Coworkers are sabatoging me

Options

Replies

• LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    It has to be me!!! It is intentional, She told them she wants to lose weight and they are giving her treats!!! They are NOT being nice, nor thoughtful, nor considerate. We are supposed to be considerate of others. They are not listening, Say, thank you and toss it in front of them. Perhaps, they are all deaf.

Yes, it is intentional.
  • tawanda25
    tawanda25 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Anyone who knows you are on a diet react in different ways...now you know who they are. Don't let it get you down or it will and you will be unsuccessful. So, hang in there. Don't call it a diet. It is a change in eating habits really, not a diet. Stress keeps the weight on so let it go and all your worries. Do this for you; you are in control. Don't expect people you work with to be understanding; Coworkers have their own perspectives. Friends will keep you going, but most importantly you will keep yourself committed if you are ready for a change. I know you can do it.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    You will be a much happier and more successful person if you quit mistaking generosity for sabotage.

Graciously decline their generosity and holiday cheer. No means no. But be nice about it.

And send all that deliciousness to me.
  • revjames
    revjames Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    its the same with smokers, a person may have made the choice to give up but as people constantly offer cigarettes its inevitable that one day that person will succumb. I think that when someone is making good lifestyle choices and seeing results others are envious and find comfort in other people having the same habits - be it chocolate, tobacco or alcohol. Politely refuse, or take it and say thanks I'll give it to my kids, grandkids, nephew, niece whatever. They will soon get fed up of supplying your relatives with chocolate and its a little more polite than throwing it in the bin.
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Actually the only good thing about being diagnosed with diabetes was the ability to honestly say "I'm diabetic, no thanks"; people immediately apologise and take it away. Of course I'm not diabetic anymore since taking off 45 pounds, but people don't have to know that ;)
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    They are not physically forcing you to eat anything, only you can sabotage your diet.

Nothing to be gained by being nasty to co-workers, simply don't eat anything that you wouldn't have chosen to eat. If they put something on your desk, say "Thanks, but as you know I'm dieting" and just move it to one side and ignore it.

To lose weight and keep it off, you are going to have to use willpower for the rest of your life. You may as well start getting some practice in now.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Just say no thank you.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    I have told my fellow coworkers that I'm trying to lose weight, but they keep trying to get me to eat cookies, cake, chocolate, ect. I realize it's the Christmas season, but I'm trying to be healthy an NOT gain a ton of weight during the holidays. I'm getting really frustrated! For instance, last night I told one girl thanks but no thanks to m&ms, but she put it on my desk anyway. Then another girl brought cakes and got mad when I told her I didn't want any but thanks anyway. Now I'm not a souless zombie, and I do budget for treats every day (can't live without Dove Dark Chocolate!) however, I'm tired of them pressuring me to eat junk. The kicker? Not a single one of them are as overweight as I am.

I could really use some encouragement.
    It's hard sometimes when there are temptations, but you can't control what other people do, only how you respond to what they do. It doesn't even really matter what their motivation is. What matters is what yours is. Hang in there. I've found I'm most successful not only when I decide what I'm not going to have but also when I plan for what I AM going to have. It's not enough for me to tell myself I won't eat junk. I have to make sure I have good stuff to eat in its place. Good luck, and happy holidays!
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You have upset the proverbial apple cart by having the nerve to try to control your diet. Changed the dynamics of the relationship -. In the past, they gave you treats and you seemed to like it. They think that you secretly are craving these things and will quietly enjoy them when they aren't watching. Stick to your guns. Be gracious but consistent. If someone offers you something they personally baked, it won't hurt to sample it with just one bite, but that is where I try to draw the line. Nothing is worse than an inconsistent message.

Arm yourself with some good responses:

"Thank you, but I have recently discovered that I have a bad reaction to x. I'm going to have to pass." (Don't necessarily specify that it causes you to break out in fat.)

"Darn, I wish I could, but I'm out of calories for the day." (I use this one with people who know I'm counting)

"My doctor has put some restrictions on my diet for now - I really can't eat it - doctors orders."

"It looks delicious, and it was very thoughtful of you to remember me, but I'm afraid eating that isn't an option for me today. Perhaps ____ would like an extra one." If they ask why it's not an option, pull an embarrassed face and say, "Its rather personal, let's just leave it at that."

"Oh dear - I don't know if you were aware that x gives me migraines. I wish I could, but I just don't dare risk it." (This is true for me of several foods)

Good luck navigating the office treat minefield!
  • mestrydom
    Options
    As a 'skinny' person around someone trying to lose weight, the dynamics are quite strange. The non-dieter feels a little guilty about eating in front of the dieter and feel that they might be insulting them by not offering. They also 'subconsciously' want them to know that they accept them just as they are and 'hardly see them' as being overweight. For most 'skinny' people, eating sweets and cakes have very little effect on their 'bottomline' and they don't have the same 'addiction reaction' to sugary foods as most people do who suffer with weight problems and food addictions... So, they simply don't realise that they are sabotaging your efforts. They feel that a little chocolate or a piece of cake will not upset the apple cart and that you shouldn't be so 'uptight' about it... But little do they know that one bite could unleash an avalanche of negative feelings and railroad weeks of hard work.

So, how to handle it. Be upfront with people and tell them that you are trying to break a habit and need all their support. Even small temptations during the first few weeks (while you're still 'struggling to say no') are enough to push you back weeks and then you'll have to start all over again.

And then set celebration goals where YOU will bring the cake when you've reached a certain goal, or set a date where they will take you out to enjoy this or that when you've reached that specific goalpost.

That puts everyone at ease giving them 'permission' to not offer, makes it a team effort and puts YOU in control.

