40+ Workout Challenge (October)

Options

Replies

• fitnfun1
    fitnfun1 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Day 2 of pushing it! I went back to an oldie but a goodie DVD - Kathy Smith's Rules of Fat Burning. I did 20 minutes of cardio, old school combo aerobics, and then 40 min of ST (20 upper/20 lower). I am head to toe worked out. I did a little bit of cleaning and shopping too.

I did a day of my diary to make sure I am keeping on track. I'm still missing one snack, and I need to up my protein, so I need low calorie protein ideas for that snack. Any ideas?

I hope you did well today!
  • mspix
    mspix Posts: 153
    Options
    Hi all! Sorry I have been MIA, it has been a weird few days.

Fitn, glad to see you are pushing it! That bike ride sounds like it was a killer! Wow! Nice workout today, too. RE: Protein-mozzerella cheese sticks, almonds or pistachios, yogurt (greek is great for high protein/low calorie), deli meat like turkey is something I keep on hand, as well. I like to roll a slice of turkey and a piece of swiss (the thin sliced, runs about 60 calories) together for a fast, filling snack.

Today I got the 40 min TJ in, missed the 20 minute ST due to people in my space. Changing schedules is going to wreak havoc on my morning workout, but I will figure it out.

What is everyone else up to?

PS: Fitn, you mentioned a challenge for next month using a combo of TJ and HHA...I would be interested in hearing what you have in mind!
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    I did Cardio Party 1 TJ and just noticed it really is a 43 min. workout. I love this workout! The time really flew by!

Tonight I'm going to do some yoga or stretching. My body is still sore from the major ST I did yesterday. 20 min. of Yoga sounds good about now.

Mspix - You do what you can. Weirdness happens. As long as you get some kind of workout in, you are ahead of most people.

Sherrill - What's up?

Gigi - Are things getting back to normal for you?

For next month, I'm trying to think of a different challenge for us. Not everyone has TJ or the Hip Hop Abs. If we all enjoy kickboxing and aerobics, we could generalize this challenge and everyone can use their own version of what they have. I'm thinking adding some yoga/pilates would be a nice change too.

What about:
    Kickboxing 2 days a week - 40 minutes with 20 minutes yoga
    Aerobics 2 days a week (any kind) - 30 minutes with 30 minutes of Strength Training
    Other activity 2 days a week - 40 minutes with 20 minutes of Pilates
    One day off
    6 small meals

It would still be 60 min/day with 2 days of ST but adding yoga and Pilates into the mix. If you do not like Pilates, you can either do more yoga or add a different mind/body like Tai Chi or something similar.

This is just a suggestion, and I would love to hear your thoughts. All I know is that in your 40's you have to keep your body guessing and have elements of cardio, ST, and mind/body.

:happy:
  • sherrillg
    sherrillg Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    wk 3
    Sat - 180mins - housecleaning - moving boxes(bodymedia counted 35mins of "vigorous" activity)
    Sun - 15mins JOGGING (yes, really JOGGING); 15min brisk walking; ST: 20 mins Kettlebell!!!! ; 2 hours of mall walking
    Mon - 31 mins - Jogging/fast walking intervals
    Tues- 37 mins - jogging/fast walking intervals; ST: 30 mins weight machines; 15 mins stretching
    Wed - 22 mins - JOGGING
    Thur- Rest day - last Synvisc injections :-)
    Fri - 60 mins - Walking

wk 4
    Sat - 10mins - Jacob's Ladder 30mins - Wii Step; ST: 30mins weight machines
    Sun - 30 mins - AMT; 3 hours - walking Seattle pushing stroller
    Mon - ST: 30 mins - weight machines
    Tue - 60 mins - jogging/fast walking intervals pushing double stroller

I've upped my calories the past week and been working on HEAVY strength training and amazingly...finally broke away from my dearest friend "plateau"! :happy: Hoping to keep this going now!

