The Over 300 Club

Options

Replies

• aur23a
    aur23a Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I'd like to join in on this thread. I've been on MFP for about 2 weeks now and have really found it helpful and so encouraging. I want to be around people who know what it’s like to be my weight and that are supportive. Thanks for creating this thread and to all that contribute to it!:flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    That is exactly it. I used to be afraid food but also use it as comfort if that makes sense.

I used to fall into the "fat-free" trap. And would deprive myself of certain things. As soon as I realized that it isn't FAT that makes us overweight....but more eating too much of ANYTHING, I started to eat it again, and life has been great since!! :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, I would stick to only chicken breast, etc.....and started eating THIGHS again....YUMMY with bbq sauce. I eat avocado and 2% cheese (instead of gross fat-free haha)

I just eat normal portions now!!

And looking at food as fuel is a great tool as well. When you see how great you feel eating certain things, it makes you want to eat them more often.

All in all is food is there to nourish us....and it can be satisfying at the same time. :flowerforyou:
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Tam, thanks again! It sounds like its our relationship to food that needs to change. Those bizarre cycles of depriving ourselves and then giving in because we were starving and eating everything in sight. And then going to find more! :noway: Thanks so much for sharing. Keep it up!

aur23a, welcome! Its so good to have you with us! I hope you will find members of this thread as supportive and helpful as I do! good luck on your journey! We are all here for you!
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    Hello friends!

I guess some of you may have read what my family and I are going thru. For those who don't know, my dad has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. It started in his kidneys and spread upwards to every organ you can think of. Including his stomach, lungs, heart, esophagus ect.. He is only 58 years old and has been given 18 months to live. I am heart broken, angry, sad and worried, as any daddy's girl would be. What's worse is I live in a different country and am finding it hard to get home.

I'm finding it hard to eat anything without feeling/being sick. Hubby and I are trying to make plans to get away and be able to let our son spend some time with his Papaw so he can know him before his health is deteriorated completely. When we got the call that he was sick with double pneumonia of course I was worried. Then 2 days later we get the call saying he has lung and stomach cancer. Yesterday we got the call that changed all of that. I never once thought he wouldn't be okay. That's my daddy, so of course he was gonna be fine. He'd have treatment, nothing to worry about, we'd make it through this.

Apparently the type of cancer it is, even if they had caught it at stage 1 it wouldn't have made a difference. It doesn't respond to chemo or radiation. I'm losing my daddy and I am not ready to give him up :brokenheart: The cancer is in stage 4 and they are just working to make him comfortable.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
  • stillkristi
    Options
    :brokenheart: Oh my dear, that is so hard! :brokenheart:

I wish I had more to offer. All I have is my concern, my loving support, and my prayers. I pray you will make those travel arrangements and get to be with your dad soon. I pray you will take comfort and solace in your family and friends at this time.

Know you are loved here, and we want to be helpful if we can. Check in when you are able. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

:heart: Kristi :heart:
  • stillkristi
    Options
    Hi, team -

I thought I would post this story written by starteam144 in the Torture of Food Addiction thread. I think its pretty inspiring. Here ya go!

I have overcome one of the biggest challenges I have personally ever faced... Food Addiction. Just like a drug I used food to comfort my self. I needed to constantly be around food and the mental compulsion to over eat was ruining my life.

I am grateful to God, my church family, my wonderful co workers, the staff at lifeskills 411 and of course the fellows and sponsors of Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous for my life changing transformation from 335 lbs... to 223... YEP 112 weight loss...

When you cant control what you eat... when you cant say no to a particular food, when you eat more than you should you very well may have a problem with food.

For me Ioved to eat. I loved to sit in front of the TV and binge on everything I can... first a big dinner full of comfort food, pot roast, potatoes, of course some veggies so its healthy... then some dessert... cake or ice cream, add some candy, chips, crackers, popcorn, a starbucks and on and on and on I go. Over eating to the point of feeling absolutely stuffed.

I never wanted to get out of my chair... I just wanted to eat and be alone. Its a common coping mechanism and many people eat when they are stressed or lonely and need some comfort but over eating makes you fat and being fat can ruin your life... with relationships and your career.

Any way...

I know I ate because that is what I was taught to do by my parents. When they would get in a fight and make up they took us out for a treat, candy, pizza, ice cream or some drive through fast food items.

I always ordered 4 tacos... 2 burgers... shakes and wanted more and more... now I know when I have an emotional issue going on or I need some attention... ask for it... "I need a hug", "I need some attention". Its ok to ask for love and attention. We all need it...Dogs beg like crazy for a pat or some attention yet we are embarassed... why? Conditioning...pride...shame.

I say get rid of that.

We all have a right to be loved...

Food addiction is a silent torture for many lonely women and they may be alone because of their weight and also because of self esteem or other emotional issues. Food Addicts in Recovery was a big help for me in dealing with the compulsion with food and in my weight loss. CODA Co Dependents ....helped me deal with not being co dependent in a relationship and smother who I am or what I need...

Lifeskills 411 helped me learn the skills to live life...

And my wonderful church, co workers, family and friends helped me learn to accept their love and accept myself.

To the many who have loved and cared about me... both men and women... I love you.

And Thank you so much for caring.

