Bob Harper was WRONG last night about Soy

Options
SHBoss1673
SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
About Soy.

I can't believe he went on and did a ringing endorsement of soy products. Without once mentioning the possible negative side effects of soy.

Facts about soy.

1) The soy US people eat contains protein that is largely indigestible for humans. Which means something that says it has say 20 g of protein but is largely soy, will not deliver anywhere near that much usable protein.

2) Soy contains isoflavones, which can block the release of iodine, which the thyroid uses for hormone production, which can cause all kinds of issues including, hair loss, skin problems, weight gain, and a whole host of other metabolic issues.

3) The American Heart Association (AHA) which previously endorsed the FDA's addition of Soy in 2000 to the "Heart Healthy" food products for lowering the chance of Coronary Artery Disease, has recently concluded it's own study on soy, and requested the FDA PULL soy from the list. The FDA has, as yet, failed to act on the recommendation by the country's leading expert foundation on the heart.

4) Soy was an industrial by product for a long time, the reason soy is so popular is because somewhere in the 1990s the soy production conglomerates got together and began a campaign to push it's use as a "heart healthy" food, using lobbyists and their own (biased) research to make their case. This is a clear case of big business manipulating the system to the detriment of the general public.

5) Soy is listed among the top 8 most allergic foods in the US.

6) Contrary to popular thought, the Japanese, do NOT eat more soy. They, in fact, use it as a garnish in most cases and eat very small amounts.

7) And scariest for men who are activly trying to have children or gain muscle mass; soy contains high amounts of phytoestrogen, which acts the same way as regular estrogen in the body. This both blocks testosterone production (one of the main hormones used for building muscle), and lowers sperm count among adult males.

I'm a little shocked that Bob would do this. Is he working off old data, or did the Soy conglomerates purchase add time on TBL and Bob sold out? I have been slightly disgusted here and there with TBL for some of their blatent advertising in the show, but I took it as harmless and "mostly true" but this one I can't just stand by and watch, I'm writing the show to complain. I hope you all will too.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    Options
    About Soy.

I can't believe he went on and did a ringing endorsement of soy products. Without once mentioning the possible negative side effects of soy.

Facts about soy.

1) The soy US people eat contains protein that is largely indigestible for humans. Which means something that says it has say 20 g of protein but is largely soy, will not deliver anywhere near that much usable protein.

2) Soy contains isoflavones, which can block the release of iodine, which the thyroid uses for hormone production, which can cause all kinds of issues including, hair loss, skin problems, weight gain, and a whole host of other metabolic issues.

3) The American Heart Association (AHA) which previously endorsed the FDA's addition of Soy in 2000 to the "Heart Healthy" food products for lowering the chance of Coronary Artery Disease, has recently concluded it's own study on soy, and requested the FDA PULL soy from the list. The FDA has, as yet, failed to act on the recommendation by the country's leading expert foundation on the heart.

4) Soy was an industrial by product for a long time, the reason soy is so popular is because somewhere in the 1990s the soy production conglomerates got together and began a campaign to push it's use as a "heart healthy" food, using lobbyists and their own (biased) research to make their case. This is a clear case of big business manipulating the system to the detriment of the general public.

6) Contrary to popular thought, the Japanese, do NOT eat more soy. They, in fact, use it as a garnish in most cases and eat very small amounts.

7) And scariest for men who are activly trying to have children or gain muscle mass; soy contains high amounts of phytoestrogen, which acts the same way as regular estrogen in the body. This both blocks testosterone production (one of the main hormones used for building muscle), and lowers sperm count among adult males.

I'm a little shocked that Bob would do this. Is he working off old data, or did the Soy conglomerates purchase add time on TBL and Bob sold out? I have been slightly disgusted here and there with TBL for some of their blatent advertising in the show, but I took it as harmless and "mostly true" but this one I can't just stand by and watch, I'm writing the show to complain. I hope you all will too.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    So what is your suggestion for people like me that live on Soy because I can't have dairy. I haven't been able to have it since I was a newborn and have been using soy products all my life.

158765.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Since when does the FDA give a fig? :laugh:

I've never heard this, though. Are the negative side effects for those who are not allergic very prominent?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    you had me a 'weight gain' :laugh:
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Ahahah I yelled at the TV! I do NOT support soy products AT ALL! :laugh:

I've heard it linked to breast cancer too, because of all the excess estrogen.:huh:
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Protein is protein, whether from soy or from meat. The issue is protein, here, not necessarily dairy v. soy. I have the same problem. Add in that I can't have anything with gluten and you can see a very restricted diet, of which soy is a greater part.

