Do u live where it snows?

Options

Replies

• Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Let me think on this for a moment...

It is a living hell for endless months on end,it is a misery without relief and pushes one close to the brink.
    Despite the white color it is literally death on earth,no sounds outside other then traffic and and your own breathing.
    Months of no colors except white and brown with eternally slate gray skies.

You will grow to hate the crap with a holy passion as it affects everything you do in an unpleasant way.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I've only seen snow once, and it was just a few years ago, on a geology field trip. It was really weird; I wasn't sure I could step on it without falling through it. We found a plastic sled and went down some hills with it, haha.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Im in the Dallas area it snowed last year but that was my first winter here so im not sure if its the norm
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    ive never not lived somewhere that dosnt snow over 4 feet every winter, i have a love hate relationship with snow i love playing in it, but i hate trying to go to work, walk anywhere in the stuff lol

i wouldnt trade for a place without the stuff tho, its not christmas without a blanket of the white stuff outside
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I live where you need two things every day-- a sweater and an umbrella. Florida is very nice. I live under Alabama, so we call it L.A. [lower Alabama] and it does not snow. Well, let me take that back. We get snow, but it melts before it hits the ground. The only time I've seen snow was when I was three and it snowed here!! That was back in 1989. We get all the cold weather, frost all over the cars, and sleet over everything else, but no real snow. When I tell people it gets cold here, they think I'm out of my mind. Believe me! It gets to the single digits!! I sure love my fireplace.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I'm from the snow belt between Buffalo and Rochester, NY, where it's all fields and apple orchards, and where the white crap blows, causing tons of white-outs. Syracuse gets a ton of snow - more than Buffalo, on average. Buffalo just gets frigid because of the Great Lakes, and the white crap tends to fall in larger amounts over fewer days, if that makes sense.

As for driving, the thing with WNY and CNY is that people are usually decent snow drivers. You have to be. You can tell the out-of-towners because they suck at driving in it.

The rest of the seasons there are awesome, though. You have the Finger Lakes, the Adirondaks (love 'em!), and the Southern Tier (the hills in the southern part of the state on the PA boarder). It doesn't get too hot in the summer, fall is beautiful, spring is great. It's just that the months between October and March are horrible (yes, it usually starts snowing around Halloween)
  • lisamc03
    lisamc03 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love snow and cold weather! Born and raised in MN, now live in UT...gotta have seasons :)

One thing I miss cuz its not as cold here, is walking outside and feeling my nostrils freeze.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I just moved to Minnesota and it has already snowed! I am getting used to it (it was still snowy when I moved here in April, lol). I would rather there was less of it but I work outside so it affects me more than it would most people that work indoors. Considering I have to wear multiple uncomfortable EXPENSIVE layers just to live through the day, yeah it gets old. I don't think I'd really mind if it weren't for it getting in the way of my job.

I hate the wind here more than I hate the snow. If it weren't windy, MN and I would be golden (I live nearish to Fargo so it's really windy here).
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    We are considering moving to Syracuse New York. My husbands family lives there and asked me what I thought of living there, where there is tons of snow. I am in NC where we are lucky to see a few inches a year, if that. I would like a change but am scared I may regret it once I get there in the freezing temps and snow. If you live where you get lots of snow, what do you think? love it, hate it, pros cons??
    Here in DC it snows but not much but 2 1/2 years ago when we got all that snow and shut down the Feds for almost a week was pure hell...I thought I could handle it but when all of us were outside shoveling for 4 hours...the roads not maintained and I don't have a 'winter' car so it was maddness then this past winter with the ice storm I got stuck on thehighway...I definitely think you have to get your mind right about it. No joke!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    We are considering moving to Syracuse New York. My husbands family lives there and asked me what I thought of living there, where there is tons of snow. I am in NC where we are lucky to see a few inches a year, if that. I would like a change but am scared I may regret it once I get there in the freezing temps and snow. If you live where you get lots of snow, what do you think? love it, hate it, pros cons??
    Here in DC it snows but not much but 2 1/2 years ago when we got all that snow and shut down the Feds for almost a week was pure hell...I thought I could handle it but when all of us were outside shoveling for 4 hours...the roads not maintained and I don't have a 'winter' car so it was maddness then this past winter with the ice storm I got stuck on thehighway...I definitely think you have to get your mind right about it. No joke!
  • RunLiftEat
    RunLiftEat Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The only bad thing about snow is having to drive in it when it is fresh.
  • jasmineheaven
    Options
    Pros of living in the cold....you get to experience winter lol.
    Cons...if you own a house you have to shovel all the snow, snow storms, snow over 1 foot and reach 4 feet. It get extremely cold, you have to buy snow tires, shovel, secure your home so water doesn't leak through the balcony or open windows, its very hard to drive in and lots of people speed in the snow which causes many accidents, the high way is ALWAYS backed up....Yea theres no pros in this case.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have lived in Minnesota most of my life, and while I love it, I will NEVER get used to the cold and snow! I hate the climate in the south even worse, so I deal with it.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    It's hard to go snowboarding without it, so I love it. :wink:
  • kristen11joy
    kristen11joy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm another Canadian ( but from southern Ontario, so our winter weather is pretty wimpy compared with Calgary or "Winterpeg") I like having the seasons -- and I like the snow (first snowfall this morning, but it only lasted about 1/2 hour).
    You have to dress for the weather -- good boots, and a warm coat and whatever else. Takes twice as long to get anywhere, especially with kids.
    The part my husband really notices (in a bad way) is the lack of sunlight in the winter -- going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark by midwinter. I think that also contributes to the "winter blues" that people have.
    But I wouldn't live anywhere else!
  • Moonbyebye
    Moonbyebye Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I live in Pennsylvania. We see a lot of what every season has to offer.

pros:

beautiful! Absolutely beautiful.

biggest con:

seems to last forever. Never goes away when it's here. Can be a problem driving to work, etc.
  • jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    We just moved south of Seattle last January from the baking heat of Las Vegas. So I have been here for 2 months of snow winter and it wasn't that bad. All I can say, is that I would rather add extra layers and start up a fire to warm up, then to feel like your flesh is baking from you body. 115 degree heat at the end of July is no fun. And I was born and raised there.
  • MusicKeepsMeSane
    Options
    I live in the mountains in Massachusetts and I absolutely hate the cold weather and snow. Yes I think the snow is beautiful and I love to sit there and watch it fall but it makes the road conditions horrible, etc. Then you need to make sure you have a car that's suited for the snow and have snow tires. Having to be prepared to lose power during the bad storms and be without heat if you don't have a generator. It's just not fun having to deal with all the snow. The only pro to it is that it's pretty to look at.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I'm from just outside of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and I love snow and the cold. The sky is so blue during truly cold (-35 degrees C to -40) and clouds can't form, it's just so beautiful with the sunlight sparkling on the snow (appropriate clothing is essential :smile: ). Mind you, the mass amnesia suffered by drivers resulting lack of winter driving skills after the first couple of snowfalls can be annoying :huh:
    The only thing I don't like is the slush from salting the roads. Blech. What a mess.
    I love having 4 seasons.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Don't forget, shoveling snow is great exercise! Not to mention skating, skiing (downhill and cross-country), snowshoeing, running, snowmobiling, canyon ice walks...
    ...which leads to hot chocolate, cider, toddies...