people who LOST weight eating MORE

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Glass of lowfat chocolate milk - ~150 calories and tastes like dessert. :smile:
  • funghoney
    Options
    so is the conclusion: we should eat more in order to keep loosing weight?
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Yep!! I originally was only eating 1200 cals per day, which is what this site recommended, but then I went to a nutritionist after I didn't lose and she said I was SEVERELY under-eating. To maintain, I need 2200 calories, so for me to lose, I also need 1800 calories.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,978 Member
    Options
    I am a learner. So, I am "learning" this. I think that I can improve in 2 areas: logging my "supper meal" calories (I seem too busy in the evenings to accomplish this feat whereas during the day, staring at the computer all day, I can easily pop over to MFP and log my calories) AND staying off the scale (except maybe once every 2 weeks or so).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Those who say that MFP sets your goal too low, are you sure you are logging all your workouts and you have your activity level set correctly? I lost most of my weight before joining this site but when I started logging the MFP recommendations were just about exactly what I'd been doing, which was just eating enough healthy foods so that I was never hungry (and drinking a little wine) each day.

The recommendations started off pretty close to 1200 because I set my activity level to sedentary (desk job) but when I added my workouts I got plenty of calories to feel full and lose.
  • Teddiedoll
    Options
    Bump
  • Beatrix0810
    Options
    YEARS ago, I foolishly tried to stay around 800 calories a day. I got down to around 130# but felt so horrible that I realized, "I can eat whatever I want and stay around 145, or starve to weight less... I'd rather eat more!" So I gained it back, and then some extra when my parents died and I lost my job and was diagnosed with depression. (Go figure... who wouldn't be depressed?!)

When I first started on MFP, like everyone else, I wanted to lose 2# a week and got 1200 calories. Always ate my exercise calories. About a month into it, I realized that it wasn't physically possible for me to lose 2# a week. At 1200 calories, the most I could lose would be 1.3#, and that was just on paper. In reality, I lost 1# a week, except when I had a stomach flu. If I was only going to lose 1# a week anyway, I decided I might as well change my settings to reflect that, and got about 1350 calories. Immediately, I started losing 1.5# a week most weeks!

When I lost 20#, putting me at 140, I changed my settings to .5# a week, getting around 1500 calories and lost that .5 pounds a week as promised, reaching my initial goal of 135 in June. I wasn't quite ready to go on maintenance, so I decided to only log Monday through Friday, keeping my same calorie goal. I did up my protein around this time, and noticed a HUGE difference in the way I felt. More energy, faster, stronger, felt full longer. And that month, I lost about 5 pounds while only trying, half-heartedly, to lose 2. :smile:

Since then, I've lost another 5 and I'm maintaining now.

I'm surprised at how *easy* it was to lose weight once I realized I had to eat more. I see people say how it's hard work and how they're struggling... I never struggled. I never felt hungry or deprived. I worked hard, but it wasn't hard work, if that makes sense. I busted my butt, and enjoyed every second of it. I still had pizza, wine, boneless buffalo wings, chocolate, vodka, ice cream... I just made sure I earned it.

During the time I lost weight, I typically had about 1800 calories total a day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Now than I'm maintaining, I'm usually around 2000-2100.

So helpful. I recently upped my calories from 1200 to 1300 and haven't weighed myself yet. Sometimes I think I can see a difference and sometimes I feel like I can't. What I really need is to see that damn needle move on the scale and then I'll know I'm doing the right thing. So far, I've been on MFP for 3 months and haven't lost a single pound. In fact, I GAINED initially. I was 127 when I started (trying to get to 118) and am now (and have been for the last month) a steady 134. Hopefully there's something to this increasing calories thing. We'll see!

Thanks for this post!
  • jenergy_20
    Options
    Really interested.. bump.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 5 eating less than 1200. Than i started to platue and just ate however i wanted and starting losing weight again. Now i'm trying to get back to eating less calories again.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" and my goal weight is around 140-145. My current weight is ~165. When I joined mfp I was at about 175 and I put myself on a 1200 calorie diet. I eventually upped it to 1375 because I couldn't stand getting just 1200. I would go to the gym about 4 times per week and spend almost an hour on the elliptical. I ate back my exercise cals of course!

I didn't lose any weight for a month, and then I finally lost 5 lbs. Then I started losing weight every week, but fluctuated between 163-168. And then I got stuck there... for more than another month.

About two and a half weeks ago, I completely revamped my nutrition and exercise strategy. I am now eating 2000+ cals every day, weightlifting (heavy weights, not 2lb Barbie weights!) three times per week, and have just these past few days reintroduced Pilates, yoga, and Zumba (once each per week).

Because of my new nutrition strategy (2000 cals, 40/30/30 cfp) and the weightlifting, I'm still at 165... but I've lost three inches in my waist, hips, thighs, and upper arms (yes, three inches in less than three weeks!)

I already feel better and have more energy because I'm not starving myself - I'm keeping my body fueled by eating proper meals that I cook myself. I eat three meals and have two snacks every day. I also have a post workout snack (protein shake and apple or banana) every time I lift weights. I feel like I am exercising and eating more efficiently than I was before. My body is getting stronger and burning more fat. Soon I will be losing more fat and that number on the scale will go down... but until then, I'm happy with losing my inches. :smile:
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Bump...
    hot topic. I've just upped my calories yesterday on quite a few ppls advice, so am wondering if this works myself.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Read for later:blushing: :yawn:
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 5 eating less than 1200. Than i started to platue and just ate however i wanted and starting losing weight again. Now i'm trying to get back to eating less calories again.

why? you lost eating more. Instead of eating whatever you want, try setting MFP to .5lbs a day. That will give you a 250/day deficit. And then eat what is recommended and your exercise calories.

This is just my opinion. I hope you find a system that works for you and makes you happy.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    bump for later.....
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    bump
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" and my goal weight is around 140-145. My current weight is ~165. When I joined mfp I was at about 175 and I put myself on a 1200 calorie diet. I eventually upped it to 1375 because I couldn't stand getting just 1200. I would go to the gym about 4 times per week and spend almost an hour on the elliptical. I ate back my exercise cals of course!

I didn't lose any weight for a month, and then I finally lost 5 lbs. Then I started losing weight every week, but fluctuated between 163-168. And then I got stuck there... for more than another month.

About two and a half weeks ago, I completely revamped my nutrition and exercise strategy. I am now eating 2000+ cals every day, weightlifting (heavy weights, not 2lb Barbie weights!) three times per week, and have just these past few days reintroduced Pilates, yoga, and Zumba (once each per week).

Because of my new nutrition strategy (2000 cals, 40/30/30 cfp) and the weightlifting, I'm still at 165... but I've lost three inches in my waist, hips, thighs, and upper arms (yes, three inches in less than three weeks!)

I already feel better and have more energy because I'm not starving myself - I'm keeping my body fueled by eating proper meals that I cook myself. I eat three meals and have two snacks every day. I also have a post workout snack (protein shake and apple or banana) every time I lift weights. I feel like I am exercising and eating more efficiently than I was before. My body is getting stronger and burning more fat. Soon I will be losing more fat and that number on the scale will go down... but until then, I'm happy with losing my inches. :smile:

Great post! I am really excited to start getting into working out after reading your post :D Very inspirational!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I started out on MFP around 1,600 something. That worked well for awhile, but then, the more I lost, the fewer calories I got on here. I got down to 1,400 something and I was starving, so I decided I was done with that crap and just lowered my weekly weight loss goal. My calories went up to what they are now, which is 1,740. In that first month, I was losing 2-3 pounds every week. It's now leveled back out to about 1.5 a week (sometimes more), but I don't starve and I don't feel like crap, so I'm happy with that.
  • SEXY_2012
    Options
    Take a look my result
    me.png

Just used _h_t_t_p_:_//tinyurl.com/c5sxhku
  • aregensb
    Options
    Great post! I am really excited to start getting into working out after reading your post :D Very inspirational!

Woohoo! If you're interested in adding strength training to your exercise, the book I read is THE NEW RULES OF LIFTING FOR WOMEN by Lou Schuler. There's a whole lot of nutritional info and info on different lifting exercises. It's entertaining to read and has a lot of good information, so even if you don't follow the plan in the book, I think it's still a nice read.
  • aregensb
    Options

Woohoo! If you're interested in adding strength training to your exercise, the book I read is THE NEW RULES OF LIFTING FOR WOMEN by Lou Schuler. There's a whole lot of nutritional info and info on different lifting exercises. It's entertaining to read and has a lot of good information, so even if you don't follow the plan in the book, I think it's still a nice read.