What I truly object to, though, is making it personal regarding the information both of these persons have given. While I find information valuable, it's not necessary to attack the person who has provided inaccurate information (probably working from old data). Certainly the info provided by this person was not provided for malicious reasons.

The information provided is quite valuable, but the rant truly is unnecessary, imo.

And on both sides, it is immaterial to people like us, who have no real alternatives when it comes to dairy v. soy. (actually, for us FEMALES, the info on estrogen is quite encouraging! LOL!)
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    So what is your suggestion for people like me that live on Soy because I can't have dairy. I haven't been able to have it since I was a newborn and have been using soy products all my life.

158765.png

you might want to confirm that you are truely lactose intolerant, or just COW milk intolerant. Many times, the allergy is mis-diagnosed as a lactose intolerance, when in fact, it's the type of protein that cows milk contains that they are truely intolerant of, and other types of milk would be ok. For instance goat's milk.

Besides that, there's no reason to HAVE to have milk, or other dairy. It's a good complete protein source, and good fat and vitamin source, but you can get those vitamins and protein in many other ways.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options

I've heard almond milk is delicious!
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options

Do you really mean you substitute everything with soy? :noway: I recently decided to turn from vegetarian to vegan, I have found so many recipes for cheese, milk, meatballs etc and none of them involve even a pinch of soy (I have read articles about it similar to the one Boss posted)... My suggestion would be type "vegan recipes" in google, life doesn't resolve around soy geez!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Protein is protein, whether from soy or from meat. The issue is protein, here, not necessarily dairy v. soy. I have the same problem. Add in that I can't have anything with gluten and you can see a very restricted diet, of which soy is a greater part.

What I truly object to, though, is making it personal regarding the information both of these persons have given. While I find information valuable, it's not necessary to attack the person who has provided inaccurate information (probably working from old data). Certainly the info provided by this person was not provided for malicious reasons.

The information provided is quite valuable, but the rant truly is unnecessary, imo.

And on both sides, it is immaterial to people like us, who have no real alternatives when it comes to dairy v. soy. (actually, for us FEMALES, the info on estrogen is quite encouraging! LOL!)

First, Protein is NOT protein. There are types of protein, including incomplete and complete proteins, or proteins containing all the essential amino acids, and others that need to be combined by eating different foods. I suggest you do some reading up on proteins and the human protein metabolism. Also, the way soy protein is delivered, much of it is bound together by phytic acid and starch, which the body can't break down, much like insoluable fiber, it can't be used by the body and thus passes through us unused. This has been documented in many studies. I can look some up if you like. I have them around. But you can easilly google soy protein and phytic acid and you'll get plenty of study results.

2nd, when you go on public television and display yourself as an expert in nutrition, you open yourself up to public scrutiny, Bob has done this, people take his words for fact on the subject of nutrition, this isn't a personal attack on him as a person, it's a critisism of his methods and facts, and a questioning of his overall knowledge on the subject. I stand by every word of it.
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I've heard almond milk is delicious!

almond milk is amazing and you can make milk out of pretty much every kind of nuts or mix them for various tastes, you can make your own healthy yoghurt out of each of these milks too, it's a bit time-taking if you do it on your own, or just buy whatever milks they sell

i live in the land of yoghurt and i absolutely loved cheese so if i can give them up everyone can live without them you know :tongue: i have read about many positive effects from it and believed this is good for me, so far all i can tell is the bad breath i used to get from diary products is gone... i'm pretty sure the calcium from the nut milk now gets to my bones rather than being extracted from them like what actually happens when you get it predominently from dairy
  • Vanessa1969
    Vanessa1969 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You have to take everything with a pinch of salt, even all those 'studies' done by the 'experts'. Every year new information becomes available that makes last years studies suspect.
    For every one thing wrong with soy, I could give you twenty things wrong with meat/dairy and yet the meat/dairy industry has been getting away with murder for decades with the marketing of their products. Their propaganda would make the Nazi's proud.
    Everything that you put into your mouth has negatives and positives, and everything that you consume should be in moderation - regardless of what it is.
    For those who eat a fair amount of soy, you should try and get it organically as much as possible. The top vegetables in the world which are sprayed horribly with pesticides, are corn and soy.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    The biggest problem with soy is that it messes with our endocrine system, especially the estrogens. There are even studies coming out tying high soy to increased breast cancer risks.
    I was really shocked to hear his endorsement because I just finished Jillian's book with the most recent studies/concerns/risks regarding high soy diet. She really cautions to work with your doctor especially when considering whether to give a baby soy formula.
    Just sharing what I have read and heard ~ been hearing these cautions for a couple years now, not just one study so I have chosen for me to avoid it. That's all any of us can do, listen and educate ourselves, decide what is right for ourselves.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am going to be the one to jump on the moderation soapbox again. We use soy, my son has a glass of soymilk daily, I have soynuts as snacks now and again. Yes much of what SHBoss posted is true, from a very scientific standpoint. Soy in moderation is fine, and does have some health benefits, particularly if you are looking at it as replacement for some other less nutritionally beneficial products. And for someone who is allergic to milk, and I would suspect someone having had avoided milk all their lives would know the difference between lactose intolerance and a true casien allergy, it is IMO a legitimate product to use in MODERATION, more for vitamins and minerals than protein as soy protein is not well utilized. Alot of the soy studies that kicked soy use into high gear used large amounts of soy on rats, as do many of the studies now debunking it as a wonder food. I have a degree in human nutrition, so I have some basis here, and waiting for one particular food to be the one 'wonderfood' is always going to be a problem. And I have to agree with you SHBOss, that having a personal trainer go on TV as a nutrition expert is not good, espeically when he is no doubt sponsered up the wazoo. Why I always encourage people to take advice with a grain of salt, and do research on thier own before coming to any conclusions. Ok, hopping of my soapbox now..whew..
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

