• Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    A bit late but here are my May goals:

Lose eight pounds.
    Eat my bigger meals early in the day.
    Eat more protein.
    Work on building my muscles.

I have been wearing my pedometer at work. I take over 11,000 steps while there. This is about 4.3 miles. I saw the doctor yesterday. I am down 4 pounds since my last appointment.
    My husband fell at work a week ago and has been on light duty since. Found out yesterday that he majorly tore his muscles, tendon, and ligaments by his shoulder blade. The doctor said that he should not be able to even lift his arm but he can and they think it is because he works our with weights. So, he has other muscles taking over for the torn ones.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    Good morning all. :flowerforyou:

Trying to get back on track with my exercise after being sick last weekend. Still don't feel very energetic. Hopefully today I'll get back into the groove :laugh:
  • dricotta1
    dricotta1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Good morning,
    Esther: Thanks so much for your understanding and support.

I'm very impressed and grateful to all of you who keep us all in mind and heart. It helps so much.

I weighed in this morning and I FINALLY BROKE THE PLATEAU:bigsmile: :bigsmile: I'm down 1.6 lbs from my lowest fluctuation point. It just shows that it's important to keep on plugging away even when things seems hopeless and discouraging. I think what made the difference was increasing both exercise intensity and upping calories (a little).

Good weekend to all, Diane
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone

I had a rough day yesterday being sick and my DH wanted to take me to the ER last night but I am a stubborn cuss I guess because I didn't go. Finally started to feel a little better when the fever broke around 2 this morning. So today again no exercise. I guess the couch is where I will be again today:grumble: I will surrender and listen to the signals my body is giving me and rest.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Remember to put yourself on the top of the priority list! You are worth it:flowerforyou:

:heart: Marie:heart:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Morning Ladies,

I have been on this site for over a year. I guess the first year was a learning experience, paying attention to my food intake, and getting advice and support from other members who are dedicated to living the most healthiest life possible. I have met some great people that I would never have met any other way.

I have to say, Oprah and Kristie should join MFP. This is reality.

I log in my food and sometimes it’s a big reality check. But its real life, NOT some fad diet that claims there will be no work involved. Yes, this is work and sometimes extremely hard for me. But, like hard work I have received great benefits. I look healthier, I feel like moving and I cope with situations with a rational outlook. I also have learned exercise has to be in the equation. I just can’t sit and watch the world go by. I want to be part of that world. Yes, sometimes I do lose sight, but not for very long. This site has a lot to do with it. Here I can read about someone’s day and relate.

I learned that when life throws me a curve ball, and I begin to go back to my old habits, I stop, and think. Is this what I want? Do I want to go back to having a hard time breathing while I walk? :NO WAY! Do I want to have a hard time lifting my leg to get on the back of my husbands motorcycle, while my husband steadies the bike with all his might, so it won‘t tip it over? :tongue: Then, have an uncomfortable ride because I’m too big for the seat. :noway: Do I want to stay in a plus size, where all the styles look like bed spreads and chair covers?:noway: Do I want to sit at a table, at a party, and watch everyone else have fun, because I’m self-conscious of my looks? :noway: Do I want to feel embarrassed, when my family has a slide show, and I look so blotted I could pop? :noway: :noway: :noway:

:noway: NO, NO, NO, I do not. It has been a slow process, but a very positive one. I am learning to deal with trauma in a more analytical manner. I have learned to think of what I am doing to myself. Curve balls happen, that is life, and I just have to deal with it.

We are all having tough times, and I can see we are working hard at focusing on what is positive about life. This support is phenomenal. The food log has to be the best. I have so many journals of my food intake through out my life, and it does work. This site makes is so much easier. Plus, being able to react out to others for a virtual shoulder to lean on, has to be the best therapy. It just keeps me going.:happy:

Today I got on the scale and I dropped most of the weight I had put on during a difficult time. Even though a few days ago, I aimlessly walked the grocery store wanting to eat all the junk food, I stayed focused. I bought my groceries mainly on the outer isles. I did not buy any food that would trigger me to eat all day. I stopped, thought about my goals, and then move on the best that I know how.

I read, this thread and say, wow so many have gone through so much and they are dealing with it and getting through the day. I can too!

I just love you ladies, I want to get back to my funny side again. I hope that will come next.

