Could you eat McDonalds as part of a healthy diet?

Options

Replies

• Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff: there is no proof that it is good for your health to incorperate McD into your diet either...
    Tell that to a starving child or someone on low income. Eating any food is better than no food at all. Also there have been a few people who have ate nothing but junk food, lost weight and had cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure lowered. Look up the nutrition professor who ate Twinkies and Fathead on Netflix.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

"Until the naysayers come up with an equally tempting and affordable alternative, maybe they should hold off pontificating about what may well be the most widely consumed entree in history." Barry Glassner, The Gospel of Food

The disscussion in this thread is about whether or not McDonalds food is a healthy choice. The consensus is NO.. it is not a healthy choice. Again ... No one can claim otherwise.

Of course, you can eat the food .. It's a free country...but after reading the ingredients published by McDonald's themselves, the foods are high in calories, fat, sodium etc etc etc. We all know and understand what that kind of food can do to the body if consumed on a regular basis.

High in calories and fat means more energy for me?
    I'm not here to praise fast food or bury it, just questioning it's easy portrayal as the root of all evil.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    @ninerbuff: there is no proof that it is good for your health to incorperate McD into your diet either...
    Tell that to a starving child or someone on low income. Eating any food is better than no food at all. Also there have been a few people who have ate nothing but junk food, lost weight and had cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure lowered. Look up the nutrition professor who ate Twinkies and Fathead on Netflix.

IDEA Fitness member

"Until the naysayers come up with an equally tempting and affordable alternative, maybe they should hold off pontificating about what may well be the most widely consumed entree in history." Barry Glassner, The Gospel of Food

The disscussion in this thread is about whether or not McDonalds food is a healthy choice. The consensus is NO.. it is not a healthy choice. Again ... No one can claim otherwise.

Of course, you can eat the food .. It's a free country...but after reading the ingredients published by McDonald's themselves, the foods are high in calories, fat, sodium etc etc etc. We all know and understand what that kind of food can do to the body if consumed on a regular basis.

High in calories and fat means more energy for me?
    I'm not here to praise fast food or bury it, just questioning it's easy portrayal as the root of all evil.

And the sodium and all the other 'trates' of one kind or another? Are you suggesting your body miraculously dispells them too? There are other healthier choices for high energy that are not laiden with these ingredients.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

And the sodium and all the other 'trates' of one kind or another? Are you suggesting your body miraculously dispells them too? There are other healthier choices for high energy that are not laiden with these ingredients.

sodium isn't a big deal unless you already suffer from hypertension. and ooooo nitrates? green leafy veggies are full of those
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    And the sodium and all the other 'trates' of one kind or another? Are you suggesting your body miraculously dispells them too?

My body, liver and kidneys work quite well. Thank you for your concern. :smile:
  • mrsxbrightside
    Options
    Getting rid of fast food was the best thing to ever happen to me. I'm sorry, but I can't see how anyone can live off this junk for 30 days. When I first started losing weight, I remember getting something from McD's after I had lost about 30lbs. and getting so sick from it. Just the smell of it digusted me. There are so many extras that are put into food like this, it just isn't healthy. Chili's used to be one of my favorite sit-in restaurants. I haven't been there in about a year. My body is no longer used to fast food, and I have no tolerance for it. Prior to my weight loss (I dropped 60lbs before starting MFP, 65 more to go here!) I was eating fast food & food from out every other day. I worked at a doctor's office, and we ordered take out many times for lunch. One of the first things I noticed when I gave it all up is how much better I felt - there is nothing good to come from fast food, not even salads from fast food places because that just leaves the door open for a sweet tea that I don't need, or a cookie, or an ice cream... to each their own, but giving up fast food has been one of the best decisions I have ever made.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

Consensus isn't trumped by actual scientific proof. The consensus is that if you eat fast food, you'll get fat and unhealthy. I and MANY MANY others can refute that it's untrue based on ourselves eating it. If you get in your daily essentials, stay within your calorie limits and get in some good exercise, their isn't any reason(unless you are predisposed to disease) you couldn't have fast food everyday and still be healthy.

IDEA Fitness member
  • livnlite
    Options
    And the sodium and all the other 'trates' of one kind or another? Are you suggesting your body miraculously dispells them too?

My body, liver and kidneys work quite well. Thank you for your concern. :smile:

Glad to hear it. Please don't ever assume that all is fine just because you feel fine. Regular checkups with your doctor could detect thngs like high colesterol, heart disease, etc. Early detection may save your life someday. You have a few other factors like genetics that may be secretly working for you AND against you.

I am not saying healthy choices are the ONLY way to go .. just A way. We all have choices to make. The older you get, you find what works for you now, won't work for you later .. and consequences of choices we make now may not appear until later in life. Sucks getting old .. I can tell you THAT for free!
  • ninerbuff
    Options

"Regular Basis" was a poor choice of words .. try this instead ...
    Often .. daily ... more than occassional..makes up a majority of one's diet.
    Again it's already been done. And the person who did it had lower cholesterol, lower triglycerides and lower body fat after doing it for a month.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I eat beef jerky DAILY. Way high in nitrates and sodium. There's more in there per ounce than any fast food. Where's the proof? Where are the clinical studies showing that they are making people unhealthy? Sodium can be countered with potassium and water. Eat a banana and drink some water. Nitrites and nitrates need to be in very, very, very high concentrations to be toxic, which aren't even close in foods.
    What you say may make sense, but having it scientifically studied and tested is another.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Getting rid of fast food was the best thing to ever happen to me. I'm sorry, but I can't see how anyone can live off this junk for 30 days. When I first started losing weight, I remember getting something from McD's after I had lost about 30lbs. and getting so sick from it. Just the smell of it digusted me. There are so many extras that are put into food like this, it just isn't healthy. Chili's used to be one of my favorite sit-in restaurants. I haven't been there in about a year. My body is no longer used to fast food, and I have no tolerance for it. Prior to my weight loss (I dropped 60lbs before starting MFP, 65 more to go here!) I was eating fast food & food from out every other day. I worked at a doctor's office, and we ordered take out many times for lunch. One of the first things I noticed when I gave it all up is how much better I felt - there is nothing good to come from fast food, not even salads from fast food places because that just leaves the door open for a sweet tea that I don't need, or a cookie, or an ice cream... to each their own, but giving up fast food has been one of the best decisions I have ever made.
    Keeping it in has been great for me. And looking at me (and many others here who indulge in it) how could you tell if we consume it or not? I like the taste and enjoy having it once or twice a week. It can be part of a healthy lifestyle is the point. If you don't like it, then don't eat it. Those that can handle the calories and counter them with activity will still eat it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • livnlite
    Options

Consensus isn't trumped by actual scientific proof. The consensus is that if you eat fast food, you'll get fat and unhealthy. I and MANY MANY others can refute that it's untrue based on ourselves eating it. If you get in your daily essentials, stay within your calorie limits and get in some good exercise, their isn't any reason(unless you are predisposed to disease) you couldn't have fast food everyday and still be healthy.

IDEA Fitness member

Not exactly .. I think the consensus is more realistic than that .. It's more like .. If you eat fast food to access, you'll increase your chances of becoming fat and unhealthy. There is no ONE rule that applies to absolutely everyone. We are talking about the majority of the population, not anyone particular individual.

By simply saying if you stay within your caloric intake limit and take in recommended daily nutrients, are you suggesting that it would be ok for someone to have a diet of, say ... a couple of burgers (high in fat, sodium and nitrates) and vitamin supplements? It would be within the criteria you mentioned. Is that what YOU would recommend?

I'm not sure if I understand why you are defending McDonald's foods which are clearly high in a number of ingredients that if taken on a daily basis would increase the risks of heart disease, and a number of other ailments when the sheer caloric intake of one hamburger would significantly decrease the 'room' for any other types of better quality foods...just from a caloric perspective.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Glad to hear it. Please don't ever assume that all is fine just because you feel fine. Regular checkups with your doctor could detect thngs like high colesterol, heart disease, etc. Early detection may save your life someday. You have a few other factors like genetics that may be secretly working for you AND against you.

I am not saying healthy choices are the ONLY way to go .. just A way. We all have choices to make. The older you get, you find what works for you now, won't work for you later .. and consequences of choices we make now may not appear until later in life. Sucks getting old .. I can tell you THAT for free!
    I don't. I have regular physicals every year. No problems. EVER. I'm as fit as a male in their late 20's. At 47, that's great and I know that if I keep up what I am doing, that at 60, I'll still be doing it right.

IDEA Fitness member
  • livnlite
    Options

I don't. I have regular physicals every year. No problems. EVER. I'm as fit as a male in their late 20's. At 47, that's great and I know that if I keep up what I am doing, that at 60, I'll still be doing it right.

IDEA Fitness member

Are you suggesting what works for you should work for everyone?

You say you eat junk food occassionally, and you obviously counter balance those choices with others .. The discussion on this whole thread is about the quality of the food .. I'm not sure we are even discussing the same thing.

If you think McDonalds food is such good quality, are you suggesting is ok to eat it daily, multiple times a day?
  • wildcata77
    Options
    I'm not even going to bother reading whatever super-uptight responses probably popped up in this thread.

However...McDonald's does have some pretty decent salads...if you get the Southwest chicken salad grilled, leave off the tortilla strips, and don't use dressing (the chicken itself is dressed enough) it's a reasonable and healthy meal.

Also, Ronald McDonald House is a FANTASTIC organization, and if any of you could even bear the thought of having a sick child in a hospital 100 miles from home and wonder how the hell you can support them and be nearby w/o spending a fortune on hotel costs, you could imagine what a huge service they do for families of sick kids. For those of you that do eat McD's, I encourage you to do what I do and empty your wallet/car of change every time you go through the drive through. Hopefully the car behind you will see it and remember to do it, too. If we all contributed just our spare change to their fund, it's amazing how fast it adds up.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Not exactly .. I think the consensus is more realistic than that .. It's more like .. If you eat fast food to access, you'll increase your chances of becoming fat and unhealthy. There is no ONE rule that applies to absolutely everyone. We are talking about the majority of the population, not anyone particular individual.
    Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism has done studies on calorie excess and regardless if food is healthy or not, YOU'LL GET FAT.
    By simply saying if you stay within your caloric intake limit and take in recommended daily nutrients, are you suggesting that it would be ok for someone to have a diet of, say ... a couple of burgers (high in fat, sodium and nitrates) and vitamin supplements? It would be within the criteria you mentioned. Is that what YOU would recommend?
    No, I stated that IF you got in your essentials (protein and good fats, along with minerals and vitamins) that whatever you consumed along with that and staying within calorie limits, you should be fine. I didn't mention supplements.
    I'm not sure if I understand why you are defending McDonald's foods which are clearly high in a number of ingredients that if taken on a daily basis would increase the risks of heart disease, and a number of other ailments when the sheer caloric intake of one hamburger would significantly decrease the 'room' for any other types of better quality foods...just from a caloric perspective.
    Because the fast food bashers usually don't have really any idea of what health is. You can eat healthy food and be overweight and increase your risk of heart disease, stroke, etc. Why do I defend them? Because I like their food and like that they (unlike many RICH corporations) actually give back to the community. For people who don't know how to count calories or eat within limits, it doesn't matter what food you eat. The South certainly isn't gorging on McDonald's to have the highest obesity rates among all states. I'm betting it has more to do with all the "home made" cooking they are doing.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

As I stated in an earlier post, if you aren't predisposed to disease due to genetic factors, if you stay within calorie limits and have a good exercise routine, you shouldn't have an issue. If you are predisposed to disease and don't exercise or don't adhere to your calorie limits, then it won't work.
    You say you eat junk food occassionally, and you obviously counter balance those choices with others .. The discussion on this whole thread is about the quality of the food .. I'm not sure we are even discussing the same thing.
    Probably 80% of what I eat is "processed" food. Even the meat I buy from the supermarket is processed along with the wheat bread, cereal, oatmeal, Protein shakes, etc.
    Unless you're growing your own food and killing your own livestock, chances are you are still eating food that's processed one way or another.
    The OP's thread asks if you can have Mcdonald's as part of a healthy diet. The answer (and even nutritionists and dieticians will admit it) that yes you can IF you know how to moderate it in your life.

If you think McDonalds food is such good quality, are you suggesting is ok to eat it daily, multiple times a day?
    [/quote]
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm not even going to bother reading whatever super-uptight responses probably popped up in this thread.

However...McDonald's does have some pretty decent salads...if you get the Southwest chicken salad grilled, leave off the tortilla strips, and don't use dressing (the chicken itself is dressed enough) it's a reasonable and healthy meal.

Also, Ronald McDonald House is a FANTASTIC organization, and if any of you could even bear the thought of having a sick child in a hospital 100 miles from home and wonder how the hell you can support them and be nearby w/o spending a fortune on hotel costs, you could imagine what a huge service they do for families of sick kids. For those of you that do eat McD's, I encourage you to do what I do and empty your wallet/car of change every time you go through the drive through. Hopefully the car behind you will see it and remember to do it, too. If we all contributed just our spare change to their fund, it's amazing how fast it adds up.
    Ronald McDonald House really is great for the community. I've witnessed a few stories of how children and families survived some really life threatening episodes with their help. People take their own health for granted and if they had to experience some of the things that these kids go through, they might contribute even more to the cause. I staunchly support McDonald's just for Ronald McDonald House alone. But their cheeseburgers aren't bad either.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options

SOOOO QUOTE WORTHY! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the exact response I was looking for and boy were you right. You read the intent of my title and I so appreciate it! Love your wisdom! She did a great thing to support and encourage the good will of McDonalds through her gift of marathon running in honer of her brother who died of brain cancer at 13. I am extremely proud of her and hope for more people with her character and integrity in this world. I just wanted to share her compassionate story with the rest of you great MFP peeps. Thank you for taking the time(for those of you that did) to read the intention of the title in my post. Be blessed and live on as shining lights of hope to those around you. You are greatness waiting to happen.
  • livnlite
    Options

As I stated in an earlier post, if you aren't predisposed to disease due to genetic factors, if you stay within calorie limits and have a good exercise routine, you shouldn't have an issue. If you are predisposed to disease and don't exercise or don't adhere to your calorie limits, then it won't work.
    You say you eat junk food occasionally, and you obviously counter balance those choices with others .. The discussion on this whole thread is about the quality of the food .. I'm not sure we are even discussing the same thing.
    Probably 80% of what I eat is "processed" food. Even the meat I buy from the supermarket is processed along with the wheat bread, cereal, oatmeal, Protein shakes, etc.
    Unless you're growing your own food and killing your own livestock, chances are you are still eating food that's processed one way or another.
    The OP's thread asks if you can have Mcdonald's as part of a healthy diet. The answer (and even nutritionists and dieticians will admit it) that yes you can IF you know how to moderate it in your life.

[/quote]

You have mentioned a few times " if you stay within calorie limits and have a good exercise routine, you shouldn't have an issue" . I think your 'message' is a little unclear..at least it is to me. Are you saying it's ok to eat nothing but chocolate bars, pop and chips, not to mention fast food, as long as it is within a suggested caloric limit? Is that your idea of advising someone to lose weight .. and further keep healthy? Is that why this continent is riddled with obesity issues ... because people haven't been consuming the wrong kinds of foods .. just too much of it?

MY message is about the connection between what we eat and the difference between THAT and two things (1) Losing weight (2) Increasing the level of 'health' .. One is not dependant upon the other.

Even very thin people can be unhealthy.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I think this depends on your definition of healthy.

For me, moderation is healthy. You should of course aim to eat more fruits and vegetables as well as a healthy consumption of protein and carbohydrates. With that being said, if you ate at McDonald's regularly (staying under your calorie goal) and being sure to get your proper macro intake each day, it shouldn't be a problem. For all we know, that mcdonalds once a day could be the only thing keeping you sane on your weight loss journey !