Everyone is doing so well!!!
  • mspix
    Options
    Sherrill: Wow! Way to go! Congrats on busting ye old plateau! :drinker:

Fitn: I like your thoughts on the challenge for next month. The last two challenges have really gotten me to focus on the ST part of working out, and I am starting to see the results of that. Adding dedicated Yoga or some other type of mind/body/stretching is another piece that I really need to make room for. Count me in!

Wk 4 update:

Monday: 40 Min TJ Cardio Mix 2
    Tuesday: 20 min TJ + 40 min T Sculpt
    Wednesday: 40 Min TJ + 20 TJ Ab Jam
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    Yay! You like the challenge suggestion! I think the mind/body element will be the last piece of the puzzle.

Today I did 30 min. of rowing and 30 min of ST with my kettlebell. Not bad, but didn't burn as many calories as I wanted. Tomorrow I will look for a bigger calorie burn.

Sherrill, you are doing so well. Your mixing it up is doing you wonders! Maybe we need to add interval training in since it seems to be working for you.

Gigi - hope you are still doing your things.
    Mspix - You definitely like TJ as much as I do. I'm going to bring it next month with the kickboxing.

I'm finding I feel a little more energetic since I have been on my supplements consistently. I am taking a multi, a vitamin D, vitamin B complex, and Maca Root. I might add others if needed, but these have been my staples for the last week and I'm surprised at how much more energy I feel. I've also been drinking more Yerba Matte tea and occasionally have been taking green tea tablets/tea. I don't think I am losing the weight still, but maybe this is the first shift that needed to happen.
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this challenge but can't possible fit in 60 minutes 6 days a week. Work 12 hour nights with a 2 hour commute. Only have time to sleep(barely) on the 3 days I work a week. Can do 60-90 minutes 3-4 days a week. Also can't do cardio 2 days out of the month due to girl issues. Hope I can still be a part of this. I am finding wt loss much harder in my 40s than previously.
  • mspix
    Options
    Hi Keran, welcome aboard!

Managed to mish mash 60 minutes this morning with a 20 min Turbo, 30 minute Muffin Top Meltdown (LMAO!) and 10 minutes of moderate Yoga-ish stretching. I am warming up for the November challenge, lol.
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    Hi Keran,

Welcome! Do what you can, and we understand that one-size does not fill all. It sounds like your schedule is really jam packed so whatever time you can devote to working out is to be commended!

I have the same issues with cardio during the month too. I tend to do yoga or strength training on those days. Our Novemeber Challenge sounds like it will be more up your alley.

Sherill - Awesome job! I love hearing when people break plateaus. I'm hoping mine is around the corner with these changes.

Mspix - Can you explain the Muffin Top Meltdown again? :laugh: I certainly could use some muffin meltdown. LOL!

For me, I had a bad two days due to my schedule. So, one day was my day off, and one day was a missed day. Today I did 20 min. kettlebell to start, and I will do some extra cardio later in the day. Maybe I will row tonight as well to make up for the missed day.

The good news is my fiance did the laundry for me, so I do have some extra time for working out! It's amazing when out of the blue he offers to do something. He said he was watching football most of the day anyway. I found out he actually folds a little better than me. Hahaha! Wish he would do the laundry more often. :bigsmile:

This week I am going to phase in the November challenge. I'll post my week plans soon. I seem to do better when I have a week planned in place. I can stray, but the planning does make it more solid. Maybe that is why I strayed a bit this week? No plan. :ohwell:

Have a great rest of your weekend, and good to see you all doing so well!
    I too added some yoga this week to get ready for November's Challenge.
  • sherrillg
    sherrillg Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    wk 4
    Sat - 10mins - Jacob's Ladder 30mins - Wii Step; ST: 30mins weight machines
    Sun - 30 mins - AMT; 3 hours - walking Seattle pushing stroller
    Mon - ST: 30 mins - weight machines
    Tue - 60 mins - jogging/fast walking intervals pushing double stroller
    Wed - REST
    Thur - ST: 30mins - weight machines; 15min-running, 60mins - walking, 8mins-hulahoop
    Fri -ST: 30mins - weight machines; 27min - jogging/fast walking intervals, 25mins- stationary bike

