This person gain muscle or just lose weight?

124»

Replies

• sjpowell24
    sjpowell24 Posts: 7 Member
    The before pic looks fake to me!! who is that big and still have the Shoulders like he does??? hmmmmmmm
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    I'm wondering if this is one of those reversed pictures. As in the first picture was taken after the second one.
    It would seem to be a prime candidate for that kind of trickery.
    I remember someone posting an item about the dishonesty of "weight loss miracles" before and after pics. The buff pic is the before.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    That doesn't even make sense.

Of course you can gain muscle on calorie deficit. As long as you are eating enough of those calories as protein to still build muscle, it just means less fat and less carbs when and where you don't need them.

Every single study comparing weight loss between just diet or diet and exercise or exercise alone shows muscle mass gain while losing weight. Obviously calorie deficit state.

See its posts like this that end up getting me strikes.

Please do your research first before posting this garbage.

Other than those three ways, you cannot build new muscle tissue on a calorie deficit. It's just not possible. Lyle Mcdonald, Alan Aragon, Martin Berkhan will all back this up. New tissue needs energy to grow, energy is calories, and the calories have got to come from somewhere. You still have to consume enough protein in ratio for your LBM but you need to eat the calories in excess of what you burn (TDEE).

The excess energy comes from using the stored fat for your energy needs, and the protein intake for muscle building.
    So you might picture it this way. You are deficit by 500 cal/day, but because of your fat burning to supply energy, while your muscles get the best of everything, you are like 750 cal/day from the point of view of some of your systems. Made up figures BTW, but that's the point, it's not zero-sum gain within the system of your body. You can get your muscles what they want to grow, you just make sure your fat loses out more.

Perhaps you are thinking about a specific already lean muscular body type where this would be difficult/impossible, not the discussion going on in this thread regarding the man in the picture, and probably the majority using this site - who are here to lose weight, dare I say fat weight.

Studies you want, sure, here are a few. And as a weight lifter, perhaps enjoying a site you might call home.
    http://www.musclehack.com/how-to-build-muscle-and-lose-fat-at-the-same-time/

http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/DietExStudy.html

http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/WTCalLBWStudy.html

http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/WT&End.html

Each of those synopsis pages has the study at the bottom.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez/12077732?dopt=Abstract&holding=f1000,f1000m,isrctn
    Thus, we conclude that a carbohydrate-restricted diet resulted in a significant reduction in fat mass and a concomitant increase in lean body mass in normal-weight men, which may be partially mediated by the reduction in circulating insulin concentrations.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez/9417152?dopt=Abstract&holding=f1000,f1000m,isrctn
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Except that in a case of radical weight loss - particularly as you get to a body fat % that would show the six pack - the body is more inclined to lose muscle mass then fat. This dude lost fat and broke his @ss rebuilding muscle. I'm in the same battle myself.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Look at his traps in the before picture, he either was already doing some lifting or he has a naturally muscular physique

^ This.

I would suspect he gained no muscle mass on his cut, but he very obviously was lifting while overweight. You don't get traps and arms like that by sitting on the couch.

DING DING DING
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Hm, I don't know. Either way, whatever he was doing worked for him, he looks good!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    The point is: You cannot gain muscle at an ACCEPTABLE rate unless you eat at a calorie surplus. Period. End of story.

Wow. Your story is changing. It seems no end to it at all.

First you were flat out emphatic that you COULD NOT GAIN MUSCLE WHILE IN CALORIE DEFICIT.

Then you said only obese could get anywhere near doing that. Threw out some figures where it might apply.

Now you say an ACCEPTABLE rate of muscle gain.

So your story changes, and now it's a totally subjective definition, "acceptable".

Acceptable to you? To other body builders going for competition?

Acceptable to someone 20-40 lbs overweight where ever extra pound of muscle means extra fat being burned all the time?
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    So did he have a tummy tuck too? Look at the after on the belly button it looks like it's a little tight. Really he would have loose skin so where did it go?

its called airbrushing
    "Meet the Spartans" had some sexy "air brushed abs' :) mmmhm.

He looks good, whatever he did (which I doubt the site really explains in detail) it worked. I am sure he did lifting while losing weight, I am sure some is natural some is gained. Bottom line to me? He's in great shape, good for him! The rest can be argued until dawn breaks and/or the world ends ^_^
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Or maybe the two pictures aren't even of the same guy. Or maybe he got a nose job after he lost weight and maybe he also got his ears redone.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Think that this is a really interesting thread! Looks like same guy, looks like huge traps, looks like weight loss. Liked reading your takes on the pics.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    The point is: You cannot gain muscle at an ACCEPTABLE rate unless you eat at a calorie surplus. Period. End of story.

Wow. Your story is changing. It seems no end to it at all.

First you were flat out emphatic that you COULD NOT GAIN MUSCLE WHILE IN CALORIE DEFICIT.

Then you said only obese could get anywhere near doing that. Threw out some figures where it might apply.

Now you say an ACCEPTABLE rate of muscle gain.

So your story changes, and now it's a totally subjective definition, "acceptable".

Acceptable to you? To other body builders going for competition?

Acceptable to someone 20-40 lbs overweight where ever extra pound of muscle means extra fat being burned all the time?

I'm glad someone understood it the same way I did.
  • Jeff92se
    Well your definitions keep changing.

From you "can't" to you have to be obese at 28%+ to gain at a calorie deficit to at 20% the gains would be minimal. Why is only a 8% difference seperating being able to gain and gains be too minimal to mention?

I asked for a % to clarify the context. At 28% you seem to imply it's possible(so does other sites so I don't content this). But at 20% gains are almost no possible. That's a 8% spread. I'm not debating your definition of Obese. I'm asking why a 8% difference seems to be the difference inbetween gaining and almost not gaining at all.

Jeff an 8% difference in bf is HUGE. Bodyfat% from 28% to 20% is huge, and 20% to 12% is even more of a big deal. At 12% you practically have ab defintion. Also the higher your bf% the easier it is to lose. The lower it is, the harder. It's VERY difficult to go from let's say 14-15% down to 9-10% and takes a constant calorie deficit.

You will NOT build muscle on a calorie deficit at that low of a bf%. You might even LOSE some muscle.

Do you need further explanation?

Edit: And 8% is no magic number. I was simply stating that someone could be considered obese at 28% bf.

Understanding how to get from one BF% to another BF% isn't what this is about. I understand that. The question is what bodyfat % can you still gain muscle and at what BF% does that stop? I can see ultra low %s being a hinderance. ie.. 5%-10% on a male.
  • Jeff92se
    bump
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    He has clearly gained some muscle on his moobs (sorry, pecs), as they are bulkier after.