:heart: Kathy
  • committed
    committed Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. Today is another rainy day in TN. :grumble: We have had rain 5 days straight and yesterday was the worst, over 4 inches. I checked my garden this morning it has water standing in it, but the lettuce has come up and the okra is peeking through the ground. :smile: Hopefully by next weekend it will dry out enough that I can get back in it.:bigsmile:

My goal for May is to lose 5 lbs. Have to drink the water. :drinker: :drinker: The food log makes all of the difference in the world. I have noticed if I post everything I eat everyday I don't eat nearly as much and I am more conscious of what I eat. Also I intend to check in on the May thread - reading all the post helps in keeping me on track. Working in the yard and garden will be my exercise. We have several acres to keep up; lots of mowing and trimming in addition to my two vegetable gardens so I should get plenty of exercise. I can get in two to three hours everyday when I get home from work also a great stress reliever from dealing with numbers.

Good luck to all in meeting your goals this month!

Kathy glad to see you're back. :flowerforyou: How's Bosco? Our Bosco is still asleep on the couch. :yawn: He apparently requires a lot of rest.

Nancy
  • committed
    Options
    I decided to update my ticker with a picture I had of our Bosco. Now I have another incentive lose enough weight so you can see his face!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • cm62357
    cm62357 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    We have 2 Beagles...Hershey, almost 10 and Lucy, almost 8....Bosco is a very cute Beagle.

Cheryl
  • committed
    Options
    Bosco is 2. He's a big part of our family now that the kids are grown. We basically swapped 3 children for 3 dogs. Never a dull moment.

Nancy
  • plantlady99
    Options
    As you can see from my ticker, My Bosco is not into MFP:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

My Bosco is 8.

• Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Hope your day is going well. I got a late start. Showed up at the gym before it opened! So, I came home and cooked breakfast for my hubby, son and his brother-in-law before they left to go to play paintball. Then went to work out when I could actually get inside Now, I need to get busy on my Saturday chores!

Sparkyspal: :flowerforyou: Welcome. Join us when you can. It’s a great place to be Good luck on your goals for May.

Sue: I think that is part of my problem. I need to not eat as big a dinner and get more of my calories earlier in the day. Thanks for that - I’ll add that to my list of goals as well! Sorry about your hubby. Hope he can heal quickly.:ohwell:

Mnichol: Take it slow and steady. Sometimes our bodies need that slower pace to recover. Same for you Marie. You need to take care of YOU!

Dricotta (Diane): Good for you. It is hard when you hit that plateau but what a reward when you finally break it. That should be encouraging for you!:flowerforyou:

Kathy: You are awesome. You should be the MFP Poster Woman! You have hit all the nails on the head! Thanks for those reminders. Curve balls do come but we can be ready for them and hit them out of the park! :laugh:

Nancy: So should you be growing rice instead ? :wink:

Nancy, Kathy & Cheryl. Your dogs are so cute.

Hope you all have a great day.

Esther
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    The beagle are so cute. My parents had three of them while I was growing up. We had a Tina, a Candy and a Tony. Tina was very small, hence her name.

Sue...I also am thinking that I am eating too many calories in the evening. I was eating a larger breakfast but that was when my husband's hours allowed us to eat it together. Now he is home in the evening and I have been eating with him. He doesn't have the best diet.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Good mornin' all,

I should be outside walking me (already took the dogs) since it has stopped raining here in the "Pacific Northwet" :laugh: for a few hours, but more is on the way.

I stopped to log my breakfast and caught up on the new posts since late yesterday.

Kathy, it sounds like you are getting back on track after that very stressful experience you had in your car earlier in the week. I am glad you stayed focused. Now you can feel very proud of yourself that you "hung in there." :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

When I first began posting on this thread, I mentioned Mai Li--the little treasure on my Avatar, with "Mr Banana" in her mouth--was on a diet and I thought we should go through the process together. Well Friday was "weigh day" for her, and unless the vet's scale has the hiccups, my little piglet girl is down .8 of a lb. since the previous Friday. I don't remember if I mentioned it, but I have found a new solution to her "I've got the hungries" barks that sometimes start a couple of hours after dinner. The answer is baby carrots--she LOVES them!!:love: and they take some time to chew on so after a few, she has usually forgotten about carrying on her barking commentary on the state of her tummy.

I actually use them for the same purpose for myself--but have not found the need to bark and jump around in order to get them:laugh: Now THERE'S a sight to ponder...maybe the jumping around could count as extra exercise???:laugh:

I postponed the extended walk I had planned for Friday afternoon, due to conflicting information about when the impending rain would arrive. I should have gone ahead as it didn't show up 'til late evening, but since I did my shopping yesterday instead, I plan to do my extended walk today. There is a walking trail a few miles from where I live and I have never gone all the way to the end of it (about 3 miles) and back, because I always have the dogs with me, and I would NOT want to end up carrying EITHER one---never mind BOTH of them.!!!

I may respond to more of the recent posts later today, but I have to get outside while I can, since I prefer to walk, rather than "slosh" for exercise..

Before I leave, it appears, someone around here wants some carrots....coming Mai Li:laugh: :laugh:

Barb

I am deferring my weigh in til Sunday.."because." It that is cheating, so be it.
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    BECKY, WHAT GOOD NEWS THAT YOU ARE DOWN 4LBS. HOPE YOUR HUSBAND HEALS FAST.

MINICHOL, GLAD YOU ARE TRYING, DO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. YOU DON'T WANT A RELAPSE.

DIANE, YOU ARE SO RIGHT. WE HAVE TO KEEP ON TRYING NO MATTER WHAT. THOSE PLATEAU TIMES ARE VERY HARD TO DEAL WITH. GOOD FOR YOU , YOU DID NOT GIVE UP.

MARIE, GET WELL SOON. IT IS A GOOD IDEA TO LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. TAKE YOUR TIME.

KATHY, GREAT MOTIVATIONAL POST. YOU JUST HELPED EVERYONE WHO READS HERE TO "THINK" FIRST. SO MANY GOOD REASONS.

NANCY, WHEN I LOST A LOT OF WEIGHT AT TOPS, THEY WOULD ASK "HOW DO YOU DO IT?" THE TOP OF MY LIST WAS WRITE IT DOWN. "IF YOU BITE IT , WRITE IT". I TOTALLY AGREE WITH KATHY AND YOU. IF YOU WANT REAL SUCCESS,YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU PUT INTO YOUR MOUTH ALL DAY LONG. ANYONE THAT IS HAVING A HARD TIME AND NOT KEEPING TRACK OF YOUR FOOD INTAKE, PLEASE TRY IT. I KNOW IT IS A PAIN IN THE YOU KNOW WHAT. I KNOW IT IS WORK, BUT IT IS SO WORTH THE EFFORT.

I WAS OUT TO GARAGE SALES AND GOT IN A LOT OF EXTRA WALKING. I FIND MYSELF BENDING FORWARD A LOT. I ALWAYS HAD GOOD POSTURE. I HAVE ARTHRITIS AND I KNOW THAT IS PART OF THE PROBLEM. I DO STRETCHES AND EXERCISE FOR THE SPINE,BUT IT DOES NOT SEEM TO BE HELPING MUCH. A GENTLEMAN I MET AT TOPS SAID HE HAD THE PROBLEM AND THEY PUT HIM ON A MACHINE AND TURNED HIM UPSIDE DOWN AND STRETCHED HIM. JUST THINKING OF THIS MAKES ME DIZZY. I DON'T THINK I WILL BE DOING THAT REAL SOON. IT MAKES ME SAD BECAUSE IT CAUSES PAIN AND THEN I HAVE TO STOP WHAT EVER ACTIVITY I AM DOING AND SIT. I WAS 5 FT 6 IN IN MY YOUNGER DAYS AND NOW I AM 5 FT 3 IN. HOPE I DON'T SHRINK ANY MORE. THAT IS QUITE ENOUGH FOR AWHILE. OTHER THAN THIS,I AM HEALTHY. AS THE DOCTOR SAYS," YOUR NUMBERS ARE FANTASTIC. " I AM BLESSED IN SO MANY WAYS.