Wk 5
    Sat - 27min - jogging/fast walking intervals, 10mins - Jacobs Ladder
    Sun - ST: 30mins - weight machines; 15mins - Jacobs Ladder, 15mins - AMT

Down 1 lb this past week. it feels GOOD to finally have movement!
  • guessgigi
    guessgigi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! So sorry I have not been posting. I have excuses but don't want to bore you with them. I've gotten a little off track this week but hope to have a much better November. I'm not going to lie, this is a real challenge for me to stay focused with life and all it's surprises and curve balls. Then I get the courage to log in and start reading your posts and suddenly I'm encouraged to try again. Thanks to you girls for this!! I promise not to be perfect, but I will do my best!! So proud of u girls too!!
  • mspix
    Options
    So glad to see everyone reaching, or reaching for, their goals!

Sherril, congrats on the loss, so exciting when a plateau is broken! I finally had one of those, too :)

Gigi, keep striving toward your goal and you will eventually get there. For me, making an adjustment to a slower rate of weight loss really made the difference in how I viewed the overall journey.

Fitn, looking forward to the November challenge. I really appreciate that you do this, it has been very beneficial to me :) Thank you! The Muffin Top Meltdown is 3 10 minute workouts that incorporate squats, lunges, kettlebell, step. It is very basic, but very effective. I picked it up for $3 at WalMart. I have to modify it a bit as I don't have a step, but that doesn't stop the sweat, lol!

End cap:

Monday: 40 Min TJ Cardio Mix 2
    Tuesday: 20 min TJ + 40 min T Sculpt
    Wednesday: 40 Min TJ + 20 TJ Ab Jam
    Thursday: 20 min TJ + 30 Circuit (muffin melt down)+ 10 minute stretching
    Friday: 40 min TJ cardio 2 + 5 min hula hoop + 5 min stretching
    Sat: 120 min major yard work, lots of bending/twisting/lifting
    Sun: 90 min of more yard work

Mon: 40 min TJ
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    Sherrill - Congratulations! That is so great! I too have had some success this week. I am back into my skinny current size jeans which I couldn't get into the last 2 weeks. I don't think the scale budged much, but I must have lost a few inches or something.

mspix - great end cap! Lots of fantastic TJ.

So, I messed up and put October in our topic. We can either move to a new thread so I can update without the month or simply stay here and invite others to join our "secret" club. Let me know so I can do whatever tomorrow.

The November Challenge is as follows - and do the best you can with what you have:

Kickboxing 2 days a week - 40 minutes with 20 minutes Yoga/Pilates/Tai Chi
    Aerobics 2 days a week (any kind) - 30 minutes with 30 minutes of Strength Training
    Other activity 2 days a week - 40 minutes with 20 minutes of Yoga/Pilates/Tai Chi
    One day off
    6 small meals

This is still 60 min/day with 2 days of ST but adding Yoga, Pilates or Tai Chi (or something similar) into the mix.
    *************************************************************************************************************************

Lastly - here is my week so far:

Sunday - 20 min Kettlebell
    Monday - 20 min. bouncing/20 min. Kettlebell/20 min. rowing
    November 1: Tuesday - 20 min. bouncing/20 min. Kettlebell/30 min. TJ/15 Yoga

Happy November!
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    I have been reading a Tony Robbins book. It seemed to find me, the Ultimate Power. This is his first book. Anyway, there are some good things in here. For health, he talked about how many of us do not breathe enough, and we are tired due to not getting enough oxygen. He recommends this breathing regime:

3 x per day 10 cleansing breaths: Breathe in 2 counts, hold for 4 counts, and breathe out 6 counts. You can do whatever counts you like, but make sure you are holding twice as many and breathing out 3 times as many counts. So if only 1 count in, it would be 2 counts hold and 3 counts breathe out. I hope this makes sense. This breathing 10 sets 3 x a day is supposed to help you gain energy throughout the day.

