What sparked "I'm going to lose that weight!"

Options

Replies

• kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,

For me, it was a couple of things. I had my annual physical, and wanted to get off of the cholesterol medication I had been taking as my legs were "killing" me. He wasn't sold on that idea, but I quit taking it cold turkey, and within a week, my legs felt MUCH better. However, he indicated to me that my blood sugar was elevated at that time. Please come back in two months.
    Two months later, my cholesterol level had skyrocketed (but I was NOT going to go back on Lipitor), and my blood sugar levels were still elevated. So he sent me to a dietician who basically told me these things: 1. Begin eating breakfast 2. Keep your total "carbs" to 15 or under a day (15 grams of carbohydrate = 1 "carb") 3. Write down EVERYTHING you eat.

Well, I left her office, convinced she was a 'quack' but totally willing to try it. That was the end of August, and by December, I had lost about 30 pounds. I kept at it, and by the following summer, I had lost about 70 pounds. I didn't do it just by dieting. I began walking, and walking, and walking. When I saw a friend of mine, and he asked what I had done, I told him about the diet, and said, "and then, I walked my *kitten* off." He turned me around and whispered in my ear, "Literally." He died about two months later, and that is one of my favorite memories of Dave.....and him telling me that his dad didn't believe him when he told him who I was. His dad totally didn't recognize me.

Kaye
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    My body was telling me to and I listened.

^^^This^^^
  • HockeyHolic
    HockeyHolic Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My Mom, who has battled weight all her life, got shoulder replacement surgery and is on track for both knees to be done as well. She's yo-yo'd three times since her late 20's, mostly by cutting calories and not exercising. I don't want to end up like her in my 60's.
  • WoWmamaErin
    WoWmamaErin Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    For me it was a group of women I'd known (online) for almost 2 years. We've been through a lot together (all of us had babies in April 2010) and 1 woman wanted to lose weight and needed motivation. So we started a biggest loser contest for those that wanted to join. We all put $5 in the pot and winner takes all. That's what really did it for me.

For the last 5 years or so I'd been obese (even morbidly so at a couple times) and knew I had to drop the weight. I wanted to look good and be able to keep up with my kids at the park and not just stay home watching TV and eating junk food. I wanted to set a better example. And I had motivated myself (about a year ago) and lost about 20 lbs and then fell off the wagon. At least I didn't gain during that time. But it really was the support and motivation of the contest that did it for me. Having a little contest where there is almost $100 to win was a great motivator and we push each other to eat well and exercise. We're even planning on keeping the group together after the fact and set goals for ourselves but with no more money on the line! lol
  • bsavage13
    bsavage13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Not recognizing myself in a photo. I was looking at photos I took at a friend's wedding and didn't recognize myself standing next to my brother. It was a huge eye opening experience. That was April 2009. Have lost 70lbs since then.
  • KaylaKilgore
    KaylaKilgore Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I decided I was putting more time and effort into thinking negative about myself and spending more time trying to avoid social situations than it would take to begin to eat right and exercise to look and feel better.

Sameee here. I feel better though knowing I'm doing something about it.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I got a job that required dressy clothes every day. Every single morning I would stand in my closet, upset that nothing fit or nothing looked nice. I opened my eyes one morning and said "oh hell no!" and started that day.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    My husband had an affair the first 8 months of my youngest sons life. I let my husband destroy my self esteem, so I decided to take matters into my own hands and get it back for myself.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    1) Facing the thought of having to buy a bigger pants size AGAIN.
    2) FINALLY owning up to the fact that a past history of an eating disorder is NOT A free pass to eat whatever I wanted now, however much I wanted now, and not take care of myself now. I have to be careful to not go overboard into Obsessive Mode about counting calories, but I owe it to myself to be healthy. Period.
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    When I found myself in the Big and Tall section of a clothing store, and being called "Big John" ceased to feel like a compliment after 3 years of full time graduate school coupled with a (nearly) full time desk job.
  • monainmn
    monainmn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Honestly it was so many things. I was having issues at work with a bully and my thought was how can I deal with this when I feel like crap about myself. In some way I wanted to blame myself and my thought was I had to feel better to do better. I also have 15 year old twin girls, one with her own weight issues and it was as if a brick hit me in the head that I better be a positive role model for them before they are out of my hands. Dealing with rheumatoid arthritis and not wanting to take the medication, I decided I would do everything in my power to feel better naturally. I simply got sick and tired of being sick and tired. This is what sparked my motivation to drop the weight burden, now and forever!!!
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Agonising back pain, weighing in at 99kgs/218lbs, the doctor being concerned about my weight and birth control pill combination...

it was a combination of those three things that prompted me to start. Losing 9kgs has improved my back pain to the point that I only ever notice it if I've had a bad night's sleep. I feel so much more alive now as well.
  • Sweetcheeks278
    Options
    We had a vacation planned with my husbands best friend, his wife and their daughter. While talking on the phone with her making plans for the trip she said to me, "Well at least I don't have to worry about you being all skinny and making me look bad this trip. hahaha" :noway: She is a heavy girl and the last time we saw them was before I had my daughter and I was thin. It made me so angry and hurt me so much that it was enough to push me. The next day I started my journey and I've never looked back. 25 lbs down went from a size 12/13 to a size4/ 6 and my profile pic is the bikini I bought while we were on our trip with them. I love her to death but EAT YOUR HEART OUT HONEY bc I worked my *kitten* off to get where I am! :bigsmile:
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    I want to be a positive influence on my step-son and my son-on-the-way.
  • rahawk93
    Options
    Barely fitting on a roller coaster. That as the thing that put me over the edge.
  • Ericgunner
    Options
    341lbs and realised that I was too young to die, because if I hadn't done anything about it. That's where I was heading.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I had previously lost weight a few years ago and gotten rid of all of the pants I couldn't wear any more. Now putting on weight again and having to cram myself into my pants, having them cut into my gut all day, and facing the fact that I would have to buy all new pants in a size bigger. Most of the jeans I had bought when I dropped the weight are wearing out and ripping and I need new clothes. I decided I'd rather not have to buy the bigger size.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    initially it was seeing myself in my son's 1st birthday pics weighing the same as i did when i delivered him...263lbs...
    asept05.jpg

after losing weight from 2005-2007, i had my second child in sept 2007 and decided 3 months postpartum that i was not going to wait to see myself in her 1st birthday pics to get started again...

so on january 1, 2008 i started from the "beginning" moving my *kitten* and counting calories...
    jan2008.jpg

the rest is history LOL and now i'm a warrior :wink: :blushing:
    d271172c.jpg
  • jaxdiablo
    Options
    Back surgery and realizing that I disliked myself because of my weight. Sooner or later you hit that point where you just can't take it anymore. I realized that I used to be in great shape, and it was completely accomplishable. I kept talking myself out of weightloss years before and saying I couldn't do it because I was already too big, and I'd need to lose weight to be able to function actively. Then 1 month ago I did a 5k just for kicks with no training. I finished in under 45 minutes. I'd been working out with a trainer, but not doing any cardio. When I actually finished the thing at 290 pounds approx. (down from 330+), I'd come to the realization I can do it, and I need to do it. And now, I AM doing it. At the gym 4-5 times a week, lifting 2-3 times a week, cardio 1-3 times a week. And I'm now down at 280, that's 25 pounds of tracked weight loss since september 26th, now there's no looking back.
  • wren176
    wren176 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My husband had an affair the first 8 months of my youngest sons life. I let my husband destroy my self esteem, so I decided to take matters into my own hands and get it back for myself.

This was me also. My husband and I had 4 children and had been married for 10 years. We were disagreeing over who would have the tubal/vasectomy and I finally had it done because he was to chicken. I spent a week in the hospital after my "outpatient surgery" then come to find out a couple of years later that he was having an affair during that time and surprise he has a daughter. It was really depressing because the woman was tiny and 10 years younger than myself. As I sat feeling sorry for myself and eating everything in sight I realized I was my own biggest enemy. That I could be hot and I could lose weight and that it was my husbands loss and not mine He was the one with the low moral standards!I am responsible for myself and I do not have to look fat and feel frumpy ashamed. I can be strong and in shape physically and mentally and my weight is coming down. I am more inspired than ever to lose the weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!