158765.png

you might want to confirm that you are truely lactose intolerant, or just COW milk intolerant. Many times, the allergy is mis-diagnosed as a lactose intolerance, when in fact, it's the type of protein that cows milk contains that they are truely intolerant of, and other types of milk would be ok. For instance goat's milk.

Besides that, there's no reason to HAVE to have milk, or other dairy. It's a good complete protein source, and good fat and vitamin source, but you can get those vitamins and protein in many other ways.

I have no problem making up protein in a day, and most days I don't drink milk. But I have a hard time finding good sources of calcium. I have had the lactose intolerance checked at several points in my life and it is indeed the case. However, with lactaid pills I do eat small amounts of dairy products.

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately I no longer work as a pharmaceutical chemist, but in inorganic chemistry now. Otherwise I would be able to test it myself.

Have a good day.
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    You have to take everything with a pinch of salt, even all those 'studies' done by the 'experts'. Every year new information becomes available that makes last years studies suspect.
    For every one thing wrong with soy, I could give you twenty things wrong with meat/dairy and yet the meat/dairy industry has been getting away with murder for decades with the marketing of their products. Their propaganda would make the Nazi's proud.
    Everything that you put into your mouth has negatives and positives, and everything that you consume should be in moderation - regardless of what it is.
    For those who eat a fair amount of soy, you should try and get it organically as much as possible. The top vegetables in the world which are sprayed horribly with pesticides, are corn and soy.

im with you on that one... ive heard just as much bad then good info on the soy subject. im a vegetarian and soy protein is a good part of my diet (though i know too much of 1 thing is not good so i vary as much as i can) i know the dairy industry is just as divided and as per meat, i just wont eat it. there is so many eggs you can eat.
    i also have my own opinion of the fda....or the goverment
    and bob harper is just the result of all that ...
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options

158765.png

I have no problem making up protein in a day, and most days I don't drink milk. But I have a hard time finding good sources of calcium. I have had the lactose intolerance checked at several points in my life and it is indeed the case. However, with lactaid pills I do eat small amounts of dairy products.

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately I no longer work as a pharmaceutical chemist, but in inorganic chemistry now. Otherwise I would be able to test it myself.

Have a good day.

Have you tried the lactose free milk? My mom drinks it and uses it in all of her cooking when milk is called for. She loved milk and was so glad to find this when she could no longer tolerate lactose.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I avoid soy - it's a great natural estrogen for ladies but since my breast cancer was estrogen fed and I take a estogen blocker now, I'll skip it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    It didnt surprise me but it does piss me off.

And big Ron the dad? he thought olive oil has trans fat in it. After months on the show he doesnt know about that? The show should be ashamed he was so stupid

The misinformation on such a show is just absurd and is dangerous.

I have long been a foe of soy. It is not for men period and women should not rely on it for protein.

Calling soy protein the same as any other protein is another indication of how much wrong information is out there and sadly in here

The blind emphasis on calorie amounts and not on calorie quality is also driving me crazy.

Yet another thread this morning glorifying skinny cow becuase it is low calorie. Skinny cow (not the laughing cow) is chemical junk. But....since it is low cal...the blind masses are buying in bulk
  • aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Options
    About Soy.

Facts about soy.

Would you mind citing your resources as well as the list of the most allergenic foods, many of which are common and healthy? I think it's only fair to allow everyone to come to their own conclusions about the data. Eating a diet very high in soy, or anything else, can have harmful side effects, as can taking too many vitamins.

I should add, I am not advocating, just asking that others read for themselves. Small amounts of soy can be helpful for some, harmful for others.