  • JonC03
    JonC03 Posts: 28
    Options
    Long run this morning went good. Was cold out only 36 degrees. Did 9.7 miles in a hour and twenty seven minutes. Came out to a 8 minute fifty seven second pace. Longest I have gone so far.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Kimert - can't wait to hear how it went.

WOW JohnC - great run.

You two having an off week, sometimes those really help you refocus the next week. I find my best weeks are after a bad one. We all have them, hang in there!

I'm still doing my intense diet detox and really cutting back. BUT.... I just couldn't not run today. The weather is awesome, and cool, sunny, I knew I was having dinner with friends tonight (not on my diet really) so went for a quick 3.5 mile run. My time was 9:05, very excited over that. I know I can do a 9 mpm 5k if I want to.. Yeah!

My boss bought a treadmill today I can use on my lunch hour - I'm not a huge treadmill fan, but this will at least help me get through winter.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    PR'd my half marathon today.
    2:19:43 official finish time.

I plan to write a full race recap (on my personal blog) so if anyone is interested in that send me a msg in my inbox.
    The race went really well. The day was interesting. I have all kinds of details to share. I am tired and worn out given the late start and 4 hour round trip travel time.

hope everyone that ran today ran well! Good luck to those running tomorrow.
  • linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Kimert- Congrats on your PR and awesome time! Can't wait to hear about it. and to all of those who rocked their long runs this weekend. I did my 5k Monster Dash yesterday with my 9 yr old son. AWESOME! I dressed up as a cop and I was chasing my prisoner son! lol
    It was really fun. No chip time, ran along the lakefront in downtown Chicago it was beautiful out! We finished under 37 minutes.

Happy Sunday everyone!
  • slb106
    slb106 Posts: 70
    Options
    Great long runs JonC and Sharon!! Way to go!

Congrats on the awesome PR Kimert!!

Linnea, what a great costume idea for you and your son!! I'm glad you had fun!

Had my long run this morning. 10.7 miles in 1:52:12. I'm happy with that considering it is the coldest temperature I have ever run in and it was very windy thanks to the freak snow storm we got yesterday!
  • wackynunu
    wackynunu Posts: 103
    Options
    Great Job Everyone. I am considering doing my long run tomorrow night instead of Thursday AM. I know I will be able to 8 miles at night no problem. I am thinking of making my Thursday run a 4 or 5 miler. My body just hates AM runs. My arms get clammy and even with a good cool down I feel dizzy when I stop.
  • sharonsjones
    Options
    Great long runs JonC and Sharon!! Way to go!

Congrats on the awesome PR Kimert!!

Linnea, what a great costume idea for you and your son!! I'm glad you had fun!

Had my long run this morning. 10.7 miles in 1:52:12. I'm happy with that considering it is the coldest temperature I have ever run in and it was very windy thanks to the freak snow storm we got yesterday!

Thanks! You had a good long too. Awesome!
  • sharonsjones
    Options
    I registered yesterda for the race so I am even more excited and nerous than I was before. OMG! I think I'm going to drive my husband and co-workers crazy!
  • sharonsjones
    Options
    I registered yesterda for the race so I am even more excited and nerous than I was before. OMG! I think I'm going to drive my husband and co-workers crazy!

I'm so excited I guess I can't spell anymore either! LOL