How Do You Feel About The Flu Shot?

Options

Replies

• TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I didn't read everyone else's responses, but for my kids, it's always a must. Particularly for my son. His immune system isn't 100% plus he has asthma, and they're both in public school so I always get them shots.

For me, this was the first year I got it and never again will I get it.

I never get the flu and the only reason I got it this year was because my work was offering them to us for free so I went ahead.

I was out for two days after I got the shot because I was sick. I know a lot of people say you don't actually get the flu from the flu shot, but I sure as heck got something that had me down for two days so it will never happen again.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I do work in a hospital but still....it has always been our choice as to whether we wanted one or not. The Dr.'s will argue all day that it doesn't make you sick but there are certain people who seem to get the flu after having the shot. I mean what if the strand isn't dead? What if the guess is wrong and you get the flu anyway? The side effects are cold/flu like symptoms.. I'm not really argueing their point but I don't even take tylenol-I have suffered through pain several times- I just don't like putting things into my body. One day I may regret feeling that way but its just how I feel.
    The whole swine flu shot came out immediately-I just don't think they really had enough time to test it.
    My only way out is a written excuse from my doctor which I contacted toay LOL, I highly doubt that he will approve that but it was worth a try for the sake of my job I will take it and if I do get ill-someone will hear about it!! I mean that in a nice way! =)

Ah, so you do work in a hospital. Did you have to get the HEP B vaccine? I know when I worked in sports medicine I was required to be vaccinated. I'm sure those people still have to get the flu shot.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I work in biopharma, and have worked on the H1 and H5 vaccines. I've never had a flu shot, and would never get one!!

if you dont get one, that says a lot!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    80 years ago my Grandfather died of the flu and last week my brother-in-law died of the flu.
    GET YOUR FLU SHOT.
  • chinadoll725
    chinadoll725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do not get flu shots, nor do I allow my son to get one even though every year they give them to all of the children at his school. The vaccine only protects you against one strain of the flu, and there are always several strains that are floating around. This year, the flu shots are the exact same as the shots they gave last year... so if you already got the shot last year, why would you need to get it again?

Not true, Flu vaccines are designed to protect against the three influenza viruses that experts predict will be the most common during the upcoming season. Each season, this includes an influenza B virus, an influenza A (H1N1) virus and an influenza A (H3N2) virus.
    Yes, the viruses in this season’s vaccine are the same viruses that were selected for the 2010-2011 influenza but
    your body’s level of immunity from a vaccine received last season is expected to have declined. You may not have enough immunity to be protected from getting sick this season. Revaccination raises your immune levels against the flu season again.
  • jellerose
    jellerose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    No way would I put that in my body nor would I allow it in my child's! I do take extra vitamin D3 and make an effort to get more actual sunlight, something that doesn't come as naturally to me when it starts getting colder. But I live by the beach with a mild climate and I'd rather make that effort than take the risks of the shot. I start taking other immune strengthening supplements as well.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The flu vaccine for 2011-2012 protects against the most likely strain of influenza A, influenza B, and H1N1 (swine flu). The flu vaccine offers absolutely no protection against what is commonly referred to as the "stomach flu" in which you suffer from vomiting and diarrhea. That is a completely different virus. Influenza is marked by 7 - 10 days of high fevers, severe body aches, malaise, headache, etc. A runny nose and a cough without a significant fever is likely the common cold, not influenza, and again, a completely different virus.
    After you receive the flu vaccine, full immunity is not reached for two weeks. That's why you should get the vaccine early in the flu season. If you get sick within those two weeks, you probably contracted the flu from a coworker, at the grocery store, etc. before you achieved full immunity and not from the flu shot.
    The most risky complication from influenza is not dehydration. (This is likely the case for the "stomach flu" however). Complications from influenza include pneumonia, multi-system organ failure, encephalopathy, etc. Generally much more serious than dehydration and much more difficult to treat. Those with the weakest immune systems (infants, elderly and other immunocompromised) are the most likely to suffer from fatal complications.
    I am a physician assistant. While I strongly encourage vaccines for most of my patients, I certainly do not force them on anyone. There are valid reasons for not getting them. However, mercury poisoning, risk of autism, etc. are not valid reasons. No one should be forced to get a vaccine that they do not wish to get, but you do need to base your decision to decline one on ACCURATE information.
    I get my flu shot every year, as does my daughter. After life-flighting infants with pneumonia to a larger hospital and hoping they make it through, I will never refuse one. However, like I said, it's a personal decision.

Please realize I am not insulting anyone. Before going to PA school, I had no idea what the "flu" really was and I made assumptions much like previous posts. I would just like everyone to make an INFORMED decision and in no way want to start a generalized "to vaccinate or not to vaccinate" debate.

^ This.

And how would you feel if you didn't get the shot, got the flu and passed it onto someone immunocomprimised, elderly, or a child and they died?

It's like not wearing a seatbelt but buckling your kid in and you are thrown into them upon impact and kill them. I read that on my son's carseat years ago. It happens.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    80 years ago my Grandfather died of the flu and last week my brother-in-law died of the flu.
    GET YOUR FLU SHOT.

