50+ WOMEN FOR THE MONTH OF MAY

Options
Welcome to the thread for Women in their 50’s (or thereabouts). Actually, any woman is welcome. We are a group of women who wanted support and encouragement from others who are facing some of the same challenges. This has turned out to be a very helpful tool for me and hopefully for many others. I have met many new friends on this thread. So once again, welcome!

What are your goals for the month of May? We can help each other be accountable. Visit daily to encourage and to get encouraged. We’re here for you!

Replies

• Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the thread for Women in their 50’s (or thereabouts). Actually, any woman is welcome. We are a group of women who wanted support and encouragement from others who are facing some of the same challenges. This has turned out to be a very helpful tool for me and hopefully for many others. I have met many new friends on this thread. So once again, welcome!

What are your goals for the month of May? We can help each other be accountable. Visit daily to encourage and to get encouraged. We’re here for you!
  • Grammymax
    Options
    My May goals are:

Workout a minimum of 4 times a week
    Drink 8 / 8 oz glasses of water a day :drinker:
    Lose 4 pounds by the end of the month
    Lose 2 inches total by the end of the month

Hope you all have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend.

Esther
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options
    I just posted a big reply on the old thread.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'll post my May goals in the morning.:bigsmile:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

I hope everyone is gearing up for a good weekend.

They say you improve your chances of success in the weight loss game by telling somebody what you plan to do, so you are more accountable. Ultimately, we are all accountable to ourselves, but it never hurts to have a little "insurance" so here goes:

I just started using the site and making certain diet and activity changes the week after Easter. I have always found walking to be the easiest exercise to integrate into my life. So far, I missed only 2 days fo doing what I intended to do,. a minimum of 30 mins a day at 3 mph. One day, I actually did 60 minutes

1. My goal for May is to do a min of 30 minutes every day, walking 3 mph, and to add at least another 15 minutes 2 days during the week, and an extra 30 mins on two of the days that I don't work .

2. My next weigh-in isn't 'til this Saturday, so I am not sure how much I will have lost in total for April (so far, I am down 4 lbs.), but I would like to be 10 lbs. lighter by Memorial Day.

3. As far as eating goes, in the coming month, I need to stick with my plan. I have to do better at preparing and resisting the unexpected.

Today, temptation came in the form of pizza at work. I had 3 slices and called it an early dinner. This became a zig zag calorie day.

4. Also, this month, I want to reduce the amount of convenience items that I use in order to reduce the sodium that I consume.

I hope by putting something in writing, I can look back at the end of the month and see success instead of frustration.

Barb
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    HI EVERYONE, GOOD MORNING TO YOU.

MARIE, FEEL BETTER SOON.

ZAZA, LOVE HOW YOU HANDLED YOUR SON, WAY TO GO.

ESTHER, GOOD LUCK WITH THE TRAILER AND GOOD TRAVELING.

BARBIE, I WONDER IF WE EVER GET USED TO THE TIGHTER FITTING CLOTHES. I STILL BUY THINGS A LITTLE LARGER THAN I NEED TO AND HEAD FOR THE PLUS SIZES OUT OF HABIT.
    YOU DID AMAZING IN APRIL, JUST AMAZING.

BARB, HOW ABOUT MAKING A LIST OF YOUR GOALS IN LARGE RED PRINT AND HANGING IT ON THE REFRIGERATOR. YOU SAID WRITING IT OUT HERE IS GOOD TO LOOK BACK ON,SO WHY NOT SEEING IN FRONT OF YOU EVERY DAY? CAN'T HURT. I KEEP MY SAYING "FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION" AND MY PICTURE RECEIVING ONE OF MY AWARDS FROM TOPS FOR 42 CONSECUTIVE WEEKS OF LOSING WEIGHT,RIGHT THERE TO REMIND ME HOW FAR I HAVE COME. IT DOES HELP ME. AT FIRST I KEPT MY BEFORE PICTURE THERE,UGH!! THEN I THOUGHT ,OK, NOW MOVE ON, YOU ARE NOT THAT WOMAN ANY MORE AND I TOOK IT OFF REPLACING IT WITH A MORE CONFIDENT ME. I KNOW YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO DO FOR YOURSELF. GOOD LUCK.

MY GOALS FOR MAY:

LOSE 4LBS
    WALK 4 TIMES A WEEK MORE THAN 1 AND 1/4 MILE (THAT IS WHERE I AM NOW) HEY , I'LL BE 65 MAY 25TH AND USED A WALKER FOR A TIME JUST TO GET AROUND THE BLOCK. LOL
    DRINK THAT WATER 8 GLASSES 8 OZ'S (EVEN IF I DO PUT 1OZ FLAVOR)

WISH EVERYONE THE BEST IN MAY. YOU ALL HAVE THE POWER TO SUCCEED. PLAN AHEAD AND "BELIEVE".

ANNE
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies:flowerforyou:

Realistic Goals for May:

Lose 4 lbs.
    Get back to the gym at least 5 days a week.
    Drink the 8 glasses of water.
    Stay focused on my health.
    Stay positive.
    No late night eating.

Thanks for this thread :flowerforyou: Esther and all the supportive ladies.:flowerforyou:

It's raining today but I do have sunshine in my :heart:

:flowerforyou: Kathy
  • dricotta1
    dricotta1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Happy to see the new thread begun, Thanx,

Goals for May: Lose 3 more lbs before I leave for Saipan May 27. That is, of course that I break this plateau when I weigh in tomorrow!
    Continue 30 min of exercise 5 days a week. Increase weight and intensity.
    Drink more water.
    Work in gardens for pleasure and strength.
    Be kind but firm as I'm faced with temptation.
    Sunday is the 1st anniversary of my son's death. I'm proud to have survived the year and learned to begin to take care of myself again. I hope the next year is easier. Assimilating his death is the hardest thing I've ever done. There will always be a hole in my heart, but a I'm learning to live with it.
    Blessings and encouragement to all of us as we launch into May:bigsmile:
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Good Morning and Happy May.

Thanks for the thread Ester

I can't say enough times how much I appreciate this thread. Such wise and compassionate women. I feel like I want to prove myself worthy!! I have my inspiration and motivation back. April wasn't so good until the last week which was great for me as far as goals. I mean to continue that through May.

FFL - I love the idea of printing off my goals for the fridge. I have also thought about a chart to track my achievments. Some girls are having great success with this - getting a star for exercise or water etc.

Here are some reminders for myself:
    My stomach doesn't hurt if I eat good food
    It feels way better to hurt a little from exercise than it does to hurt alot and be stiff from inactivity.
    I will feel as good getting into my size 18's as I did getting into my size 20's (from 24's)
    Don't just talk about it - DO IT!!

I finally changed my ticker to be accurate for May 1 I intend to see it move in the right direction EVERY week. I have been forgiving myself for slip-ups too easy and I am going to get tough!!

Long term:
    Lose 52 by age 52
    get in to those size 16 "incentive" jeans I bought last summer

Have a great day

Heather
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Good Morning. I hope everyone has a sucessful and fun filled May:flowerforyou:

I had a rough nite with not feeling well but I am hopeful that this will pass soon and I can return to active status:happy:

My goals for May are to:

1. increase my strength building exercises,
    2. bicycle at least 4 times a week (I haven't done this for years)
    3. to golf again (I haven't been able to because I was not healthy or strong enough to play for the last 10 years!)

of course making healthy food choices, drinking all my water, increasing my exercising and keeping a positive attitude has become my lifestyle now so that will also be in the back of my mind to encourage the scale to be kind to me:bigsmile:

I believe in setting myself up for success not failure so I am keeping my goals simple. Best wishes to all. What a motivated group we are, always ready to encourage one another or pick up our spirits when someone is down. Isn't life grand?

Big Hugs and Thanks to you all:flowerforyou:

:heart: Marie:heart:
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Hi again

I was wondering if anyone saw Oprah last night with Kirstie Alley? I don't know the details of her previous pounds lost - but she put it all back on. Not too good of advertising for Jenny Craig. That just reinforces the importance of changing your thinking and lifestyle on a permanent basis. She actually packed her amazing gym equipment away in her garage. I just got bits of the show but I think the idea was about her starting again and in the public eye - kind of another chance. She was all about the excuses - but at least recognized that.
    We have to remember the changes we make are not for a short time but for a lifetime.

:heart:
    Heather
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Yipee! We have both a patio and a garage floor now. (BIG SMILE) It's another gorgeous Spring day here in West Texas. I've already been garage sale-ing this morning... spent 25 cents on a pair of denim capris that should be great for working in the garden. Now as soon as I get through cleaning out the fridge, I can play, er I mean WORK, in my new flowerbed guilt-free. That should burn at least as many calories as that exercise DVD does. Happy Friday y'all!

:flowerforyou: MY GOALS FOR MAY:

1. Lose at least 4 pounds and 1 inch in my belly.

2. Continue strength training 3 days a week.

3. Walk, mow or work in the garden at least 45 minutes every day.

3. Drink all my water. :drinker:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, All :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I just finished going through some photo CDs looking for something and saw photos of me from the last three years when I was stuffing myself into those size 16 pants that I threw away thanks to the encouragement you gave me.

Today i am wearing my new size 10 pants and size small T shirt that I bought yesterday. they are snug, but they fit and I didn't have to lie down to zip the jeans.

With our motorhome trip coming up and no exercise bike or dog park or line dance or yoga classes I have to be creative and realistic with my goals for May

*lose 4 pounds

*yoga in the motorhome at least twice a week

*at least 10,000 steps a day

*stay connected to all of you regularly

Big hugs to all of you :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Barbie
  • ellens292
    ellens292 Posts: 176
    Options
    Happy May to everyone! Isn't it wonderful.
    I'm new to this thread, but goals for May - well,just 1 for now.
    Lose 5 lbs.
    Out walking this am, actually did a hill, nitro only once and I feel OK now after a little sitdown, so that's improvement.
    Ellen
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I just finished going through some photo CDs looking for something and saw photos of me from the last three years when I was stuffing myself into those size 16 pants that I threw away... Today I am wearing my new size 10 pants and size small T shirt that I bought yesterday. They are snug, but they fit and I didn't have to lie down to zip the jeans.

Way to go Barbie! :happy: I hope to be able to report something very similar before the end of this year.

I worked out in the new flowerbed most of the day. Now to get cleaned up to take the inlaws out for our usual Friday night fish.
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I managed to log in my food. Did not get to the gym. I feel I did pretty good today.

I also hope to get rid of my larger clothes. FOR GOOD!

Best to all.

Kathy
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    EVERYONE SEEMS FOCUSED ON REALISTIC GOALS WHICH IS GREAT.

JUST A FEW COMMENTS .

MUST TELL BARBIE THAT GETTING INTO THE SIZE 10 PANTS AND SMALL T SHIRT MUST FEEL SO WONDERFUL AND SHE DESERVES IT. BARBIE, YOU WORKED VERY HARD IN APRIL AND IT PAID OFF. CONGRATULATIONS.

HEATHER, I SAW KIRSTIE. PEOPLE WHO CONSTANTLY GAIN BACK ALL THE WEIGHT THEY LOSE AND THEN PROCEED TO GIVE ADVICE HAVE SUCH BIG EGOS. NOTICE KIRSTIE WILL ONCE AGAIN MAKE A LOT OF MONEY DOING THIS. WHATEVER HER NEW PLAN IS,I AM SURE THE POOR SOULS OUT THERE STRUGGLING TO LOSE WILL TRY IT. SHE SAID SHE FELT SHE LET EVERYONE DOWN. SHE IS NOW GOING TO CHANGE ALL OF THAT. WHAT A JOKE. SAME FOR OPRAH. GO BACK AND THINK OF ALL THE YEARS SHE HAS BEEN SAYING "THIS IS IT,I HAVE THE ANSWER" THEN GAINED IT ALL BACK. I FEEL FOR THEM,BUT THEY SHOULD LEAVE THE PUBLIC OUT OF THEIR WEIGHT LOSS BATTLES. THEY DO NOT HAVE THE ANSWER.

ELLEN, GLAD TO SEE YOU JOINED US FOR MAY. WELCOME. WISH YOU THE BEST.

I WANT TO WISH YOU ALL SUCCESS. I KNOW YOU WILL REACH YOUR GOALS AND WE WILL ALL DO OUR BEST TO BE HERE FOR EACH OTHER.

ANNE
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    BARB, HOW ABOUT MAKING A LIST OF YOUR GOALS IN LARGE RED PRINT AND HANGING IT ON THE REFRIGERATOR. YOU SAID WRITING IT OUT HERE IS GOOD TO LOOK BACK ON,SO WHY NOT SEEING IN FRONT OF YOU EVERY DAY? CAN'T HURT. I KEEP MY SAYING "FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION" AND MY PICTURE RECEIVING ONE OF MY AWARDS FROM TOPS FOR 42 CONSECUTIVE WEEKS OF LOSING WEIGHT,RIGHT THERE TO REMIND ME HOW FAR I HAVE COME. IT DOES HELP ME. AT FIRST I KEPT MY BEFORE PICTURE THERE,UGH!! THEN I THOUGHT ,OK, NOW MOVE ON, YOU ARE NOT THAT WOMAN ANY MORE AND I TOOK IT OFF REPLACING IT WITH A MORE CONFIDENT ME. I KNOW YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO DO FOR YOURSELF. GOOD LUCK.

MY GOALS FOR MAY:

LOSE 4LBS
    WALK 4 TIMES A WEEK MORE THAN 1 AND 1/4 MILE (THAT IS WHERE I AM NOW) HEY , I'LL BE 65 MAY 25TH AND USED A WALKER FOR A TIME JUST TO GET AROUND THE BLOCK. LOL
    DRINK THAT WATER 8 GLASSES 8 OZ'S (EVEN IF I DO PUT 1OZ FLAVOR)

WISH EVERYONE THE BEST IN MAY. YOU ALL HAVE THE POWER TO SUCCEED. PLAN AHEAD AND "BELIEVE".

ANNE

Anne,

This sounds like a good idea. I guess great minds think alike :wink: My middle name is "Ann" so maybe it's genetic :laugh: I guess I will have to move some of those refrigerator magnets and make room for something important and worthwhile.

I am not sure I have the time for the suggestion that appeared later about charts and giving oneself stars, but that is certainly something that couldn't hurt if one was so inclined.

I just thought of something my late paternal grandmother had posted on her fridge, during the time she was participating in TOPS (Take OFF Pounds Sensibly, for anyone who isn't familiar with the acronym)--the sign said "You here, again??" It always made me smile :happy: and is one of the many things I miss about her. She would be 101 years old this year, if she were still alive, but unfortunately, we lost her in 1998.

BARBIECAT :Congratulations on your new clothes. I have a closet full of things that I am looking forward to wearing in about 25 more lbs.

Today I had lunch at TGI Fridays, and thanks to the database, I was able to order something that didn't break the "National Bank of Calories." --Dragonfire Chicken--a little high in sodium, but low fat and reasonable in terms of calories. It was very good, but NOT very filling. I had an apple about 3 hours later. They need to triple the amount of broccoli they serve with it. Even with 3 glasses of water, it was not particularly filling, though very tasty.

The fact that I declined dessert and ignored the Margarita that I am sure was calling my name :noway: when I walked past the bar are all positives.:smile:

Well, I have to go hop in the car and pick up my two little furry angels :heart: :heart: from the groomers. Today is Mai Li's weigh day, so we will see if all those walks with "mom" have helped her waistline any. Gee, do dogs HAVE a waistline?....Well, if they don't they are probably better off. One less thing to worry about, right??:laugh:

Tomorrow is my "weigh day", so Happy May to all, and "MAY" you have a good weekend.

