Your man cook and do dishes?

Options

Replies

• Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    When we're together
    if I cook he'll TRY and do the dishes. I usually do them as I go so he doesn't have much

If he cooks I do them

That's the deal.
  • mrshuerta11
    Options
    I'm a newlywed too :) First: Congrats!! Yes my hubby is amazing!! He knows that I'm not a fan of cooking or dishes so he does A LOT of it. I do lots of other things. We have a beautiful balance.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Because when we got married we both worked outside of the home, we both chipped in ... sometimes he does more, sometimes me.. all depends on our schedules. Even now that I have a home office and don't need to commute to work, he is such a big help. I work 40+ hours so when I am really busy he just pushes up his sleeves and does what needs to be done.

The most important thing is to communicate what you both would like... and find a compromise in that! Good luck.
  • bestrodeo
    bestrodeo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have a great man, he works his job 4am till 2pm 6 days aweek, comes home to cook AND clean if needed.. He washes his own clothes, does dishes (not a dish washer) he cleans better than most women I know.. Our house is a team without teamwork it will fall apart.. He even gives bathes, puts the kids to bed and changes diapers...
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    we both cook, but he is more like a freaking MasterChef, so if it were possible, I'd opt for him to do all of our cooking... it just depends on who has what going on in our house.
  • docturtle
    docturtle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My husband has done most of the cooking throughout our 20-year relationship. I would do most of the dishes, since he did the cooking, but if I was working and he wasn't, he would do both. Now that he has a broken arm, I'm doing both. I'm not much of a cook, but I'm learning.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I do all the cooking and the laundry, but he does pretty much everything else.
  • kharrington23
    kharrington23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Demand? No. Ask? Definately. Mine has helped from day 1; if i cook, he cleans. If he is home and I work late he might even do both!

^^^ This. My husband always helps with the cooking and the cleaning. He can't cook much, but if he knows how to do it he'll get it started for me!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Not married, but lived together many a year. He cleans and cooks. Generally, he does his own cooking and I do mine, though. I'm vegetarian and he doesn't know what to do with that. Plus, he likes things like mac and cheese out of a box and that makes me want to puke. lol

But I don't have to nag him about dishes and stuff. He just sees it needs to be done and does it. Or sometimes, I'll start to do them and he'll tell me to leave them and he'll do them in the morning or something. Sometimes I do them. Sometimes my daughter does.

Some men don't think to offer, though. Just ask. If he's a jerk about it, then he's a jerk. But my guess is, he just hasn't thought about it and will be happy to if reminded.
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I am married to a Chef - thus why I am a MFP addict. It's great not have to think about what to cook or how to cook, but it stinks because everything he makes tastes like i'm sitting in a restaraunt.

Dishes are always on me and so is the cleaning, not that I mind because i'm a neat freak :bigsmile:
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    mines useless. in the kitchen. great in bed so I let him off!!! ;)

having a dishwasher is a great help. (the machine kind).

I consider it quite childish to be bothered about that kind of thing, to be honest, I did a lot of housesharing when I was younger and found there are those that do and those that don't and you know what you can't change the ones that don't into ones that do.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Yes, my husband can cook. Does he cook? Sometimes on weekends. I stay home with the kids and really don't have a problem doing most of the cooking. Dishes? Yes, he cleans the dishes unless I beat him to it. I like to do them because I get a break from the kids while he entertains them.
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    We both work full time and we share household duties.

Actually, at this point - he is doing more than I have been because I am also in school. (Love that man!)

It really depends on your situation. Are you working? Will you be staying at home? I'd say if you are not working and he is, it is not fair to expect him to go 50/50.
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    My husband does the dishes most of the time. He will grill things for me, and he chops up my vegetables for dishes because I ALWAYS cut myself (on accident of course). He also does laundry, well the easy part of it, putting it in wash then in dryer (no folding, unless it's towels). He cleans up the yard and mows it and cleans up under the carport.... I have a gem!
  • JasonWCNewcomb
    Options
    I clean. My wife and I eat very differently so we cook separately, but once in a while I cook a meal that's easy but sounds fancy. That usually wins me points.
  • LaGordita87
    LaGordita87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I do all the household stuff and always have. I am lucky if i get hubby to pick up his own crap off the floor lol, it doesn't really bother me that he doesn't help because he works a lot of hours so i get to stay home with our girls so i look at it as he is doing his half by working so much so i want to be able to make our house a nice clean place for him to come home to and i like cooking so i wouldn't care if he helped out with that.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    We had a talk a while back about the chores and came to a compromise. Now I do all the dishes and he does all the laundry! Cooking just depends on who is feeling up to it.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky enough to have a man that does both! We have an unspoken agreement that we've upheld for the last 3 years...if one of us does the cooking, the other does the dishes and cleanup. It's a great way to compromise and express your gratitude for the cook!

I hate doing the dishes because it takes so much longer than cooking dinner. Doing the dishes is like 1.5+ times the amount of work that preparing dinner is...at least in our house.
  • KBoddu
    KBoddu Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Well, my husband does pretty much everything... Cooks and cleans, but I try to do the dishes when I get the chance. I'm SUPER busy with a FT job and nursing school so he takes care of everything... Even washes all of our clothes. I'm VERY blessed to have him.

You have to just let them know, "Hey, I need you to do this for me because with school, work and working out I just don't have time". That's the easiest thing because marriage is a partnership. After I am done with school and he goes back to finish his last few years for oral surgery I'll be the one to do everything. That's just how it works. =)
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I cook and do major cleaning (you know bathroom, floors etc.) and i clean up after my cooking. I do the grocery shopping since I do the cooking, and if I sent him to the store he'd come home with chips and ice cream. He will run the dishwasher and empty it though, and we both do laundry whenever we start running out of clothes. He's also super organized and has to have stuff looking neat, so I love that that's not all on me. We try to split things pretty evenly, and if one of us isn't pulling as much weight as we could / should we just ask for some help.