WILL CLOSE WITH SAYING THAT I AM SO JEALOUS OF EVERYONE THAT HAS A DOG. THEY ARE ALL SO ADORABLE AND LOVABLE. WHEN I CAME HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL, MY MOM AND DAD GOT ME A DOGIE TO GROW UP WITH, BLACKIE. I HAVE HAD A DOG ALL MY LIFE AND SOMETIMES 4 AT ONCE WOW! MY LAST LITTLE GUY, PETIE, WAS 18 YEARS OLD WHEN I PUT HIM TO SLEEP BECAUSE HE WAS JUST TOO SICK TO GO ON. THAT WAS CLOSE TO TWO YEARS AGO.I DECIDED NO MORE DOGS. IT IS JUST TOO MUCH FOR ME WHEN I HAVE TO LET THEM GO.
    NOW I HAVE CATS. I LOVE THEM TOO BUT A DOG IS LIKE A CHILD AND DEPENDS ON YOU AND A CAT IS INDEPENDENT AND I CAN DEAL WITH THAT MUCH BETTER RIGHT NOW. THEY ARE AFFECTIONATE AND I PET THEM AND PLAY WITH THEM A LOT, BUT IF I GO AWAY FOR A FEW DAYS THEY DON'T CRY OR HOWL OR MAKE ME FEEL LIKE I SHOULD NOT BE GONE. IT ALL WORKS OUT FOR THE BEST. DON'T KNOW WHERE ALL OF THIS CAME FROM. I USUALLY DON'T GO ON LIKE THIS.

HAPPY MAY, ANNE
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Anne,

Just came back on here and saw your post. I think the upside down thing you described is called inversion therapy. I have heard good things about it. A male friend with back issues swears by it--has a device at home that allows him to hang upside down, says it really helps him. I have no idea if it would benefit arthritis. If you are shrinking, couldn't it be from the vertebrae in your back deteriorating and causing your spinal column to be shorter, thus loss of height? That can be related to osteoporosis, but I am assuming your doctor has checked you out for that.

I have a few pains that affect me when I am going to be active, and I believe in what I call, the "precautionary ibuprofen"--I take a couple just before I start the activity, and by the time they wear off, I am already finished and managed to exercise without pain. I don't do this every day--just on days when I feel like I am more achey than usual.

Even though you are a former dog owner who become a "cat lady," I am sure you still derive enjoyment from your feline companions. I was a cat person in my younger days, but I met and married "Mr Allergy"--the nickname I gave my (former) husband, so the last cat I had spend the final four years of her life with my parents.

Losing a dog is awful. My new ticker below is a tribute to my late Shih Tzu, Dreyfus, whom I lost last year due to cancer. He was always momma's VERY sweet boy, very laid back. Pepper, the Shih Tzu I was given as a Christmas gift, is a much different personality, and I am very attached to him and Mai Li, but Dreyfus was my first dog, and will always be special.

Now I REALLY am going to head for that walk!!

Barb
  • plantlady99
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Evening Laides,

Well, most of today I was in solitude. As you might have figured by my previous post.
    My husband was sleeping most of the day and I just walked around the house doing the things I must do. No TV & no music, I had plenty of time to meditate. That really helps me.

I also enjoyed reading the threads.

To all that have doggies & kitties, Aren’t we lucky? Yes, I had to say good-bye to many and it was so difficult. Some where traumatic. I don’t think I have ever forgotten one. However, my first kitty Jono who lived until he was 19 or so, was my special kitty. I had him in my 30’s and 40’s. I could hug and hold him when I was feeling down and he just melted in my arms. Sometimes I was able to walk around the house just as if I was holding and infant. He would purrrrrrr. My kolie, jasper, & Ikie weren’t really lap cats, (including Punky, my present top gun ) I so miss my Juno.

Bosco, on the other hand is my perpetual 2 year old. He is under my feet when I begin to prepare food, until I tell, him to sit on the rug. He does pretty good. I have to give him a treat after a while, just to let him know sitting on the rug is a good thing. :flowerforyou: Weaklink, Bosco loves carrots. I had to laugh when you said your Shih Tzu eats carrots. Carrots are a god sent. Although, bosco will eat anything at any time. Almost like me. I bet he hates that I am watching what I am eating.

:flowerforyou: Committed (Nancy), your Bosco, looks tired sitting up. What a typical Beagle. They are really great dogs. I agree with you. My Bosco is a great part of my life also.

:flowerforyou: Cheryl, how is Hershey? Still going strong? Lucy is Bosco’s age.

:flowerforyou: Barb, your Dreyfus story got me to think of my Juno.

:flowerforyou: Dricotta, I have to get out and till more of my side garden. It needs it. Great job on breaking that plateau. I bet it feels great!!!!!

:flowerforyou: Heather, ditto feelings about this thread. Glad your feeling better. It’s like I also have to prove I am worthy. Great bunch of Ladies.

:flowerforyou: Anne, I agree, Bosco will be my last dog. When my husband retires next year it will be hard for us to get away on the motorcycle because of Bosco. He comes first lately. We have friends that want us to stay with them for a few months in Florida but we would have to ask if Bosco could come. So, not sure if that will work. Plus, I do have Punky. I think my kids will help out with that. As a matter of fact my daughter in law Rose did offer to take Bosco, but, I do believe that is to much. Now I’m going off. I guess this is that kind of day.

I had a great day planning my healthy meals. However, I do not think my walking around the house, justifies as working out. I will call it a mental health day. At least I was walking. Plus, kept within my calories.

Bosco, has kept me company all day.

:flowerforyou: Esther, you re dedicated going to the gym after cooking breakfast for your family. Especially, after you already were there. Bless you!!!

:flowerforyou: Swissmiss, wow, three Beagles. Candy, Tony and Tina. Love the names. Do you have any storys? I would love to read.

:flowerforyou: Is Barbie on the road?

:flowerforyou: Marie, get better, I know you will. I agree with simple goals. I wish I had a bicycle. I use to love to ride. But, I have not been on one since I was in my 20’s.

:flowerforyou: Sue, the gal that has the best smile on this site. Congrats on your garage and patio floor.

:flowerforyou: Elli I know is around somewhere. She must be busy feeding the workers. Lol

:flowerforyou: Ellen, Welcome, Great job with the walk.

:flowerforyou: Sparkyspal, Welcome. The little black dress. What an incentive.

Thinking of you :flowerforyou: mnichol. Hope you feel better.

:flowerforyou: ZaZa, I just love your name, I have always wanted to try RV living. Sounds like so much fun. I also love Spring! It’s the best season in New England. There is beautiful color every where. I can’t believe a few weeks ago every thing was dark and gray.

Best to all, that I missed. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Boy, did I go on. Well, that’s all. I have to do some more walking. I have sat long enough. I know I can't chat like this all the time. Aren't you all happy about that. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday to all of you wonderful supportive women.
    I ran around like crazy yesterday---line dance and saying “good by for a month” to all my line dance friends, taking stuff to the motorhome and putting it away, last minute shopping and errands, an hour at the dog park (the little ”naughties” were very good girls and get high marks for “plays well with others” for playing with two German Shepherds, a Doberman, and a pit bull as well as several other large dogs.

I loved reading all your goals and I’m cheering for us all to achieve them.

About ten years ago when I faced terrible situations at work, I got in the practice of putting a sticker on the wall calendar at home if my behavior was kind and principled in the face of adversity at work. It helped a lot. A few years later when I got my first pedometer, I changed to putting stickers on the calendar any day that I walked 10,000 steps or more. I still do that. I look at my calendar at lot in planning so it is encouraging to see the evidence of my working on a meaningful goal.

Barb---Before I started MFP plan I made it my goal to use all my canned and packaged foods as part of pre-planned healthy meals and to not buy any more of them ever. I have only a few things left either in cans or in the freezer and will finish them some day (but not all in the same meal). Changing from processed foods to “clean eating” is a wonderful goal. It’s been almost 20 years and five moves since I fit into size 10 or 12 clothes. It’s been pretty expensive buying new clothes but I agreed in January that I’d go to any lengths to lose weight and I’m sticking to that. I love that refrigerator sign “You here again?” Maybe I’ll make one for myself. You are amazing that you could even go to TGI Fridays. I’m not ready for restaurants, yet. You did great in your ordering.

Esther----I liked your goals so much I almost stole them for myself. We had our lawn reseeded so we have no mowing to do and because we’ll be gone for two 20+ day trips this summer we dare not plant anything that needs care so I envy you your yard work. We’re doing the same thing you are getting our motorhome ready for the trip. It’s been winterized since November so there was a lot to load just like you.

Anne---thanks for all your encouragement. Being a walker instead of a “hobbler” is an amazing accomplishment. The longest journey starts with a single step. I agree with you about Kirstie and Oprah and all that ego. Thanks for the encouragement.

Kathy---your goals are very realistic. You can do it. Do you have a planned evening snack or are you trying to go from dinner to breakfast with no eating at all? Thank you for your inspiring words about your weight loss journey. It is helpful to me to hear from someone who has been working hard at this for a long time. I need to know that a positive attitude can go on for a long time.

Diane
    I am so sorry about your son. You have made an amazing comeback from a devastating loss. What a great idea to include gardening among your goals. One of the hardest things I did when I started this journey was to decline the bagel and cream cheese that a well meaning friend brought when she picked me up to go somewhere. I had made a rule of accepting no food that was not already on my plan and I was not going to give in because I didn’t want to look silly in front of my friend. Congrats on getting past that weight plateau. How great that you persisted

Heather---getting into smaller clothes is a great incentive. I wish you the opportunity to get rid of tons of clothes in the next year. Somebody else will be glad to get them. Today is the beginning of an even better journey.

Marie---your goals are great for the upcoming good weather. Jake says that golfing is amazing exercise. He has to take a cart because of his heart but even so he gets a good workout. I hope you’re feeling better very soon. Glad you’re feeling better. It was a hard lesson for me to learn to slow down when I was sick.

Susan---congrats on your patio and garage. They’ll be great for the upcoming weather. Gardening as healthy activity sounds wonderful.

Ellen---welcome to the group. We’re glad you’re here. That’s great about your new walking energy.

Sparkyspal---welcome to the group. This is the place to be for support and encouragement. If you lost weight before then you know you can do it. Stick with this group and you’ll get into that dress and look fabulous.

Becky----you are doing great. Congrats on losing 4 pounds. All that walking will continue to chase away the pounds. Sorry to hear about your husband. Will he be a good sport about the healing process?

mnichol
    hope your energy is back soon.

Nancy---thanks for the encouraging words---how great that you have vegetables coming up already. Your Bosco is darling.

I loved reading about all your pets. While I was reading I had to stop several times to tell "the naughties" to quiet down. the neighbor's cat is outside and teasing them from a distance.

I have done almost no exercise to day except loading and organizing the motorhome. there's some festival activity at the city park where the dog park is so I dared not even try to go there. i hope they'll be gone after supper so i can take the girls and get some exercise.

I have to be gone all day tomorrow to a meeting and then we leave on our trip on Monday. I'm trying to not get frantic and just stay in the moment.

I loved what everyone wrote about goals and successes. Thank you all for allowing me to be part of your lives.

big hugs :heart: :love: :heart: :love:
    Barbie
  • weaklink109
    Options

Barb---Before I started MFP plan I made it my goal to use all my canned and packaged foods as part of pre-planned healthy meals and to not buy any more of them ever. I have only a few things left either in cans or in the freezer and will finish them some day (but not all in the same meal). Changing from processed foods to “clean eating” is a wonderful goal. It’s been almost 20 years and five moves since I fit into size 10 or 12 clothes. It’s been pretty expensive buying new clothes but I agreed in January that I’d go to any lengths to lose weight and I’m sticking to that. I love that refrigerator sign “You here again?” Maybe I’ll make one for myself. You are amazing that you could even go to TGI Fridays. I’m not ready for restaurants, yet. You did great in your ordering.

Barbie

I am working toward this, but unfortunately, I have a well stocked cupboard and freezer. We are having a food drive where I work, so some of the high sodium items that fit the description of what they were looking for are going there.

My biggest problem is one of time. I like to cook, but I don't like to cook rushed. There are times when a healthy choice or smart ones has to fill the bill for now. On the days I work, I try to plan ahead, but it isn't easy. Sometimes nothing sounds good until it comes time to be hungry and then I want instant gratification. Thank goodness for hummus, also string cheese and fuji apples (no--not all at the same time, though anything is possible I suppose.)

As for ordering in a restaurant, the secret for me is to scope out what I can find out ahead of time about the nutritional value of a few things on the menu. That way I have a plan before I ever walk in the door. There is a lot of info in the database on chains like Applebees, Outback and TGIF, and I am sure there are others.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I mentioned earlier that I was going on a walk. Below is a portion of a post I put in the 200+ group thread, that will tell you what happened since then..it was an interesting day:

".....I try to walk about 2-3 miles per day on the days I have to work, and at least 4 miles on the days I don't.

Today I was VERY fortunate to finish my walk when I did. We had some showers today, and I did manage to get wet, but that was NOTHING, compared to the cell of thunderstorms that came through here about an hour ago.

I was waiting for the baseball game to be finshed on FOX so that they would start showing the NASCAR race, and there was an emergency alert from the Nat'l Weather Service covering a multi-county area of Oregon and a couple in SW Washington, where I am. No sooner did it finsh and I could hear the thunder. The warning included the potential for 60 mile per hour winds.

At the time, I couldn't imagine how that could be, since there was not a breath of wind to be had around here, but about 5 minutes later, I heard this noise and within about 30 seconds, the flap on my doggie door blew open and the rain was coming down sideways, straight into my living room!! I got up and shut the dog door, and my two dogs were very unsettled. In about 3 minutes, the wind stopped, and in another 5 tminutes he rain was over as well. The sun almost came out soon after.

I have never lived in the part of the country prone to tornados, but I know that area can get intense thunderstorms. I have never seen one like this in the Pacific NW., but I imagine it might have made someone from "Tornado Alley" feel right at home. .."

Barbiecat--you are an inspiration. Here you are running around trying to walk your doggies and get ready for your trip and you have time to give the most complete postings of anyone on this thread. I applaud you, but I will never come close. I read everything, and like hearing what others are up to, but it must be the ADHD in me that I find it difficult to address replies to everyone. I am with you all in spirit--just limit myself to comments back to others.

Welcome to the two new posters....you will find, as Barbiecat said, this is a very supportive group, and while we share our ups and downs, we also know how to have fun. New posters should review the thread from April. There are some good stories there, especially if you like animal stories.

Hope everyone has a good weekend. After doing 4 miles in an hour and 20 minutes, I am looking forward to my weigh in tomorrow. I am planning a light dinner tonight, and might treat myself to a glass of wine.

Barb
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Welcome to the new ladies on the thread! :flowerforyou:

Haven't had time to catch up on everyone yet, but I'll do that first thing Monday.

I made history today! How's that? Today I did something I have NEVER done in my entire life! I went to a birthday party and DIDN'T eat ANY of the cake. Instead I ate fruit. :happy:

I have a great nephew who is allergic to eggs and milk, so I tried making cupcakes for him to eat at the birthday party using the egg-less, oil-less cake recipe replacing the 15 oz can of pumpkin with a can of unsweetened applesauce a french vanilla cake mix. Even hubby liked it.. He wants me to try adding frozen blueberries for Sunday breakfast muffins. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Check with you all on Monday.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Welcome to the new ladies on the thread! :flowerforyou:

Haven't had time to catch up on everyone yet, but I'll do that first thing Monday.

I made history today! How's that? Today I did something I have NEVER done in my entire life! I went to a birthday party and DIDN'T eat ANY of the cake. Instead I ate fruit. :happy:

I have a great nephew who is allergic to eggs and milk, so I tried making cupcakes for him to eat at the birthday party using the egg-less, oil-less cake recipe replacing the 15 oz can of pumpkin with a can of unsweetened applesauce a french vanilla cake mix. Even hubby liked it.. He wants me to try adding frozen blueberries for Sunday breakfast muffins. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Check with you all on Monday.

I just had dinner a little over an hour ago, but that sounds really good with blueberries. I think the recipe was in the April 50+ thread, wasn't it? If so, I will find it. If not, you might mention if it is somewhere on the site, as I hear lots of voices going "yum yum" right now!!!:wink:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: CONGRATULATIONS!!! on your restraint at the birthday party. You accomplished even more than I did. You didn't have any cake!! At the party I went to, I had 2 pieces of cake, but made the hostess KEEP the cake instead of sending it home with me. I heard today that it met a pleasant fate. She froze it and fed it this weekend to her visiting son and daughter-in-law.

Better them than me.:laugh:

Tomorrow is "weigh day" and you all thought it was Sunday, right?:laugh: Inquiring minds want to know, so I will spill the beans tomorrow. Mai Li is down almost a pound, so let's hope that 4 miles I did today will help me in the right direction!!

Barb