Couch to 5k Group - Starting Monday April 13th

Options

Replies

• dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I don't think I'll be able to do my first run until tomorrow though. I've downloaded the podcasts and have been meaning to do this for a while. Thanks for the motivation/accountability.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Omgosh, are we really starting this today? eek! here goes nothing!

Hahaha, you sound like me at 6am this morning! :laugh:

Go for it! I actually feel great afterwards.

I need a good run today anyhow. I'd already pulled running music last night.
    Then I accidentally ate 508 calories for breakfast... more than I budget.
    (I thought my doughnut stick treat would be 200, 240 calories. It was 380! :noway: . Whoops!)
  • cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Cool, I started this program today as well!! I'm glad there is a group here. I will defenitely check into the podcasts, that would make it easier than having to keep up with time.

Are most of you doing this on treadmill or outside?

GOOD LUCK!!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this outside, no access to treadmills. Plus treadmills give me this terrible feeling of being a hamster on a wheel :happy:
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,756 Member
    Options
    Good luck guys! I didn't follow the program exactly, but my own version in September. Now I'm running 2 miles a day. You'll be surprised how fast it works. I was really nervous about the times, they seemed to increase so fast, but you'll be surprised how fast you can do it. Now I'm working on increasing my speed. I started out at like 4.2 MPH, I'm up to 5 MPH, I just increase my speed every week or two.

Also, I never downloaded any of the podcasts, but I used Audacity, a free program to mix my own. Just a thought if you have a few computer skills, it's easy and you can use your own music that gets you going.

Good luck again!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    If I can, I run outside, but that it totally weather permitting. I'm asthmatic so cold air makes my lungs close up. On bad weather days (or cold days), I run on the treadmill in the gym (which I will be doing today).
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Good Luck to all starting this program today. I start week 7 today. It gets easier as you go but its not easy. I was never a runner and I can do it. I focus on doing the time. If it says 5 minutes or 1/2 mile I make sure I get the time. That builds your endurance and the distance will come.

:drinker: water of course
  • anewday
    anewday Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    :smile: I would love to do this - I just read a post about this in another site I'm on and tried looking in to. I instantly got over-whelmed and said never mind. It's a sign that you made this post to start today. I'm so in! I hope it gets nicer out because I'm going to have to run with baby but I'm ready! Good luck everyone!:happy:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Alright, didn't have my running schedule handy so my workout buddy and I devised our own. I'm figuring it is along the lines of week 4 or 5.

5 min warm up
    2 min run
    2 min walk
    3 min run
    2 min walk
    4 min run
    2 min walk
    3 min run
    2 min walk
    2 min run
    3 min cool down

It was strenuous. Burned 322 calories, including 5 min stretching afterwards.

Thanks for starting this group, Mattie! :flowerforyou:
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    What a great day to start this program... it's raining like CRAZY.

Feels good to be running. I've never had so much clean air in my lungs. I run along the *kitten* next to the river. It takes me along the outskirts of town and then right out of town if I wish to continue. I don't think I'll make it that far anytime soon though. For now I can run half the length of the town and then I have to gasp and wheeze my way back. One minute running, one minute and a half walking briskly.

The first sprint is always the hardest because my heart races like crazy and then after that it goes never goes up quite as high and never goes down quite as low. As calorie burn goes this isn't the greatest method. I burn more on the elliptical but the elliptical doesn't make me feel as good.

The burn in my legs, my lungs, and sweat on every bit of my body makes me feel as if I've done something.

I've accomplished something.

It's strange how such a basic action is the most rewarding.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Yup! And the best part? You don't need any machines to run. That's something not even us crazy cyclists can say :)
  • jimswmn
    Options
    What a great day to start this program... it's raining like CRAZY.

Feels good to be running. I've never had so much clean air in my lungs. I run along the *kitten* next to the river. It takes me along the outskirts of town and then right out of town if I wish to continue. I don't think I'll make it that far anytime soon though. For now I can run half the length of the town and then I have to gasp and wheeze my way back. One minute running, one minute and a half walking briskly.

The first sprint is always the hardest because my heart races like crazy and then after that it goes never goes up quite as high and never goes down quite as low. As calorie burn goes this isn't the greatest method. I burn more on the elliptical but the elliptical doesn't make me feel as good.

The burn in my legs, my lungs, and sweat on every bit of my body makes me feel as if I've done something.

I've accomplished something.

It's strange how such a basic action is the most rewarding.

Way to go Nicky...keep going girl !:flowerforyou:
  • jimswmn
    Options
    I did my run in the rain...different feeling. Made my sweatshirt heavier...LOL
  • TheGuardian
    TheGuardian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm in!

I was going to start this again after I finished P90X but this will only be a two week overlap and the first two weeks aren't bad.

I got halfway through the program last summer before I hurt my (already bad) knee playing tennis. It works really well!
  • yari
    yari Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi Everyone!! I started week 2 day 1 and i felt great, i also downloaded this podcast and it is awesome!!! you guys should try it out http://gonicoleyourself.blogspot.com/2008/06/couch-to-5k-podcast-page.html

I see that everyone felt great after doing the program, that rocks...

Have a great evening all

:heart: :heart: yari:heart::heart:
  • mommy0612
    mommy0612 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Well can I join. Actually started today before reading this. :)
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Great group and I am in. I just finished week 4 and man are my legs tired lol. It's a great program and it is working out well. Went home for easter this past weekend and headed out to a park that I used to take walks in. This time I went for a run. Ran two miles solid and that is big for a guy who is still 21 pounds away from getting out of the obese catagory. The program really works so lets make sure we all stick with it.

:drinker:
  • shababy
    shababy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!!! Week 3 day 1. Whew! I can't believe I did it. Three whole minutes! Twice! I thought I was losing a lung but I did it! I use the treadmill. I walk at 3.0 and run at 4.8. At the end, I stay on the treadmill at least another 20 minutes on an incline so I can burn more calories. So far, so good. i can really feel my endurance increasing. Any other Week 3 people? I made a mistake and looked at week 4 (totally intimidating). Happy running! :happy:
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Did Week 2 workout 2, but misread it and instead of walking for 2 mins I have been walking for 1 min!! I thought it felt a little tough! :laugh: I also walk for an additional 15 mins at an incline so that I can burn more calories. It is going good, and I feel great!:drinker: Hope everyone else is feeling great!
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    This past week I've been doing two running programs at once. The couch to 5K program first and then this other program which has no name. Basically you walk for ten minutes, run for ten (run until heart rate reaches 75% then walk until it goes down to 50% then run... etc), walk for ten.

I think I've managed to burn myself out! Haha. Today my legs feel like rubber things that aren't properly connected to my body. It almost hurts to breathe. Either I have a cold or I pushed it too hard. Either way I'll be sliding back to just the couch to 5K for this week. Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat are my run days. Tues, Thurs are my 'weight' days and Sunday is my fixed day off. I do NOTHING on Sunday except watch movies with friends and be a lazy tard. Haha.

I type a lot guys. Sorry about that.

Happy running!