I totally agree! The more of us that get it, the less of us that are passing it around and affecting the immunocompromised, kids and elderly. Think of others here.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I've only gotten the flu shot once, last year because a close family member has a compromised immune system. Otherwise, I can't remember the last time I got the flu, so I don't see the point.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    Got the shot once and will NEVER get it again. The one time I got the shot I had the flu less than a week later and was the sickest I have ever been that year. Just because the FDAjoke says its okay doesn’t mean it is for everyone; don't even get me started on vaccinations for babies and children. It gets my blood boiling. :devil:
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I used to never get one, till I got the flu one year that is. Now, I get it yearly ;) It actually seems to boost my immune system through the colder months.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I walk down the middle of the street all the time. I've never been hit. I've heard of instances where cars jump the curb and hit pedestrians on the sidewalk, and people being run over in crosswalks. Therefore, the admonition to use sidewalks and crosswalks is a failure. I don't like to be told what to do.
    /sarc
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Never had the flu. Never had the flu shot. This past month has been a scary nightmare. Right after my dad had his shot he developed a virus that messed with his thyroid. He had multiple night sweats soaking through his pajamas for weeks and lost tons of weight. We were terrified he had cancer. The only thing we could point towards the cause was the shot.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Never had one, never will. I think it is crap that some companies force you take one. It is only good for a few strains of flu not ALL flu.

And, I know two folks with guillain-barré syndrome and that is directly from the flu shot. One was from last year, the other from five years ago.

And now my neighbor girl is paralyzed from the waist down. She had strep, then got the flu shot and a tdap shot. She would have been fine with tdap alone but the flu shot thrown in and now she has transverse myelitis.

No one in our family has had one and we have all been fine. Not to say we couldn't come down the the flu, but if we do, I'll deal with then.
  • Angelbinick21
    Angelbinick21 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Absolutely NOT. No flu shot for me, ever. Have you ever read the list of ingredients that they put in those things?! It is basically poison and a small dose of the flu, which is supposed to make your immune system work overtime. You should not be forced to take ANY form of medicine if you don't want to. There are groups like Michigan Opposing Mandatory Vaccines that educate government officials on why health care workers, and others, should not be forced to get flu shots.

To be honest, I am quite suprised at how many MFP's are in support of this vaccine. It can't possibly be healthy to poison your body in the off chance that you might catch a virus. Many of you won't eat certain foods because of the preservatives and addatives that are included. Think twice before you get the flu shot!

Some ingredients in the 2011 flu shot:

Preservatives:
    Alcohols
    Glycerine
    Neomycin
    2-phenoxyethanol (2-PE)
    Streptomycin
    Polymyxin B
    Mercury
    Formaldehyde
    Stabiliser/solvent:
    Tween 80
    Triton X-100
    Bovine
    Human fetal cells
    Gelatin
    Methiolate
    Monkey kidney cells
    Msg
    Phenol
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Preservatives:
    Alcohols- very small amount
    Glycerine - so what?
    Neomycin- so bugs don't grow in transit,
    2-phenoxyethanol (2-PE) - so what?
    Streptomycin- so bugs don't grow in transit
    Polymyxin B- so fungus won't grow in transit
    Mercury- very small amount (already went through this)
    Formaldehyde- So what?/ very small amount
    Stabiliser/solvent:- so what?
    Tween 80- so what?
    Triton X-100- so what?
    Bovine - Adjuvant
    Human fetal cells- really? that's a new one to me but logically Adjuvant
    Gelatin- so what?
    Methiolate- you mean thiomersal which is the substance the mercury is in that you already listed?
    Monkey kidney cells- Adjuvant
    Msg- small amount / so what
    Phenol- small amount

• hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    One of my friends lost her 25 year old otherwise healthy son last year to the swine flu. They didn't believe in getting the shot either.
  • JenSol
    JenSol Posts: 13
    Options
    My family and I do get the shot partly b/c my husbands company makes it and he has to and the other is b/c I don't want the flu for me or my family. It doesn't hurt anything to or not to get so we do. Your arm is a little sore for a few days no biggie.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options

And how would you feel if you didn't get the shot, got the flu and passed it onto someone immunocomprimised, elderly, or a child and they died?

Are you serious? Then their flu shots didn't work, I guess, right? Why is that on my conscience? Every older person I know is basically bullied into getting a flu shot every year, as are the immunocompromised that I know. My daughter IS immunocompromised, but I let her own immune system do its work without kicking it into hyperdrive (through immunization-hello! Her immune system doesn't work efficiently, so let's pump her full of stuff that her immune system has to tinker with??? That's stupid!!!). She has only half usage of one of her lungs due to being born with several congenital heart defects.... however, if I had continued to give her the shots (prior to her diagnosis), it would have killed her. My mother's heart said to stop. I did. She was later diagnosed, and the doctors told me that because her body was busy making extra red blood (because her heart was all jacked up), that the immunizations would have killed her while her body stopped with the red blood to make the white blood and let her immune system go to town with the crap they'd put in her. I'll take her weak immune system any day. It's done just fine so far.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options

Preservatives:
    Alcohols- very small amount
    Glycerine - so what?
    Neomycin- so bugs don't grow in transit,
    2-phenoxyethanol (2-PE) - so what?
    Streptomycin- so bugs don't grow in transit
    Polymyxin B- so fungus won't grow in transit
    Mercury- very small amount (already went through this)
    Formaldehyde- So what?/ very small amount
    Stabiliser/solvent:- so what?
    Tween 80- so what?
    Triton X-100- so what?
    Bovine - Adjuvant
    Human fetal cells- really? that's a new one to me but logically Adjuvant
    Gelatin- so what?
    Methiolate- you mean thiomersal which is the substance the mercury is in that you already listed?
    Monkey kidney cells- Adjuvant
    Msg- small amount / so what
    Phenol- small amount

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-formaldehyde-poisoning.htm

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927635

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9926645

http://www.vaccinetruth.org/2-phenoxyethanol.htm