50+ WOMEN FOR THE MONTH OF MAY

Options

Replies

• plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: My ipod shuffle fell victim to the wash and I had to buy another. I did go on the net to see if others had the same problem and read some had good luck. Their ipod came back to life. Well, not mine. I just could not live without my music while exercising. :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Swiss don't get yourself down. I yo-yo constantly, and I'm not giving up. It will come off if you just keep at it. I have a love hate relationship with my scale. :bigsmile: I agree with healthier4me:flowerforyou: be kind to yourself and give it time. :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: Barbie you are a rock. Great job on your meals. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: I love the expectations thread. It helps to keep me in perspective.

Best to all.

:heart: Kathy
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I have not told too many people this but this past weekend my cell phone fell into the toilet. For those here who know me..I spend way to much time in the bathroom. Anyway, I stood up and my phone fell out of my pocket. I had just bought it this past March. It even records videos. I love it. I immediately took the cover off it it and used the blow dryer on it. At first when I would touch a number a whole bunch of numbers would appear so I left it over night and it is fine now. The only problem is that I yanked the back off of it to dry it and now the back will not stay on.

OK, everyone, how do I get the scale to go down instead of bouncing back and forth like it is doing?
  • dricotta1
    dricotta1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This is great! We moved from animals to cell phone catastrophes. I love our flexibility! I don't have a dunking my cell phone or i-pod story. I'm pretty new to both. But I certainly will be more aware of pockets. I'm just fortunate that money washes well:blushing: :bigsmile:

My exercise friend uses WW and it really works for her. I've found that the points and calories translate really well, so if you just log food and exercise you should be good. Welcome.

I also know about that up and down fickle scale thing. Everyone's right..just keep plugging. It works in the long run.

Diane
  • committed
    committed Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone - taking a break from working on financial statements that are due tomorrow. It has been a very hectic long day with one benefit - no time to eat. I really need to eat something, but it's too late and I'm too tired. :yawn: :yawn: I did log my food that I had today only 340 calories and 4 cups of water, I'll try to do better tomorrow..

Today was our first day in over a week that we haven't had rain. Sunday, my garden looked like a lake - I may need to plant rice as suggested if it keeps this up. Forecast isn't looking too great for the next week either. At least with it raining, I'm not feeling too guilty that I haven't been getting home 'til 9 p.m. The first week of each month I have basically 14 hr + days so no time for gardening or eating.:sad:

It sounds like we all have had electronic issues - I have my personal cell phone and my work Blackberry - juggling the two in the car with my traveling coffee - I knocked my cell phone in my coffee cup. At least the cup wasn't fulled so I only immersed half of the phone. I took it apart and set it up straight and after it dried it worked!!! Now I'm definitely more careful.:bigsmile:

Haven't weighed this week, but I was able to get into some of my clothes from two years ago - when I meet my goal I'll be able to wear my clothes from 8 years ago. I steadily gained 10 lbs a year until I made up my mind enough is enough so right now I've gotten rid of three years worth of weight only 4 more years worth to go!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Well, it's back to the numbers:grumble: :grumble:

Nancy:heart:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    This is great! We moved from animals to cell phone catastrophes. I love our flexibility! I don't have a dunking my cell phone or i-pod story. I'm pretty new to both. But I certainly will be more aware of pockets. I'm just fortunate that money washes well:blushing: :bigsmile: ........."

Diane

I hope the Treasury isn't watching us. I didn't realize we had anyone on the thread who was into "money laundering" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry, I am know for my inability to resist puns!!:smile:

Barb
  • weaklink109
    Options
    I have not told too many people this but this past weekend my cell phone fell into the toilet. For those here who know me..I spend way to much time in the bathroom. Anyway, I stood up and my phone fell out of my pocket. I had just bought it this past March. It even records videos. I love it. I immediately took the cover off it it and used the blow dryer on it. At first when I would touch a number a whole bunch of numbers would appear so I left it over night and it is fine now. The only problem is that I yanked the back off of it to dry it and now the back will not stay on.

OK, everyone, how do I get the scale to go down instead of bouncing back and forth like it is doing?

Swiss, your story brings back memories of a similar incident that happened with a pager I had. The only good thing about the situation, as I recall, was that it happened upon arrival, rather than prior to departure from the throne, so at least the water was comparitively pristine.:laugh: :laugh:

I do recall having great difficulty keeping a straight face when I returned it to the office of my service provider and told them it "just stopped working," after making sure it had dried out thoroughly.

As for the scale, one technique is to hold on to the towel bar while weighing, :noway: which can result in a miraculous 1-2 lb. loss when you really need it.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, I know how maddening that can be. Maybe it is time to try a little zig zagging on calories to shake things up a bit with your metabolism. Just a thought.

Barb
  • weaklink109
    Options
    One good bit of news. It FINALLY STOPPED RAINING TODAY!! When I got off work, I managed about 2 miles in 45 minutes w/ the doggies, which enabled me to have a decent dinner without breaking the "National Bank of Calorie"

I hope to do another 4-6 miles on Friday, if the weatherman isn't lying about how the afternoon will be.

I am learning my lesson tonight. Even though I was very tired when I got home, now that I took that walk and ate dinner, I am wide awake, but still have to get up at 3:45a:noway: so I am TRYING to wind down.

Little doggies are NOT helping. You haven't experienced a challenge until you try to keyboard on your laptop in a living room chair while dealing with an ever persistent Shih tzu who thinks my lap is the only seat in the house that meets his requirements.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Earlier today, these two made me laugh. Pepper went out the doggie door in the rain to do what little doggies have to do from time to time, regardless of the weather. A few minutes later, Mai Li, who was in her usual observation post, looking through the sliding door watching for any signs of back yard activity, began barking and growling, as though she could see something. I could see nothing so I told her so, and suggested, in a less than subtle fashion that she shut up. She ignored me and got more vocal.

It took a minute, but I figured out who the recipient of her attention was. Poor Pepper was standing just outside the doggie door, which is about 2 feet away from where Mai Li was laying. She was making it clear to him that he could not come back in the house...at least not until mom intervened!!!:laugh: :laugh:

I gave Pepper "safe passage" back into the house while Mai Li sulked :grumble: :grumble: at the injusttice of it all!!

A doggie treat for both, and all was forgiven.:heart::heart:

Well, I am finally staring to feel like it is bedtime:yawn: so best wishes to all
    and to all a Good Night!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Barb
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    GOOD MORNING ALL,

LOSE2CRUISE, WELCOME, WISH YOU THE BEST IN REACHING YOUR GOALS.

KATHY, SO GLAD YOU CHANGED THAT STATEMENT TO "THIS TIME WHEN I GET THERE I AM NEVER GOING BACK UP, UP UP". AT WW THE LEADER SPOKE ABOUT THE WAY WE THINK AND SELF TALK AND HOW IT MEANS SO MUCH TO BE OPTIMISTIC, TO TELL YOURSELF, I CAN DO IT.

TEENTCHR, DO YOU HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO REALISTICALLY REACH YOUR GOAL? WISHING YOU SUCCESS.

ELLEN, TAKE THE THINGS YOU REALLY LIKE TO A TAILOR AND GIVE THE REST AWAY AS YOU LOSE THE WEIGHT. WE JUST USE ONE EXCUSE AFTER ANOTHER TO HOLD O TO OUR OLD WAYS. BE POSITIVE. ALSO HAVING NO CLOTHES TO WEAR IF YOU GAIN , KEEPS YOU ON TARGET.

BARB, GLAD YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY FULL PRICE FOR THE PHONE AND THAT THE MEMORY CARD WAS OK.. LOVE THE TREASURY JOKE, LOL. HAPPY FOR YOU THAT THE RAIN HAS STOPPED.

BECKY, I'M NOT SURE HOW MUCH WEIGHT YOU HAVE ALREADY LOST. I SEE THE TICKER,BUT I DID NOT PUT MY ENTIRE LOSS ON MY TICKER. YOU SHOW A LOSS OF 12LBS. SO, YOU HAVE DONE A GREAT JOB. YOU ARE MORE THAN HALF WAY TO GOAL, BRAVO. NOW, IS THERE A REASON THE SCALE IS GOING UP AND DOWN? THE FOLLOWING IS A CHECK LIST. LOOK IT OVER AND IF YOU CAN HONESTLY SAY YES TO ALL THE QUESTIONS, COULD IT BE A PHYSICAL PROBLEM OR A PLATEAU?

