*sigh*Partner losing weight?They are planning to leave

Options
Lizzy_Sunflower
Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
People who lose weight while they're in an apparently steady relationship are secretly preparing to dump their other halves, says a new relationships study.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8873954/Beware-If-you-partner-is-losing-weight-they-are-probably-planning-to-leave.html

My husband sent me this article link this morning, saying he hopes this isn't us.

I thought he knew better than that!

Discuss.

Replies

• Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I think its insecurity on the partners part...
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't believe this unless you're relationship has real problems, and if it does, then losing weight is the smallest problem you have between the 2 of you!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to read the article. A study can be skewed to prove any point. My relationship is stable and I'm getting fit so that I can spend many more years with my boyfriend, not leave him.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I read the article, and I don't like the assumption that someone in a relationship is supposed to just give up on what they look like, and showing any interest in their fitness or health is a sign they are getting ready to leave! What a proposterous assumption. I am in a steady relationship, and the #1 reason I want to lose this weight is to be healthy and have a longer life with him...not so I can go find a new partner!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    this is funny, I mean really is there any other junk they would like to feed into people's minds!
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say studies can be skewed to say anything. I for one am doing this for my husband, not to leave him. I want to spend a long happy life with him and give him the best of myself that I can.
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Although there may be heartless conceited people like that, I am sure that is not the majority.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I can understand what they're saying, and the stuff behind it, but I believe that some people just like to get into shape. Doesn't mean they're trying to get a new SO.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Options
    I read the article, and I don't like the assumption that someone in a relationship is supposed to just give up on what they look like, and showing any interest in their fitness or health is a sign they are getting ready to leave! What a proposterous assumption. I am in a steady relationship, and the #1 reason I want to lose this weight is to be healthy and have a longer life with him...not so I can go find a new partner!

I totally agree with this. Being able to do More things with said partner is a great advantage to getting fit. Hiking, Biking, running...all things we can do together as a couple

I got sick of being fat. I didn't get sick of being married.
  • Phoenix24601
    Phoenix24601 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to read the article. A study can be skewed to prove any point. My relationship is stable and I'm getting fit so that I can spend many more years with my boyfriend, not leave him.

^ this
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say studies can be skewed to say anything. I for one am doing this for my husband, not to leave him. I want to spend a long happy life with him and give him the best of myself that I can.

Exactly! Also, that is beautifully put to the girl who wrote this >.<
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I read this the other day, I don't like the fact that suddenly your expected to stop making an effort, and if you do it must be for someone else :/

Whatever happened to wanting to look good for yourself, your partner and being healthy so you can live a longer life, teaching your kids a good example etc etc. There's much more reasons that just wanting to impress some new man/woman.
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    I've heard this, too...very recently in fact. I think it's nonsense, my weight loss/fitness goals are all about me and the way I look and feel.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Options
    this is funny, I mean really is there any other junk they would like to feed into people's minds!

I think it is a horrible thing to feed peoples mind.

I NEED my husbands support to reach my goals. I don't need him worried about me leaving him if I get too fit.
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    hahahah. this is great. sending to my boyfriend.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    While I agree that this isn't the motivation for all people, I've personally seen it happen often.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Bullsh*t. I'm losing baby weight. I'm not leaving the best man in the world.
  • hatchhome
    Options
    The honest truth is many people gain weight when they are unhappy so naturally when they start to shed those pounds they look to the reasons why and maybe they start eliminating them. I don't think people in a good relationship look elsewhere just because they lose weight. I also hate the study where people that drink diet soft drinks are more likely to gain weight. I don't think thats a fair study because people who drink diet are often dealing with weight issues, same thing in this study in my opinion.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Bull *kitten*. THis is my wifes biggest fear, is that im getting "all in shape" and am going to leave because she is not making the progress that I have. She is litteraly terrified of my weightloss, that I will leave her now. no matter what I tell her she is still insecure about it. I love her and Im losing weight so I can stay around to be with her till we are old and in rocking chairs.
  • 135Lillee
    Options
    I don't agree at all. I want to get fit for several reasons, being an older mom with young children makes me want to be healthier to keep up with them, family history of members being overweight and having health issues that go along with that, and also for my husband. He has never complained about my wieght, but I know he misses the old thinner, more active me. Getting fit is not just for me, but for him too, and my family.