Because why do you care what I eat?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I can tell ya... I don't log.
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Maybe because at the end of the day, it's really no one's business but their own.

Just sayin'.
  • FitFi74
    FitFi74 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Same reason why some people keep the lights off during sex...comes to down to feeling comfortable and admitting to your bad eating habits, some people take critique badly others not so much.

hahahha!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    They DO! I have friends who finish their day, and then people start saying, "you need to eat more" "you should stop eating so much ______" "you really ought to lay off the sodium" "maybe you should cut back on processed foods" etc. You name it, they've said it-unsolicited!

This is why mine is private. I am not ashamed of my eating habits and I know I need to eat less processed stuff and I am working on it but having someone tell me feels like I am 6 and my mother is giving me crap for having my hand in the cookie jar so to speak.

If I have questions I make it open so people can see what I am eating but I do not need someone to critique my food when I don't ask.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anyone just flat out start commenting on someone's food choices unless it was related to the question/topic. ie... why aren't I losing weight? Why aren't I gaining strength? etc....
    I have actually seen this happen. I have seen people go right to the forums to talk about another user's diary too. There are some people that actually do go through quite a few of other people's diaries and provide comments. I ended up making mine available to only friends after someone made comments on mine. At the time I was focusing on adding more fruits and veggies to my diet and that was all I logged. I got quite the feedback on my low intake. My friends knew what I was doing, this person did not.
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    I actually just noticed this setting recently and I guess it's set to "private" by default.. It could very well be that some people don't realize this.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I keep mine private because I do not want unsolicited advice. I am under medically different directions regarding my caloric intake, and I do not want someone who thinks they know more than I. I log my food for ME, and no one else.
  • ncw89
    ncw89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to private. I have no interest looking at anyone else's food diary and don't see why anyone would want to look at mine. It's there for my own information, not anyone else's. I can see for myself what my good and bad choices were that day and *really* do not need someone else making me feel guilty.
  • ilikeher
    Options
    Mine was private for a while. I didnt want people to be able to see that I was wasting 400 calories on beer or fast food or whatever it might have been. But i dont care anymore, I'm also not eating or drinking that way anymore so I'm not embarrased of what people will think if they feel the need to look at my food diary
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Because some people swear you only lose weight by eating low carb. Others swear carbs won't hurt you. Low sodium, low fat, fat is ok, more protein, more fiber, eat your exercise calories, don't eat your exercise calories....

My point is, a lot of people think THEIR way is the only way and if your diary is public than you open yourself to criticism from people that is unsolicited and probably unwanted. I am honest in my diary, even if I eat crap. But if I DO eat crap, I KNOW I ate crap, I don't need someone to point it out to me if I have not asked for their opinion.

That's my two cents on it.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Mine is either open to public or friends (i forget which), but i only recently did that. I had it open before but got unsolicited "advice" about how bad drinking was for me and how i was never going to lose weight that way. I'm aware that drinking is not good for me, but If I choose to have a glass of wine with dinner and have the calories for it, then I'm going to do it. In fact I'm going to drink much more than that on occasion. I dont need to be called names and have rude things said to me about it, especially when I never asked for advice/comments on my eating habits. So I turned mine to private, because really I am using the site to keep track for myself, not for other peoples perspective on what I'm eating. It's back to public now, but thats my reasoning for not wanting it that way before
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Why is it important to have it public?

I can tell you why mine is private at the moment: I use the notes section to note certain symptoms and things that I don't necessarily want everyone to be able to see. If there was a way to make just the notes section private, I probably would have my log public. But there isn't, so I don't.

I didn't say having it public was important.

I had a 1200 calorie burger yest. Logged it and then posted about it. Judge away folks.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I find it odd you had to ask. It's self explanatory, they don't want to share that much information. Everyone has a different relationship with food.

At weight loss groups you weigh in which is semi private and share the highs and lows with people in the same boat as you. It's a lot to open your whole world of bad habits and I don't think you should have to.

I am happy to have mine open because it encourages me to be honest with myself and think do I want to choose bad things then admit to everyone what I did?! I would not expect to be judged for it though.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Because they can, and aren't interested in anyone's opinion?
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I keep mine private because I don't really want people I don't know looking at it and commenting on it. I keep my food diary for my eyes and my peers who are helping me on my journey; I really don't think it's anyone else business!

Why do you want to look at other people's food diaries if you don't know them?
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Why is it important to have it public?

I can tell you why mine is private at the moment: I use the notes section to note certain symptoms and things that I don't necessarily want everyone to be able to see. If there was a way to make just the notes section private, I probably would have my log public. But there isn't, so I don't.

I didn't say having it public was important.

I had a 1200 calorie burger yest. Logged it and then posted about it. Judge away folks.
    I guess I was inferring that you saw some importance in it, giving that you asked, that's all.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Because there is a fair proportion of uneducated morons on here who think they are justified in spouting off about other people's food choices.
  • LaurieEReid
    Options
    I've never seen anyone just flat out start commenting on someone's food choices unless it was related to the question/topic. ie... why aren't I losing weight? Why aren't I gaining strength? etc....

True, and if you're going to ask questions in the general forums it makes sense to make it public so people can make suggestions. Some people either don't ask those public questions or don't offer their diaries up for 'ideas' for others publicly, so no point in making it public if there's no purpose.

This. I don't ask for advice so why would you be peering into my diary? Sightseeing? Nosy? Trying to one-up me? I don't understand why it would bother you that you can't see my diary. It's MY diary.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    There are several reasons that I have heard for this - most of them were in response to how someone else reacted to their diary. Some just feel it is none of anybody else's business and others only want to open it up when they want some specific advice. I would think that some people in recovery from ED could be advised not to share while they are working through recovery. That x was under calorie goal and getting congratulations for it could probably hinder progress.

this has happened to me. I had a few friends ask me in an appalling manner why I was eating x, y or z or how I could eat x, y and/or z and look the way I do. Um, rude. Portion control. I honestly don't care what my friends can see, because I am and have always been honest about where I came from and where I plan on going. I eat what I want, but that doesn't give anyone the right to knock me for it.