Down 12 pds!! South Beach Diet Rocks!!!

Options

Replies

• LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello, pudding, etc..........keeps the cravings there.

Hi and thanks for the welcome. I wanted to comment on this. Having been sugar free for 4 years I can attest to the fact that there are moments that it is difficult. Sometimes it is the craving but other times, it is more learning how to do something new in a familiar situation. Like a family picnic or birthday party...learning how to handle this. For a long time I ate substitute foods that contained aspertame(Nutrisweet), sucralose (Splenda) and malitol or other sugar alcohols, but I agree completely that all of these substitutes just keep the cravings there and I also lost weight VERY slowely using them. For the malitol chocolate things (cookies and candy) they still have all of the calories, just not the sugar load/glycemic effect.

I see sugar free jello being listed a lot here and would encourage you to take an honest look at your body and how you react. For me, too much and I get headaches, moody, and the cravings are intense.
    [/quote]

Very good advice!!!

i think I said something similar to this earlier..........

i can't have the sugar-free stuff, it keeps me craving and on the edge of a binge.

For 3-4 weeks, it is most beneficial to me to keep my menu at salads, protein, cheese, veggies (the green ones)..........then the cravings are gone and I am able to start adding in nuts, berries and more veggies..........

Also, if you are battling hunger or sweet cravings, there is a supplement called L-Glutamine that will help with the cravings and hunger.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. Such an active broad yesterday. I learn one thing that seems real inportant to me that I used too much of.I used to much artifically sugar. I have been using Stevia alot. But the other junk is everywhere. I guess thats where clean eating comes in. So bear with me I will beat this. I am going to give up all the bad stuff first and then I will see about Stevia. I do have some of it growing in my garden. But I need to kick this sugar habbit. Thanks so much all.

Caliecat
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Good morning all. Such an active broad yesterday. I learn one thing that seems real inportant to me that I used too much of.I used to much artifically sugar. I have been using Stevia alot. But the other junk is everywhere. I guess thats where clean eating comes in. So bear with me I will beat this. I am going to give up all the bad stuff first and then I will see about Stevia. I do have some of it growing in my garden. But I need to kick this sugar habbit. Thanks so much all.

Caliecat

Hi Calie!! The best way to beat the sugar habit is to completely remove it from your eating plan until you no longer have cravings for it.

You will notice your taste buds change and everything. I find that carrots and red cabbage now satisfy a sweet tooth.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I am working on it. For Breakfast I had: !/4 c egg beaters.1/2 avacada.6 oz tomatoes jucie/ ! sl. of ham No extra salt. at all. Ice water my choice of drink. Should I be eating real eggs instead of egg beaters. I know they have a lot of sodium. Now to go and record this on my food chart/
    Caliecat
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    do you eat any fruit?
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    NOT THE FIRST 2 WEEKS. And oh how I will like a big juicy stawberries. I just have a little over a week to go. I jusrt recorded my food chart for breakfast and the ham and tomatoes juice really up my sodium. Almost half of my dailey quoto. So those too things are out.

Caliecat
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    LeanLioness wrote: "Sugar free jello, pudding, etc..........keeps the cravings there.
    "

Hi and thanks for the welcome. I wanted to comment on this. Having been sugar free for 4 years I can attest to the fact that there are moments that it is difficult. Sometimes it is the craving but other times, it is more learning how to do something new in a familiar situation. Like a family picnic or birthday party...learning how to handle this. For a long time I ate substitute foods that contained aspertame(Nutrisweet), sucralose (Splenda) and malitol or other sugar alcohols, but I agree completely that all of these substitutes just keep the cravings there and I also lost weight VERY slowly using them. For the malitol chocolate things (cookies and candy) they still have all of the calories, just not the sugar load/glycemic effect.

I see sugar free jello being listed a lot here and would encourage you to take an honest look at your body and how you react. For me, too much and I get headaches, moody, and the cravings are intense.
    [/quote]

I agree 100% with this! :drinker:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks for your input on the subject. I agree with you. But I know it wont be easy at first. So far so good except my sodium. But I will be glad to get my fruit back. Please post a typical day of your diet
    Thank you.
    Caliecat
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Thanks for your input on the subject. I agree with you. But I know it wont be easy at first. So far so good except my sodium. But I will be glad to get my fruit back. Please post a typical day of your diet
    Thank you.
    Caliecat

Breakfast:
    3 eggs (hard boiled or fried in coconut oil)
    3 strips bacon
    black coffee
    16 oz water

Lunch:
    2 cups romaine lettuce
    red cabbage
    cucumbers
    carrot slivers
    radishes
    tomato
    grilled chicken breast
    Cheddar cheese
    Ranch dressing
    16 oz of water

Supper:
    Grilled Salmon
    Steamed Shrimp
    Small salad with same as above (garden salad, no meat)
    16 oz Water

I drink water in between meals, if I feel like snacking I snack on veggies or nuts.

Also, to kill a sweet craving, eat something salty. If I was craving something sweet, I ate a pickle spear and it always killed my cravings...........

