how honest should a MFP friend be?

Options

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    okay I have not had this problem until now, I have lots of friends who make their food journal public, and I usually take a look just to see how their day went so I can support them or get good ideas, but what do you do when a person is making such bad choices???? I mean just junk.....do you say something, or keep it to yourself, I really know these people need friends too.....but I just don't know if I can sit by and say nothing!!! Advice?? Anyone??

If you know all the reasons behind their food choices and they are "bad" let them know!
    I made the mistake once when I told a friend that they needed to stop starving themselves to death...yadda yaddah....she just had her stomach stapled! I had no clue! DOH!
    But 90% of the people I have shaken my finger at have better eating habits now.
    So let them know!
    This isnt www.myignorantpal.com!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I am very honest. I feel that if they have the diary available for me to see, then they want feedback. I'll say things like, "Don't forget to eat more veggies" or something like that. I don't comment on a cookie or whatever--I mean, we're allowed to treat ourselves.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    (Read my second paragraph before you make comments about my first) If someone doesn't want anyone to give advice or make suggestions then they should have their food diary private. What is the point of making it public if you do not want any feedback at all?

HOWEVER ... approaching it with concern and friendship and gentleness is how you should do something ... I would also suggest that you (or anyone) have already begun a dialog with the person (i.e. a relationship) before any comments are made. Perhaps they are just starting to go public with their diary and know they are trying to change their habits but are not there yet. Why make them feel bad about their first step to vulnerability and transparency? Just a word of caution too. Relationship first ... if that's not there a comment seems arrogant and judgmental.

Also, if I am friends with someone (already have that relationship) and I see that they are loosing weight by eating 3 oreos and a glass of milk for each meal, I may still say something out of love. If I'm friends with the person I would be truly concerned about them, and "losing weight" is not healthy in of itself.

"Love is about being deeply concerned with another human being and being willing to do something about it." S. Briscoe
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I leave it alone unless I'm asked. And then, I have a rule about honesty and *kitten* kicking. If you ask me for it you are gonna get it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You know what? People can change their lifestyle and still enjoy the things they enjoy in life. I'm a perfect example of that. I don't eat fast food and I don't drink pop. I do, however, enjoy cookies and cake. The vast majority of the food I eat is good (or at least better for me than what I used to eat) and if I want to indulge in a cookie (or more!), a piece of cake (no frosting, please) or something "sugary" as a treat, I will.

Does it mean I'm winging it? Does it mean I haven't changed?

60lbs lost.

145lbs.

Maintaining for over a year.

Yeah. I think I got it all figured out.

Restrict yourself if you choose. I only have ONE life to live and I plan to enjoy it..

This is exactly how I feel too. Restriction has led to failure for me in the past and I'm so glad I finally figured that out! I still eat chocolate almost every day and have still managed to lose nearly 70 pounds. I don't eat as much fast food as I used to but I do still eat pizza or chinese at least once a week. I'm a foodie so it's important to me to enjoy what I eat.

Obviously you've got a fairly mixed response on whether or not you should say something. I mostly don't, unless asked, except for the rare instance when someone complains about something specific and I have some advice that might help (like high cholesterol issues). If you feel really strongly that your MFPal needs some education because they're struggling and/or complaining, go ahead and comment but do so in a private message and preface it by saying something like "I was checking out your diary and wanted to give some helpful advice. If you're not open to that at this time, feel free to stop and delete this now."

Good luck!
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Maybe the challenge to change this food is very easy for you but quite impossible in this friend mind. Instead of "telling" you could ask rather the results match with his/her goals. As an example, you could see 500 cal of chocolate, 1500 of peanuts, 500 of yogurt, 1000 of cashews or pistaches in my diary....but these are what made me spend 17000 calories in a week (MY objective). They were mental gifts for my begining. What I mean is that noone is looking for critics and it might be part of a plan. We do not look for perfection either, we have to know ourselves to know what work with us...I can tell that if I do not have my peanuts on Friday, I will quit in less than a week even though this cal intake is too big for a snack. In my opinion a friend should rather wonder if the intake is impulsive or not. Depending on that, the right advise is always welcome :wink:
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out here, and it's difficult getting my head around starting out. Last night I didn't get to the store to buy my healthy groceries for the week. I was stuck with almost nothing in the fridge and I ended up with cream cheese and Bisquick mix and a Paula Dean recipe (dang her eyes!). So I had a couple cream cheese biscuits for dinner. In my calorie range because I had a protein drink for breakfast and yogurt for lunch, but it wasn't good for me at all. I still logged it. I think I'd rather give a person credit for logging their mistakes and taking ownership of them -- because no one feels good when they fall off the wagon.

Too, you really don't always know where that person's head is or what their circumstances are. By saying something, you could make them feel like that small failure is far bigger than it really was. Some days it's so easy for one little comment to make a person feel like they just can't do this. It's too overwhelming, or too difficult, or they don't have what it takes. I suppose it also depends on how well you know a person. Some people are simply more open to criticism -- even "constructive" criticism -- than others. It's a very real conundrum. But -if- you feel you need to say something, I agree with a lot of people here: put a positive spin on it.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Most people do not welcome unsolicited advice... just from my own life's experiences and my own personal preferences.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I know my friends well enough to know when it's their cheat day or when it's just blatantly a bad streak. I don't chastise, I merely comment when its been a long time since they have eaten healthily.
  • elo83
    elo83 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    A real friend will call you out on it! Ppl sometimes need a kick in the butt.
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    they are aware one day they will wise up and relaize how much of there hardwork & time they are waisting. But I the fresind I have that admitt and say they wanna stop/change those ar ethe ones I hold accountable...
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    How well do you know the person? What is that person going through? What are their needs? If you offer unsolicited advice to someone that you don't know what their current goals and needs are, you could very well be giving the wrong advice to them. Maybe your friend used to eat really bad, and is now working on small changes to get better. Even if that is not good enough for you, it could be so much better than what they were eating before. Maybe your friend is recovering from an eating disorder. Maybe 1000 calories is a lot more than what they were eating before and so much healthier for them now. There are so many reasons why what is working for you may not work for someone else. If someone asks, I will say something. If I know my friend's story and circumstances, I will say something. I am not going to search through diaries of people on here if they aren't asking me to do that.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    it can be hard becasue people log junk and then complain about how they haven't lost weight. Maybe they aren't ready to commit to being healthy just yet? I would ask about it. Not judge or give advice but maybe so you can see where they are at in their journey or what they are doing. Them maybe you can decide to drop them or support them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Being in the Fitness industry and actually dealing with people on a day to day basis, to take away what people really like (especially their favorite junk) will usually lead to weight loss failure in the long run. Anyone can lose weight if they clean up their diet, have calorie deficit and do more physical activity. But will they do it for the rest of their lives that way? No. So once most people reach goal, they indulge in what they used to eat. And that's when the weight returns. I'm sure many here are here for that very reason.
    There is NOTHING wrong with having an "unhealthy" meal or item in your daily eating as long as you are getting in the required essentials from good sources. Unless your doctor says it will end up killing you, I believe moderation of favorite foods in controlled portions will help a person maintain a better weight and also make the journey easier. Nothing worse than a client who always whines that they miss eating _____.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rhaya96
    rhaya96 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I only say something if the person is making ba food choices/not exercising and then turns around and COMPLAINS about the fact they are not losing, feeling better, etc. I'll make suggestions then.
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm always honest...but I dont put them on blast though..if I see a problem or if I want to give them a tip or hint I inbox them.
  • Sookie_182
    Sookie_182 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    sometimes I think it can be ok to say something in as polite a way possible... maybe pm them about it so they don't feel embarassed about it on their page! I know them days when Im being really bold and eating crap I would like ta have some one ta tell me m going off track a wee bit and ta get back into it... :tongue:
  • crodrigu73
    crodrigu73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    IMO, I would say something but in a positive way. For example, one of my best MFP friends will ask me how much water I had if I didn't track. It is great for me to be called on that because I am a diet cokaholic! I will literally not drink anything but that all day. But once she started asking about it I have been more committed to getting my 8 to 10 glasses of water in. I made my food tracking public because I wanted to be held accountable.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Tell the truth and let the cards fall where they may.
    And if they don't like it, too bad.

A real friend is one who'll stand up and say "THE EMPEROR WEARS NO CLOTHES!"
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Amybell68, I would say be brutally honest. I know there was one time when I went a few days without eating a vegetable :embarassed: and even though I was under my calories (which is always my goal), an MFP friend commented that I must not like veggies. the comment refocused me and reminded me that I need to make sure I am getting all the food groups. While I love the "way to go"s, a quick reminder of what is important is also appreciated.

That's my take, anyway.:ohwell: