Replies

• kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Circus!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Is this the first time you've heard of this family?

I think I heard of them last year but I do not have a television so I don't really follow the news all the time. Are they not more known in America?
    They've been on television since child 13, I think.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe this. The last child nearly died, and they want to try again?

***Edit: This just leads me to believe they are doing it for the attention, not love of family. If they truly cared about their children, why would they try to bring another into the world knowing it poses a huge risk to mother and baby?

That baby's almost dying had nothing to do with how many children they've had. That could happen to a first-born just as easily.

True, but my point was, if there was a time to stop, it was definitely after 19, because of the issues. But I would've stopped much earlier. :)
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I am one of six kids and Mom put my oldest sister to work helping with the rest of us before Sis started 1st grade. As each child was born, we learned to help with the younger ones. And we daughters each learned how to clean our rooms, clean the house, clean the kitchen, and how to cook. Our only brother learned how to take out the garbage and mow the lawn, and rake it. He and Dad also worked on any broken parts of our house and car. We had our own set of friends (siblings) each time we moved to different parts of the country and world. Dad made enough money to keep us clothed, fed, and housed, with simple family birthdays and annual trips back to the grandparents homes almost every year. Life was pretty good.

If the "20 child" family has the money to house, clothe, feed, and love all their children, then all power to them. But, if Mom's health falters, they may want to reconsider more children.

Have fun today! :drinker: (lots of water)
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I don't like to judge people for the decisions (not often anyway - I am human) BUT!!! 20 children now-a-days is just disgusting if you ask me. I know they can support them, but my gosh, why oh why would you do that to yourself? Having 20 children 200 years ago made sense because not many of them would make it into adulthood, but in 2011 .. well... 2012 I guess?! Ugh

I had a look at their website and they are deeply religious so I guess that is a factor. I have a friend who is not allowed to use protection and she is about to have a second child and her first is not even 2. She didn't really want kids but she had pre marital sex, got married to they guy, so in order to have sex, she will most likely just keep getting pregnant.

I believe in God. I use condoms and birth control.

Yes, that is you, I am talking about their faith and my friends faith.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Do they realize they're not like puppies? You can't give the kids away.
  • jennajava
    Options
    I don't like to judge people for the decisions (not often anyway - I am human) BUT!!! 20 children now-a-days is just disgusting if you ask me. I know they can support them, but my gosh, why oh why would you do that to yourself? Having 20 children 200 years ago made sense because not many of them would make it into adulthood, but in 2011 .. well... 2012 I guess?! Ugh

I had a look at their website and they are deeply religious so I guess that is a factor. I have a friend who is not allowed to use protection and she is about to have a second child and her first is not even 2. She didn't really want kids but she had pre marital sex, got married to they guy, so in order to have sex, she will most likely just keep getting pregnant.

But of course! If we're talking specifics though, I believe it is Catholicism that speaks out against the use of birth control, and the Duggars are not Catholic.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

***Edit: This just leads me to believe they are doing it for the attention, not love of family. If they truly cared about their children, why would they try to bring another into the world knowing it poses a huge risk to mother and baby?

That baby's almost dying had nothing to do with how many children they've had. That could happen to a first-born just as easily.

True, but my point was, if there was a time to stop, it was definitely after 19, because of the issues. But I would've stopped much earlier. :)

I stopped after one! lol

But they're supporting themselves and their family, the kids all seem pretty happy. It may not be "normal" by our standards, but it's "normal" for them. I think that family is better adjusted than most, so I have no problem with what they're doing.

I don't watch the show, though. It bores me.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    its ridiculous and selfish to have so many children you cant even bring them up yourself and have to use your older children to parent the younger ones. I dont see how the childrens needs could be being met.
    Fundamentalist nutters
  • jennajava
    Options
    Do they realize they're not like puppies? You can't give the kids away.

hahahahaha
  • Teliooo
    Options
    Now to think of another name beginning with J....

Sue :smile: x

My mum, her brothers and her mother and father all have a name beginning with J. 6 of them in total.
  • Teliooo
    Options

I stopped after one! lol

But they're supporting themselves and their family, the kids all seem pretty happy. It may not be "normal" by our standards, but it's "normal" for them. I think that family is better adjusted than most, so I have no problem with what they're doing.

I don't watch the show, though. It bores me.

OMG. there is a show?
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    One day her uterus will revolt.
  • aingersoll07
    aingersoll07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I couldn't agree with you more....
  • kapeluza
    Options
    I wonder how long this will continue? Isn't she into her 40s? This is just ridiculous. She'll be 50 and still having children.
  • kapeluza
    Options
    One day her uterus will revolt.

I doubt she has one anymore.
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    She's 45
  • Teliooo
    Options

But of course! If we're talking specifics though, I believe it is Catholicism that speaks out against the use of birth control, and the Duggars are not Catholic.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I didn;t mean they did not use protection because of religion, my friend does. I meant that maybe it is because of their religion they have chosen to have lots of kids. Their website tagline is children are a blessing from the lord. This is just speculation on my part.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options

A lot of fundamentalist religions don't allow their women to use birth control, not just Catholics. I believe in a lot of cases (not 100% sure) that they see it as a form of abortion and also as going against God's will. If God wants you to get pregnant and have 20 kids over your lifetime, it's your duty to do so.