On MSG and Genetically Modified plants

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I tend to believe him since he has pages upon pages of research credits in this book

This is a mistake. Quoting volumes of research is common practice among authors with an agenda, even if the research doesn't support their claims.

leptin is the new insulin but cho is still very very evil from what i've heard lately from the uninformed
  • Murlin54
    Murlin54 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thank you Rebekah. Personally, I will still try to avoid MSG as best I can. When I have a moment I will read some more of your post though. Interesting.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    There are no studies on the long term effects of GMOs yet. All the studies conducted showed no detriment after 90 days of consumption. However, most things do their damage after cumulative exposure. Once they are in the food supply, people will be eating them longer then the 90 day period.

We just don't know about their safety long term. I don't want to be anyone's guinea pig so I try to avoid them. I wish they were labeled.

Same for me. The are chemicals everywhere that I can't avoid, so if I can control how much chemical food or gmo food goes in my body then I will. I avoid HFCS which is a gmo, amongst others.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Good scientists know that the results of these trials are not directly applicable to humans. Unfortunately, lay press can't seem to grasp this point.

Good scientist?? What facilitates a good scientist? The way I see it, scientists are becoming like lawyers, repugnant with the word good.

Go away troll, I'm not feeding you anymore.

Bring something relevant to the conversation or GTFO.

Your definitely the weaker mind. LOL. I suggest you heed your own advice. If you can't stand the heat then stay out of the kitchen.

Um, a person studying all available facts and forming an opinion is not a weak mind. Unlike you, who is rattling on and on about all kinds of ridiculous conspiracy theories, and like every brain dead crackpot, offers up exactly zero actual evidence to back up any ridiculous claim. You can't pretend to be victorious until you actually offer proof, facts, studies, real information. Until then, you're just the lunatic in the corner screaming nonsense at the top of their lungs. Like the previous poster said, offer up some evidence, or go away. You're contributing absolutely nothing of value to this conversation.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    There are no studies on the long term effects of GMOs yet. All the studies conducted showed no detriment after 90 days of consumption. However, most things do their damage after cumulative exposure. Once they are in the food supply, people will be eating them longer then the 90 day period.

We just don't know about their safety long term. I don't want to be anyone's guinea pig so I try to avoid them. I wish they were labeled.

Same for me. The are chemicals everywhere that I can't avoid, so if I can control how much chemical food or gmo food goes in my body then I will. I avoid HFCS which is a gmo, amongst others.

Technically, high fructose corn syrup is not a genetically modified food. You can make it from plain-old corn sugar. It's encouraged to form with enzymes... so it's 'man made' in a way (sorta kinda- it's not chemically synthesized, so it's the exploitation of a natural process) but it is not genetically modified.

That's neither here nor there though :) Just a technicality and not that important in your decision to avoid high fructose corn syrup.

Incidentally, I sometimes avoid HFCS for superstitious reasons (as in that decision is not based on any science, just on my own biases/prejudices), but alas, I love coke classic too much to ever commit to a long-term HFCS deprivation.
  • M3CH4N1C
    M3CH4N1C Posts: 157
    Options
    Good scientists know that the results of these trials are not directly applicable to humans. Unfortunately, lay press can't seem to grasp this point.

Good scientist?? What facilitates a good scientist? The way I see it, scientists are becoming like lawyers, repugnant with the word good.

Go away troll, I'm not feeding you anymore.

Bring something relevant to the conversation or GTFO.

Your definitely the weaker mind. LOL. I suggest you heed your own advice. If you can't stand the heat then stay out of the kitchen.

Um, a person studying all available facts and forming an opinion is not a weak mind. Unlike you, who is rattling on and on about all kinds of ridiculous conspiracy theories, and like every brain dead crackpot, offers up exactly zero actual evidence to back up any ridiculous claim. You can't pretend to be victorious until you actually offer proof, facts, studies, real information. Until then, you're just the lunatic in the corner screaming nonsense at the top of their lungs. Like the previous poster said, offer up some evidence, or go away. You're contributing absolutely nothing of value to this conversation.

A person studying all available facts and forming an opinion is not a weak mind. Somebody who gets mad and starts insulting people like a little kid is a weak mind. He started throwing stones first. I have brought more to the table of this debate than both of you put together. Debating against you two is like having lamb chops for dinner. LOL. Go back to the farm and get your wool sheared.
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options
    It's scary when unproven to be safe GMO's are being put into baby food. I still haven't seen any list of pro's for these supposedly safe GMO's. And since nobody will do it I guess I'll start gathering the list and debate both sides.

From Martek's own website, here is a list of infant formulas containing their product which is both genetically modified and typically manufactured using a known toxin:

Earth's Best Organic Soy with DHA & ARA (Hain Celestial Group)

Enfamil LIPIL (Mead Johnson Nutritionals)

Enfamil Next Step (Mead Johnson)

Isomil 2 Advance (Abbott Laboratories)

Nestle Good Start Supreme with DHA & ARA (Nestle USA)

Parent's Choice Organic (Wal-Mart)

Similac Advance (Abbott Nutrition)

Ultra Bright Beginnings Lipids (PBM Products, LLC)
  • tigersword
    Options
    Are you going to mention which toxin, or should we just guess? You still haven't provided any evidence of any kind, toward ANY of your arguments, other than insisting on trying to insult people. And no, he didn't insult you first, he asked you a question. You proceeded to call him a sheep and completely avoided answering said question, which leads anyone reading to believe that you don't actually have the answer to any of the questions your being asked.
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options
    Are you going to mention which toxin, or should we just guess? You still haven't provided any evidence of any kind, toward ANY of your arguments, other than insisting on trying to insult people. And no, he didn't insult you first, he asked you a question. You proceeded to call him a sheep and completely avoided answering said question, which leads anyone reading to believe that you don't actually have the answer to any of the questions your being asked.

Not true. Not true. And not true. He called me a troll. Then I defended. I've brought plenty of evidence. Wheres your evidence? We will agree to disagree I guess. But I won't be silenced with your false reasoning. I'm not answering his questions because that would be stooping to his level at this point. What did he call it? Feeding the troll.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Still avoiding answering any of the questions, I see.
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options
    Do you know the difference between "quote mining" and "evidence"?

I believe this was your loaded question? Am I correct.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Still avoiding.
  • LabRat529
    Options
    Can we not derail this thread?

M3CH4N1C, I'm getting a little pissed. You insult people by calling them sheeple. You insinuate that scientists are corrupt, white-washing the whole group as liars, including ME. You come in here with your theories, insult my intelligence and the intelligence of others on this thread when they disagree with you, and I frankly don't get it. You've been on my friends list since I started here and you've been awesome and supportive. I really don't mind that you've got a different-from-me world view, because I value diversity and I've appreciated your input. You've always been kind and respectful on my profile. So... why are you being an *kitten* now?

I LOVE discussions. I've really enjoyed the comments others have made in this thread even if I don't agree with them. Yes, I've gotten a little frustrated sometimes (and I'm sure they've gotten frustrated with me), but I still really value every meaningful comment made here.

But I don't like the insults. They are unnecessary and they ruin a perfectly good thread. Please knock it off.

I personally would like to return to this thread when I have time to do a bit more research on GMOs. I'd like to look for ideas of where to start. I'd like to read the stuff people have posted here. I might even watch those documentaries even though I'm inherently distrustful of documentaries. But I can't do that if we turn this thread into a war-zone and get it locked.

In response to your concern about the formula- I get the feeling that GMOs are everywhere, so I'm not surprised to find them in infant formula. I guess that's a +1 for the benefits of nursing.
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options

M3CH4N1C, I'm getting a little pissed. You insult people by calling them sheeple. You insinuate that scientists are corrupt, white-washing the whole group as liars, including ME. You come in here with your theories, insult my intelligence and the intelligence of others on this thread when they disagree with you, and I frankly don't get it. You've been on my friends list since I started here and you've been awesome and supportive. I really don't mind that you've got a different-from-me world view, because I value diversity and I've appreciated your input. You've always been kind and respectful on my profile. So... why are you being an *kitten* now?

I LOVE discussions. I've really enjoyed the comments others have made in this thread even if I don't agree with them. Yes, I've gotten a little frustrated sometimes (and I'm sure they've gotten frustrated with me), but I still really value every meaningful comment made here.

But I don't like the insults. They are unnecessary and they ruin a perfectly good thread. Please knock it off.

I personally would like to return to this thread when I have time to do a bit more research on GMOs. I'd like to look for ideas of where to start. I'd like to read the stuff people have posted here. I might even watch those documentaries even though I'm inherently distrustful of documentaries. But I can't do that if we turn this thread into a war-zone and get it locked.

In response to your concern about the formula- I get the feeling that GMOs are everywhere, so I'm not surprised to find them in infant formula. I guess that's a +1 for the benefits of nursing.

Then if you were a friend you would realize he started throwing stones and insulting me first. Tell him, in all fairness, to stop insulting me and I will do the same.
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options

Still avoiding.

Re-state your question then. Now you are avoiding
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    You've dodged several:
    How did the government interfere with their employees health care? have you read GAO reports on the unsustainable business model the USPS has? Not just recent ones but ones for years that have warned about their model

Re: your laundry list of foods containing a "known toxin"
    Are you going to mention which toxin, or should we just guess?

and finally
    Do you know the difference between quote mining and evidence?
  • tigersword
    Options

Then if you were a friend you would realize he started throwing stones and insulting me first. Tell him, in all fairness, to stop insulting me and I will do the same.
    You called him a sheep several times, several pages before he called you a troll. And he called you a troll because you've been acting like a troll. You're being extremely, intentionally inflammatory, insulting broad ranges of people, with things that have nothing really to do with the topic at hand, which is the very definition of Internet troll.
  • amilynnM
    amilynnM Posts: 64 Member
    Options

:drinker: Well said!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I agree – would be nice to stay on topic and not use insults as a way to debate. It doesn’t get us anywhere.

To break the tension, my funny and clever GMO shirt:

210d6oy.jpg

Proceed with GMO and MSG discussion! :flowerforyou:
  • LabRat529
    Options
    I agree – would be nice to stay on topic and not use insults as a way to debate. It doesn’t get us anywhere.

To break the tension, my funny and clever GMO shirt:

210d6oy.jpg

Proceed with GMO and MSG discussion! :flowerforyou:

Cute :D I approve. And you look good in it. You actually have a waist. I'm jealous :(