Motivated Momma's Week 7 (closed)

Options
On behalf of Karie and this week's contributors here is your week 7 challenge!

Cardio: Due to it's success we are keeping Renu's challenge from last week going. Here it is again for conveinence sake.
Possible 12 points + Bonus miles in Part 1
Created by Renu

Part 1- Time for walking.. Walking is the best exercise for staying fit and healthy, be it Leslie Sansone's walk at home, a leisurely walk with your kids, brisk walking to gear up the metabolism or walking on treadmill. Set a goal for yourself this week in terms of miles to be covered, say 10 miles in one week.. If you are an running/jogging expert, feel free to include that as well.. Lets walk away those pounds this week.. You meet your goal and earn 5 points and one extra point for each mile exceeded. (Suppose your goal is 10 and you covered 12 miles, you earn 2 extra points)

Part 2- Interval training. Introduce intervals in your walking or workout for 3 days this week. Suppose you are walking on a treadmill, change your walking phase from 3 to 3.5 for a mins, include the incline, etc..Intensity is measured in a scale of 1 to 10. Eg, 1 = standing still, 5=jogging, 10=running..Mix and match walking and running.. This will boost your metabolism as well..
Points-3

Part 3- Logging the details in the spreadsheet for 4 days
Points-4

Strength
Created by Amy
6 points plus 3 Bonus points for a total of 9 points

Monday: Glute Kicks (do 2 sets of 12 on each leg)
~Facing a chair, bend at your waist & place your hands flat down near the edge of the seat. Kick your left leg straight back, keeping your foot flexed so it forms a straight line with your torso. Lower leg back down & repeat. Be sure to squeeze your glutes & leg muscles during the kicks.

Tuesday: Hip & Thigh Trimmer (do 2 sets of 12 on each side)
~Stand behind a chair, resting your hands lightly on the back. Bend your right leg & turn it out slightly so that your knee is pointing toward the ground. Lift your leg a few inches, keeping your upper body straight & facing forward. Focus on using al your thigh muscles. Lower your leg.

Wednesday: Leg Toner (hold for 30 seconds & repeat twice)
~Stand behind a chair, hands resting on the back. Bend your knees and lift your heels off the ground so that you are balancing on the balls of your feet. Hold for 30 seconds and then lower heels.

Thursday: Triceps Dip (do one set of 10)
~Sit on the edge of a chair with your feet on the ground, hands next to thighs, palms flat on the edge of the seat. Move forward so that your lower back is barely touching the edge of the chair & your legs form a 90 degree angle. Bend your arms & lower down a few inches so that your elbows form a 90 degree angle. Come up and repeat.

Friday: Ab & Butt Lift (do 2 sets of 12)
~Lie down on the floor with your knees bent, feet flat on the floor. Lift your pelvis and heels off the ground, keeping your torso and upper thighs straight. Hold for 2 seconds, squeezing your abs and buttocks. Lower down and repeat.

Weekend: Full Body Stretch
~Stand with your left side facing a chair back and your left hand resting on it. Bring your heels together and point your toes out so your feet form a V. Slowly bend over and reach your right hand to the ground, letting your head hang. Lift up slowly from your waist, keeping your back and right arm straight. Keep lifting until you're bending back slightly, reaching your right arm behind you. Look up at the ceiling & hold for 5 seconds. Slowly bend down and repeat the sequence 5 times, taking deep breaths as you go.

3 Bonus Points: Do all above exercises in sequence for 3 of the days (in addition to the exercise for the day)

Food challenge
10 points + 3 bonus for recipe submission
Created by Renu
No junk food challenge for this week. At least for 5 days this week, do not eat any of the junk foods and the list goes here.

No cookies, pastries, cakes, donuts, muffins
No chocolate
No white bread
No fast food
No peanut butter or other such spreads
No chips
No candy (I know most of us have lots at home)
No ice cream/ice cream substitutes (gelato, sherbert, fro-yo)
No soda (including diet/zero/max whatever versions!)
Whatever your secret craving is that you have no control over, even if it's not on this list, it counts as something to conquer and avoid! Maybe that's somethnig healthy - like almonds. Totally fine in moderation, not so good if you eat 10 times the recommended serving amount! :tongue: Let's be strong and conquer our "crutch foods" together ladies!

Of these 5 days, one day is going to be a weekend (either a saturday or sunday, any one of them). You get 5 points if you successfully avoid these on 5 days.

Plus, your meals has to be 5 meals a day , this means no skipping breakfast, snack, lunch or dinner. So you get 5 additional points on this one.

Total 10 points.

Since its going to be a healthy week, post your favorite soup recipe which earns you an extra 3 points (bonus)

Emotional
Created by Lynda
1 point
What does food mean to you? Comfort, security, distress, anxiety, happiness, fuel, control. When you think "food" what comes to mind? Has your thoughts about food changed since starting your weight loss journey?

Replies

• renubhat_82
    renubhat_82 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I am not very clear on the bonus points challenge on strength, is it that we have to do it 3 days in a row or 3 exercises in one day?

oops, I am so dumb sometimes..lol

confused.. :-(
  • losinit_4_good
    losinit_4_good Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I am not very clear on the bonus points challenge on strength, is it that we have to do it 3 days in a row or 3 exercises in one day?

Totally legit question!

My understanding of the challenge is that you complete each daily exercise for 1 point/day =6 points total.

In order to earn the bonus points you complete the entire roster of exercises (all 6 moves) on 3 seperate days. So basically, you do the "move of the day" plus all other moves for 3 days out of the week. Each complete workout gets you a bonus point up to a maximum of 3 points.

Does that help? Amy, if I got that wrong can you please clarify? Thanks!
  • renubhat_82
    Options

Totally legit question!

My understanding of the challenge is that you complete each daily exercise for 1 point/day =6 points total.

In order to earn the bonus points you complete the entire roster of exercises (all 6 moves) on 3 seperate days. So basically, you do the "move of the day" plus all other moves for 3 days out of the week. Each complete workout gets you a bonus point up to a maximum of 3 points.

Does that help? Amy, if I got that wrong can you please clarify? Thanks!

Thanks Lynda.. :-) Got it now..
  • LoveNevrNds
    LoveNevrNds Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Looks like another great week!
  • daisyelaine
    daisyelaine Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    NO PEANUT BUTTER?!??! Holy Granoly. Everything else on the list is fine.. but that one may just kill me. Heck, I've already had it today!!

Crap.
  • losinit_4_good
    Options
    NO PEANUT BUTTER?!??! Holy Granoly. Everything else on the list is fine.. but that one may just kill me. Heck, I've already had it today!!

Crap.

I think the nature of the challenge is to take control over those things that may be a downfall. For me that would be the "peanut butter like spread" that is nutella. That $#@^ is the devil for me so I no longer even keep it in the house because I know a moment of weakness will turn into heaping spoonful after heaping spoonful into my mouth (granted, I use one of my son's baby spoons so I don't feel so bad but still, 5 heaping baby spoonfuls is a LOT of nutella! :laugh: ) This is why I added the note to Renu's original challenge about this being about controlling our "crutch" foods...

So maybe I'll turn it over to Renu on this one since she was the creator of this challenge: is PB/PB like spreads ok if the eater is in control of the food/craving? Maybe PB/almod butter are ok if they are the all natural versions as opposed to the sugar filled ones? Or is it straight up on the naughty list? :tongue:
  • daisyelaine
    Options

Crap.

I think the nature of the challenge is to take control over those things that may be a downfall. For me that would be the "peanut butter like spread" that is nutella. That $#@^ is the devil for me so I no longer even keep it in the house because I know a moment of weakness will turn into heaping spoonful after heaping spoonful into my mouth (granted, I use one of my son's baby spoons so I don't feel so bad but still, 5 heaping baby spoonfuls is a LOT of nutella! :laugh: ) This is why I added the note to Renu's original challenge about this being about controlling our "crutch" foods...

So maybe I'll turn it over to Renu on this one since she was the creator of this challenge: is PB/PB like spreads ok if the eater is in control of the food/craving? Maybe PB/almod butter are ok if they are the all natural versions as opposed to the sugar filled ones? Or is it straight up on the naughty list? :tongue:

I was just thinking-- if I've already had it today, then I won't get the point for today... Hmmm.. PEANUT BUTTER DAY!!! That may turn it into a crutch food!! Lol.. I think I'll survive the week though.. I may just have to get creative.

Also-- I know the nutella thing too! Of course, once when we were on a kick, hubby went to Costco and picked up 2 large containers of it.. and they're still downstairs in the storage room. It taunts me every time I go down there. Not that you need to hear this, but the BEST way to have it is Nutella and peanut butter together on toast-- the warmth melts it just a little so they mix wondefully... Mmmm. Or, Nutella spread VERY thinly on Ryvita. A little chocolate, with some crunch and hardly any calories.

** Just checked the Kraft stuff I have-- 1 Tbsp only has 1 g Sugar and 4g Carbs. As it's the only kind we buy, I have no comparison to other brands-- is that comparable to other brands?
  • renubhat_82
    Options

Crap.

I am so so sorry for this one.. But even I crave for PB..lol.. Well, in that case, we can have limted amount of PB, say 1 or 2 tbsp per day.. What do you say? Yes I know, natural versions are ok but only unto a limit, so I thought may be we set it like 2 tbsp per day..?
  • renubhat_82
    Options

Crap.

I was just thinking-- if I've already had it today, then I won't get the point for today... Hmmm.. PEANUT BUTTER DAY!!! That may turn it into a crutch food!! Lol.. I think I'll survive the week though.. I may just have to get creative.

Also-- I know the nutella thing too! Of course, once when we were on a kick, hubby went to Costco and picked up 2 large containers of it.. and they're still downstairs in the storage room. It taunts me every time I go down there. Not that you need to hear this, but the BEST way to have it is Nutella and peanut butter together on toast-- the warmth melts it just a little so they mix wondefully... Mmmm. Or, Nutella spread VERY thinly on Ryvita. A little chocolate, with some crunch and hardly any calories.

** Just checked the Kraft stuff I have-- 1 Tbsp only has 1 g Sugar and 4g Carbs. As it's the only kind we buy, I have no comparison to other brands-- is that comparable to other brands?

I checked mine..in 1 tbsp its like 2g sugar and carb- 7.5..
  • renubhat_82
    Options
    ok, I want to leave it the group for the PB, I am okay with anything...
  • daisyelaine
    Options

Crap.

I am so so sorry for this one.. But even I crave for PB..lol.. Well, in that case, we can have limted amount of PB, say 1 or 2 tbsp per day.. What do you say? Yes I know, natural versions are ok but only unto a limit, so I thought may be we set it like 2 tbsp per day..?

That totally works for me-- I usually try to limit it to that anyway. It's often with a banana as a post-workout snack, or thinly spread on bread. I'm thinking I'm going to try to go whole hog though! ( with the limiting, not the overindulging on my 2 days..) And don't be sorry-- It's an awesome challenge!!
  • losinit_4_good
    Options

nutella AND peanut butter?!?! is it weird that turns me on a bit? :wink:

The nutella thing started for me as a really awesome way to avoid the sugar crashes I was experienceing in June/July when I first started this journey. Because I was used to highly procvessed, overly sugared foods and beveredges I was really having trouble staying away. So I introduced a slice of whole grain toast with a Tblspn of nutella into my daily routine and I got through it. It wasn't until work related stresses started dogging me this fall that suddebly nutella became the enemy for me! lol! because my hubby and I don't keep "sweets" in the house I'd come home and have nothing to help eat my anxiety. then I remembered the jar of spread in the back of my pantry and polished it off over the course of 2 ish days? so I said "never again!" adn then like a week later bought another jar that lasted less than 2 weeks. so I told my hubby that no matter what we are never buying it again! lol! no self control with that stuff!
  • losinit_4_good
    Options

no need to apologize Renu! It's an AWESOME challenge! I think it's really gonna make us all aware of those secret little cravings we have and go a long way to helping us all curb them. :flowerforyou:
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Lynda, you are correct on the bonus point for the strength part of the challenge :)