People who deliberately sabotage your efforts because they don't have the willpower to say no while you do ... Well, there you will just have to stay strong and firmly say "NO THANKS! I would rather be slim and healthy than have a 5 minute cake-fest, as yummy as it does look, thank you very much! Bless you for offering!"

I also like the 'I don't like sugary foods' deal. That has been a favourite of mine for many years. As well as the ... 'If I'm going to take in extra calories, they'd better be GOOD!' (Not just ANY old chocolate/ice cream/ whatever...)

Or just lie! Hahaha! If they offer, just say 'Oh my goodness no, I've just been to lunch and had the most delicious choc pudding... But thanks, I'll give it to the tea lady' -- and then do it!

Stay strong, it's your body and life. :)
  • jean1058
    jean1058 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    1. Nobody is forcing you to eat what they offer.
    2. If you have a significant other or children at home, simply wrap the item(s) up and give it to them.
    3. Bake a low-fat or sugar free item to share with your co-workers.
    4. Lighten up, it's the holidays.

Just my opinion. The people at my workplace eat constantly. There is always some kind of munchie or goodie around. I occasionally bring in a vegetable tray (with fat free dip) or fruit. They will eat healthy if it is around. I found that they still offer me things but are really nice about it and don't get offended if I decline. They know I bring things home for my husband and even offer to wrap things up for him.

I have decided that I AM IN CONTROL OF MY OWN DESTINY and can not blame anyone else for what I choose to eat.
    Good luck.
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from. The past week at work as been sure hell. Everyone in my group knows I am trying to lose weight and yet they keep offering me junk food. They even choice a greasy bbq joint over my healthy options as the teams lunch spot. I feel your frustration:explode: :mad:

I've had a person sit muffins, chocolate, cookies, cakes, etc next to my desk. And yes I was pissed off. I'm sorry but it is insensitive to keep offering people food when they said no. Especially someone who has verbalize that they are trying to watch their weight.

Being overweight or fat is not just about visual appearance but it is actually a health issue. Would you offer diabetic cookies or an alcoholic a drink. Why is losing weight any different. If I were you I would not care about hurting anyone's feelings anymore. Just let them know that at this point you are trying to lose weight to actually save your life. Maybe than they will understand.

Good luck!
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I have a co worker who does this. Whenever i go to work she is trying to force me to eat junk food so she feels better about eating it. It was OK when I used to do that but now I do she just constantly tries to get me to eat it, to the point of always buying me something. She often takes the mickey out of what I a, wearing to. Yes it is easy to say just don't eat it but when you have a problem with food it is not as easy to just say that. It is like tempting a recovering alcholic with a drink or a drug addict with something.
  • mestrydom
    Options
    artemisacorn! Love your responses! :)
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    The more you resist the temptation the more you build up your tolerance to the temptation, the more you build up your tolerance the easier it get's to not give in. This was one of the most important lessons I learned while trying to lose weight. Unless they are filthy horrible people, which I am guessing they aren't since they are friends of yours, they are not doing it on purpose, like others say trying to be nice. I would accept the challenge, take it, give it to someone else or throw it out. Soon enough they will realize you're in it for the long haul and stop offering. You can resist, and remember the longer you resist the easier it becomes.
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have told my fellow coworkers that I'm trying to lose weight, but they keep trying to get me to eat cookies, cake, chocolate, ect. I realize it's the Christmas season, but I'm trying to be healthy an NOT gain a ton of weight during the holidays. I'm getting really frustrated! For instance, last night I told one girl thanks but no thanks to m&ms, but she put it on my desk anyway. Then another girl brought cakes and got mad when I told her I didn't want any but thanks anyway. Now I'm not a souless zombie, and I do budget for treats every day (can't live without Dove Dark Chocolate!) however, I'm tired of them pressuring me to eat junk. The kicker? Not a single one of them are as overweight as I am.

I could really use some encouragement.

Be encouraged then, jmikes2010. I love this "problem"!!! Why? Because you will get lots and lots of practice repetitions of destroying what was once (hopefully) to you perfectly good food. Destroy it girl. Don't just toss it in your trash. Open it, pour tons of catsup on it, salt it or otherwise make it totally unappetizing - immediately - then just as quickly throw it out. CAUTION THOUGH: Don't do this in front of the people giving it to you. Remember, the goal is not to make enemies but to be a better friend to yourself.

Healthy life is handing you a perfect opportunity to be stronger in the willpower department. Be true to yourself and take the challenge and beat it!!! I'm rooting for you.

-Debra "Last Sixty"
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    After two years of my new lifestyle, people at work know that if they offer me food unexpectedly, I will turn them down saying that I don't have unplanned food events at work. I encourage them to offer though because I tell them I get extra credit for the "turn downs". If I have enough "turn downs" during the week I give myself a special treat on Saturday (sometimes food, sometimes a other rewards). If people mention in advance that they are bringing in cake or something for a birthday, I do make an attempt to have a little something, because I have been able to plan. I have learned to be polite but firm, beyond that I don't worry about how the person offering will react.
  • honor82
    Options
    I honestly think that they are just trying to be nice to you. I agree on accepting the treat and then throwing it away when they walk away. I've done this a few times myself. I got a package of cookies a week ago and guess what, it's still on my desk. It's called willpower and everyone has it somewhere.

If they sit and talk after giving you the treat say or make a comment as to why you're not eating it say, "I think I'll take this home and have it after dinner, my stomach is giving me trouble".
  • Jw9576
    Jw9576 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I usually tell people that I AM ALLERGIC ( insert offending food here )
    I have only told my closest friends I am dieting - people somehow unintentionally think THEY know whats best for you, your diet, etc
    So to not offend anyone, the "Allergy" card almost always works.....:devil:
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    they didnt start offering me this stuff until after i told them i was trying to lose weight