50+ WOMEN FOR THE MONTH OF MAY

Options

Replies

• plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    :happy: :laugh: :happy: :tongue: I am sitting here with THE BIGGEST GRIN on my face....
    For the FIRST time since I started this weight loss journey I lost MORE than a pound in a week's time!

Today's weigh in shows me down 2 pounds for a grand total of 12 so far.

I worked in the yard until about mid afternoon. Now it is time to get cleaned up. Tonight hubby is taking me to the once a month free music night at our local Jr College. :flowerforyou:

Way to go. I can feel your excitement through the computer screen. I so happy for you. Yehhhhhh!!!

Marie:flowerforyou: hope you are feeling better soon:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

:heart: Kathy
  • plantlady99
    Options
    31.jpg

I just love these cartoons.

• Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Susan...that is great. I know that you will do better than I. Two weeks ago I lost three pounds but I found them.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: momof10...I am 58 years old. I have eight children and also eight grandchildren. I know how hard the baby weight is to lose. I am finding it a lot harder to lose since menopause. :mad: I think that we can encourage each other.
  • ellens292
    ellens292 Posts: 176
    Options
    Checking in for the day. Due to rain, walked the mall. Made it once without stopping to shop and once more with a few stops. And looks like the calories are under the quota.

Kathy - I don't know where you get those cartoons but they are sure good for a chuckle. Thanks.

Anne - Thanks for all your words of wisdom. Good reminders plus 'food' for thought.:laugh: :laugh:

Susan - Congratulations on your week's loss. I guess the outdoor work helps maybe?

I'm not remembering everyone's posts but like others, I really enjoy reading your comments and encouragement.

Ellen
  • sparkyspal
    sparkyspal Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Today I went to my daughter's college graduation.. Wet soggy day in an open air stadium.. I am 54 yrs old.. Was divorced after a 27 year marriage 9 yrs ago.. My ex left me for a younger thinner woman who was at this ceremony, Only the second time in 9 years I have had to encounter her.. The last time I met her I was 250 lbs..today 4 years later .. 176 and working my way down .. I still think she is the nastiest person I have ever seen..but I looked and felt great in my soaked attire and hair. And my youngest child walked the asle to pick up her degree..only to be moving away in 3 weeks to take her first full-time job. Emotional day good and bittersweet.. Felt alittle need for candy tonight..so you guys can let me have it..to get me back on track..

Pam
  • plantlady99
    Options
    good evening and nice to meet all .. my name is debbie and i am a mom to 10 four still at home plus a grandchild i have been 50 pounds over weight for a long time and once again trying to leave it behind i am also going to be 56 on the 23... we pick up a wii and my little overweight purple woman says i have been working on working out for 68 days.. i can honestly say i have miss a few.. i have been going 223 to 218 back up and back down i really want to keep going down i love this site that i found here and thank you everyone who posts i love ready and seeing that i am not alone... ok i just wanted to say hi debbie

Welcome Debbie:bigsmile:
  • plantlady99
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Pam, you keep on going. What you went through has to be so hard. Enjoy your candy, BUT, don't let it get away from you. 176 feels so much better then 250 doesn't it. I sure know myself. :flowerforyou:

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
    Hi everybody,

Just a short one to check in. I actually did walk yesterday after all. In the evening I managed to do 45 minutes and didn't get wet. :drinker:

Today, on the other hand, in the space of 40 minutes we went from sunshine with a few clouds, to overcast, to drippy enough for the doggies and I to take refuge in a strategically-placed bush shelter for about 5 minutes. :grumble:....."

I just read my post from earlier today, and just want to clarify, I was NOT on SAFARI, so it was a BUS, shelter, rather than a "bush" shelter that we sought refuge in during the rain!!:laugh: :laugh:

I have been thinking we need a spell checker on the message board, but that still wouldn't have saved me from this typo.

