The only difference between a "clean" and "dirty" food is...

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    So you don't consider meats with cancer causing nitrates and obscene amounts of sodium dirty? It's within portion control then? Did you know eating deli meats/hot dogs, one serving per day, has shown an increased risk of colon cancer by 21-25 (varying studies)%? http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/a-hot-dog-a-day-increases-your-risk-of-colorectal-cancer-by-21-percent.html
    Life causes cancer.
  • Fast food, processed foods are slow killers, as well they up the medical costs from food related diseases etc. I know many parents who give their kids hot dogs at least 4x a week. Sad. All starts at home. Unfortunately, the obesity rate is climbing drastically. Many of today's children won't out live their parents.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    So you don't consider meats with cancer causing nitrates and obscene amounts of sodium dirty? It's within portion control then? Did you know eating deli meats/hot dogs, one serving per day, has shown an increased risk of colon cancer by 21-25 (varying studies)%? http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/a-hot-dog-a-day-increases-your-risk-of-colorectal-cancer-by-21-percent.html
    Did you really just post that??? Who eats a hot dog EVERY SINGLE DAY??? Well, I guess if you look at it over the course of relatively short time spans, like 1 day, then I do.... but really?

ok... so common sense + portion control.

A lot of peoples kids are picky eaters and many parents still feed their kids these types of food as "real food" on a daily basis, which becomes habit forming for them later on in life. If parents ate "clean" foods with their kids over time, this might not be an issue, but for lots of the population who do not care about what they are consuming... just eat within calorie control for "weight management" which is very sad. If it's too easy to eat, requires little cooking, takes forever to spoil and comes from a package, it probably isn't all that great for you.
    I'm not sure I agree with that absolutely, but I'll concede the general point you are making.

However, those people probably don't much care about the quality of food, never mind their overall health, so they aren't on this site, so the OP's post has little bearing on them.

Furthermore, the whole point to his post was *how much you eat*. It's reasonable to assume that eating highly processed, highly preserved foods every single day over a long period of time is "eating too much", thus making it dirty.

From where I am sitting and reading, there are plenty of those people on this site. There are so many people that have diaries filled with frozen foods, diet soda, candy bars, fast food, etc.............

And they think it is all good because they are within their calorie limits. There is nothing healthy about that.

Personally, I am sick of the attitude of topics such as the OP posted, it perpetuates a mindset that really needs to be changed, especially in the United States.

I am sick and tired of paying more for health insurance because people don't give a *kitten* to shop and cook properly for themselves and their family all in the name of convenience.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Fast food, processed foods are slow killers, as well they up the medical costs from food related diseases etc. I know many parents who give their kids hot dogs at least 4x a week. Sad. All starts at home. Unfortunately, the obesity rate is climbing drastically. Many of today's children won't out live their parents.

The child obesity rate is climbing in part to improper diet and the other part to LACK OF EXERCISE.
    Children are left to entertain themselves in their rooms with video games/internet/TV.
    When I was a kid we went OUTSIDE and were active... I never sat in like a couch potato unless I was sick.

These are different times I know but I believe the parents are accountable to teach basic balanced nutrition (and I don't mean clean and dirty...) and enforce it as well as making their children get off their a## and move. Lead by example - problem is the example in many households is adults sitting watching reality TV all night every night.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Did you really just post that??? Who eats a hot dog EVERY SINGLE DAY??? Well, I guess if you look at it over the course of relatively short time spans, like 1 day, then I do.... but really?

ok... so common sense + portion control.

A lot of peoples kids are picky eaters and many parents still feed their kids these types of food as "real food" on a daily basis, which becomes habit forming for them later on in life. If parents ate "clean" foods with their kids over time, this might not be an issue, but for lots of the population who do not care about what they are consuming... just eat within calorie control for "weight management" which is very sad. If it's too easy to eat, requires little cooking, takes forever to spoil and comes from a package, it probably isn't all that great for you.
    I'm not sure I agree with that absolutely, but I'll concede the general point you are making.

However, those people probably don't much care about the quality of food, never mind their overall health, so they aren't on this site, so the OP's post has little bearing on them.

Furthermore, the whole point to his post was *how much you eat*. It's reasonable to assume that eating highly processed, highly preserved foods every single day over a long period of time is "eating too much", thus making it dirty.

From where I am sitting and reading, there are plenty of those people on this site. There are so many people that have diaries filled with frozen foods, diet soda, candy bars, fast food, etc.............

And they think it is all good because they are within their calorie limits. There is nothing healthy about that.

Personally, I am sick of the attitude of topics such as the OP posted, it perpetuates a mindset that really needs to be changed, especially in the United States.

I am sick and tired of paying more for health insurance because people don't give a *kitten* to shop and cook properly for themselves and their family all in the name of convenience.

You're missing the whole point of the post. But I'm you're busy writing all those checks for insurance deductibles, so it's understandable.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    I didn't know that people that are eating "dirty" also posted up their blood/urine work to show how "unhealthy" they are. if they can eat that, stay at a good weight/bodyfat and run good blood/urine work, then that's good for them.
  • MsMouseMouse
    MsMouseMouse Posts: 92 Member
    Bumping
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    I didn't know that people that are eating "dirty" also posted up their blood/urine work to show how "unhealthy" they are. if they can eat that, stay at a good weight/bodyfat and run good blood/urine work, then that's good for them.

New trend. I'll report back after my physical next month. ;-)
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    You're missing the whole point of the post.
    As I understand it, the point of the post is that "The only difference between a 'clean' and 'dirty' food is how much of it you eat."

But what I am still confused about is:
    How many bowls of Rice Krispies, bologna sandwiches on Wonder Bread, and pepperoni pizzas do I need to eat to meet the RDA recommendations for vitamins and minerals?

Are we talking, like, two servings of each? Four? Help!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member

New trend. I'll report back after my physical next month. ;-)

For the record, I had mine done about 1.5 years ago. All was well.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    As I understand it, the point of the post is that "The only difference between a 'clean' and 'dirty' food is how much of it you eat."

How many bowls of Rice Krispies, bologna sandwiches on Wonder Bread, and pepperoni pizzas do I need to eat to meet the RDA recommendations for vitamins and minerals?

How many apples to I need to eat?
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,130 Member

[/quote]

Me! Me! I'm one of "those" people. I'll eat whatever I want, thank you. Always have. My bloodwork is PHENOMENAL. My weight is considered "normal" (although obviously I'm on here to lose some weight - I like to be thin). If I don't have time as a full-time working mother of two, wife, and graduate student to buy fresh vegetables every couple of days to COOK, it's my own business. And, it doesn't have one single thing to do with your health insurance. But thanks for your condescending opinion of it all. Oh, and my mindset is just fine, thank you.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member

How many apples to I need to eat?
    15, but you have to wrap them in breadsticks and dunk them in Shakeology. I think....
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317

I generally agree with the idea of eating whole foods and "clean" foods. However, be careful when interpreting those studies that suggest "Eating X will increase you risk of Y cancer by Z%"! They are often observational studies based on correlations. You can find correlations in anything and controlling for all the variables is almost impossible. Personally I wouldn't eat a hot dog every day, but I also am extremely skeptical about any study that makes those sorts of claims.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member

I generally agree with the idea of eating whole foods and "clean" foods. However, be careful when interpreting those studies that suggest "Eating X will increase you risk of Y cancer by Z%"! They are often observational studies based on correlations. You can find correlations in anything and controlling for all the variables is almost impossible. Personally I wouldn't eat a hot dog every day, but I also am extremely skeptical about any study that makes those sorts of claims.

That study can be disregarded because it is not published. You are right in the sense that context must be established. Even water can kill you.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    With such a long list of passionate replies, you'd think we are arguing FOR processed, salted and chemically altered kind-a foods! No doubt they are easier and faster to prepare, but there is a toll on the body. Kind of obvious, right?

This debate might be outside the original intent of the poster, but hey threads have a way of going where they will.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Food trends are forever changing... eggs = good... then eggs = bad.... now eggs = good maybe?

Seriously, life used to be much simpler and I prefer it that way.

Fantastic that you bring this up. The study that deemed eggs "bad" had subjects eating a dozen eggs a day if I remember correctly, so it's a no brainer that that may not be healthy. A couple eggs a day? Fantastic! (duh). Similarly, as other people pointed out the study that was linked assumes people eat a hot dog every day. So many studies don't take realistic scenarios into account.

Personally, my diary is not clean at all but I'm making improvements and I'm okay with that.

I think the point here is that "clean" vs "dirty" is a) erroneous and b) irrelevant to weight loss, which is what this site kind of focuses on.

Sure, eating healthy food is better than not. I also believe that it's not a good idea to strongly push that you have to eat absolutely perfectly though. Make changes you can live with. If everyone in this country stayed within a reasonable caloric limit, we'd be a heck of a lot healthier even if they didn't eat "clean".
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Everything causes cancer -.-

nothing causes cancer, cancer cells exist in the body from birth, certain things cause them to go insane.
    everybody else is being nit-picky, so I thought I would too!
    actually, I don't think I could "clean eat." no pasta? no bread? where do the complex carbs come from??
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Clean eggs come from the supermarket.
    Dirty eggs come from my sister's chooks (and often have poo stuck to them!)
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    I find it funny, when people claim to be die hard clean eaters. No processed food whatsoever. Yet they turn around and take all kinds of supplements, medicine. Where is the logic in that? The term "clean" or "dirty" has no standard definition. It varies a lot. Therefore it shouldn't be used to describe foods.