1) AM I EATING A HEALTHY SNACK EVERY 3 OR 4 HOURS

2) AM I STARTING EACH DAY WITH A PLAN THAT I KNOW WORKS FOR ME

3) AM I AVOIDING FOODS I HAVE A LONG HISTORY OF ABUSING

4) AM I KEEPING PROBLEM FOODS OUT OF SIGHT

5) AM I AVOIDING MINDLESS NIBBLING

6) AM I EATING TOO MUCH OF THE "RIGHT" FOODS

7) AM I WATCHING FOR HIDDEN CALORIES

8) AM I REMINDING MYSELF THIS IS NOT ABOUT BEING DEPRIVED, BUT LIVING A HAPPIER
    HEALTHIER LIFE

9) IF I AM HAVING PROBLEMS, AM I WRITING DOWN EVERYTHING I EAT SO I CAN BE SURE
    I AM ON TRACK AND AM I EXERCISING AS MUCH AS I USED TO

I'LL BE THINKING OF YOU. YOU HAVE SO MANY FRIENDS HERE ROOTING FOR YOU, REMEMBER THAT. YOU CAN DO THIS.

BARBIE, YOU ARE SUCH A WONDERFUL EXAMPLE OF WHAT WE CAN DO WHEN WE REALLY WANT SOMETHING. WHAT GREAT PLANNING.

NANCY, YOU WIN FOR MOST INTERESTING PHONE STORY, LOL.
    QUESTION, WILL YOU BE GIVING YOUR FAT CLOTHES AWAY?
    PLEASE BE SURE TO FIND A MINUTE TO EAT A LITTLE SOMETHING, YOUR BODY NEEDS FUEL.

HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE.

ANNE
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Morning All,

I read all the post but of course no time at this moment to respond personally.

We have a bunch of great funny ladies, and with inspiration kicked in. I love reading.

Don't forget to eat to fuel the body. That sounds so foreign doesn't it????

Have a great morning. I check in later.

• AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    MY PHONE STORY

My phone story is very unlike the rest of yours. So far mine has never gone skinny dipping with my jeans, done an up close inspection of anyone's toilet bowl or any other kind of aquatic adventure. My first phone story involves a pay phone. When we moved from West Texas to Arkansas the winter of my twenty-sixth year we had just lost our shirt in the oil field bust of the mid-eighties and found ourselves living on an monthly income equal to what our house payment had been in Texas. Hubby couldn't find work in his trade and had taken an entry level position in another industry to put food on the table. We had two preschoolers and were thankful to HAVE a job! Once a MONTH I walked half a mile down the road to call my mother COLLECT from a PAY phone. Remember those? It was a year before we got a home phone. In the meantime, Mom and Dad drove the 700+ miles once a quarter to come see us. (Three years later they moved 10 minutes away.)

My first experience with a cell phone came fifteen years later when we tried our hand at owning a restaurant. I was making LOTS of trips for supplies alone and the cell phone was my sanity. We didn't have texting back then..

But my present phone story is the one I was wanting to share: We had just renewed our contract with our carrier for another two years three weeks before we made the decision to move BACK to West Texas. Turns out their service ends 15 miles from us, so they let us out of our contract with no disconnect fee. I was sorta glad because after 16 months of being on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with Moma, I welcomed the opportunity to be cell phone-less. It felt WONDERFUL to be able to go shopping or on a date with hubby without being interrupted. After about 3 months of this I received a package in the mail containing an amethyst razor phone (purple has always been my favorite color) and a note from my son who is stationed in Oregon which read,

"Dear Mom,
    I'm tired of not being able to talk to you anytime I want,so I'm sending you this purple phone. You are now on my family plan with unlimited texting. This means you can talk to me or Em (his sister) anytime you want now since we are all on the same network.
    Your loving son, Trey"

Here's a photo me and my thoughtful son from Christmas
    s120711233.jpg

Now I'm heading outside to pull weeds and mow.
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Sue, Great phone stories. Your sounds like a living doll. How nice is that.