Just watching the evening news, and I knew it rained a lot in the last couple of days, but THIS is ridiculous: Astoria, a town on the Pacific Coast about 100 miles northwest ( or should I say "northwet":laugh: :laugh: from where I live, broke a record that has stood for 112 years!!:noway: for amount of rain received in one day!! If that wasn't enough, they had a TORNADO in Eastern Oregon.

Suzzzque--Congratulations on the multiple pounds in one week. That is a GREAT feeling.
    I hope to be feeling it this weekend on my weigh in, but I probably shouldn't raise my expectations too hight to avoid disappointment:ohwell:

Welcome newcomers. This is a great site and this is the BEST thread .

To the lady who fell off the wagon and landed on a candy bar--don't beat yourself up. Tomorrow is another day!!.

You may remember the saga of the incredible swimming cell phone--well today I called the company that handles Sprint's equipment insurance, and the person I spoke to proceeded to try and convince me that they were going to send me a phone that was "just like the model you had only better":noway:

File that statement in the same place as "this won't hurt a bit":laugh: and "oh no, those pants don't make you look at all fat" :laugh: This same person couldn't answer any of the questions I had about the new phone, such as whether it would use the same battery and charger as my old phone.--important considerations, since I have an extra battery and more than one charger and it costs to replace on those things if they aren't interchangeable with the new equipment.

The reason they were so eager to send me a different model was supposedly because the model I drowned was no longer "available" I was told. Only problem was it still was very much available online, and the person I was talking to also couldn't tell me if they were just temporarily out of stock or if it really was no longer available.:grumble:

I decided a little research was in order, so I went to the Sprint location where I had set up my service a year ago. I looked at the phone the insurance provider's employee had told me was an "upgrade"--it was completely different from the model I had. Though I consider myself is a fairly proficient "tech" person, this looked like you needed to go to engineering school to figure out how to use it. It also had a music player I neither want or need.

Fortunately, the guy that helped me a year ago was still there, and he called around and found me an identical phone to the one I had, and gave me a great discount on it to boot, so I go and pick it up tomorrow morning.:bigsmile: It will be WONDERFUL to be "wireless" once again!! Besides, I miss my phone's camera. I could have taken a great picture of doggies in tall grass where all you could see were a couple of curly tails sticking out about the grass, but it will have to wait for another day.

Now all I have to do is keep my fingers from falling off when I start re-entering all those phone numbers!!!:laugh: :laugh:

Well, once again, I am going to bed TOOOOOOO LATE!! :yawn:

:flowerforyou: Barb:flowerforyou:
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    BARB, GLAD YOU ARE ALL SET WITH THE PHONE YOU WANT. I THOUGHT YOU SAID THEY TOLD YOU 50.00 INSTEAD OF 300.00 AND THE PRICE WAS ALREADY FIXED? IF I AM WRONG JUST GIVE ME A PASS, SENIOR MOMENT, AGAIN. LOL REGARDING MY CHECKLIST, GO GET THAT CARTRIDGE.

SUSAN, YIPPEE!! 2 MORE POUNDS GONE, 12 TOTAL, GOOD GOING. YOU SURE DID SOMETHING RIGHT TO HAVE A SON THAT WANTS TO STAY IN CLOSE CONTACT WITH YOU. THAT WAS A LOVELY STORY.

MARIE, TAKE CARE AND GET WELL SOON. GLAD YOU SOUND UPBEAT AND ARE NOT LETTING THIS ILLNESS GET YOU DOWN.

BECKY, DON'T BE TOO HARD ON YOURSELF, YOU WILL DROP THESE POUNDS AGAIN. JUST KEEP GOING.

ELLEN, GOOD JOB ON THE CALORIES AND WALKING.

DEBBIE, WELCOME. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. WE ARE ALL HERE WITH YOU AND FOR YOU. THIS WILL BE THE TIME THAT YOU DO IT. YOU WILL LOSE THE WEIGHT. THINK HARD ABOUT WHY YOU ARE GOING UP AND DOWN. THEN, MAKE A PLAN AND STICK TO IT. DO YOU WRITE DOWN WHAT YOU EAT EACH DAY? I KNOW YOU ARE PROBABLY A VERY BUSY PERSON, BUT YOU HAVE TO MAKE A LITTLE TIME FOR YOURSELF TO DO THAT. KEEPING A WRITTEN RECORD IS HIGH ON THE LIST OF SUCCESSFUL DIETERS. WISH YOU THE BEST.

BARBIE, GLAD YOU LIKED THE CHECKLIST. THOSE LEFTOVERS CAN GET TO US. MY FAMILY KNOWS THAT AFTER OUR MEAL THEY DISAPPEAR INTO THE FRIDGE REALLY FAST. WHY, MOM MAY EAT THEM. YOU EAT SO HEALTHY AND THAT IN ITSELF IS THE BIGGEST PLUS.

BETH, GOOD FOR YOU - DOESN'T IT FEEL GREAT TO BE MOTIVATED AND KNOW YOU ARE DOING GOOD THINGS FOR YOUR BODY AND THEREFORE YOUR MIND? EXCELLENT!!

KATHY, YOU SHOULD BE EVER SO PROUD TO BE KEEPING UP WITH THE YOUNGER GROUP AT THE GYM. WOW!!!

HEATHER, THAT CHECKLIST KEPT ME MOVING FORWARD WHILE I LOST THOSE AWFUL 94LBS.
    THE TRICK WAS TO BE COMPLETELY HONEST ABOUT IT. WE THINK WE ARE DOING EVERYTHING AND THEN WE THINK , WELL I DID STOP MEASURING AND I HAVE BEEN TASTING A BIT WHEN I COOK. THINGS LIKE THAT. A REALITY CHECK CANNOT HURT. HOPE IT HELPS. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT IDEA ABOUT MAKING TIME FOR YOURSELF. THAT SEEMS TO BE ANOTHER EXCUSE THE FOLKS WHO DON'T WANT TO EXERCISE USE. THEY SAY EVEN TEN MINUTES MAKES A DIFFERENCE. WHO CANNOT FIND 10 MINUTES? WE HAVE TO PRIORITIZE. IT'S THE SAME AS THE PEOPLE WHO SAY THEY COULD NOT FIND TIME TO CALL YOU IN THREE MONTHS. TRUTH BE TOLD THEY FOUND OTHER THINGS THEY PUT FIRST. WE CANNOT AFFORD TO PUT EVERYTHING AHEAD OF OUR GOALS. WE'RE IMPORTANT TOO.

PAM, CONGRATULATIONS TO YOUR DAUGHTER. HER LEAVING HOME MUST BE SO HARD FOR YOU. YOU HAD A HARD DAY WITH MANY MIXED EMOTIONS. AS FOR THE CANDY, IF YOU DID EAT IT, FORGIVE YOURSELF AND MOVE ON. LEARN FROM IT. ASK NEXT TIME IF A SWEET WILL REALLY MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER FOR MORE THAN A MINUTE. ANSWER SHOULD BE NO!!!!
    REMIND YOURSELF THAT IT DIDN'T MAKE YOU HAPPY TO EAT THE WRONG FOODS,IT JUST MADE YOU FAT. IMAGINE THE NEXT TIME YOU SEE THE EX AND YOU ARE THIN AND LOOKING BETTER THAN EVER. IMAGE AND SELF TALK IS SO POWERFUL.

ELLIE, I'M WONDERING EXACTLY WHAT PART OF BROOKLYN YOU ARE FROM. I FORGET WHERE LITTLE ITALY WAS, BENSONHURST, NEW LOTS? I DON'T KNOW HOW INTERESTING IT WAS TO LIVE WHERE I DID BUT MY EX KNEW SOME "PEOPLE". ONCE SOMEONE DELIBERATELY BROKE MY SON'S CAR WINDOW (HE THOUGHT HIS CAR BELONGED TO SOMEONE ELSE). WHEN HE WOULD NOT PAY HE RECEIVED A VISIT AND WAS TALKED TO ABOUT DOING THE RIGHT THING. JUST LIKE IN THE MOVIES THE GUY CAME WITH THE MONEY AND WAS SO APOLOGETIC YOU HAD TO FEEL FOR HIM. I LIVE IN SAINT CLOUD FLORIDA AND HAVE BEEN HERE FOR ABOUT 6 YEARS.

WELL, WEIGHT LOSS BUDDIES, ANOTHER DAY BEGINS. WE WILL NOT GIVE IN, WE WILL NEVER GIVE UP AND WE WILL NOT HAVE A PIECE OF FOOD DICTATE WHAT OUR LIFE WILL BE LIKE. NUFF, SAID.

ANNE
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies. Did not check in yesterday. I did good though. Ate well, Did 60 min on treadmill at gym and 60 min in pool. My daughter and I bought a pool together about 8 years ago and it has been at her house. I went sometimes but mostly too much trouble. She decided that she did not want in her yard any longer so we moved to my yard. I love it. Have been in every day. I do laps, but mostly pool jogging. Burns lots of calories. If you have access to a pool, I highly reccommend.
    I am leaving to go out of town today, but I will be good. We have already checked out the address for snap fitness and will be there each day. Bringing computer so hope to blog but not sure will have time. Happy Mother's Day to all of you moms. Enjoy your day. To the rest have a great Sunday.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I have been thinking we need a spell checker on the message board...

If you have Google toolbar on your web browser there is a spell check built in. :happy: It makes it so much easier not to make typos or careless mistakes on message boards or anywhere else.

I'm heading outdoors to pull more weeds then its off to get my oil changed and a pedicure. Hubby says its my Mother's Day gift from Muffin (our canine baby).

Happy Friday ya'll! :flowerforyou:
  • dricotta1
    dricotta1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Welcome and Hello to all,
    Congrats to all who have lost, condolences to those who are going through hard times. I think that it's important (Pam) that even if we need that piece of candy or cake occasionally, we're aware that it's has to be occasional and then back to the healthy.

I've done well with eating and exercise this week so I'm hoping that tomorrow weigh-in will be good. At least in the right direction.

The little ones want to get outside, it's a beautiful day here in upstate NY. So....later. Diane
  • plantlady99
    Options
    Hello Ladies:flowerforyou:

I went to a memorial service this morning. A childhood friend passed away from Cancer. She was 45. God Bless heart Gail. She is not suffering anymore.brokenheart

I made it to the gym, rushed home showed and changed to get to the service. I put on a pair of 14 paints, I bought a few years back, but never got to wear. Now they are baggy and I have to take them in. Itongue was so happy and surprised.

They had a huge buffet. I had broccoli and a caesar salad. I was very proud of myself.

I might be eating out tonight so I did not want to eat all my calories.

I got so many complements on how I looked.bigsmile That sure is a motivator.

Best to all.

heart Kathy
  • weaklink109
    Options
    I have been thinking we need a spell checker on the message board...

If you have Google toolbar on your web browser there is a spell check built in. :happy: It makes it so much easier not to make typos or careless mistakes on message boards or anywhere else.

I'm heading outdoors to pull more weeds then its off to get my oil changed and a pedicure. Hubby says its my Mother's Day gift from Muffin (our canine baby).

Happy Friday yall! :flowersforyou:

Thank you for the tip. I do have google toolbar--not intentionally, but it snuck in somewhere along the line--and I am a creature of habit . Did find the spellcheck, so thank you!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

BTW, I couldn't help giggling at the prospect of what would happen if YOU actually got the oil change. I knew you meant the car, but I could just imagine the confusion at the salon, trying to give the car a pedicure!!:laugh: :laugh:

Nobody ever said I had a normal sense of humour, and if they did, they either were lying or don't know me very well.!!

Barb
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    there's just too much to remember!!!!!! I'll do my best.

Barb - thank you so much for clarifying you were not on safari! :laugh: When i read bush shelter all i could picture was a bunch of low, leafy trees with you and the dogs sitting underneath!!!!!!!!!

Pam - i hope i have you right - you're daughter is graduating from college? Congratulations on THAT! it's difficult when they grow up and move away - even when we know it's what they're supposed to be doing (darn it neway!) And it's you're @#$% husband that left you correct? I'm so sorry - clearly, HIS loss. Someday he will realize it. Kudos to you for moving on. Don't let the candy get you down - just walk away from it now!!!!! You're on your way to feeling SO great!

Kathy - so sorry about your friend:frown: That's one of the things that suck about getting older. What started me and my friend on this last weight loss journey 3 years ago now, was our friend Val being diagnosed with terminal lung cancer (she died New Years Eve, 2007). We decided there's too much in life we CAN'T control - we needed to take control of this one HUGE thing that we actually CAN control. Hey - congrats on the size 14s being too big!!!!!!!!!!!!:happy:

Anne - it wasn't actually Little Italy where i lived - it was on LI but it FELT like Little Italy 'cause so many of the families were Italian - and related! It was great - lots of homemade wine and amazing Italian food!!!! You were way closer to the "drama"! We just "knew" it was around us.

Susan - hooRAY!!!!!!!! We're all smiling with u! Can you feel the LOVE???????:heart: That is so cool when you work so hard all week and don't mess up and you get that scale reward!!!!!!!

Tomorrow i actually don't HAVE to work on my house (in other words - we're not having a big work party going on) so i can just do some little stuff, AND work out, AND do yard work IF the weather allows. It's supposed to rain:frown: i REALLY need to mow!!!!!!!!! Especially since my 4 legged mower is gone:cry:

Sunday i'll meet my dil halfway between her house and mine for a little shopping and lunch. Bittersweet with my son still deployed, but it'll be fun 2 b with his wife!

Swiss - how are you doing? Did you say you have 8 kids? I don't think i realized that.

Oh - and welcome...........Debbie? Momto10? I don't know how you gals did/do it. I had my hands full with 2!

Sorry if i left people out - i'm not as good at this as some people i.e. Anne, Barbiecat...........but i still love ya all!!!!!!!! We can do it! elli
  • weaklink109
    Options
    So TGIF!!

I finished my 4 hours of work at 9a, and I am looking forward to the weekend, except for the OT I will be working on Saturday morning. I get to sleep in--don't start til 6am!!:laugh:

The weather is supposed to be good the next 3 days, so I plan to hit the walking trails at least 2 days out of 3, depending on my schedule. Tomorrow is weigh day, but since I am working, I may have to defer it til Sunday.

I have had no trouble staying within my calorie range this week, haven't felt deprived. :happy: The difference is I am following "MY" plan, which is a combination of pieces from various things I have tried in the past, combined with as much exercise, mostly walking for now, as I can stand.

My biggest problem is I have too much energy in the evenings. Even though I get up about 4a, and have only napped once this week, I was up til 11:30 pm last night. The folly of this was apparent this morning. I rolled over after shutting off my alarm and the next thing I knew it was 4:40 am--not a good thing when you have to be at work at 5am!!:noway: Fortunately, when you work in the call center environment as I do, no one expects you to look that good that early--mostly because they aren't awake yet EITHER!!:laugh: :laugh: I DID make it there on time, but I was very glad to come home and get the bath and hair washing in that I missed earlier.

Everyone on this thread seems to exhibit a trait that makes them special. For example, I think Anne, with those wise and memorable sayings is "The Philosopher." Barbicat seems to move very fast and sounds WAY more organized than I will EVER be--so she is "The Dynamo." I haven't had time to think of a characteristic for everyone, and for the newbies, we need a few more posts to get the drift.
    As for myself, I guess, I am the resident punster and storyteller, so I guess we can call me "The Jester"

So, in keeping with the storytelling role, can you stand one more CELL PHONE DISASTER epic? This tops mine for sure:

Today a woman I only see at work on Friday's because of our schedules just heard about the washing machine fiasco, and told me how her sister's cell phone met an unexpected end.

Sister was cooking dinner and stirring spaghetti sauce, and says to hubby "Toss me my phone dear," which he did. I don't know whether she was a lousy catcher or his passing technique was not so hot. The cell phone landed IN THE POT OF SAUCE!! Glug glug!!:laugh:

Phone was worthless after that--no matter who you were talking to, you couldn't understand them, because everything sounded like ITALIAN!!:laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, the phone did not survive its introduction to the culinary world, and that last paragraph was a result of the way my mind works when I haven't had enough sleep!!

Well I am off to pick up my new cell phone and have lunch with a friend who has a birthday today. It seems like everyone I know was born in April and May. I started counting and so far there were 7 of us, including me!

BTW ANNE, you mentioned in your post about what I said about replacing my phone for $50--trouble is, that is through their insurance carrier, and in the fine print, they reserve the right to "substitute" so I just extended my contract for a year, got a couple of promotional discounts out of the salesperson that helped me, and only pd $99, but that beats $250!!

Catch everyone later--WELCOME NEWBIES!!

Barb
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    Barb - i think you have named the first 3 members aptly! Anne is for SURE the wise philosopher, Barbicat definitely the dynmo and you ARE the jester!!!!!!!! Very cool! I'm happy it's friday too, although i don't have to get up QUITE so early!!!!!!:noway:
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Hi Ladies

I hope everyone is having a good day. Things are going good today. I'm feeling a bit hungry so I'll grab an apple. That was mentioned on the boards, to grab an apple to get you through and it really works for me. I bring a few for my desk and throughout the week I'll have one later in the day which prevents me from 'grazing' while dinner is cooking. I walked again yesterday and plan to do the same today.
    It's going to be one of those weekends when the house is full of kids. - only 5 extras today!!
    Sunday we will be going out for a buffet dinner so I'll really have to be careful. (good thing weigh day is Saturday:laugh: )

Last night I walked for 45 minutes then we went to the local trade show and I sauntered around there for another hour and a half. - I didn't even sample any freebies of food. I did however, buy a bag of kettle corn popcorn mmmmmm! I had a couple handfuls and sent the rest to school with my kids today.
    I feel like I've been following along really good with moving more and eating healthier. It should pay off. I'm really hoping to see a loss on the scale tomorrow. I have everything crossed from my eyes to my toes!!!

I'm going to try to log on during the weekend. Then maybe I can do personal responses - currenty I only 'chat' at work and I can never take the time to respond properly.

Weekend goals:
    clean, clean, clean
    walk 10 km. - 6 miles
    Exercise dvd Sat and Sun
    Portion Control on Sunday at the buffet

Heather

p.s. Barb I could always pm you my address if you would like to unload some of that evening energy:laugh:
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    S.O.S. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO GET THE LITTLE SMILEY FACES INTO MY POST. I CLICK ON IT AND GET THE WORD, EXAMPLE, HEART,INSTEAD OF THE PICTURE OF THE HEART?
    THANKS.

KATHY , CONDOLENCES ON THE LOSS OF YOUR FRIEND.

BARB, YOU ARE INDEED THE JESTER. YOU HAVE MADE ME LAUGH SO MANY TIMES. I LOVE YOUR HUMOR.

WILL WRITE IN THE MORNING, HAVE TO GO OUT.

HAVE A GOOD EVENING EVERYONE,
    ANNE