Also, a natural supplement called L-Glutamine is good to take, kills cravings and appetite.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Lion L.----Don't the ranch dressing have fake sugar in it. Or is that just the light dressing.?
    Caliecat
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Lion L.----Don't the ranch dressing have fake sugar in it. Or is that just the light dressing.?
    Caliecat

Just from experience - the real ranch doesn't have fake sugar in it or sugar either - read the labels though!! I have found that most light and/or low fat dressings have either sugar or artificial sugar in them. I use Newman's Own Lighten Up Balsalmic Vinagrette - it's awesome and organic. I'm pretty sure it is low carb - as when I bought it I scoured labels for sugars and fake sugars. But if your focus is SBD you definately want to stay away from most light or low-fat dressings. Make sure you read the label though!!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks MtGirl. I have stay away from the full fat stuff so long I do need to catch up. Now I can have blue cheese dressing which is my faverite if I don't over do it. Thanks again. Potion control.

caliecat
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I make my own salad dressing, so I know what's been added...It is usually just olive oil, some type of vinegar (balsamic, red, or white vinegar), dijon mustard, and whatever herbs I have on hand. If I am making a greek salad, I usually use oregano...It conforms to south beach and is tasty too :)
    A.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Thanks MtGirl. I have stay away from the full fat stuff so long I do need to catch up. Now I can have blue cheese dressing which is my faverite if I don't over do it. Thanks again. Potion control.

caliecat

I am surprised that your Doctor says to have low fat stuff.

The diabetic endocrinologist that I see says that diabetics should not have low fat stuff because of the added sugar in the low fat products. And, full fat stuff will keep you ffull and more satisfied longer.

That is why he put me on Atkins.

Just some things to ponder on.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    leanlioness....did you lose all your weight on adkins. it was intesting reading what you endro told you about full/low fat items. i saw one once and he told me since my doctor says i am controlled i didn't need to see him for anything. didn't like him, but, he is who insurance pays for. will have to see if there is another one they will pay for. i asked him for some tests and he said what do you want tested for? if i knew i wouldn't be asking. he said my reg. gp is doing just fine for me. i am finding counting calories i am not losing as fast or as much as i did when i counted carbs.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks A I may have to give that a try.

Everybody been so helpful. and I apprecate evey one of you. I so badly want to see the scales move down and my ticker to go up.

Thsnks again Caliecat
  • cloverluv
    cloverluv Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Day 5..woot woot! Haha. I'm very happy that I am able to keep going. I have noticed that I am doing better when it comes to drinking my water. Only thing is...it's filling me up that I'm having a hard time eating. Like tonight, I tried some turkey sausage and I took two bites and felt full. I figure if I get hungry later I'll finish that and my cup of brocolli.

I also agree about the sugar. I am trying my best to just stay away from it. I know when I get past Phase 1 on the SBD it will be better for me because then I will have the natural sugar from fruit.

I'm so glad we have each other...it makes it just that much easier. Also...never knew much about Atkins...I love the learning experience!!

Finally, I have a confession! I have no idea how to cook cabbage. Any ideas? I love to eat it but I just don't know how to cook it. I've looked on the internet but there are so many different ways and I'm just looking for something simple.

Crys
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Crys---- I notice too water is tasting better all the time since I don't have crystal light to fall back on. Isn't that great. I had a good day. I like this having someone to chat with about this new way of eating for me. I will WI tomorrow even tho it hasn't been a week yet for I WI in on another thread on Sat. But I'll take whatever.
    Have a good night. and keep up the good worl
    Caliecat
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    leanlioness....did you lose all your weight on adkins. it was intesting reading what you endro told you about full/low fat items. i saw one once and he told me since my doctor says i am controlled i didn't need to see him for anything. didn't like him, but, he is who insurance pays for. will have to see if there is another one they will pay for. i asked him for some tests and he said what do you want tested for? if i knew i wouldn't be asking. he said my reg. gp is doing just fine for me. i am finding counting calories i am not losing as fast or as much as i did when i counted carbs.

Chipper - I am having that same problem. I do much better counting carbs than counting calories. I get wrapped up in the whole calorie thing and my carbs get out of control a little, then bam - no scale movement!! I have to get back in check - even though it's been low carb tortillas and whole wheat bread, I still can't have them like I have been lately! Even though my calories are good, my carbs are too high. :ohwell:
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    what a struggle this whole weight loss thing is.....isn't it????
    i lost most of this weight by doing the diabetic low carb counting. i only used the treadmill and burning 300-400 calories in an hour. i would walk and read. than when i quite smoking and i quite counting. when i got myself back together i joined this site. i lost what i gained and a little more in the almost year. i now can burn 300-400 cals in 1/3 hour. my heart is in much better shape. but, counting the calories, i too am seeing the carbs go sky high and i am not paying attention. my weigh in days are tues. so this week i have been on track with what the plan is for calories and exercising. and nothing. so i am considering going back to my old carb counting. the endro told me he said what ever worked for me than do that.
    good luck everyone