Barb

PS--RIGHT ON, Anne, for your remarks about Oprah and Kirstie. I have nothing against either of them, and the fact that they are both able to afford personal chefs, trainers, etc. and STILL end up gaining like the rest of the population, just confirms that fact that "It don't come Easy" as Ringo once said.

I do agree it is unfortunate that their "public" gets taken in by all the hype surrounding their various "plans" and "programs" and they end up with a financial reward to boot.
  • Grammymax
    Options
    :flowerforyou: So many of you have such good goals. Write them down and post them somewhere you will see them everyday so you can stay focused! :flowerforyou:

Barb: Pizza is such a temptation for me. I have found that the Papa Murphy’s Delite pizza is quite tasty. I buy a pizza, cut it up in individual pieces and freeze it for other days. My hubby would rather have the loaded pizza :laugh: :wink: Good job passing up on those high calorie items on the menu at TGI Fridays.

Anne: Thanks for the well wishes. We actually are taking our trailer this next week for 4 days and then returning, cleaning it out and leaving the next Monday with my sis and brother-in-law in their 5th wheel. But it will be a fun trip with family and I’m going to find the sun!:happy:

Kathy: Those are excellent goals for May. :flowerforyou: I’m so glad you’re online and keeping yourself going. Hope you are getting more peace these days!

Dricotta: You have come through a very tough year. I’m glad you’re positive and even though I am sure there are days you still struggle I’m glad you’re moving on and taking care of you. I’ve recently lost my brother to cancer after 8 years of fighting it. He will always have a place in my heart.:brokenheart:

Heather: Great attitude. You can do it! I didn’t see Oprah but I know Kirstie was looking really good when she was the spokeswoman for J.C. but she was going to start her own exercise program at that time. I really believe that overeating is an addiction and if we don’t deal with it then it will take us down. Hopefully she can get back on track and stay there.

Marie: That’s right – it’s all about making the right choices. Keep your goals realistic and you’ll get there!

Susan: Isn’t it great when the weather allows us to do those outside things for exercise! That’s the kind I’d rather do.

Barbie: WOW - you are amazing. :smile: 10 # in one month and a size 10!!!! You go girl! You are an inspiration to me. I have a plastic tote full of size 10 jeans that I want to get back into.

Ellen: Welcome to this thread. It’s a good one filled with great and encouraging women.

I worked out this morning, mowed and edged our lawn, made MANY trips back and forth from the trailer to the house stocking and organizing! I figured about 800 calories were burned! I'm exhausted though and still have my housework to do before bed. Best get going!

Have a great Weekend everyone.

Esther
  • sparkyspal
    sparkyspal Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Good Morning lovely ladies..What a positive, encouraging group.. Mind if I chime in once in awhile?
    I just started watching my weight after 20 pounds mysteriously crept on my body.. This has been a long journey for me (156 lb loss) so gaining this weight has been really troublesome to me..I realize that it is all part of mind and food choice adjustments.. I can be so bad..but I am not going to slap myself around.

I have a wedding to go to at the end of May..where I will encounter my sweethearts ex-wife..I know that I will be the talk of the "old crowd" .. Not that I care much..but there is a "little black dress" that I have 20 pounds to lose to get back into..

My goal..
    lose that 20 pounds..
    get into that little black dreww

I like being 50+ a whole lot better than 40 something.. It just seemed like life came together and all the calamity of all those prior years settled down.. Somehow I got wiser and calmer..
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    BARB I LOVE GRANDMA'S SAYING, IT IS "TOPS".

SPARKYSPAL, YOU ARE WELCOME ANYTIME. WHAT AN ACHIEVEMENT TO LOSE 156 LBS. GLAD YOU ARE STOPPING RIGHT NOW AND GETTING BACK ON TRACK 100%. PUT THAT LITTLE BLACK DRESS RIGHT OUT IN FRONT SO YOU CAN SEE IT EVERY DAY. WISH YOU THE BEST.

ANNE