Say your 15 yr old daughter requests Birth Control

Options

Replies

• Amanda_Jean87
    Amanda_Jean87 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Communicate with your child, it could be for other reasons besides having sex. Birth control helps with acne, regulates your cycle, and in some instances eases menstral cramps. And if they are deciding to become sexually active, then I think a question such as this opens the door for a more serious talk. I'm not a parent and can not exactely relate but just an idea :)
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    i'm not a parent either, but my concern would be that if she's on birth control, then guys could easily talk themselves out of using a condom. too many std's for that.

I was just going to say this!

If my daughters request birth control at 15, then I will gladly help them out. I will make sure that they understand that I would prefer if they waited, but things happen. I want them to know that condoms are still an absolute must because of std's.

I hope they are never embarrassed to ask me for help, because being on birth control is such a better option than a baby at 15!
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    ...Better than your 12 year old daughter requesting it.

I was 15 when I asked my doctor if I could go on it (why worry my mother?) but it was solely to regulate my period.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Better safe than sorry. My daughter is 12 and we have a VERY open dialogue about sex (so open that I think I'm making look uncool - WIN!). If she asks for bc I will probably put her on Implanon because in my 20s even I couldn't be trusted to take the pill properly. I will still be stressing that condoms have to be used as well for stds.

But... my doctor put me on the pill at 15 because my cycles were very intense and it helped a lot. It had nothing to do with sexual activity.
  • PrincessGlitterTush
    Options
    There are other reasons for teenagers to be on the pill. I started it when I was in high school, and it wasn't because I was sexually active (because I wasn't...and still am not) it was because I had terrible acne and incredibly painful heavy irregular periods, the pill does a lot more than just protect you from getting pregnant.

AGREED.. I had to go on the pill too, when I was around 15 as my skin was quite bad. Maybe find out the reasoning behind it first. And if it is because she'd 'getting it on', then buy her condoms too. Can never be too safe
  • running_mom
    running_mom Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My daughter is only 7 but I can imagine that this situation will come up too quickly for me! I honestly would let her be on it. LIke a previous poster said it's better than coming home pregnant. She still needs to know certain things can still happen and she still needs to be responsible.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I had my daughter when I was 17. I was in total denial that "people like me" (upper middle class family, professional parents and grandparents, honor roll student, didn't drink or do drugs, etc.) didn't get pregnant in high school.

If my daughter felt she needed it, I would help her get it, while also talking about diseases and things like that so she would also use condoms and be smart about sex. You can't stop your kids from having sex if they want to do it, but you can assist them in making sure that one not-so-great decision doesn't impact the rest of their lives.

Agreed!
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who made a deal with her dad...if she would wait to have sex until she got married, he would buy her a new car. It worked too!!
  • kenyonsmom10
    kenyonsmom10 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would prefer my child to come to me and ask for the pill or condoms because I would much rather know that they are protected than come home pregnant. She is going to have sex whether on the pill or not most likely, so it is better to ensure she is protected. Make sure she simply knows that a condom is still needed, however! I was lucky to have a mom who listened to me when I asked for it and I was responsible.... Looking back I did have sex young, however at least I was protected and knew that a condom was needed. Luckily enough for me, I was dating the man I ended up marrying and now, 10 years later we have a 1 year old :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    What do you say?

I was at the doctors office yesterday and saw a similar situation. Made me wonder WTF I am going to do in 10 years! lol
    Tough one. Me personally, since I'm up front with clients, I would be up front then and there and ask my daughter if she's already had sex. If the reply is yes, then I get the birth control for her. At that point there's not much you can do, but ensure as much as possible that you're offering her protection. Of course I carry the conversation further and make sure that she did most of the talking and relay to her the consequences of irresponsible sex.

Then, I'd get my gun and show it to her boyfriend....................

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Jess05071981
    Jess05071981 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have had this situation happen to me first hand with my step daughter. I say if she is asking then YES. We live in a day and age where it is better to be protected from pregnancy then to just ignore the issue. Then I would also stress the importance of condoms due to STD's. The pill will not protect against those.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Rather have a 15 year old on birth control then a grand-kid for sure

I'd feel sad she needed it but glad she talked to me about it
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Not an ideal situation, but I prefer having my 15-year old on the pill than come home pregnant!
    Yep, I agree 100%. I know what I was doing at 15 and i was protected so i would hope every parent would rather protect there child then have to raise the consequenses.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My daughter was only-just-16 when I took her to the doctor to be put on the pill.
    She had been seeing her boyfriend for a while and I knew they'd probably start having sex soon. I was right.
    A year later she moved out and moved in with him. If she wasn't on the pill she'd probably be a mother by now.
    While she'd probably make a very good mother, she's only 18 and I'd rather she had the 'having fun years' that I didn't get because my mother wouldn't allow me to go on the pill and we had an 'accident'.
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I have a 15 year old daughter and thank God she has never asked me that! She has friends that are on birth control and are sexually active, but my daughter has a good head on her shoulders. She loves kids and in fact our 17 yr old neighbor boy has a 4 month old baby she just adores, but she has said many times that she is not ready for that. Peer pressure does not get to her...she has told numerous "boyfriends" who have wanted to make out to hit the door! But, if she ever did ask, I probably would put her on them.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have no kids yet, but I can honestly say that I would be glad that she came to me asking for birth control rather than going out and having sex and ending up pregnant. At least she is thinking ahead and being responsible about it.
  • ManicMelody
    Options
    Not an ideal situation, but I prefer having my 15-year old on the pill than come home pregnant!

This. I started having sex when I was 16, and I was scared ****less to tell my parents. I was smart about it and used condoms, but seriously, it's better to be open about it and have a daughter who is not pregnant than one who hides it from you, then comes home with a big surprise that YOU will be helping to take care of.
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    My two nieces were 15 & 16 when they started on birth control, they weren't sexually active at all. It eased their menstral cramps and cleared up their skin as well. It was actually recommended by their doctor to go on it. Was my sister happy about it, no not at first but it helped them. One of my nieces was so irregular that she wouldn't get her period for months, now it is on schedule, LOL. So it is not always because young girls are sexually active.
  • gentsevetzak
    gentsevetzak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am a parent and if my kid asked me for preservatives i'd be proud he's responsible enough to take his precautions.

Like it or not discovering your body is a part of growing up, and kids should be able to talk openly about it with their parents.

I really don't understand all the prudes that like to pretend like kids don't have sex, all you are going to end up with are STD-ridden teenage moms.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Since I have no daughter, I feel comfortable in saying this.

1) buy a gun
    2) invite her boyfriend over for dinner
    3) spend the entire night cleaning and checking the site
    4) overreact
    Good thing you don't have a daughter, then. That's an unrealistic and unhelpful attitude. She would end up getting pregnant because of unprotected sex.

Exactly. I cannot stress enough how important it is to have an open and honest relationship with your child about sex. I can tell you that every single one of my friends (and myself) who started BCP young and had an honest and open attitude towards discussing sex with their parents is so much better off for it. Those who didn't were the ones who got pregnant at age 16 because they had to sneak around and didn't take the proper precautions. Educate your child about these things, be there for them to ask advice....kids are going to have sex whether you like it or not--best to have them be safe and educated about it.