Julie
  • MPJS
    MPJS Posts: 465
    Options
    Hi I started on thursday so this is my first post. I am in the 300 club and over. Too much over I can't I would never tell any my real weight so that is why I have no tracker . Stillkristi I wanted to thank you for posting that letter I needed that. sooo bad it really fits me. Thank you and congrats on your weight loss
  • stillkristi
    Options
    Welcome to the thread! I think you will find this group of people very supportive and helpful. There are some, like TamTastic, AmyNVegas, and msarro that have already lost a lot of weight. Some of us are pretty solid on the path to losing weight, and others have just started. Doesn't matter where we are, we are all in this together! Good luck, farrellm! :happy:
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    Hi farrellm, and welcome. I'm sure you will find loads of support and friendship here. Not just with weight-loss issues but everyday life issues as well. :flowerforyou:
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    :brokenheart: Oh my dear, that is so hard! :brokenheart:

I wish I had more to offer. All I have is my concern, my loving support, and my prayers. I pray you will make those travel arrangements and get to be with your dad soon. I pray you will take comfort and solace in your family and friends at this time.

Know you are loved here, and we want to be helpful if we can. Check in when you are able. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

:heart: Kristi :heart:

Thank you Kristi, I appreciate it. My sister is trying to help me get home. So hopefully soon I will be able to see my dad.
  • stillkristi
    Options
    Hi, everyone - just checking in on a rainy Sunday afternoon. I wanted to share the success story of tamishumate, one of our MFP friends who is celebrating the loss of 90 lbs. On that thread, someone asked her the following question:

Wow, that is amazing! Way to go!!! Any suggestions/recipes for success for those of us who need to get where you are? Keep up the great work! I'm so happy for you!!!

Here is her response:

the only suggestion I have is : MAKE NO EXCUSE! You need to MAKE the time to exercise, cause you do have it , You need to stop making the " I cant do it" excuse, cause you can DO IT, you need to start thinking you are worth it, cause you ARE.. once you do that, on a DAILY basis, it will all come into play... You DO have the time, You CAN do it, and you are WORTH it!

weight_lifting.gif

We can do this. Let's just keep the end in mind and stay focused!
  • MPJS
    Options
    does everyone think it is improtant to eat breakfast I have alway's skipped it But I have been told that it is so improtant . What does everyone think.
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, One of your members invited me to join your group. Thanks Kristi ! :smile: My name is Cindy. Check out my profile page to learn more about me. I look forward to getting to know everyone. I am serious about losing my weight and this new healthy lifestyle. :smile: Have a great night everyone. :heart: Cindy :heart:
  • stillkristi
    Options
    Hey, CIndy good to see you! You've come to the right place! Hey, I never noticed your ticker before. WTG! 29 lbs is great! Talk to you soon. I know you will enjoy it here.
    does everyone think it is improtant to eat breakfast I have alway's skipped it But I have been told that it is so improtant . What does everyone think.

Breakfast is super important, for a lot of reasons. FIrst, just in terms of statistics, breakfast skippers are much more likely to be overweight than non skippers. Next, one of the best ways to get your metabolism ramped up is to eat within the first half hour after you get up. So, thats pretty important. Next, after you have fasted all night, you have to eat to let your body know that fuel is on the way (this is part of increasing the temp. of your metabilism). That way, your body can feel comfortable releasing stored fat to use for fuel. WIthout the incoming fuel, your body continues to hang on to stored fat, sometimes even burning muscle instead. Indeed, your body needs to be fueled every 2 to 3 waking hours in order to be as efficient as possible at burning fat. Finally, and this is really part of that statistical issue mentioned at the beginning, if you skip meals and eat once or twice in the day, you are much more likely to be a night time binger. So, EAT BREAKFAST! There is a lot of good information here on MFP about this subject. My post is pretty elementary. There are those on the site that can explain the science very well.
  • MPJS
    Options
    Stillkristi thank you I never know that about breakfast. I had no clue thank you
  • stillkristi
    Options
    Stillkristi thank you I never know that about breakfast. I had no clue thank you

You're welcome. Here are a few articles you might want to read about breakfast.

http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/abstract/22/4/296
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WB2-4S92TG7-1&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=8fe06960791209a1eb5f2c1c03ed63ef
    http://www.beyondthebend.com/health/breakfast.htm

the first two are scholarly, the last one is in more plain language and is not scholarly.
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    Hi everyone, Today is shaping up to be a great day. I woke up at 6 am and walked 2 miles in 33 minutes. I watch an 18 month old little boy that gets to my home at 7.30 am so I want to get my first workout of the day before he gets here. I will also walk 2 miles tonight with my husband. I walk 4 miles a day one day and the next I do Lesley Sansones WATP 3 mile workout and walk 2 miles at night. I workout 6 days a week. I already logged all my food for the day and I'm within my calorie allotment. I do not eat my exercise calories back. I will drink 1 gallon of h2o today . I hope everyone else is having a great day too. :smile: :heart: Cindy :heart:
  • YankeesGirl
    YankeesGirl Posts: 1,359
    Options
    Wow Cindy - now I feel lazy!!! You have an amazing workout schedule!!!
  • aur23a
    aur23a Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Cindy, thats awesome!! Great Job.
    I am so enjoying everyone on this thread!!
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    :heart: thanks so much guys :heart: I love exercise ! It makes me so happy to beat my time when doing my miles. :smile: Cindy :heart: