Lost 14 pounds since Tuesday juicing!!!!

Options

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options

"not healthy." How about not possible. Fourteen pounds in five days? So... a magic drink caused a calorie burn of nearly 50,000 calories? I don't think so.

Now a 14 pound weight loss from dehydration, that's entirely possible.

AND.. this isn't a jump start. It's simply another waste of time money and health.

^ Yes, mathematically speaking this is highly unlikely. You would need to have a calorie deficit of 9800 calories per day.

ninerbuff - who said this...
    Just temporary water loss with minimal fat loss. Liquid "diets" are temporary. Eating solid foods will put weight back on. Seen it a thousand times.
    I see a thread like this every so often then the people that did it are no longer active after they stop. Wonder why.

...is correct.

That being said, I'm sure your thrilled with your loss but coming to a fitness site with fad diets is always going to cause controversy.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You cannot reboot a metabolism in 3 days. That would be fantastic.
    I did the reboot, that's what kickstarted my weight loss! Now I drink juice for breakfast everyday. It's definitely a great way to reboot your system, get all the micronutrients in and feel great. I just can't do it all the time like Joe and Phil did. Great job though, it really has changed my life and the way I look at food.
  • dia705
    dia705 Posts: 43
    Options
    I would say let us know how it goes once you've been eating food for a few weeks again...many times temporary changes result in temporary loss, hopefully this isn't the case for you, congrats on the loss :flowerforyou:
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! Even when you are done with your juice fast, you now know that your willpower and self-control are intact and you will be more than ready for a lifetime of conscious, healthy eating. Consider it a great jumpstart :)
  • dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Possibly the most frustrating thread Ive ever read on this website. Jason Vale ie The JuiceMaster, has many books. One book is called 7 lbs in 7 days. His idea is not NOT about fasting for a quick weight loss etc. I hate the way people jump in with opinions criticising things they know nothing about. Its supposed to be used as a launch pad to clear toxins out from the system and caffeine etc, so that people feel motivated to starting their weightloss journey. One of his books called Turbo Charge your Life in 14 days, is more to motivate people in weight loss and life in general, with juicing included. IE He discusses the many excuses people use, and why etc etc.

He also states that one should only use this 7lbs in 7 days as a week long stint only and no longer, and then to introduce fish chicken sweet potatoe etc afterwards.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Fasting for a short period of time is fine, but juicing is just another fad diet. Liquid diets usually show lots of weight loss since it's not usually calorie dense. Back to the basic calories in and calories out.

Food choices and portion are what make the difference. You could lose weight efficiently if you just ate balanced macronutrients and stay in calorie deficit.

But of course all that really matters is losing weight as fast a possible to most females regardless of some of the side effects.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    sometimes i wonder.. do you people post **** like this JUST to get a rise out of a **** ton of people who act as other peoples nutritionists.
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    oh and thats all water weight probably the minute you eat real food you'll gain like 5 lbs.
  • tahoemads
    tahoemads Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I did the same fast a year ago and I lost quite a bit of weight in 2 weeks. I never gained anything back, until a few months later when I was pregnant with my 3rd child. :) I also had my healthiest pregnancy and wasn't sick at all, unlike my previous pregnancy just a year before when I was sick the entire time. The fasting may not have had anything to do with it but I know I was healthier after it!

I would strongly recommend watching Forks Over Knives for those posting who believe eating mostly fruit and vegetables is unhealthy.:)

Nobody is arguing that eating only fruits and vegetables is unhealthy. I'm a vegetarian and think that all people should eat is fruits and veggies. Juicing, where you only eat the juice of said fruits is what sounds unhealthy as you're nto eating anything sustainable.

Here's what the Mayo Clinic has to say via Wikipedia: "The Mayo Clinic has responded to several of these claims by noting that the effects of drinking juice can be helpful, benign, or, at worst, counter-productive (depending on a person's motivation). Its main conclusion is that there is no scientifically-based advantage of juicing over simply consuming a fruit or vegetable in its original form and by showing that, at best, these claims are derived from research based on eating fruits and vegetables, not drinking them. The Mayo Clinic (and some juicing proponents such as Joe Cross) advise potential "juicers" to speak with their primary medical providers before beginning any type of short or long term juicing program."

If you're a person who has done research on juicing, struggled with chronic illnesses, and worked with Naturopath MDs (who look at how your internal systems work together and use prescriptions as a last resort) the Mayo Clinic is not going to be your primary resource of wisdom on this subject. Just saying, from someone who juiced 7 days for a skin disorder (which cleared it up, by the way).
  • furekurss
    Options
    dat der cell tech will do wonders
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Well no matter what others say bout the subject I say congrates and I hope you are able to maintain the loss. I've tried but failed so many times just to incorparte juicing into my diet just once a day. but the hassels of cleaning up the juicer was just too much for me.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    If you're a person who has done research on juicing, struggled with chronic illnesses, and worked with Naturopath MDs (who look at how your internal systems work together and use prescriptions as a last resort) the Mayo Clinic is not going to be your primary resource of wisdom on this subject. Just saying, from someone who juiced 7 days for a skin disorder (which cleared it up, by the way).

Mayo Clinic = one of the top 5 hospitals in the country for the last two decades, 400+ doctoral level physicians and researchers that see over 1 million patients a year, run 8,000 clinical trials at any given time and produced over 5,000 peer-reviewed publications in 2010. Nope, no reason to believe anything they say when you can do your own "research".
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    yeah! so excited for you! The fat, sick and nearly dead movie is also on hulu.com now....
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    oh and thats all water weight probably the minute you eat real food you'll gain like 5 lbs.
    this didn't happen to me- I lost 20 pounds in a month and I am still losing - now I am at 31 pounds weight loss. It was a great boost!
  • AWESOME RESPONSE!!!!:love:
  • keaani34
    keaani34 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I say way to go! if a jump start is what you need then juicing and losing a few pounds fast is a great way to do it. I am down 37 pounds, but have not lost a single pound for the past two weeks, I think juicing for a few days may be a good way to get things moving again.
  • jaybird951
    jaybird951 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    you most likely will gain it all back, unless you stick with a serious exercise/diet regimen when you start eating normal food again.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I am so excited to share that in only 5 days I have lost 14 pounds by drinking freshly made fruit and vegetable juice! The first few days are kind of hard, but I really feel that this is the best way to lose weight when you have quite a bit to lose. This is because you lose weight FAST, you heal your body and metabolism, you learn why you are eating in the first place, learn to eat when you are hungry and not for other reasons, I have read that your extra skin can be healed, or you simply don't get much if any when losing weight this healthy way! There are many many other reasons, too!

Sure, its hard, I love food! But losing weight is hard no matter HOW you do it, so why not take a certain period of time and drink healthy juice full of nutrients to get you back on track?

If you have netflix I recommend watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I had wanted to do a juice fast before but watching that documentary really inspired me!
    Lol, so look at the numbers mathematically. 14lbs (if it were fat) would be the equivalent burn of 49,000 calories in 5 days time. That would be 9,800 calories a day you burned which translates to, 408 calories an hour in a 24 hour period. Lol, so IF you exercised for 1 hour each and every hour with no rest and ate or drank nothing (including your juice mix), then that's the numbers you had to have had to achieve in order for it to be fat loss.
    You lost a lot of water and severely restricted your calories. Water loss is easy, just drink more fluids (which you did). And sorry you have LEARNED to eat since you're not eating anything. You may be more aware of what you're consuming, but you haven't taught yourself to eat. That will come when you do actually eat and the weight comes back on.
    Seen this happen so many times at gyms I work at. There is NO short cut. Diet fads are temporary. Learn an actual lifestyle that you can actually do for the rest of your life to maintain your weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race my dear. Too good to be true fads that are hard on your body DON'T.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to really lose 14 lbs in 5 days. Each pound has 3,500 calories. 14 lbs have 490,000 calories. To lose that you would have to not eat ANYTHING in those 5 days and worked off 98,000 calories a DAY. Pretty sure even olympic athletes who train all day can't even hit the tip of that iceberg. You have lost WATER WEIGHT, and maybe a half a pound or so but that is it.

I hope you aren't devastated when that weight comes roaring back. :frown:
    Stick to the healthy (MFP) way and it may take longer, but you will learn how to get it off and keep it off.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Just to correct some assumptions - I never said how long I am going to do this. I am playing it by ear to see how I feel but I am not going to be doing it forever.

I am sorry, I really didn't mean to cause such an uproar. I have read other juice fasting posts and I never saw all this drama in them.
    Recommending an unscientific way to "rid your body" of toxins and "jumpstart" your metabolism is irresponsible if you don't have the actual science to show it does it. Not a blog, or article, but an actual study showing that it has been done and the results are what you claim happen. It's drama to you because you think you're doing a great service, but someone on here may take this information (who may be desperate to lose weight) do it and do themselves irreparable harm to their metabolism.
    Again look at the numbers you've posted. Now try to explain how those 14lbs were actual fat loss from this fast.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member