What sparked "I'm going to lose that weight!"

Options
Hey Everyone,
Thought it would be fun to post...
What spaked "I'm going to lose that weight!" for you?

Replies

• mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Well....you go first!
  • onetwothreeme
    Options
    finally admitting to myself i got huge after video taping my body and really looking to see how i abused it. wow! it was the biggest 'OMG' moment of my life! truth hurts, but I'm glad i faced it and am doing something about it.
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    After 2 yrs of a sit down job no exercise & chronis overeating I was soo depressed & disgusted with myself. Id felt since about 2006 that I was only getting bigger & bigger every yr & I could tell I was letting myself go. After seeing I was almost 260 lbs hiding behind sweat pants sweat shirts & not wanting pics of me tekn from the neck down I really wanted a change! In 2010 I started putting pics up around the house of me in 2003 and of myself in the present to inspire me to make better choices & get moving. Honestly I had no idea what it would take to lose the weight! I felt it was too far away I was too far gone I felt my husband was no longer attracted to me *which he denies* & I felt I would have to deprive myself of every food I enjoyed id have to live off of salad & work out for hrs per day! So I never gave it a real shot! In march of 2011 I started a new job which is a very active job. On my feet all night lifting heavy and awkward things bending squatting walking around. Tearing machines down putting back together & it was physically hard & I was frustrated that I couldn't do it very well. I thought I was going to quit. But I knew isnide if I pushed through & held on this might be the change I needed. I knew the job itself getting me moving was going to help in weight loss & it did I lost 10 lbs on my own & I was soo excited! My friend introduced me to mfp & all I did was start logging I had no real faith but thought what do I have to lose?! Seeing others succeed & learning how to eat & control portions catapulted me to losing a total of 65 lbs so far! So to answer the question the spark for me was knowledge! & the depression... I kept losing every week saw it was working & it just inspired me a little more & more every week to do even better move even more & feed my body well! =)
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    A few things. Being back at 234 after the holidays (up 10 lbs), having to renew my life insurance in a year and wanting to do the mwr bridge run/walk.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I just kept thinking "I really, really want to be back where I was five years ago." Like the first time I lost weight, I knew it would just HAPPEN. I'd get super motivated and never look back. Luckily, this time it's happening with a healthy plan involving lifting, running, and whole foods. Last time, not so much. That's how I know it will be a sustainable change!
  • pjholcomb
    pjholcomb Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Breast Cancer ... I'd had the surgery and chemo and was sitting with the Radiation Oncologist's office Nutritionist ... when she said, "For you to be able to say that you have done EVERYTHING you can to keep the cancer from returning, you have to lose as much weight as you can and still be healthy." I knew then that the dilly-dallying was over and I was going to get serious about my weight.
  • rubbyk
    rubbyk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My body was telling me to and I listened.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I went to Paris. I decided "I look fine" wasn't enough. I want to look "smokin.'"
  • kimziebaby
    kimziebaby Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Woke up one morning and said "I need a change!"
    Simple as that. :)
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My upcoming annual physical has been like a bucket of cold water in the face.

Baby weight is no longer an excuse because I gained 19 pounds since last December when the baby was 5 months old.:noway:
    I keep seeing myself at the physical trying to explain to the doc why I'm heavier than the day I gave birth & all the excuses & "priorities" I've had in the last year don't hold water & it's embarrassing because I know better and have done better.

19 pounds equals 1.58 pounds a month. Small changes make a big difference for better or worse. I could have made small changes and carved out enough time to lose .5 pound a week & that would have left me at around 154 instead of 191.

In sum, thinking about trying to justify my current weight makes me realize that there is no justification.
  • Shausil82
    Shausil82 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I felt that I could fully dedicate myself to losing weight. When people told me that I was lazy and never gonna change, I decided to prove them wrong. When guys dumped me for being too fat, I wanted to get revenge and lose the weight (kind of like a nice little b*tchslap of reality, saying "I may have been fat, but, I can lose the weight. You, however, will never stop being an a hole.)"

A friend told me about this site, and I gave it a shot. I had NO IDEA the site would work for me. While I still look in the mirror and still see the same girl as before, the scale and other people have told me that there is a HUGE difference in where I am now.
    I like proving people wrong, and I've done it.
    Seriously, if this site can help me to lose weight, it can help ANYONE lose weight.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Sick of seeing how I looked naked. True story.

(Plus, I knew I had the determination, and I wanted to be healthy. After all, we're ALL worth it.)
    Just gotta DOOOOO IT!
  • Strobins05
    Options
    Late November four years ago I was at steering my weight towards 240#'s. Bad eating habits, sitting at desk and big office parties at least once every month was killing me! In the eleven years I had been sitting at this desk I have gained over 65 #'s easily! Went to Doc broke down and realized I had to do SOMETHING! Was introduced to an all exclusive ladies gym and the rest is history. Lost over 35#'s since March of 2008. This year I did not put in my dues, lost my brother on Christmas day in NYC 2010 had to wait for his ashes to be sent to us three weeks later due that terrible storm that hit NYC. That sent me overboard as I had to wait and plan the memorial service and it was so hard for a baby sister to do! So stress, anxiety, and you name it set in for a good bit, then I started eating what I wanted again, no real workouts at gym, just messed around until I went to doctor NOV 1st of this year. That visit put some very dire things in perspective for me. By Nov 5th I rededicated my health to wanting to live! So here I am, and I’m going hard! I don’t' just want to lose weight, I want to live!
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Well, I have a few reasons... I have been over-weight most of my life. At 6', all of the basketball moms would always say "It's because you're so tall!" Granted, that SHOULD be the high-end of my weight, I took it in a really awkward way. And thought I could use this as an excuse. Well, I was wrong. I was supposed to have died at the age of 12. I was born with a hole in my heart, and luckily, they had found it and were able to fix it. Another thing I could use as an excuse. "Oh, I was supposed to have been dead, so why not live and eat what I want!" Also, a wrong answer. My average high school weight had been 240. I hadn't stepped on a scale in oh, say about 2 years. I gained nearly 40 pounds. When that scale said I was only about 10-15 pounds from 300, it REALLY woke me up. I am alive now because of the heart surgery, and I have been killing my heart and body. I don't want to just be alive, I want to LIVE! I want to know what it's like to go to a beach or pool in a two-piece. I want to be able to sunbathe and not worry about if anyone is looking. There was also a picture I found on Pinterest.com that I had come across. It was a body scan of a 240lb woman, and a 130lb woman. I realized the enlarge heart, fat pockets around the brain, knees connecting, parts of bone were hidden by fat. And I decided that it's over. It's done. I am not going to sit around and let food and my weight consume me. And if that brings new attitude, and no boyfriend, then you know what, as much I would hate to say it, then that's just how it's going to be. I have hopes that my bone structure will allow me to be more Kim Kardashian, but I am very doubtful. My younger brother is the only thin one in the family, and he is a bean pole. I am hoping for dear life I don't get to bean pole. But I think as long as I do strength training, I will build my muscle and avoid getting that super tiny.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I have been saying that since I was old enough to care what I look like! lol :laugh: But this year I made a commitment to myself because I want to feel beautiful for once in my life :blushing:
  • robyng1986
    robyng1986 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    when i realised it was no longer appropriate for me to wear bikinis and i had to stick to tankinis... may not seem like such a big deal but i live in Trinidad and go to school in Barbados.. beach going is a HUGE thing here. now i just go and don't even go in the water.
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    A picture of Adam and I together at my brother's graduation + stepping on the scale for the first time in months and seeing it not only over 200 (first time in my life, even if I've always been a heavy girl), but at 230. For some reason I was okay with being overweight until I was over 200---then it became unacceptable.
  • IvaRai
    IvaRai Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When my daughter said "Who ever loves them self raise your hand" I couldn't raise my hand because I don't love myself the way I am right now. And seeing that scale hit a number I never wanted to see made me want it even more.
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    After I had my 2nd child I reached 253lbs...disgusting (for me) even though I have always been a "big" girl...just not that big!
    I shouldn't be embarassed for my own husband to know my weight and I am...especially now since he lost 50lbs and now weighs LESS then me!!
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My husband. He's lost 80 pounds and looks amazing. I thought, if he can do it, I can do it! It helps to have that support system.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!