When does the abuse stop?

Options
I was out walking this evening and as a car drove passed one of the girls in it shouted fat ***** at me. This is not the first time this has happened in my life, 10 years ago i actually had a car stop in the street so that the people in it could shout abuse at me, it was shortly after this that i stopped going out and gained most of my weight.

I am at a point in my life now where I am trying to boost my confidence and start talking to girls, when things like this happen it does make me wonder if i should bother yet.

Anyone else had experience with abuse or bullying because of size?

Rich

Replies

• Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is awful. If I were you I'd smile and wave at them. Totally throw them off.
    I'm so sorry people are such jackbutts.
  • bryan02
    Options
    wow that is terrible.. where the heck do you live?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    All I'm can contribute, Rich, is a shout out to stay strong. Don't let any jacka$$es ruin your confidence and drive to get healthy. Hang in there.

Some people really suck.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that really sucks. How old are these people? Not that age is any excuse but really.. I hope these are not adults or my faith in humanity will take another nosedive.
    Just keep doing what you're doing.
  • meshellmybell76
    meshellmybell76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am so so sorry that happened to you. Keep on keeping on. They will get theirs!
  • WickedMouse
    WickedMouse Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The fact is, kids are cruel and mean. They probably have been yelling that at everyone they pass, overweight or not. Don't take it personal, and don't let them make you feel that way. In 10 years they will be on MFP trying to figure out if they should be eating their exercise Calories.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I think you should start carrying rotten eggs in a sack to throw at asshats like that.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    Wow that is terrible and totally uncalled for....just smile wave and say thank you and continue on... they are the ones who are really hurting to have to stoop to such a level for fun and enjoyment, how empty and sad their lives must be...
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    What happened says a great deal about them and virtually nothing about you. I have never witnessed this kind of behaviour in my life, so I don't imagine it is common, because I'm super old and I get around.

I know it's difficult to not let things like this affect you, but you cannot let a group of unkind and presumably stupid people dictate how you feel about yourself.
  • heathera1980
    Options
    Do not let some stupid girl ruin your self-confidence! Consider the source...probably a teen who you shouldn't really care much about anyhow. The real ladies won't judge a book by it's cover. Keep on walking tall!
  • myshell26
    Options
    Absolutely! When I first began trying to lose weight, I decided I would try to jog a little each day until I could go a mile. I had a car full of kids stop and tell me that I would give myself a black eye and start an earthquake if I didn't stop jogging. I haven't jogged outside since, but it didn't stop me from trying to lose weight. These people have to put other people down to hide their insecurities. We'll get the last laugh in the end though because we are going to stay the course and become healthy and helpful citizens. Kill them with kindness. : )
  • natticus55
    Options
    I was walking home from Tesco the other day and a car full of guys shouted 'fat b****' out the window at me and im only a UK size 16!, needless to say i was really hurt and went home for a little cry. People that bully others have no confidence of their own and are pathetic, dont let it get you down because YOU are the better person.
  • JRMcCaghren
    Options
    Holy crap! I've moved about 6 times all over the U.S. and have been fat at every place, but never has this happened. If I had been there, I'd kick the *kitten* out of the car, but that's really not a good idea.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Who raised asshats like that? God, some people are truly horrid. I hope karma comes around and bites their *kitten* good.

Sorry you had to deal with that. I know it all too well.
  • littlewrists
    Options
    I'm 5'6, 118lbs and have a 24inch waist and I get called fat almost once a week. People are disgusting and love to bring others down.

It helps me stay motivated, though, and remember that I'm not there yet.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    People suck. I am sorry that happened to you. Just keep in mind (and I know its hard) that people that would do something like that have to be internally messed up and severely lacking in true confidence. Don't let it keep you from your goals, as I can see you are doing well.

After a certain time, things like that really won't bother you. Honestly - you'll feel so good about your goals, your health, and what you are doing, that you will just feel sorry for them.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    That's what middle fingers are for. The next time someone in a car yells insults at you use them liberally!
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    It'll stop when people quit being A-holes. So just keep your chin up and remember you do not need to identify yourself by how others see you.
    Mean people suck. And they will always yell comments... whether about weight, height, hair color, appearance.....

Because you care and show sensitivity, it shows what a great person you are. Never forget that.
  • AlyBelden
    Options
    I will never understand how people can say such things, especially to a stranger. It really just baffles me.

As for you, remember that someone that would do something like that is a small person that is trying to make themselves feel better by putting others down. I know it is hard, but you need to take it and put it back on them, and feel sorry for them because they live such hateful lives. Maybe it would help if you make a list of some of the things you have accomplished and are proud of so you can pull it out and remind yourself if something like this happens.
  • grimms11208
    grimms11208 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry this happened to you...not that I have been bullied in this way but my experience is that usually people like that are bitter, mean, and all around miserable themselves and they like to project their misery onto other people. Ignore their negativity and keep on doing what you are doing.