Drop fat and gain muscle!!! Newbies Read this.

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    Steroids
    Yeah that would do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I think I will give this a try. I like the 40/30/30 idea.

OK, so my TDEE is 2163 based on exercising 3-5 times a week (usually 5).
    If I subtract 20% for a calorie deficit that means my calories should be set at 1730 a day but that I should NOT eat back exercise calories. Correct?

My goal is to shed the last 10 pounds.

ETA: A little scary - MFP says I would gain weight at 1700 calories a day. I'm going to try it though...this 1200 calorie plus exercise calories thing isn't working well at an average of a pound loss per month.

Yes, this is (IMO) the correct formula for determining daily caloric needs. This is what I used. TDEE - 20% deficit. and it is working. Prior to that I was eating either too many or too few calories.
  • saabs80
    saabs80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Okay you guys no one has answered my question yet lol what is TDEE? I seen it on another site and thought it seemed pretty high.. I thought maybe i typed something in wrong.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    Okay you guys no one has answered my question yet lol what is TDEE? I seen it on another site and thought it seemed pretty high.. I thought maybe i typed something in wrong.

total daily energy expenditure
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

Yes, BMR is what your body burns just laying in bed all day basically, TDEE is an amount calculated to account for the amount you burn through your normal daily activities. MFP calculates your BMR from the age/height/etc that you put in your profile, then it calculates your TDEE based on the activity level you list in your profile. (people might have the same BMR based on their size/etc but if one is more active than the other, the more active person has a higher TDEE). For example my BMR is 1343 but my TDEE (set at sedentary activity) is calculated at about 1710.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    If you take a look at your responses I see a lot of bitterness that shows the exact opposite of that beautiful smile of yours.

That kind of stuff right there poisons any message you have to deliver.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    If you take a look at your responses I see a lot of bitterness that shows the exact opposite of that beautiful smile of yours.

Oh come on, he was obviously trying to give me a compliment...never mind that it came off as backhanded. ::whispers...I don't think he knows that that means::
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

A fancy term for the "calories out" side of the "calories in < calories out" equation.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    why is it everytime someone is on here and they post what works for them they get a lot of neg responses? I mean really, if it works for them why are you going to argue with them.. I get so sick of seeing all the negitivity you guys, i mean come on not every body is them same. I think if this worked for him great it may work for someone else. What worked for you may work for someone else or it may not... Why cant we be okay with what others are doing to lose weight as long as there not starving or doing things utterly unhealthy.

I agree with your point, but the OP didn't post "this is what works for me". It reads as "this is what will work for everyone". And in reading the responses, I appears that is what people have a problem with.
    Im just saying every time i read something like this i hear all the negitive things, it seems we are sll hear for the same reason. It just irritating to hear people act like know it alls. lol

Exactly. The OP's tone was "know-it-all" and we were responding to that. We are all on the same side here.

beating_a_dead_horseemoticon.gif

Oh, give it a rest....... :noway: gaah.gif
  • Marla64
    Options

:huh:
  • Marla64
    Options
    My info is from many sources.
    bodybuilding.com
    The flat Belly Diet
    The Abs Diet
    Feed the muscle burn the fat
    fitnessblackandwhite.com

I do use a lot of "!" dont I?!
    =D
    Passion!
    Off to work! Thanks for the replies gang and i'll be back in 12 hours!
    Hugs to you all!

Have a great day-- appreciate your positiveness -- wish it were infectious!!! :wink:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Exactly. The OP's tone was "know-it-all" and we were responding to that. We are all on the same side here.

And what was the point of entering a conversation three hours after it ended to do that?
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390140-what-is-bmr
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390142-what-is-tdee

devon_boyscout_salute_sm.jpg
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    why is it everytime someone is on here and they post what works for them they get a lot of neg responses? I mean really, if it works for them why are you going to argue with them.. I get so sick of seeing all the negitivity you guys, i mean come on not every body is them same. I think if this worked for him great it may work for someone else. What worked for you may work for someone else or it may not... Why cant we be okay with what others are doing to lose weight as long as there not starving or doing things utterly unhealthy.

I agree with your point, but the OP didn't post "this is what works for me". It reads as "this is what will work for everyone". And in reading the responses, I appears that is what people have a problem with.
    Im just saying every time i read something like this i hear all the negitive things, it seems we are sll hear for the same reason. It just irritating to hear people act like know it alls. lol

bahahahah....agreed. :tongue:
  • Marla64
    Options

bahahahah....agreed. :tongue:

:bigsmile:
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    LOL well thanks you guys, i at least got my question answered. lol
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    This is not a cookie cutter program gang!

BUT HERE'S A COOKIE CUTTER SOLUTION! wait, that's not what I meant...
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    THANKYOU!!! I feel great knowing I was actually doing somethign right or close to right. :) I've done what you said since starting on MFP 50 days ago and its worked wonders!
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Great information I'm glad this could help a lot of people out! I'm currently running a 40/40/20 (carb,pro,fat) myself.