Hope your aches and pains are getting better.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    You are all so wonderful to get together with in the morning.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Jake is meditating, the pets are sleeping, and I’ve been asked to sit still and be quiet (not easy for me) :laugh: :laugh: so I’m spending this time with you.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Anne----thank you for the great checklist. I can’t get too much helpful information and you provide a lot of it. Last night was the first meal I’ve eaten in months that had “leftovers” and I caught myself picking at them after dinner. It was broiled vegetables so it wasn’t like finishing up the rest of the birthday cake but even so, it took me right back to my old way of thinking and eating.

:flowerforyou: Susan ----your phone stories are great. It’s important to realize that we didn’t always have cell phones. I was born shortly after WWII and my mom says that because she was pregnant she was able to go to the top of the list to even get a house phone with a party line. In the late 80’s when Jake and I were “courting” we lived 350 miles apart and each had $300.00 a month phone bills keeping in touch with each other. Your son is a treasure. You are so blessed. Thanks for sharing the great picture:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Barb—How do you manage to have a funny story for every occasion and a funny solution to every problem? Your dogs sound like so much fun

:flowerforyou: Kathy----thanks for the funny picture and the positive thinking about NEVER going back

:flowerforyou: Nancy---I loved your cell phone story----how fortunate that you still have clothes from before. As I was discarding all the “big” clothes that don’t fit I couldn’t bear to think about all the “smaller” clothes that I gave away years ago because I had no hopes of ever getting back into them.

Now it’s time for breakfast---oatmeal, applesauce, banana
    my favorite.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Barbie:heart::love:
  • lose2cruise
    lose2cruise Posts: 107
    Options
    Good morning all! I'm am doing very well on the scale this week after finding this site. I was very motivated this AM, got on the treadmill and burned 350 calories! Thanks for all your responses and good wishes. Hope to get to know you better!
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Checking in again. I know, I'm just crazy about this site. I just finished the BL DVD and feel great. So, now I got my strength training in. I had to help my daughter in law Rose this morning so I could not get to the gym at my regular time. So, I will get to the gym after my afternoon "drive". (I usually call it a "run" but I don't want to confuse anyone:bigsmile: ) Hubby might come with me to the gym. We go with each other when we can. I go more often then he does when I am on my regular schedule.

Lose2cruise Great job with the treadmill. Keep at it. :drinker: :drinker:

When I at the gym I try to alternate machines, from elliptical, treadmill & the ark (some form of a stepper and elliptical thingy) I love the ark the most. It gets me to really lift my legs and can really up the resistance. Not to many peeps my age go on it so I'm pretty proud of that.

It feels so good when I'm on my regular exercise routine.

Gee, what stories are we going to come up with today?? Barb, I'm depending on you. :laugh:

BIG (((((HUGS)))))) TO ALL.

I'm sure I will be checking in during dinner.

Well, going to make my spinach salad. Yum.

• Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Good Day

Things are moving along nicely today. I was having a little trouble moving on from a bad case of the "poor me's" but I had a little talk with myself and have beat the blues for today!! My 'work-out' space got taken over last night by my daughter and her homework but I went for a walk outside instead of doing the dvd so all was not lost. Homework is important too (or at least letting mom think you're doing math when really you're watching 'what not to wear':laugh: ).
    I had a meeting last night so I was happy that I fit the little bit of exercise in after dinner. It's true what they say - You can always make time. I may have only burned 200 calories but it's better than nothing.

FFL Anne - perfect list. I have printed it off and am sure to refer to it often Thanks a bunch!

