Starvation mode- I'll probably regret posting...

Options
I know this is a heated topic and I know I can just click search and read a million posts on it, but I'm not going to go through them all. i've done it before.

I don't get it.
(and please don't give me some article that is a million pages long because I won't read it).
Can someone please explain to me in plain english what the big deal is?

If I eat when I'm hungry, and still don't consume 1200 calories, that's "bad"?
But if I force myself to eat JUST because I'm told I "have" to get to 1,200 calories, then I'm training my body that I can eat "just because" and that is what got me over weight to begin with.

Another heated topic, HCG, diet pills, etc. those are FDA approved. I know the HCG diet only allows 500 calories a day. So why is THAT ok but eating less then 1,200 calories without the HCG/etc isnt?

I can understand if I am TRULY starving myself. Not eating when my stomach is growling so loud the entire neighborhood can hear it, just because I'm scared to gain any weight, or because I'm trying to lose weight very quickly.

But again. isn't eating "just because" unhealthy? Why can't I eat until I'm full and not worry about forcing 1,200 calories in me if 1,000 is all needed to fill me up?

this may be asking too much, but please no bashing or arguing. I just want it put nicely, and simple.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Physical need of food is just one factor that contributes to the feeling of hunger.

I would venture to say that mental/hormonal/environmental collectively play a larger roll then the physical need for calories. I this weren't the case, people wouldn't get fat.
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on this, but I think getting at least 1,200 calories in daily is ensuring that your body receives the proper nutrition it needs. I'm not sure you'd be able to meet the daily requirements needed to fuel your body if your eating less than this. Especially if you're keeping up with a proper exercise regime.

If you're having trouble meeting your 1200 cals/day, I would suggest using different types of healthy items to get you to that mark. Peanut butter is a great way to up your cals for the day, as well as healthy oils/fats like olive oil, almonds, avocados, etc.

If you just don't want to eat 1,200 cals, then thats your call to make- no one else's. BUT, I can't help but say that you would just be mistreating your body in the long-run?
  • khotch1
    khotch1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Everything I ever read said if you go under 1200 cals a day you should consult your Dr./Expert. I consider NO ONE an expert in anything so it's your call. If you're able to do everything you're doing and really not starving yourself then kudos!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    1200 is just a number. If you eat 1199 calories you wont be starving, just like eating 1201 won't make you fat. If you're eating mostly fruits and veggies, you will have a hard time getting 1200 calories because you will be very full but you'll have lots of nutrients in your diet. If you're eating lots of processed foods and still can't hit 1200 you're probably missing some key nutrients. Focus on quality of nutrients instead of quantity of calories.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Whoever told you HCG was FDA approved lied HORRIBLY.
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    1200 is just a number. If you eat 1199 calories you wont be starving, just like eating 1201 won't make you fat. If you're eating mostly fruits and veggies, you will have a hard time getting 1200 calories because you will be very full but you'll have lots of nutrients in your diet. If you're eating lots of processed foods and still can't hit 1200 you're probably missing some key nutrients. Focus on quality of nutrients instead of quantity of calories.

Well said lady.
  • leemarie324
    leemarie324 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am suppose to eat 1500 a day and i am lucky if i get over 1100..I am literally just not that hungry to eat my calories, i do snack and eat my 3-4 meals a day, but now that i have started eating healthy i just cannot physically eat my 1500 a day..
  • brasslady1
    Options
    You know this subject kind of reminds of what a Doctor said to me one time after my examination and I was trying to lose weight.....We were discussing meals and such and I mentioned that there were times when I wasn't hungry at breakfast....and he said don't eat if you're not hungry......eating when you arn't hungry is what puts the weight on.........hmmmm kind of makes you wonder huh?
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of scientific knowledge about this, but if I understand, the GENERAL way of things is that our bodies consume a certain amount of calories just breathing for 24 hours (and all the other stuff they do that we can't see). So, the idea is that we need to consume that many calories in a 24 hour period to continue living. Again, I'm sure 1200 is just a general guideline and not what each person needs. I think my BMR (basal metabolic rate) is around 1400 or so. So, the idea is that, if you go below your bodies basic caloric needs to just live, there is a tendency for your body to kick into survival mode and actually begin storing everything it can get it's hands on. This is one reason I think I gained so much weight after age 35, because I used to use starvation as a weight loss technique, which pushed my BMR lower and lower, and when I finally just started "living normally" (long, LONG story), my body stored the heck out of the foods I was eating -- to the tune of about 90 extra pounds, which then would not budge for anything. I think if you are eating and comfortable and maintaining a reasonable amount of physical exercise a few times a week, I would not get so hung up on the 1200 calorie mark. You have to consider that the website is based very much on generalities, and it isn't personally chiding us on the days we don't go up to 1200 calories, it's just an algorithm that's set in motion by 1199 or below. Fasting one day a week is highly recommended by some, so that obviously would not meet the MFP daily caloric standards, but anything done in moderation (even fasting) tends not to be harmful.

How was that? :)
  • jeannette120
    jeannette120 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Any over the counter diet pills are considered supplements and are not evaluated or approved by the FDA. HCG is definitely not approved by the FDA.
  • LovelyMumOf2
    Options
    Ok...I seen a different article saying it was. But didnt see the one from fda.gov.......

I stand corrected. But my argument still stands. Why do I "have" to eat if I'm not hungry?
  • kamk16
    kamk16 Posts: 205
    Options
    I guess I am going to go out on a limb and say if you are making healthy choices and truely are not hungry and only eat 1000 calories some days it wont be a big deal maybe your metabolism just isn't what the 1200 calorie norm is. I personally can't get by without 1300 generally if I eat less I am crabby and hungry. I also believe all calories are are a guesstimate so who is to say that muffin wasn't a little smaller than the rest making it 25 calories less or more than a different one.
    I do believe your body will hang onto fat and weight if you are not consuming enough calories but 1200 is just a general number they use for you it may be less like for me it is more. Get to know your body. That is one of the things using mfp has taught me.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    You need to eat because food is fuel. You need the protein and fats for various functions in the body, and it is hard to hit macros/micros on little calories. If you do not get enough calories and pro/fats consistently then you will be breaking down muscle mass

Your body needs the fuel and essential nutrients to function, recover, and stay healthy
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Sad state of affairs when you have to put that in the title.

ETA: This will probably help you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390234-does-starvation-mode-exist-and-what-is-it
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Ok in simple terms... your body needs at least 1200 calories to keep your organs working properly. When you are not giving your body enough calories or a huge caloric deficit, your body is going to "think" it's starving and start retaining everything you eat in order to protect you from starvation.

The HCG is ONLY approved as a fertility drug NOT as a weight loss supplement. There is no magic trick to weight loss, so just stick to creating a proper deficit.

If you are not feeling hungry try to exercise more so your metabolism runs faster.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help but this confuses me too. I sit at a desk all day and usually eat when I'm hungry which adds up to be 1000-1100 cals on most days. I don't feel like I'm starving myself either, but for someone who might be on their feet all day using more energy might be starving on less than 1200 calories a day. I could be wrong but I feel like the 1200 a day rule can't apply to everyone so I just eat until I feel comfortable.
    Maybe someone who's more of an expert can help?
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be rude..but if you don't think it's harmful, then try it. What's the point in asking people about it. the way you presented it sounds like you have your mind made up. How is anybody going to change your mind about it?
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    Options
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    "FDA approved" does not mean "healthy for you and a great idea to put into your body"