And Renu, I don't think there's one day this week that I'm going to get a point for the food challenge. I eat almost everything on your list. Quick question, though, would homemade waffles and pancakes be considered a pastry? I'm cool if it is, just wanted to check. I had a banana oatmeal waffle for breakfast, so wasn't sure if this would disqualify me for the day (and every other day since it's what I usually eat).
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    On behalf of Karie and this week's contributors here is your week 7 challenge!

Cardio: Due to it's success we are keeping Renu's challenge from last week going. Here it is again for conveinence sake.
    Possible 12 points + Bonus miles in Part 1
    Created by Renu

Part 1(5pts)- My goal for this week is 15 again because I dont want to set an unachievable goal(3/15done)

Part 2- Interval training (1/3pts)

Part 3- Logging (1/4pts)

Strength (1/6pts)
    Created by Amy
    6 points plus 3 Bonus points for a total of 9 points

Monday: Glute Kicks (do 2 sets of 12 on each leg)(done)

Tuesday: Hip & Thigh Trimmer (do 2 sets of 12 on each side)
    ~Stand behind a chair, resting your hands lightly on the back. Bend your right leg & turn it out slightly so that your knee is pointing toward the ground. Lift your leg a few inches, keeping your upper body straight & facing forward. Focus on using al your thigh muscles. Lower your leg.

Wednesday: Leg Toner (hold for 30 seconds & repeat twice)
    ~Stand behind a chair, hands resting on the back. Bend your knees and lift your heels off the ground so that you are balancing on the balls of your feet. Hold for 30 seconds and then lower heels.

Thursday: Triceps Dip (do one set of 10)
    ~Sit on the edge of a chair with your feet on the ground, hands next to thighs, palms flat on the edge of the seat. Move forward so that your lower back is barely touching the edge of the chair & your legs form a 90 degree angle. Bend your arms & lower down a few inches so that your elbows form a 90 degree angle. Come up and repeat.

Friday: Ab & Butt Lift (do 2 sets of 12)
    ~Lie down on the floor with your knees bent, feet flat on the floor. Lift your pelvis and heels off the ground, keeping your torso and upper thighs straight. Hold for 2 seconds, squeezing your abs and buttocks. Lower down and repeat.

Weekend: Full Body Stretch
    ~Stand with your left side facing a chair back and your left hand resting on it. Bring your heels together and point your toes out so your feet form a V. Slowly bend over and reach your right hand to the ground, letting your head hang. Lift up slowly from your waist, keeping your back and right arm straight. Keep lifting until you're bending back slightly, reaching your right arm behind you. Look up at the ceiling & hold for 5 seconds. Slowly bend down and repeat the sequence 5 times, taking deep breaths as you go.

3 Bonus Points: Do all above exercises in sequence for 3 of the days (in addition to the exercise for the day)

Food challenge
    10 points + 3 bonus for recipe submission
    Created by Renu
    No junk food challenge for this week. At least for 5 days this week, do not eat any of the junk foods and the list goes here. Plus, your meals has to be 5 meals a day , this means no skipping breakfast, snack, lunch or dinner. So you get 5 additional points on this one.

Total 10 points. (2/10)

Since its going to be a healthy week, post your favorite soup recipe which earns you an extra 3 points (bonus) (done)

Emotional
    Created by Lynda
    1 point
    What does food mean to you? Comfort, security, distress, anxiety, happiness, fuel, control. When you think "food" what comes to mind? Has your thoughts about food changed since starting your weight loss journey?

8 pts today for logging, intervals, strength, food, and the recipe Im about to post.
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Ok here's a soup recipe..that I have been tweaking for over 2 years now, Its sort of my guilty pleasure go to comfort food, but honestly when I plugged all the ingredients in, it wasnt THAT bad. So here you go, and as usuall certain things can be substituted for others and/or added to this recipe to make it your own, this is just the closest thing to my grandmas potato soup I could ever find.