Another thing he brought up is food combining. I may not be able to follow this to a tee, but he mentions that starches and proteins should not be combined. Our digestive systems can't handle it and it makes us feel sluggish and gassy. Fruits should be eaten mainly by themselves to for the same reason. He suggests combining protein and low carbs like veggies and then starches with veggies. I do recall that when I eat a simple meal of protein and veggies like chicken and green beans, I do feel the best. I have to see if brown rice is acceptable, but I see his point with regular flour pastas.

He goes as far as to promote being vegetarian. I'm not there yet. I also eat my yogurt with fruit which in his book is a no-no. He believes we get too much protein and animal proteins are tough for us to break down. Cows have special milk for cows and it is different than human milk, etc.

I think I need to take this with a grain of salt. He did confirm that the smaller meals are the way to go and to drink enough water to stay hydrated, but not to go overboard.

Anyway, it is interesting to see all the opinions out there. There are so many different suggestions. I believe it is best to find what is right for each of us since we are all unique individuals!
  • mspix
    Options
    Fitn, congrats on the skinny jean success!

As far as staying here or starting a new thread, I am easy (though not cheap, as the hubby reminds me, lol), so whatever works for you and all is good for me!

Tony Robbins is an interesting person, I have read some of him many years ago. I agree with you that there are as many 'right' ways as there are individuals.

Wendy Ida is my latest interest. I tripped over her on Facebook, she just published a book specifically for women over 40 which I ordered from Amazon. I am looking forward to getting it!

Happy November, everyone, here is to a great month!
  • guessgigi
    Options
    Hi Girls! Excited about November. I was able to wake up early this morning and get my Turbo Jam Cardio Party in 40 min. Wow this is only my 2nd time doing this workout at I love it. I thought it was going to be too hard but it was just right. I did low impact version but sweat I did. lol I need to get a pilates video tomorrow at Walmart or Target? Any suggestions?

FitNFun- I appreciate those tips from Tony Robbins. The breathing excersize sounds great, especially since I always seem to be tired. :yawn: I agree with all of what he mentioned and like you I'm not ready to become vegetarian just yet. One step at a time.

Mspix- Let me know how that book by Wendy is. I"m always interested in healthy tips especailly for over 40 girls. :happy:

Sherrill - I know breaking away from friends is hard but I'm sure you know your relationship with plateau was not healthy. lol Good job on moving on. :wink:

Have a good rest everyone!!
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    Today will have to be my day off. I had so much work and a board meeting tonight so no workout. I will do a few minutes of yoga so I'm not doing nothing. It will be good to stretch after the tough workouts I have had already. Tomorrow I will start early!

Gigi - I didn't know you were doing TJ as well. Awesome! Cardio Party 1 is my fave!

mspix - I'll have to look at the website to see if I like Wendy. She seems pretty cool so far.

Sherrill - Keep at it! What you are doing is working!

I hope some of the new girls chime in too.
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    By the way, I decided we might as well stay here, but I posted an invitation if anyone else wants to join us.
  • guessgigi
    Options
    Hello Everyone! Good Job FitnFun on Yoga! Yes my first time using turbo jam was this past Monday and I was afraid it was going to be too hard and not fun. I have a hard time with Jillian Michaels I have a few of her DVDs and I feel like I really working so hard,:sad: but with Turbo Jam it's actually kind of fun, so I know I'll stick with it. :bigsmile:

How's everyone else today?
  • mspix
    Options
    Gigi: I am glad you are enjoying TJ, it is the absolute best workout I have ever found! The fun factor is so important for me to stay engaged :)

Fitn: I have no doubt you will be right back at it tomorrow! Sometimes I have to remind myself that a day off won't undo everything.

Thank you for continuing the challenge, it really has helped me re-focus on the 'fitness' part of my journey.

I am waiting on a Yoga dvd that I ordered specifically for the November challenge I haven't done Yoga in years, really looking forward to getting back into it!

Would love to hear what others are doing!

So far this week:

Tuesday: 20 min TJ, 20 min Ab Jam, 20 min ST
    Wednesday: 40 min TJ, 10 min Circuit, 10 min Stretching