Those with daughter: HPV Vaccination

Options

Replies

• hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I would have all my children vaccincated for sure, boys or girls. They are also coming out with a vaccine against genital herpes soon which will be great! With all the research showing how viruses can lead to cancer I feel very grateful I will be able to help protect my children from disease. Even avoiding the suffering these STDs cause is a wonderful advancement I wish I could have offered all my patients.
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    "Nope. I was diagnosed with a high-risk strain of HPV in 2003, too. I have to get paps and colposcopies all the time (although my HPV tests come back as negative now). My doc suggested I get the vaccine and when I got the first shot, I passed out and had a tennis ball size welt on my arm for more than three months. I have tingling/numb feelings in my left arm now, and I still have pain in the injection site. I never got the second or third shots, either.

I'll teach my daughter how to have safe sex so that she may protect herself. The reaction I had (and still have) was absolutely awful. "

I'm pretty sure the vaccine can't help guard you against something you already have....

Condoms my NOT fully protect against HPV.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv.htm
  • leannmanderson
    Options
    My step-daughter did not get the vaccine, and if I am ever blessed with children of my own, there will be no Gardasil for them, either. Multiple reasons, both religious and medical. Medically speaking....

1) 1 out of every 900 girls in the initial trials DIED as a direct result of the injection. That's pretty significant, if you ask me.
    2) Merck (the company that makes Gardasil) has admitted that they have not done wide-spread trials on girls under 15.
    3) Merck has also admitted that when the vaccine is given to girls before they hit puberty, the vaccine does not retain its effectiveness and boosters are required. These boosters (which means more money for Merck) are also required into adulthood as the body continues to change.
    4) Merck admits openly that the vaccine is not effective once you're sexually active.
    5) The vaccine only covers 4 of the 37 strains of HPV. All 4 of these strains reside naturally in the human body and can easily be transferred to your cervix if you and your partner have anal sex and he does not wash VERY thoroughly before vaginal penetration. This is information I've had for more than 10 years, as I learned it in my high school health class. (The part of about where HPV resides and how it can be transferred, not the part about how much Gardasil covers, obviously.)
    6) The cost of the shot and boosters cannot be offset by dropping regular pap screenings which are still required to catch the 33 strains of HPV that Gardasil does not cover.

To be perfectly honest, considering that cervical cancer is the most treatable form of cancer, 70% of HPV cases resolve themselves without treatment, and the fact that the American Cancer Society has stated that the incidence of cervical cancer deaths declined by 74% between 1955 and 1992 simply because of regular screenings and continues to drop an average of 4% EVERY YEAR, this makes regular screenings more effective than Gardasil, which Merck has also admitted cannot become effective AT ALL until a minimum of 70% of the population has received the injections and maintains the booster schedule.
  • jlfred
    jlfred Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It doesn't protect against many of the strains of HPV.

I was starting college when the vac was really popular, I opted out, I did my research and I didn't like what I read.

It does not protect against all strains of HPV, true. But it does protect against the 2 strains KNOWN to be the most likely causes of cervical cancer (plus Gardisil protects against the 2 strains known to cause genital warts). Most of the other strains are not known to cause any serious long-term adverse effects.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    It doesn't protect against many of the strains of HPV.

I was starting college when the vac was really popular, I opted out, I did my research and I didn't like what I read.

It does not protect against all strains of HPV, true. But it does protect against the 2 strains KNOWN to be the most likely causes of cervical cancer (plus Gardisil protects against the 2 strains known to cause genital warts). Most of the other strains are not known to cause any serious long-term adverse effects.

Thank you for this, you are absolutely right! I hate all the falsities out there about this vaccine.

4) Merck admits openly that the vaccine is not effective once you're sexually active.

You have misunderstood. If you are already sexually active, there is a high chance that you may have already acquired the strains that Gardasil protects against. If that is the case (that you already have the strain), it will not cure it. But it is still effective if you are already sexually active and have not accquired the strains the vaccine protects against.
    How would the act of sex prevent a vaccine from not working? It's illogical. I don't mean to personally attack you, but think of your words before you post them.
    As a nursing student and a future nurse, this is something that really gets me fired up.

quote]
    Meanwhile, we've basically eradicated polio, smallpox, and other similar diseases in America by vaccinating against them. I'm grateful to my parents for being responsible enough to get me vaccinated as per the CDC's recommended schedule. I'm following their schedule for my two daughters as well. And when the time comes for them to get the HPV vaccine, as long as it's still proven safe and effective, they'll be receiving it.

While vaccinating often gets all the credit for eradicating many diseases, people often forget all the advances in plumbing/water purification, waste management, hygiene products, etc, and the role they have played.

Your parents did what they believed was the right thing to do, and that's all that can be expected of parents. What bothers me about your statement is claiming that they were "responsible enough" to get you vaccinated; implying that those who didn't get their children vaccinated are being irresponsible. Just because people don't agree with your belief, does not make them irresponsible.

By "...as long as it's still proven safe and effective...", did you mean, "*IF* it has been proven safe and effective, they's be receiving it."?
    [/quote]

I'm not involved in this particular debate but I'm reposting it because I want to back the original poster - not getting vaccines is dumb. Having your child get an illness, and get very ill, from a disease that is preventable with a vaccine (Hep A, Hep B, Hib, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella) is stupidity.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    No, I have daughters and I say no to this vaccination. Who the hell knows what it might do in 10-15 years. There is just not a track record yet. TALK to your daughter so she is comfortable coming to you for anything and above all teach safe sex even if you are totally uncomfortable.

Safe sex will not help your daughter at all. If she is still a virgen and marry a man with HPV, chances are that she will get the virus. Condoms don't work, and eventually she will not have "safe sex" with her husband if they want to have children.
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm getting my last dose at the end of the month. They sure do hurt! I don't have a daughter but I will definitely get her vaccinated at an early age. I'm 23 when I got mine and already sexually active. I wish it was available when I was younger. I'd rather be safe from cancer than take a risk getting it later on in life.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile, we've basically eradicated polio, smallpox, and other similar diseases in America by vaccinating against them. I'm grateful to my parents for being responsible enough to get me vaccinated as per the CDC's recommended schedule. I'm following their schedule for my two daughters as well. And when the time comes for them to get the HPV vaccine, as long as it's still proven safe and effective, they'll be receiving it.

While vaccinating often gets all the credit for eradicating many diseases, people often forget all the advances in plumbing/water purification, waste management, hygiene products, etc, and the role they have played.

Your parents did what they believed was the right thing to do, and that's all that can be expected of parents. What bothers me about your statement is claiming that they were "responsible enough" to get you vaccinated; implying that those who didn't get their children vaccinated are being irresponsible. Just because people don't agree with your belief, does not make them irresponsible.

By "...as long as it's still proven safe and effective...", did you mean, "*IF* it has been proven safe and effective, they's be receiving it."?

I'm not involved in this particular debate but I'm reposting it because I want to back the original poster - not getting vaccines is dumb. Having your child get an illness, and get very ill, from a disease that is preventable with a vaccine (Hep A, Hep B, Hib, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella) is stupidity.

"Stupidity", in my mind, is letting people experiment on myself or my children. If I believed that their was a safe (and effective) vaccine to prevent a disease, where the long/short term affects/risks were known (actually KNOWN) and I had confidence in those that had created the vaccine, then I would obviously protect myself and my children.

As far as I'm concerned though, most vaccines are statistically ineffective, have little/no long term data on their impact on the human body, run the risk of causing an immediate negative response (sometimes deadly) and appear to be driven by large companies interested in making money as quickly as possible...but that's just my opinion.
  • RoboTrish
    RoboTrish Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I definitely do not trust the money driven drug companies that are pushing this vaccine. We do not yet know the long term effects and the horror stories associated with this vaccine are hardly even represented through the media, which is no surprise as most TV stations are paid to advertise this vaccine anyway.Their job is to sell it, not scare people.

Also, I am pro vaccine, I just think this one is way too unpredictable. I hope to be proven wrong someday, because it would be wonderful to have a vaccine that does what this vaccine is claimed to do. Perhaps by the time I have my own children, I will feel comfortable saying "yes"
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I didn't get it because my mother is a nurse and one of her co-worker's had a daughter who had a serious reaction to the vaccine. The army wanted to give it to me and thought I was crazy when I didn't want it... I'm waiting for more studies.

It would be one thing if I had any risk factors or if the cancer runs in my family but it doesn't... so for now, I'm good without it.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    No, I have daughters and I say no to this vaccination. Who the hell knows what it might do in 10-15 years. There is just not a track record yet. TALK to your daughter so she is comfortable coming to you for anything and above all teach safe sex even if you are totally uncomfortable.

Safe sex will not help your daughter at all. If she is still a virgen and marry a man with HPV, chances are that she will get the virus. Condoms don't work, and eventually she will not have "safe sex" with her husband if they want to have children.
    thank you
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options

thank you

yes, thank you!
  • christine24t
    Options

"Stupidity", in my mind, is letting people experiment on myself or my children. If I believed that their was a safe (and effective) vaccine to prevent a disease, where the long/short term affects/risks were known (actually KNOWN) and I had confidence in those that had created the vaccine, then I would obviously protect myself and my children.

As far as I'm concerned though, most vaccines are statistically ineffective, have little/no long term data on their impact on the human body, run the risk of causing an immediate negative response (sometimes deadly) and appear to be driven by large companies interested in making money as quickly as possible...but that's just my opinion.

Your odds of injury are greater from getting the disease than getting the vaccine for it. Just saying. I know I am not going to change your mind, and you are definitely not going to change mine, but I hope you really think about it, and realize what you are doing to yourself and your children.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    While I may change my mind when she is older, I am not inclined to vaccinate my daughter (currently age 4) against HPV. This is partially influenced by the fact that we have access to healthcare and I anticipate her having regular pap smears and papsure tests. It is also partially influenced by the fact that I resist vaccines in general due to having my eldest child develop asperger-like characteristics after receiving vaccinations according to state-mandated schedules as an infant, before I was educated as to potential negative consequences of vaccines on young children and in particular, the deadly effects of thimerosol. Although the HPV vaccine does not contain thimerosol, it is also true that after having contracted HPV, it is possible for the immune system to clear the virus. This in fact was the case with me. I tested positive for HPV while pregnant with my eldest son, and one time after his birth. Subsequent testing has been clear for over 12 years.

I believe it is best not to vaccinate children under the age of 2. I believe it is best to avoid vaccines that contain thimerosol (mercury) -- a known deadly poison -- this includes flu shots and chicken pox (varicella) vaccine.

Interesting info regarding HPV and the vaccine:

"But the cost of the vaccine is perhaps its most controversial feature. The three shot series costs $360, which makes it the most expensive on the market, and there is no proof that booster shots will not be needed in the future. Cervical cancer disproportionately affects low-income and minority women, so in order to effectively reduce the disease burden, the vaccine would have to be heavily subsidized so those most at risk could afford it.

Cervical cancer is a terrible disease, yet the U.S. has largely been able to control it through regular screening and pap smears. The disproportionate effects of the cancer are largely due to inequalities in healthcare access; half of all women with cervical cancer have never had a pap smear. Improving access to inexpensive screening measures could greatly reduce the disease burden for far less cost than the vaccine.

There are also valid concerns about the effects of subsidizing the cost of the vaccine on strained public health resources, particularly the worry that this could drain funding for more needed vaccinations. States should not be so quick to mandate the vaccine without first trying to negotiate lower prices with Merck or waiting for a competitor vaccine from GlaxoSmithKline, expected to be approved soon, to enter the market and drive down prices."

http://www.know-vaccines.org/
  • KerriMx5
    KerriMx5 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    NONE of my girls will get this.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    The truth is that the small group of people who have the adverse effects do suffer tremendously. You have to keep in mind though that that group is statistically insignificant given that it is much less than 1% of the total number vaccinated. Like I said earlier, the link between those who experience the severe adverse effects will be discovered and then patients will be able to be tested for risk before receiving the vaccination.

Everything that doesn't affect me is statistically insignificant. It may take a while to discover the link. Chances are if you are a parent of one of those kids with an adverse reaction, you'll probably refuse further studies on your child.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Your odds of injury are greater from getting the disease than getting the vaccine for it. Just saying. I know I am not going to change your mind, and you are definitely not going to change mine, but I hope you really think about it, and realize what you are doing to yourself and your children.

Out of curiosity; which odds are you referring to? The reason I came to this decision is because *I did* really think about it. I'm sure that if more people thought about it logically, looked into the data (including the odds of contracting one of the strains the vaccine is fairly effective against...not one of the many others) and considered all the unknowns, there would be far fewer people getting the vaccination.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! Why take the chance when you can be protected! I got the gardisil (or however you spell it) shots when I was 23, and they did hurt. However, I also heard that the younger they get them...the less painful they are.

I don't think it would hurt to get them...and they can only help!
  • elissascotland
    elissascotland Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    All my children of both genders will receive the HPV vaccine.
  • christine24t
    Options
    I believe it is best not to vaccinate children under the age of 2. I believe it is best to avoid vaccines that contain thimerosol (mercury) -- a known deadly poison -- this includes flu shots and chicken pox (varicella) vaccine.

The majority of vaccines do not contain thimerosal anymore - they haven't for about ten years. http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/thi-table.htm As you can see from that link, some flu shots do contain trace amounts of thimerosal, but you could always ask for another brand without thimersol, like Flumist.

Out of curiosity; which odds are you referring to? The reason I came to this decision is because *I did* really think about it. I'm sure that if more people thought about it logically, looked into the data (including the odds of contracting one of the strains the vaccine is fairly effective against...not one of the many others) and considered all the unknowns, there would be far fewer people getting the vaccination.

I was talking about other vaccines more so than just the HPV vaccine when I said the odds of injury are greater from the actual illness than the vaccine. I've read it before, and unfortunately I can't tell you where I read it - it was a few years ago.
    I can understand where people come from in not liking the HPV because it is a new vaccine, but there is no reason, in my opinion, to avoid traditional vaccines. I also still think that people should get HPV, but if you're waiting for more information, I can respect that. I can also tell you it is perfectly safe. There's a good link that talks about the adverse conditions associated with Gardasil and Cervarix http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/vaccines/hpv/gardasil.html

This is a good link that kind of sums up what I think about vaccines in general: http://www.aap.org/immunization/families/VaccineSafety_parenthandout.pdf
    http://www.aap.org/immunization/families/VaccineSafety1pagerEnglish.pdf