2 lbs johnsonville italian sausage(one mild/one spicy) Turkey sausage would be awesome here too
    1-2lbs idaho potatoes(about 7 or 8)
    1 box of low sodium chicken stock(I use aldis fit n active)
    1 carton of half and half(this is the guilty pleasure part, feel free to use skim or 2%)
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 large onion
    3-5 cloves of garlic(depends on the size of cloves and your love of garlic...mine knows no boundaries)
    3 tbsp of flour

Prep: Chop onions and garlic and set aside. Cut potatoes into bite sized pieces. In a large stock pot pour entire box of chicken stock(about 3-4 cups) and another 3 cups of water. Add potatoes and cook until fork tender. The stock and water should cover the potatoes, if you need more water add more. In a large skillet add olive, onions and garlic. Sautee until tender, be sure not to burn the garlic or the entire soup will be bitter. Add sausage to the pan with onions and garlic. Once the sausage is browned add in the flour and stir it up. Let the flour taste cook out for about 2 or 3 minutes, then pour in milk and let it thicken up. It will probably be more like a paste, this is a good thing. When your potatoes are done, slowly stir in spoonfulls of the sausage/milk mixture continue to stir so that your soup is smooth. Let it cook for another 10-15 minutes so that everything is thick and creamy. This serves about 10 people, I make it and freeze half of it. Servings are about 1-2 cups.
    Nut. Value- Calories-458, carbs-33, fat-28, sodium-984, protein-19.
    Like I said, this isnt just super healthy, but things can be tweaked to make it healthier, but this is my go to when Im really wanting comfort food. The sodium is through the roof(as with most soups) but with turkey sausage im sure that would change.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Another question: What are your all's 5 meals for the day? 3 meals and 2 snacks a day? Does it matter which 2 snacks they are? I normally do an afternoon and an evening snack....but I'm not sure what to snack on now....hmmmm....
  • renubhat_82
    Options
    Another question: What are your all's 5 meals for the day? 3 meals and 2 snacks a day? Does it matter which 2 snacks they are? I normally do an afternoon and an evening snack....but I'm not sure what to snack on now....hmmmm....

Yeah 5 meals a day is inclusive of your snacks.. morning breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, evening snack and dinner.. It can be in any order though.. I just gave an example here..Here snacks shouldnt be junk foods, snack on fruits, almonds or something healthy or even have a healthy soup.. Even I am thinking what to have for snacks bcuz even i snack on junk foods sometimes.. so today for morning snack, I had an apple, evening snack would be my protein shake.. I am sure, if we think over it, we will become more innovative and get some good ideas and do not forget to share those wonderful inventions on snacks.. :-)
  • renubhat_82
    Options
    Lynda, you are correct on the bonus point for the strength part of the challenge :)

And Renu, I don't think there's one day this week that I'm going to get a point for the food challenge. I eat almost everything on your list. Quick question, though, would homemade waffles and pancakes be considered a pastry? I'm cool if it is, just wanted to check. I had a banana oatmeal waffle for breakfast, so wasn't sure if this would disqualify me for the day (and every other day since it's what I usually eat).

I would leave it to you because it depends on the ingredients you put into it.. I am not so sure on what goes into waffles as I mostly have Indian food.. For pancakes- there are many varieties, what kind of pancakes do you usually make? Is it the one with all purpose flour- then yes it would be junk? we also make pancakes with whole wheat flour in India which is healthy.. So when you are confused on whether it is junk or not, consider the ingredients and the method in which it is cooked..

Just made a search on waffles like what goes into it, all other ingredients are healthy except the flour- do you use whole wheat or white flour?
  • rapitup
    rapitup Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness this weeks challenge is going to be something for me I am going to do my best everyone please say a very special prayer I'm so stuck on all the junk foods especially candy:bigsmile: but I know I can do it must take 1 day at a time!!! Thanks Renu for this one still excited:flowerforyou: :happy: