Are you a hugger?

Options

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I hug friends and family. With family and my fellow European friends, I also do the double cheek kiss.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    I was raised in a his/hers/ours home, so I am not overly affectionate with anyone, but my kids. Hugs are somewhat acceptable sometimes, depending on who you are. I don't hug for extended periods of time, unless you are my kids and anyone else really gets the half-*kitten* hug where I don't lean all the way in and kinda pat-a-pat the person on their back.
    I'd hug you everytime I see you............:flowerforyou:

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly a hugger. My friends and family all get hugs. Usually won't hug someone new unless I feel like I know them...like a friend of a close friend or say a cousin's live-in boyfriend (practically family). It all depends on the vibe I get from them too. Some people are just not huggers and I try to respect that. All bets are off if I'm intoxicated though - I have no concept of personal space when I'm drunk!
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person and the situation. I love hugs from family and friends. I am a Sped preschool teacher (when I am employed) and the kids often seek hugs. This is a touchy area due to abuse issues. If they ask, then yes, but to meet their needs not mine. I come from a very huggy family on both sides so I grew up with hugs. Lucky me! I do shake hands when meeting people for the first time. And if someone askes if I'm a hugger I say YES! Tough call in a work setting if male/female dynamic is part of the equation. Then I think, No. Hugs to you!
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Noooooo. Im a hand-shaker. That is, until I know you well enough to let you into my personal space. Then Im good with hugs.

This. In the words of the little girl I used to nanny "Megan has a big (personal space) bubble."
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I am so a hugger and my family is full of them too!!! Unless I know you don't like hugs then I obviously will not hug you but if you are open to them then hug on :)
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I don't initiate hugs, but I'm ok giving them.
  • 13Natty
    Options
    i could use a hug right now....

Awww Come here......((((HUG))))
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I LOVE hugging! But every since I turned into a adult Ive learned that its not good hugging the opposite sex. Back in high school I hugged anybody but now I have to be careful hugging men because some people take as flirting and their girlfriends or wives get hella jealous! Anyways yeah I love hugging.
  • Wingmistress
    Options
    I am a big hugger and an even bigger high fiver!
  • Wingmistress
    Options
    I am a big hugger and an even bigger high fiver!
  • 13Natty
    Options
    I could be a hugger... But MAN I hate those fake huggers... like an air kiss - but a air hug that says - "I'm repulsed by you but I want everyone else to think I'm the nice one - " Usually it's other women who are fake huggers.
    Give me a really good meaty hug!

hahaha that made me smile^^^^^
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm very much a hugger with my bf, and I'll hug my mum.
    Everyone else, IDK why but it just feels weird.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Definitely a hugger. Yes, I've even hugged strangers. :bigsmile:
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230
    Options
    I'm a hug slut.
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Definately
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a hugger. If you're not my husband then I need to have known you for a long time before I will be comfortable with hugging. Being a classroom teacher has tempered my need for personal space quite a bit, since kids will hug no matter what. :) But I'm still uncomfortable with adults just coming up and hugging me.

I think the key is the ability to read body language. If you step toward a person and they step back, that's your cue to back off, they don't want a hug. I think some people are just so enthusiastic that they overlook the body language which would warn them that they're making someone uncomfortable.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    duplicate post
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm a mix. There are people who I want to hug and people who I don't want to hug.

Usually I say that I'm not a hugger, just to make life simpler.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I <3 hugs!!!:love: But I agree w/ Buffy some folks are creepy or stand-off-ish and I don't want to hug them