Sue - your son is a real peach - you must be soo proud of the man he has become

Welcome lose2cruise

Kathy - Halfway to goal??? awesome:flowerforyou:

everyone have a great day.
    Heather
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    hi all - i've been so busy - i've been READING all your posts - just not having time to respond. SORRY!:tongue:

Anne - i know you were talking about Brooklyn/LI and John Gotti - yes yes - i DO remember. That must have been interesting growing up down the block! The block i grew up on was kind of like "little Italy!" The Paganos, Addios, Decuzis.........and more who's names i can no longer remember! I think we had a little mafia activity going on locally as well! But that was a LONG time ago! How long have you lived in FL? I have a friend who lives with her daughter's family on LI all summer but has a little place in Delray Beach FL for the winter 'cause she HATES the cold.

I was cracking up at everyone's cell phone stories!!!!!! I've been pretty lucky with mine. When the times have come that i've upgraded my boys are always making fun of my old fashioned phone!

Oh Susan - your story about Trey giving you the cell phone brought tears to my eyes. THanks for sharing that one!

Sorry this is so brief - i'll try and post later on tonight! :drinker: cheers! elli
  • momof10
    momof10 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    good evening and nice to meet all .. my name is debbie and i am a mom to 10 four still at home plus a grandchild i have been 50 pounds over weight for a long time and once again trying to leave it behind i am also going to be 56 on the 23... we pick up a wii and my little overweight purple woman says i have been working on working out for 68 days.. i can honestly say i have miss a few.. i have been going 223 to 218 back up and back down i really want to keep going down i love this site that i found here and thank you everyone who posts i love ready and seeing that i am not alone... ok i just wanted to say hi debbie
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hi everybody,

Just a short one to check in. I actually did walk yesterday after all. In the evening I managed to do 45 minutes and didn't get wet. :drinker:

Today, on the other hand, in the space of 40 minutes we went from sunshine with a few clouds, to overcast, to drippy enough for the doggies and I to take refuge in a strategically-placed bush shelter for about 5 minutes. :grumble:

By the time we were halfway back home, the sun was back out as though it had never happened. As we say here in the "Pacific Northwet" -"If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!!!":laugh: :laugh:

This brings to mind another mantra from my time in Oregon, "People in Oregon don' t tan, they rust!"

The strangest weather event that ever happened to me when I lived in Oregon was being in the Central Oregon Cascades in the last week of August and getting SNOWED on. I was on my honeymoon, and while the snow was a big surprise to me, my now ex-hubby assured me that snow can happen anytime in the mountains.

I finally believed him when it snowed this year in Seattle in APRIL.:laugh: :laugh:

This is a quick check in for now...have things to do before I return to work this afternoon.

:flowerforyou: I have read what everyone had to say, and I loved the story about the purple razor phone,--sounds like someone has a very special son.

:flowerforyou: Also, Anne's list was the equivalent of dietary "tough love." Makes me want to get an ink cartridge so I can print it and tape it to the fridge.

:flowerforyou: Barbie- Good for you on noticing your behaviour. I have always had that problem when I cook.

Now, I really must depart for now.:smile:

Barb

Have a good rest of the day, everyone!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    :happy: :laugh: :happy: :tongue: I am sitting here with THE BIGGEST GRIN on my face....
    For the FIRST time since I started this weight loss journey I lost MORE than a pound in a week's time!

Today's weigh in shows me down 2 pounds for a grand total of 12 so far.

I worked in the yard until about mid afternoon. Now it is time to get cleaned up. Tonight hubby is taking me to the once a month free music night at our local Jr College. :flowerforyou:
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    :happy: :laugh: :happy: :tongue: I am sitting here with THE BIGGEST GRIN on my face....
    For the FIRST time since I started this weight loss journey I lost MORE than a pound in a week's time!

Today's weigh in shows me down 2 pounds for a grand total of 12 so far.

Way to go Sue you must feel fantastic:flowerforyou: Congratulations on the weight loss:wink: I also loved the story about your son and the cell phone. It sure made my day reading about the wonderful relationship you have with each other:heart: Keep up the great work:flowerforyou: with your weight loss.

I have had another sedentary day. Still recovering from my illness:sick: Feeling a little bit stronger so hopefully soon I can get back on track. I sure am enjoying reading the thread.

Welcome to the newest members and great big congrats to all those dropping those pounds. Keep up the fantastic job:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Marie:heart: