How Do You Feel About The Flu Shot?

Options
I myself am highly upset that everyone here is being forced to take a flu shot regardless of whether you want it or not. It's either take it or lose your job- I have never taken one and I don't want one! What are your thoughts about the flu shot?

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I myself am highly upset that everyone here is being forced to take a flu shot regardless of whether you want it or not. It's either take it or lose your job- I have never taken one and I don't want one! What are your thoughts about the flu shot?

I get one every year, my son has asthma and his ped suggested it.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    It's the responsible thing to do.
  • JasonD334
    JasonD334 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I feel much better about getting a flu shot then the actual flu, so go get one. It won't hurt anything, I can tell you that with certainty.
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I get one every year!! Although, I don't know how I feel about being forced to get one unless you work in the medical or education field.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I've never been forced to. I think for the minor inconvenience it is worth the precaution. I hate when I am too sick to keep fit, and I have a newborn, so the choice is obvious to me.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I probably won't be getting one, but I would if I needed to. Although, if I were forced to get one by my employer I probably wouldn't be a very happy camper. I don't like to be forced to do anything LOL.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Get the flu and you will wish you had taken the shot.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Never had one as far back as I can remember.

Whatever happened to the swine flu anyway? Or was that just here?

I remember lines and lines of people in every city, goin to get swine flu shots or some garbage.

Pigs are better off gettin a kiwiburger shot.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I never got a flu shot until I actually had the flu. NEVER want to do that again - that was the worst week of my entire life.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I don't like flu shots. I've never had one in my life. My kids don't get them. My husband doesn't get it. My family got the H1N1 last year, and we survived. We felt miserable for a little while, slept a lot, drank lots of water and vegged out together, took our fever meds, and got over it. We relied on our immune systems, and they worked just the way they were supposed to.

The flu shot isn't even guaranteed to work. It's a guess. Loaded with a mega dose of mercury. Mmmmm. Delightful. Don't you dare throw out one of those mercury light bulbs in the regular trash, but let's all be forced to get a shot full of mercury? Doesn't seem right to me...
  • tcpowell25
    Options

I get one every year, my son has asthma and his ped suggested it.

Same here. My daughter has severe asthma and she was hospitalized for 5 days last year. Her doctor recommended that we all get a flu shot to keep us all healthy.
  • moyafigura
    moyafigura Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I dont get the shot, and i would hate to be forced to have one.
  • oreolover
    oreolover Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I get the flu shot every year too, it only causes a little temporary soreness, much better than the flu.
  • Momkat65
    Momkat65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I was never a fan of getting flu shots until a coworker got H1N1 aka Swine Flu. She was SOOOOO VERRRRY sick she thought she was going to actually die.
    Seeing how that was for her was enough to convince me.
    If you are around ANY young children, elderly people or anyone with a compromised health condition get the flu shot for them.
    You may be healthy enough to fight back/recover when you get the flu but you could also be spreading it to others less fortunate before you even know you are carrying it.
  • slwsnowman40
    Options
    I don't get them. My kids and I usually get the flu, and to everyone who says that's impossible I have this story.

Last time my oldest got the flu shot was when he was 3, no one at his daycare had the flu or flu like symptoms, and no one my wife or I worked/interacted with had the flu or flu like symptoms. 2 or 3 weeks after getting the shot, he has the flu all Thanksgiving weekend. Since we stopped getting the flu shots, no one in my family has been that sick ever again, and we are going on 5 years.

Knock on wood....

We get the common cold a few times a year (and a special thank you to all the parents who treat their children as fashion accessories and send Little Suzy/Johnny to school with runny nose/fever), but we have yet to get the flu as a result of not getting the flu shot.

What is it you do that they can make you get it or lose your job? There are some jobs where it is a requirement.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Loaded with a mega dose of mercury.
    Not going to start an argument about the safety of thimerosal. But the FluMist nasal spray vaccine and all single-dose vials do not contain thimerosal.
    and we survived
    Lucky you. Approximately 36,000 people a year are not so lucky.
  • ziesergirl_66
    ziesergirl_66 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    all of my family get the flu shot. my dh works in a factory with many people. I am a school bus driver exposed to everything. our 2 children are in college, again exposed to everything. none of us have ever had the flu.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I think it sucks that you're being forced to get one.

I never get flu shots, but I never get sick. The people I stay with get sick every year around this time and it always skips me. I am invincible! :laugh:
  • slwsnowman40
    Options
    I was never a fan of getting flu shots until a coworker got H1N1 aka Swine Flu. She was SOOOOO VERRRRY sick she thought she was going to actually die.
    Seeing how that was for her was enough to convince me.
    If you are around ANY young children, elderly people or anyone with a compromised health condition get the flu shot for them.
    You may be healthy enough to fight back/recover when you get the flu but you could also be spreading it to others less fortunate before you even know you are carrying it.

You can still spread the flu, even if you aren't sick from the strand you may have in your system.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I don't get them. My kids and I usually get the flu, and to everyone who says that's impossible I have this story.

Last time my oldest got the flu shot was when he was 3, no one at his daycare had the flu or flu like symptoms, and no one my wife or I worked/interacted with had the flu or flu like symptoms. 2 or 3 weeks after getting the shot, he has the flu all Thanksgiving weekend. Since we stopped getting the flu shots, no one in my family has been that sick ever again, and we are going on 5 years.

Knock on wood....

We get the common cold a few times a year (and a special thank you to all the parents who treat their children as fashion accessories and send Little Suzy/Johnny to school with runny nose/fever), but we have yet to get the flu as a result of not getting the flu shot.

What is it you do that they can make you get it or lose your job? There are some jobs where it is a requirement.

not at all impossible. and only somewhat unsual, obviously for you and yours flu vax are NOT good. Many people can not take them with out some kind of reaction ranging from allergic to getting the flu , or flu like symptoms. if the vax becomes worse than the disease than it is in the patients best interest to discontinue